Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

I love the shape and proportions of this car. Can't wait to see some of that trickle down to… the next Boxster? Or, preferably, something above the 911.

Is it just me or isn't it also impressive for the 991TT how much the 918 needs to be pushed to follow the car in front ? - despite that Dickie always reels the car on the straight in - I am impressed by the Red car too

From the 2 reviews I have read on that press day, the 911TTS is being driven by Timo Kluck, Porsche's own factory pro and it's driven to the edge. 

All the journalists who were on hand had to back off in order not to hit Kluck. Consider the average skills of journalists, one figured the 918 is being driven at at most 70%. 

--

What an amazing car! The fact it is a Spyder makes it so much more appealing. NO doubt the Le Ferrari and P1 look much more futuristic and glamorous but they probably cannot deliver the driving experience that the 918 does.

Whoopsy, good purchase!kiss

The amazing part still depends on the person. Some people still dream of Porsche taking out the hybrid system and make a lighter car. But what's the point? Porsche has been there and done that already, there is zero challenge as Porsche slap together a great one in a little as 6 months, but as a company they gain nothing doing it.

I too think I made the right choice in the 918. It's an investment towards future better Porsche cars that I will purchase. 

Oh a little rumour is circulating that McLaren might do a P1 spyder, they think the market cannot get enough of their P1 and wants to milk the 12C platform some more. Current P1 buyers has to be PISSED if the spyder ever comes out.

--

Whoopsy:

From the 2 reviews I have read on that press day, the 911TTS is being driven by Timo Kluck, Porsche's own factory pro and it's driven to the edge. 

All the journalists who were on hand had to back off in order not to hit Kluck. Consider the average skills of journalists, one figured the 918 is being driven at at most 70%. 

Of course the 918 is faster than the 991 Turbo S on the track but Timo Kluck is really one of the fastest Porsche test drivers and I doubt that many car journalists without a racing background could follow or even get closer to him. That guy in the video clearly wasn't backing off... Smiley

So why didn't Timo Kluck use the 918 instead? Well...I can only guess but I suspect that they wanted to keep the journalists at bay, so they do not crash the 918. It wouldn't be the first time. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:
    Whoopsy:

Of course the 918 is faster than the 991 Turbo S on the track but Timo Kluck is really one of the fastest Porsche test drivers and I doubt that many car journalists without a racing background could follow or even get closer to him. That guy in the video clearly wasn't backing off... Smiley

So why didn't Timo Kluck use the 918 instead? Well...I can only guess but I suspect that they wanted to keep the journalists at bay, so they do not crash the 918. It wouldn't be the first time. Smiley

It appears that a journalist for the Sunday Times had a rather embarrassing moment at the 918 Spyder launch...

"My £710,000 crash course in the future"

Porsche’s plug-in hybrid is a dazzling performer — which makes pranging it all the more embarrassing, confesses Giles Smith in this week’s First Drive...

(1 December 2013)

"WHAT AN honour it was last week to be invited to a racetrack in Spain to be one of a select group of journalists granted the chance to try out the long-awaited new Porsche 918 Spyder.

To know the privilege of sitting behind the wheel of one of only six pre-production models made available to the world’s press of this staggering high-performance model.

To be trusted with holding in my own hands £710,000-worth of quiveringly newborn, limited-edition super-sports car that, with its fusion of breakthrough eco-engineering and record-shattering aplomb, is potentially the very future of motor racing.

Reader, I crashed it..."

...apparently he ended up parked in a gravel trap! Smiley

Smiley Smiley Smiley

RC:
    Whoopsy:

This week Chris Harris' video of the 918 on the Valencia track will appear, but what I saw in a preview he seems to be driving without a lead car...SmileySmiley  (Not  100% sure though...but at least he was drifting all over the place again)

--

Suzy

They use the lead car to show the uninitiated the correct cornering lines around an unfamiliar track. It also serves to show just how quick a 918 is, as a journalist can keep up with a test driver in a Turbo S.

Chris Harris does not require a lead car for obvious reasons.

Spyderidol:

They use the lead car to show the uninitiated the correct cornering lines around an unfamiliar track. It also serves to show just how quick a 918 is, as a journalist can keep up with a test driver in a Turbo S.

Chris Harris does not require a lead car for obvious reasons.

But how do you judge which journalist is capable enough to drive without a lead car?  Smiley  Is mr. Röhrl judging everyone in a line.... You can drive without, you too... You? oh no! You are terrible, you'll definitely need a lead car!! Smiley

--

Suzy

If I were a journalist, I think they can put a monkey in a Turbo S and I won't be able to keep up lol

Pretty easy to predict who needs a lead car if they check they journalists' record :)

--

Whoopsy:

If I were a journalist, I think they can put a monkey in a Turbo S and I won't be able to keep up lol

Pretty easy to predict who needs a lead car if they check they journalists' record :)

Monkey=Chris Harris Smiley (His own words)

And yes indeed... Good point, checking their record Smiley

--

Suzy

It's pretty easy - all the journalist without Monkey... smiley

SuzyF:
    This week Chris Harris' video of the 918 on the Valencia track will appear, but what I saw in a preview he seems to be driving without a lead car...SmileySmiley  (Not  100% sure though...but at least he was drifting all over the place again)

I guess Chris Harris can handle the 918 (he certainly had some time in the car Smiley) but many car journalists don't have the necessary background and/or knowledge/skills to be 100% safe in such a car. 

Personally, I would handle the 918 with the utmost respect and I've driven the Carrera GT already at a pretty fast pace (Sutil wasn't really much faster in his car Smiley). Actually, the 918 fascinates me much more than the Carrera GT because it is full of electronics and that hybrid stuff, which makes a geek and gadget lover like me salivate and drool all over the place. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

SuzyF:
    Whoopsy:

Monkey=Chris Harris Smiley (His own words)

And yes indeed... Good point, checking their record Smiley

--

Suzy

My unintended intended unintended punt!!

--

I just caught sight of a rather tasty product information PDF document at an OPC, extremely detailed about all things 918. If I were a prospect for this car I would be hassling my sales person for a discreet copy.

The thing which stood out immediately were the acceleration figures:

0-200kph normal version 7.8s Weissach version 7.7s

0-300kph standard version 23s Weissach version 22s

So the faster Weissach version does 200-300kph in 14.3s. This is a little slow for this power and type of car I would have thought. 

The other thing which caught my eye which is also probably a reason for the above high speed performance,

at 300kph front axle gets 105kg down force and rear axle 194kg, that is pretty serious.

--

3.9  GT2 2011 make over

This is old data...

--

sportcars-history.com

kudryavchik:

This is old data...

I think the PDF is quite new and certainly many pages of details with ring time comparsions with/without track tyres etc....

--

3.9  GT2 2011 make over

TB993tt:
    kudryavchik:

This is old data...

I think the PDF is quite new and certainly many pages of details with ring time comparsions with/without track tyres etc....

What was written about the time with track tires?

1 minute 18 seconds

bluewonder:
    1 minute 18 seconds

What do you mean? Smiley

Sorry, i was in humour mode.
    I am just a big fanboy

TB993tt:
    kudryavchik:

This is old data...

Around 3 weeks ago Porsche announced new acceleration and e-mode figures. 0-200 7.2 sec and 0-300 19,9. Normal package is 20,9 sec.

Interesting document! What was a lap time with race tyres? It is very interesting to compare with zonda r and 599 xxSmiley

--

sportcars-history.com

Porsche 918 Spyder tested by Chris Harris...

Chris Harris has driven the 918 Spyder and his brain is still trying to catch up

(13 December 2013)

So I landed on Valencia last week knowing one thing: that for all its fanfare and astonishing statistics, the Porsche I had most been looking forward to driving in 2013 was not the 918 hypercar, but the decidedly blue collar (it's all relative) 991 GT3.

This was a mostly track-based event, completely track-based for us because we wouldn't have the time to shoot a video and head out onto the roads. Seems strange to admit that I can't tell you what the 918 is like on the public highway, but I suppose you want to know what it's really like to drive.

We've all read endless tech stories and we all understand that the 918 is a proper plug-in hybrid, unlike the KERS equipped DieFerrari and P1. Suppose we ought to see what it's like from behind the wheel.

887hp makes 918 'naffing fast'

Sharp end

Alarmingly fast, is the first observation. More on this in the forthcoming video but the way these finished versions drive really does bear little resemblance to the pre-series cars we sampled earlier in the year.

For fast laps, I drove the 918 in Race mode, using both electric and fossil power, but still allowing some energy recuperation. The straight-line performance is hypercar standard: 0-62mph in 2.6 seconds, 0-125mph in 7.3 seconds. I was driving a non-Weissach package car, which means 40kg more weight.

Even on an open, unintimidating circuit like Valencia, the 918 shrinks the straight bits between corners like few cars I've driven. Throttle (and motor) response is seemingly instant, but it's the seamless interplay between electricity and combustion that renders this car a masterpiece and, I think, should leave all us flat-earthers mighty relieved about the future of the fast car. The front axle and rear axle motors punt the 918 out of turns with such violence that following a new 991 Turbo S becomes a complete pain. You have to back-off to avoid clouting the back of it.

The noise from here is epic

Stage two - ignition

And then as the electric shove recedes, the flat-plane V8 comes to life, pulling hard from 4,500rpm, then building and building until 8,000rpm - whereupon it then yelps to 9,000rpm and the driver has to pull a lever to upshift, or just leave the superb PDK transmission to shift itself.

There's a hard-edged blare of induction noise in the cabin with the roof on, but it's merged with these fantastic electric sci-fi whining noises. With the Targa panels removed it sounds like a 458 Spider switched to eleven.

The chassis at first felt wholly synthetic and unconnected. I could turn the car easily, brake into the apex and then accelerate away, but all the time I was leaning on the electronic systems in a way I hadn't before. Normally the first thing I do is switch everything off - in the 918, for the first eight laps I simply didn't dare. The ESP light was flashing through 120mph turns.

ESP was flashing at 120mph...

Thinking man's hypercar

Take time to understand the 918 and it becomes more and more phenomenal - to the point that I feel genuinely stupid at ever doubting the team of engineers behind its creation. The calibration work required to make it handle the way it does it little short of a triumph. You can trail-brake right into the apex of a turn in a way that wouldn't be possible without the torque vectoring 4WD system. Grip on the special Michelin SuperSports is very, very strong - although the front shoulders were beginning to wear after several fast laps. Being a road car, there has to be some an understeer safety window, but it's small, and almost always removable with the right foot.

And then of course you can pootle around in full electric mode for 18 miles, if you so desire. Or, my favourite trick this one, you can slide down the pit lane silently, then engage Sport mode on the steering wheel and blast into turn one. Or you can run in Hybrid mode, which means electric drive, until you push the throttle pedal just-so-far and it triggers the V8 instantly.

Familiar but with some lovely new details

Real deal

It's just all so new, so undeniably cool. And it's underscored by two things - the first of which is the rampant performance.

The second is perhaps more important in the marketplace: this feels like a fully-finished Porsche production car, not some low-volume special. The cabin is familiar Porsche in some ways, but the curved TFT screen and touchpad stereo/navigation console is intuitive and no doubt prefaces future Porsche interior design.

I also happen to think the car looks quite beautiful now. What a transformation from those early prototypes.

On the second day of the event, we went back to the circuit and I switched all the safety systems off.

By which point you're probably asking 'where's the video'? Watch this space. (see below)

For now, rest assured that far from being the slightly sorry-looking underdog in the hybrid hypercar market, as it undoubtedly was back at the Geneva show. The 918 is here, it works, it has gone sub-seven minutes at the 'ring. It does things no other road-registered machine I've driven can match. It's also naffing fast.

PORSCHE 918 SPYDER

Engine: 4,593cc V8, 6.8kWh lithium-ion battery and electric motors
    Transmission: Seven-speed dual-clutch auto, four-wheel drive 
    Power (hp): 608@8,700rpm (V8 engine), 286@6,500rpm (electric), 887@8,500rpm (combined)
    Torque (lb ft): 676-944 (overall system, depending on the gear)
    0-62mph: 2.6 seconds (2.5 seconds with Weissach Package)
    Top speed: 214mph (93mph on electric)
    Weight: 1,674kg (1,634kg with Weissach Package) DIN
    MPG: 91 (94 with Weissach Package) NEDC combined
    CO2: 72g/km (70g/km with Weissach Package)
    Price: £652,849 (£712,088 with Weissach Package)

CHRIS HARRIS VIDEO: PORSCHE 918 SPYDER

No protoype disguise, no nervous engineer beside him and no need to hold back - Chris on the 918

(18 December 2013)

Many things have been written about the Porsche 918 Spyder by Chris Harris. Usually prompting replies of 'great - now where's the vid?' or similar. Well, we've already had two of course. First time round Chris was wary of Porsche's hybrid monster, asking the obvious question of why didn't they just leave all the electric gubbins behind and make it into a new age Carrera GT.

Second time and Chris got to drive it himself, any cynicism about the hybrid age reaching the supercar world harder to maintain in the face of the irrepressible project leader Dr Frank Walliser.

Since then we've had the Frankfurt unveiling, that lap time at the 'ring and, finally, the first chance to really drive it as intended. Of the three hybrid hypercars the Porsche is the only one you could still feasibly buy and it's the only one the likes of us will get to drive Review get to drive like this and talk about, given that both LaFerrari and the McLaren P1 are all sold out and accounted for.

Enough words though. It's time to enjoy the vid...

Porsche 918 Spyder tested by Chris Harris -- DRIVE video link

...many thanks and all due credit and respect to Chris Harris and Porsche!

Smiley SmileySmiley

Hypercool--I can't breathe, I can't breathe...

Out of speechangel

Chris is the best!

--

sportcars-history.com

Harris is a real hero. Note the fact that he's following another 918, not a Turbo S indecision

We will see vestiges of 918 in a couple years in other Porsche models for substantially less money.

Best part is that he is now a convert.

In his earlier video on the 918, he was still a doubter, wondering why Porsche didn't do another Carrera GT, why bother with the hybrid stuff. Now he finally understands and 'get it'. He must have thought it was a pipe dream of what Porsche has promised the car will do before, but I think Porsche has totally delivered, plus more. I don't recall watching him get so excited in any other of his reviews.

--

Oh, I think I found out one of the secrets Porsche used to tune and blend in the physical brakes with the regen braking, something McLaren found totally too complicated and abandoned in the P1.

It would seems like Porsche engineers have added a temporary storage tank for brake fluids. So when the brakes were initially applied, the brake fluids didn't act on the calibers, but got stored and the computer use the motor regen to brake. When the .5g regen braking is exceeded, the system releases the brake fluids back into the brake circuit and act on the calibers and do the physical braking. Clever.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM