Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 Turbo S - Short Driving Report (owner)

RC:
    reginos:

Incredibly low consumption. Speed of tailwind?

Nope. This is really possible all the time. I tried however to get way below 7 liters and this is, unfortunately, impossible.

6.9 liters / 100 km are possible from time to time but thats it, I couldn't get it lower.

An average of 7.4 liters / 100 km is possible all the time if you put car in auto mode and activate the cruise control. Even for a longer period of time. When I do that, the fuel consumption alternates between 6.9 and 7.4 liters, sometimes up to 7.6 liters. Speed needs to be 105 kph at max., PDK auto mode, cruise control and no Sport modes.

I am impressed. With the above formula I never managed below 8.5 liters/100km on the 997.2 S.

Porsche must have done lots of homework since the previous models.

--

"Form follows function"

Popped by my dealer today and finally see a 991 Turbo S in person. Was surprised to see one actually in stock and not sold. Then found out why.

White with 2-tone black/red interior. Looks gorgeous. BUT, that idiot ordered YELLOW seat belts. To match the yellow callipers. I think he forgot he had ordered red/black leather. What a shame.

Having said all that, was very tempted to buy it, especially when I can hold the seat belt issue against the selling price as it's not too much trouble to retro fit different colour belts.

But the list price is high, all told that car is asking 225k+. 

--

Any updates on the glass roof rattling? 

rubaga:

I picked up my 991 Turbo S the other day. Did not get to drive it too much - about 50 km so far. The weather was really bad. Wet snow. 0 degrees C. Roads covered with showy water.  I drove to the dealer on my wife's MB G'wagen.

I was very surprised that Porsche handled better the road. I certainly felt more confident. The last few km to my house is hard pressed snow with ice. The grip on that surface was quite remarkable. I think the overall handling of the car as well as winter tires are very good.

I am very happy with the first experience in the car.

Thank you so much for sharing these photos with us. You just cannot imagine how much I love photos like that, the 991 Turbo S as it is intended to be driven, as a daily driver and in the worst weather and road conditions. Smiley Everyone can show cleaned up and polished cars, these photos get boring fast though.

Thanks again for the treat, I really enjoyed your short report and pics.

Btw: Your winter tires are still new. Give them 500 km or so and they will be much better than now. Just be careful for the next couple of hundreds of km, especially on snow and ice but also especially on wet surfaces.

Here is a photo from my garage (yesterday). Smiley

schmutz.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Thanks RC. The advice regarding engine, brakes and tires run in procedures are duly noted. Unfortunately I will be away for the next two weeks so will not be able to drive my car. Once I am back I will continue exploration of the great car in extreme conditions.

PS. Your garage and it's content look great. 

rubaga:

Thanks RC. The advice regarding engine, brakes and tires run in procedures are duly noted. Unfortunately I will be away for the next two weeks so will not be able to drive my car. Once I am back I will continue exploration of the great car in extreme conditions.

PS. Your garage and it's content look great. 

Thanks.  Smiley I wouldn't mind a 918 instead of the Boxster S though. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Would not most of us))). Not writing all given discussion in the La Ferrari thread

rubaga:

I picked up my 991 Turbo S the other day. Did not get to drive it too much - about 50 km so far. The weather was really bad. Wet snow. 0 degrees C. Roads covered with showy water.  I drove to the dealer on my wife's MB G'wagen.

I was very surprised that Porsche handled better the road. I certainly felt more confident. The last few km to my house is hard pressed snow with ice. The grip on that surface was quite remarkable. I think the overall handling of the car as well as winter tires are very good.

I am very happy with the first experience in the car.

A few pictures.

1387819031213image.jpg

1387819031194image.jpg1387819031203image.jpg

Great choice. I love it in white. Поздравляю с обновкой Smiley

I can see there's another 911 Turbo is covered, or I'm wrong?

--

Yes there is. Not sold yet

reginos:
    RC:
    reginos:

Nope. This is really possible all the time. I tried however to get way below 7 liters and this is, unfortunately, impossible.

6.9 liters / 100 km are possible from time to time but thats it, I couldn't get it lower.

An average of 7.4 liters / 100 km is possible all the time if you put car in auto mode and activate the cruise control. Even for a longer period of time. When I do that, the fuel consumption alternates between 6.9 and 7.4 liters, sometimes up to 7.6 liters. Speed needs to be 105 kph at max., PDK auto mode, cruise control and no Sport modes.

I am impressed. With the above formula I never managed below 8.5 liters/100km on the 997.2 S.

Reginos my Cab is heavier than your coupe and I manage to get 7,7L and even less, so you can do better for sure.

J.Seven

It would be nice to see the average consumption over 250 km, not 25.

Anyone?

Anyone?

lovely White Turbo !

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

FYI for the metric impaired, this is 31 mpg (US)

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

JAMS:

Anyone?

Anyone?

The point is these modern turbo engines with highish compression ratios and DFI can achieve very low consumption if driven at low constant speeds, (something like an old 930 with 6.5:1 CR and mechanical injection could never hope to manage.) yet can also have massive performance (with fuel consumption penalty if required) - with 800hp my 3.9l turbo Mezger can go from the party trick 8l/100km (35.5 miles per imperial gallon) to about 40l/100km (7 miles per imperial gallon) at full chat on the autobahn, this is a feature of a good engine and the turbo S also has it but the average will be entirely the reflection the driver and where/how he drives, The average for a driven turbo S should be around 16l/100km (17 miles per imp gall) 

--

3.9  GT2 2011 make over

JAMS:

Anyone?

Anyone?

Driving with Sport mode turned off but without "withholding" myself brings up an average fuel consumption of 16 l / 100 km. If I turn Sport mode on, it is around 17 l / 100 km. This is average fuel consumption, including city, Autobahn and so on.

You can easily manage 12-13 l / 100 km without Autobahn and under 10 l / 100 km without much Autobahn/city driving.

On a US highway at a somewhat steady speed of around 65 mph, I am pretty sure that 30 mpg are easily possible.

Btw: My Boxster S (981) has an average fuel consumption of currently 15 l / 100 km. Ouch. Driving mostly through the city but with Sport mode turned on.

--

Thanks, RC. Not THAT much worse than my Golf R (11-12l / 100km). What I find irritating in a daily driver is having to fill up every 250 miles; rarely do I get 300 miles to a tank. I wish there was a larger tank option in the Turbo. My wife, who is more interested in MPGs than HP, is very smug about her 500+ mile-per-tank hybrid! (I refer to it as her transportation appliance!)

JAMS:

Thanks, RC. Not THAT much worse than my Golf R (11-12l / 100km). What I find irritating in a daily driver is having to fill up every 250 miles; rarely do I get 300 miles to a tank. I wish there was a larger tank option in the Turbo. My wife, who is more interested in MPGs than HP, is very smug about her 500+ mile-per-tank hybrid! (I refer to it as her transportation appliance!)

Porsche could probably offer a bigger fuel tank (let's say with 30-40% more capacity) if they would cut down on the luggage room in the front luggage compartment. I say "could" because I don't know about crash/technical issues, etc.. I don't care much about the low fuel capactiy but I sometimes miss the 100 l fuel tank of my former Cayenne GTS. Smiley

--

Latest batch of photos (please look away if you're into auto detailing indecision).

1388512645460tt1.jpg

1388512664092tt2.jpg

1388512723635tt3.jpg

1388512746398tt4.jpg

1388512764013tt5.jpg

1388512784130tt6.jpg

1388512803114tt7.jpg

1388512822049tt8.jpg

tt10.jpg

1388512857582tt9.jpg

--

Beautifull pics RC ....  Are u 100% satisfied with your car ? Mine will arrive mid to end Jan .... Enjoy it in good health and thanks for providing us with such a great forum. Happy new year !

--

2014 991 Turbo (on order, Nov Prod)
    2012 991 C2S w/Fabspeed SOLD
    2011 Ferrari 458 Italia Rosso Mondiale / cuoio
    2011 Turbo S Cab SOLD
    2010 BMW AH7 
    2010 Caddy Escalade
    2006 Cayman S First P car, SOLD

Tnanks RC--you are certainly enjoying this thrilling car. Your decision to replace the black Panamera Turbo S was the right one.  And don't worry about not getting a black 991TTS (as you mentioned on the 918 forum).  Your next car should be matte brown so ii doesn't show the dirt.Smiley

Another great year on Rennteam, thanks to you and everyone who contributes.  Can't live without my Rennteam fix!

Thanks, guys. So far, I am very happy with the car. Have now over 5000 km, not a single issue, only one (preventive) software update (AWS fix), oil consumption amazingly low (half of oil level, never filled her up) and car runs like hell. Sound got better too (raunchier), I can tell from the people turning their heads. indecision

Average fuel consumption is around 17 liters / 100 km, which is closer to my Boxster S (15-16 liters) than I thought.

As you can see in the photos, I haven't forgotten my rallye roots. I love driving along small country roads, you don't need very high speeds to have fun and I can easily oversee the road pretty far since there aren't usually many trees or buildings. Also these roads usually have lots of twists and turns and I love it. My son prefers the Autobahn because he usually gets sick fast in the passenger seat on these country roads. Smiley

I also love the Pirelli Sottozero Winter tires, they provide a lot of grip and a lot of feel for the road. Steering precision is excellent, the rear comes quite gently and predictable, the PSM setup in Sport mode is perfect, not too restrictive but still good enough to prevent any serious issues even on slippery pavement. Traction is an issue from time to time though when the pavement is wet and it is very cold. I adapted by not fully accelerating, otherwise the rear starts dancing before the PSM kicks in. With PSM turned off, the behaviour is controllable but not really fun, I would leave it to Sport mode in winter time. Even Sport Plus is a bit too much (or better said: not enough) for winter time, my rear came quite nicely with Sport Plus on but I didn't expect that much sliding, so I wouldn't use it in winter time, especially if the roads aren't completely dry.

When driving on country roads, I usually leave Sport mode on and raise the front lip and rear wing to create more downforce. The car is basically glued to the pavement, very nice drive feel. Steering precision is razor sharp, even with the winter tires but I have to say that the suspension is sometimes not capable of filtering every bump when in PDCC Sport mode. Not as bad as the 20 mm chassis on my Boxster S though.

To make it short: The 991 Turbo S is an excellent sports car and an excellent daily driver.

HAPPY NEW YEAR, guys...may all your dreams come true, especially the ones involving cars. Smiley

--

Dear Christian, thanks! Wish you all happy NY! When will see 991 tts super test?

J.Seven:
    reginos:
    RC:
    reginos:

Reginos my Cab is heavier than your coupe and I manage to get 7,7L and even less, so you can do better for sure.

J.Seven

I tried, unsuccessfully to achieve RC's low consumption at average 105 km/h. 

At 90km/h with cruise control it does 6.5-6.7 L/100 kms

--

"Form follows function"

Happy new year, fellow Rennteamers!

Christian, very nice car. Keep on sharing your feelings with us. Diversity of opinions and enriched discussions is what makes this forum such a great place.

--

1987 911 Carrera 3.2 - 1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2012 Cayenne Diesel - 2013 Mini Cooper S - 1995 BMW318ti

Christian,have you washed the car??SmileySmileySmiley

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

Real world average over 830 miles (1336km) = 20l/ 100km

Lead foot?

mpg's.jpg

This is quite weird. I have an average of aprox. 17 l / 100 km, mixed driving (incl. speeds up to 240 kph...winter tires). I drive in Sport mode only and I almost always fully accelerate. PDK is in auto mode most of the time. 

--

Super Darius:

Christian,have you washed the car??SmileySmileySmiley

Yes, I washed it and a couple of hours later... Smiley Winter weather over here, no chance to drive around in a perfectly clean car for more than a couple of hours...or a day at best. Smiley I'm actually waiting for the cold and sunny winter weather when the roads are dry. However, the salt on the roads usually makes up for the missing dirt, so instead of getting dirty and black, the car gets salty and white. Smiley

--

RC:

HAPPY NEW YEAR, guys...may all your dreams come true, especially the ones involving cars. Smiley

--

Thanks RC and the same to you. Smiley

In my case I'll need a considerable financial miracle - 991 GT3.....   Smiley

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

Update re. my 991TTS.

My insurance picked up the slack (I had uninsured and underinsured driver coverage) and declared total loss on my car.

I will not lose my deductible nor suffer any penalties ,since the other driver was found to be 100 % responsible.

I don't want to compromise and even though my dealer offered a Black 991TTS with no options I decided to sit back and take my time before deciding what car to get next.

For now just got an E63S with AWD as daily driver.

I wonder if my car wasn't the first totalled  new Turbo in US...... 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM