Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: Porsche Macan

I like it a lot in white. the black does look a little dull. 

So I am confused, the smocks of the workers making the body are Porsche smocks. In the National Geographic video on the making of the Panamera, the smocks are definitely VW smocks. 

Who and where are the bodies made?

--
    Porsche owner since 1975.

CGX car nut:

Porsche SE, controlled by the Porsche and Piech families, holds over fifty percent of Volkswagen's common stock; however, Porsche AG, the automaker and the point of discussion here, was subsumed by Volkswagen.  Therefore, Volkswagen management, with some oversight by Piech, among others, make the major decisions for Porsche, the automaker.  The Porsche and Piech families received additional compensation from Volkswagen for other holdings, i.e., sales and distribution networks, in addition to the sale of the automaking component. 

Porsche SE of course...sorry...had a different company in mind and with all those SE, SA and AG and whatever... Smiley Still, the Porsche family owns the majority in Volkswagen, you cannot deny it (and yes, Piech is part of the Porsche family too). The stock may not allow them the control they would need to fully control the company but I guess Piech made it pretty clear in the past who runs the show at Volkswagen.

Piech still controls Volkswagen and Piech loves Porsche, believe it or not. One 918 has written his name on it. Smiley

I don't understand all these comments with Volkswagen and Porsche, they usually come from people who seem to think that Volkswagen is something bad (and yes, I know that Volkswagen has a bad reputation in the US). Volkswagen owns Audi, Lamborghini and Bentley and I won't even mention Bugatti and others. So while I get your point, I don't understand how it matters. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

vtrader:

So I am confused, the smocks of the workers making the body are Porsche smocks. In the National Geographic video on the making of the Panamera, the smocks are definitely VW smocks. 

Who and where are the bodies made?

Panamera, Cayenne and Macan bodies are not made by Porsche but what does it matter? The assembly, the engines, etc. is Porsche, even the Diesel engines have been modified to Porsche needs/requirements, they didn't just put the Porsche badge on them and used their own software.Smiley

Even on the first Boxster (986) and 911 (996), some parts were from Volkswagen and actually, many modern cars are using parts from the same suppliers, just made for their own needs and purposes. So I really don't understand the big deal with Volkswagen. Btw: The rear view camera system for the 991 Turbo/S also comes from Volkswagen as far as I heard.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Some time in the recent past, and perhaps even now, 911 body shells were made and supplied by BMW.   

RC, 

You make a big deal about assembly. Recall that most 986 and 987 cars were assembled by Valmet, a contract company in Finland. 

Speaking of VW parts, I hope they have re-engineered the failure-prone plastic-impeller water pump they used to use in the M96 motor (sorry, not "failure-prone" but a "regular wear item"). At least the 986 and 996 had bespoke stalks for turn signals and wipers, not the cheap hollow parts in the current cars. 

Wonderbar:

Some time in the recent past, and perhaps even now, 911 body shells were made and supplied by BMW.   

Not complete body shells, but individual pressed metal body panels, which were then welded together in Porsche's body shop in Zuffenhausen. 

--

fritz

fritz:
    Wonderbar:

Not complete body shells, but individual pressed metal body panels, which were then welded together in Porsche's body shop in Zuffenhausen. 

That is what it was, the first bodies are made in Zuffenhausen before actual production is moved to VW.

RC: I was just curious, VW has always played a role in suppling parts since the first cars in the 50s.

--
    Porsche owner since 1975.

Thanks Fritz, I should have been more clear about the BMW  body panels.  And Porsche is very open about the fact, as factory tour guides often mention it...

1387216791274Porsche Zuffenhausen.jpgvtrader:
    fritz:
    Wonderbar:

That is what it was, the first bodies are made in Zuffenhausen before actual production is moved to VW.

RC: I was just curious, VW has always played a role in suppling parts since the first cars in the 50s.

Not the 911 bodies. They are still built at Zuffenhausen before being transported across a main road on a glass-walled transfer line (see pic)  to the final assembly line in "Werk 2". 

--

fritz

RC:
    CGX car nut:

Porsche SE, controlled by the Porsche and Piech families, holds over fifty percent of Volkswagen's common stock; however, Porsche AG, the automaker and the point of discussion here, was subsumed by Volkswagen.  Therefore, Volkswagen management, with some oversight by Piech, among others, make the major decisions for Porsche, the automaker.  The Porsche and Piech families received additional compensation from Volkswagen for other holdings, i.e., sales and distribution networks, in addition to the sale of the automaking component. 

Porsche SE of course...sorry...had a different company in mind and with all those SE, SA and AG and whatever... Smiley Still, the Porsche family owns the majority in Volkswagen, you cannot deny it (and yes, Piech is part of the Porsche family too). The stock may not allow them the control they would need to fully control the company but I guess Piech made it pretty clear in the past who runs the show at Volkswagen.

Piech still controls Volkswagen and Piech loves Porsche, believe it or not. One 918 has written his name on it. Smiley

I don't understand all these comments with Volkswagen and Porsche, they usually come from people who seem to think that Volkswagen is something bad (and yes, I know that Volkswagen has a bad reputation in the US). Volkswagen owns Audi, Lamborghini and Bentley and I won't even mention Bugatti and others. So while I get your point, I don't understand how it matters. 

Never said the Volkswagen connection was troubling; it were your comments that pointed in that direction of dialogue.  I view the Volkswagen input as a very positive addition to Porsche, and it compensates for the limited resources of Porsche.  Volkswagen has competences and economies of scale that Porsche, as an independent company, would never be able to leverage.  

Recall that Wiedeking launched the VW takeover because of then concerns that VW was a takeover target from other automotive companies including BMW and Mercedes.  Porsche was very fortunate to be able to take advantage of its high gross margins to fund the foray into the optioned fueled takeover attempt, all was well until the credit markets began to freeze in August 2007.  Then from late 2008, Porsche's takeover attempt led to the near failure of Porsche.  

I believe the best way for VW to be involved with Porsche is to just open a blank cheque book, and shut the f up and wait for instructions from Porsche on what they need. If VW do anything beyond that they are just stupid. 

--

Whoopsy:

I believe the best way for VW to be involved with Porsche is to just open a blank cheque book, and shut the f up and wait for instructions from Porsche on what they need. If VW do anything beyond that they are just stupid. 

VW expended capital to bail Porsche AG out of its self-created financial mess; therefore, VW is more than entitled to expect a prescribed rate of return on its investment, and that includes active participation in Porsche management.

hunterone:

Black doesnt fit the car. Imho white looks way better.

looks like an Infinity imoSmiley

--

2013 Lotus Evora S/ 2008 Cayenne GTS Manual

2012 991 C2S -PDK / 2010 997.2 turbo cab manual, sold //2008 RS 60 sold /04 C4S sold - 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

An interesting little read here. Shame to read about the cost-cutting with the rear brakes.

rulesdontapply

Seven Things You Need To Know About the 2015 Porsche Macan

The elephant in the room is roughly the size and weight of an adolescent elephant. We’re at a backgrounder for the 2015 Porsche Macan where the engineers intend to prove that their new crossover is not just a rebadge job. Yet it appears that they’d like to distance their Macan from the Audi Q5 it’s based on without actually saying the words “Audi Q5.” The closest they come to acknowledging the common DNA between these two is confessing that the Macan is built on “an excellent corporate platform that is well-proven in the market.”

Typical of the Volkswagen Group, the Macan is corporate parts-sharing done right. Porsche’s small crossover is as much an Audi Q5 as a $20,000 Volkswagen Golf is a $40,000 Audi TT. The Macan has its own powertrains, a distinct design, and those very expensive Porsche acronyms like PASM, PTV Plus, and PCCB that denote unique features. The seven facts below clarify where the Q5 and Macan have common ground and where they part ways.

1. The Six-Cylinder Gas Engines Are Exclusive to the Porsche Brand

The Macan’s 3.0- and 3.6-liter V-6 engines, both augmented by a pair of turbochargers, are restricted to Porsche’s use, according to engineers. That means you won’t see them in a Volkswagen, an Audi, or any other brand that belongs to the VW Group. The engine exclusivity doesn’t apply to the forthcoming diesel V-6, though. That powertrain is already used in the Q5 TDI.

2. The Seven-Speed PDK Is a Porsche Transmission

Our American-market Q5 uses an eight-speed, torque-converter automatic, but European Q5s are available with a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic. That fact made us suspicious that the Macan’s PDK transmission, with seven forward gears and the same two-clutch technology, was actually the Audi S tronic gearbox working under a pseudonym. It’s not. We’re told the Macan’s transmission is genuine Porsche hardware like the PDK used in the Panamera.

3. The Clamshell Hood Is also an Air Duct

The Macan’s styling isn’t exactly new, evocative of a Cayenne that’s been left in the dryer for too long. The massive aluminum clamshell hood, however, is unique among modern Porsches. Beyond looking awesome in its raised position, it also plays a functional role with the outer skin and the inner panel forming a pocket to channel air from the grille to the air boxes. Intake air passes through the main grille, bends upward ahead of the radiator, enters the hood pocket, spreads toward either side of the engine, and is sucked through the air filters, which seal against the hood with a rubber gasket.

4. Those Clumsy Steering-Wheel Shift Buttons Are On the Way Out

There’s no mistaking the Macan’s cabin for anything other than a Porsche. The front-and-center tachometer, the rising console, and the deeply bolstered sport seats are instantly familiar. The steering wheel, however, is an all-new design that’s due to spread throughout the lineup. It’s inspired by the 918 Spyder’s steering wheel with thin spokes and small buttons to control the gauge cluster’s information screen. Best of all, it does away with the awkward push-pull shift buttons that have plagued automatic-transmission Porsches for years. Instead, there are proper paddles—right for upshifts, left for downshifts—for manual-mode shifting.

5. It Turns In Quicker

Both the Q5 and the Macan use fixed-ratio, electrically assisted power steering. However, the Macan features a quicker 14.3:1 rack compared to the Q5’s 15.9:1 ratio, making the Porsche more responsive to smaller inputs.

6. If You’ve Ever Been In a Q5, You’ll Recognize the Floor Pan

Open one of the Macan’s rear doors and you might recognize the tall center tunnel, the wide sills, and the cramped foot well. Those are characteristic traits of the Audi Q5 and an indicator that, while every body panel is new, the Macan does share its core underpinnings with the Audi.

7. The Rear Brakes Use Sliding Calipers

Here’s the one real compromise Porsche made in adapting the Q5 mechanicals for the Macan. Because Porsche retained an electric parking brake, but wouldn’t install an auxiliary caliper on each rear knuckle, the rear axle is fitted with sliding calipers borrowed from the Q5. Even when you put up the cash for the optional carbon-ceramic brakes, Porsche merely paints the same binders yellow. Perhaps Porsche needs to consult with BMW, which has exactly the hardware Porsche needs—opposed-piston rear calipers with an integrated electric parking brake—on its new M3 and M4. The decision to use sliding rear calipers shouldn’t stretch stopping distances significantly. The Macan’s relatively high center of gravity means the six-piston front binders do most of the work. Still, the sliding calipers smack of taking the easy way out rather than spending the money to develop an appropriate solution for a Porsche.

Source:  http://blog.caranddriver.com/seven-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-2015-porsche-macan/

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S

Regarding the PCCB brake: I heard a couple of months ago that the Macan PCCB brake will be much cheaper than on the Cayenne or any other Porsche model for that matter. At the same time, I heard that Porsche uses "PCCB discs" only in the front, not in the rear (I think this was even mentioned here in the forum). At that time, I considered both rumors pure crap but now they seem to become a reality. Interesting read, thank you.

--

RC:

Regarding the PCCB brake: I heard a couple of months ago that the Macan PCCB brake will be much cheaper than on the Cayenne or any other Porsche model for that matter. At the same time, I heard that Porsche uses "PCCB discs" only in the front, not in the rear (I think this was even mentioned here in the forum). At that time, I considered both rumors pure crap but now they seem to become a reality. Interesting read, thank you.

There's also another related rumor: the reason the PCCB brake will be much cheaper is because Porsche will be pricing this option per individual wheel - in order to avoid sticker shock for those new Macan customers who must have the best Porsche brakes, they will be able to specify which wheel they want this option on. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Porsche Macan - Exterior Design...

Porsche Macan - Exterior Design - Video Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

I get the marketing stuff but I still think that comparing the Macan with the 911 or even the 918 is a little bit, how to put it...dumb?! angry Most buyers will get the Macan because it has a Porsche badge on it and because it looks similar to the Cayenne. Instead of comparing the Macan with the 911 or 918, even design-wise, they better remind people why they should get a Macan instead of a different small SUV in the same segment.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Autocar video of the Macan

http://youtu.be/TCPtCmcCWMw

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basaltblack metallic
    2012 Audi SQ5 TDI | Lavagrey metallic

2015 Porsche Macan -- Autocar riding shotgun on road and off-road...

"The new Porsche Macan will launch in Europe in April 2014, and is set to become one of Porsche's biggest sellers. We ride with the development team to see if the Macan can live up to its badge. The new Porsche Macan is planned to become the German marque's best-selling model, and will launch in April to take on the likes of the Range Rover Evoque. The car may be based on the Audi Q5 platform, but company engineers believe they have done enough to make the Macan very different to drive. It is sharp enough, they say, for the Macan to be called a 'sports car'. We take to the passenger seat with Porsche's engineers to find out if the Macan can live up to the hype..."

2015 Porsche Macan -- Autocar riding shotgun on road and off-road -- Video Link

2015 Porsche Macan -- Autocar riding shotgun on road and off-road -- Article Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

RC:

I get the marketing stuff but I still think that comparing the Macan with the 911 or even the 918 is a little bit, how to put it...dumb?! angry Most buyers will get the Macan because it has a Porsche badge on it and because it looks similar to the Cayenne. Instead of comparing the Macan with the 911 or 918, even design-wise, they better remind people why they should get a Macan instead of a different small SUV in the same segment.

It looks "dumb" but that is the whole trick Smiley They are making Macan even more appealing with that comparison. They dont want to mix with competition, they want to be above it. I like to study all Porsche moves very closely, and all about Macan promotion is very close to marketing perfection.

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

Milanno:
    RC:

It looks "dumb" but that is the whole trick Smiley They are making Macan even more appealing with that comparison. They dont want to mix with competition, they want to be above it. I like to study all Porsche moves very closely, and all about Macan promotion is very close to marketing perfection.

I hope you are right. Maybe I see it different because I own Porsche sportscars but let's hope the marketing department knows what they are doing (usually, they do...). I am also curious how they are going to differentiate the Cayenne from the Macan because they cannot claim the Cayenne is heavier or less sporty...for more money. It will be a challenge.

--

RC:
    I am also curious how they are going to differentiate the Cayenne from the Macan because they cannot claim the Cayenne is heavier or less sporty...for more money. It will be a challenge.

They just done that with new marketing strategy for Macan. Future Cayenne will be promoted as "unique" all purpose vehicle in Porsche`s range with strong connection to first generation of Cayenne, as Porsche˙s best selling model. Macan will be always attached to Porsche`s sports models, not to Cayenne. 

I must admit Porsche and Ferrari are marketing masters Smiley

--

Milanno:
    RC:
    I am also curious how they are going to differentiate the Cayenne from the Macan because they cannot claim the Cayenne is heavier or less sporty...for more money. It will be a challenge.

They just done that with new marketing strategy for Macan. Future Cayenne will be promoted as "unique" all purpose vehicle in Porsche`s range with strong connection to first generation of Cayenne, as Porsche˙s best selling model. Macan will be always attached to Porsche`s sports models, not to Cayenne. 

I must admit Porsche and Ferrari are marketing masters Smiley

I remember Your last rendering you've posted. I think it was Panamera Coupe. I can't find it...Can you post again please? Smiley

--

SportCarGroup:

I remember Your last rendering you've posted. I think it was Panamera Coupe. I can't find it...Can you post again please? Smiley

Those renders are from Tigran Lalayan, as its accented on renders. Take a look here: http://www.rennteam.com/forum/page1.html?vs=12#post7

--

Millanno, I agree that Porsche will try to connect the Macan to sports models, but to the general customer it will be a decision based cost first, then whether they want a small or a larger SUV. 

Wonderbar:

Millanno, I agree that Porsche will try to connect the Macan to sports models, but to the general customer it will be a decision based cost first, then whether they want a small or a larger SUV. 

The Macan will attract a lot of cost conscious people but maybe not right now, maybe after a year or two. Right now, lease offers are not very good, rebates are minimal at best and the second hand market will be pretty much empty within the first 12 months or so. I bet that Porsche will sell every single Macan they produce, so people who want to save a buck or two for not going for a Cayenne may be out of luck at first but after two to three years of production, the Macan will be a mass product and it will be one which will sell pretty well, even on the used car market. Unless they encounter any quality issues but I don't expect that. Porsche had enough time to prepare for the Macan and they know how to develop/build a good SUV (Cayenne).

Still have to convince my wife to get a Macan in two years or so when her X3 lease runs out but she is very worried about fuel consumption, so I'm afraid she is going to choose a Macan S Diesel and not the Turbo.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803826 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448691 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266294 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90148 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6720 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886010 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834023 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM