Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: Porsche Macan

I love this Mauer guy.  Just when I think the Macan may not be a great car for me, he starts talking about proportion, new hood and light design, a 911 like rear window, a 918 steering wheel--and I get hooked again.  And his German/English accent makes it all sound so technical but appealing.  

I can feel my wallet moving about in my rear pocket...

Wonderbar:

I love this Mauer guy.  Just when I think the Macan may not be a great car for me, he starts talking about proportion, new hood and light design, a 911 like rear window, a 918 steering wheel--and I get hooked again.  And his German/English accent makes it all sound so technical but appealing.  

I can feel my wallet moving about in my rear pocket...

Smiley Smiley Maybe I found the job if I should immigrate to the US: German sales person for Porsche at a US dealer in Florida. Smiley I will kill with my German accent. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:

Smiley Smiley Maybe I found the job if I should immigrate to the US: German sales person for Porsche at a US dealer in Florida. Smiley I will kill with my German accent. Smiley

Just like Matthias Muller Smiley

--

SportCarGroup:
    RC:

Just like Matthias Muller Smiley

Smiley Smiley I have to be careful here... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

angry

--

Here's review from CAR magazine:  http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/Porsche-Macan-S-2013-CAR-test/

Sound pretty good....

--

Suzy

SuzyF:

Here's review from CAR magazine:  http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/Porsche-Macan-S-2013-CAR-test/

Sound pretty good....

I'm confused: did the writer actually drive the car, or was he riding along in the passenger seat? I thought it was the latter. But in that case, how is he able to comment on the steering? ("The electro-mechanical steering is light and quick and even fuel-efficient, and takes a middle ground between for feel and weight.")

I wonder about these automobile rags and their ever decreasing standards.

He did drive it. The article in the magazine is longer than the web version and it is clearer there.

Kacher is a respected journalist, even if a bit Porsche biased.  This Car article is clearly a general piece, but not fluff either.

BTW, the driver Guido Majewski slalomed  my son and me in a Cayenne on a frozen river in Finland (Camp4), and was the driver who delivered our Cayenne Turbo S to us at the Leipzig plant in 2009.  Great driver--if a bit crazy fast...

Wonderbar:

Kacher is a respected journalist, even if a bit Porsche biased.  This Car article is clearly a general piece, but not fluff either.

BTW, the driver Guido Majewski slalomed  my son and me in a Cayenne on a frozen river in Finland (Camp4), and was the driver who delivered our Cayenne Turbo S to us at the Leipzig plant in 2009.  Great driver--if a bit crazy fast...

That shows how 'not' independent this reporter is.... A factory aligned driver - how objective is this.

Lars997:

That shows how 'not' independent this reporter is.... A factory aligned driver - how objective is this.

His drive would have taken place before the car was released – in one picture you see Katcher peeling of the headlight camouflage.  I would assume it was a Porsche requirement that he not be left alone with the car.

ISUK:

He did drive it. The article in the magazine is longer than the web version and it is clearer there.

The article actually states:

This is our first experience of the new SUV, and we're riding shotgun with Porsche engineer, race driver and 918 customer-scarer, Guido Majewski.

I'm not aware of any press cars yet but maybe I'm wrong. (my information is aprox. ten days old).

--

I should have paid more attention: I did not realize the author was Georg Kacher, whose reviews I used to look forward to. 

Still, not clear to me that he actually drove the car.

Over the years I have found Kacher likes cars thaty handle well even if they don't offer much in the way of feedback.  If he's saying the steering takes the middle ground on weight and feel then I'm a bit worried.

--

Gen II Cayman S

Any more info on the red option?

Two questions:  1.  Is PTV recommended for a Macan Turbo?

2.  If you get carbon fiber multi-function steering wheel, do paddles come with it?

Wonderbar:

Two questions:  1.  Is PTV recommended for a Macan Turbo?

2.  If you get carbon fiber multi-function steering wheel, do paddles come with it?

1. Yes

2. Yes

Smiley

--

Suzy

Now that's a fast and helpful reply!  Thanks Suzy!

Going to be interesting to see how Porsche differentiates Macan from other Cayenne models.  For example, the Macan Turbo will outperform a GTS (probably even a facelift), and be strong competition for slightly used (or even new) Cayenne Turbo.  If Porsche just emphasizes roominess, that's not very convincing.  Any thoughts, folks?

It is difficult to criticize Porsche marketing. They have been right on just about every model. I never thought the Cayenne would be successful and yet it saved the company. Who would have thought the sedan would be a hit?

The reality is their sport car segment is facing strong headwinds. Having an entry SUV Crossover model is perfectly timed. This market is hot and they will sell a ton of them. AND yet they are still selling a great number $150,000-$200,000 SUV's! This is beyond what my puny mind can comprehend.

I decided not to exchange my Cayenne GTS with a Macan Turbo next year, when the Macan shows up at dealers.

The reason is pretty simple: Only a few Macan Turbo will make it to dealers next year and since demand is high, the lease offers are crappy (to say at least). To give you an example comparison: I could lease a brand-new 991 Carrera Cab (value around 128k EUR) for less money than a Macan Turbo (value around 98k EUR). Just not worth it.

If you don't want (or need) a Macan in 2014, it may be a good idea to wait a year or two and then, the lease offers (and rebates) will be much better (higher). Many dealers in Germany give only 3% on a Macan Turbo, over 10% (I won't say a precise figure) on a 991. Just an example.

So I am actually doing something pretty weird: I will exchange my Cayenne GTS with a...Boxster S (981). Fully optioned, 20 mm sport chassis, PDK, Sport Chrono, sport seats, sport exhaust and so on. It doesn't cost me a cent, lease rate stays the same (3 years). Then, in two years, when my wife's X3 lease runs out, we are getting a Macan.

Me and my wife had a little chat yesterday and she is right: We don't really need two SUV but she badly wants (and needs) a Cab. So far, we were looking into the F-Type or even a Boxster S but now it seems to be the best solution: Cayenne GTS goes for a Boxster S, X3 35D stays as a family SUV and the Macan will replace the X3 in two years, when the prices and lease rates of the Macan will be in more "civilized" regions.

Just wanted to share this with you since I really think that right now, the Macan prices/lease rates are a bit high.

This is the car:

2013-12-12_10-06-26.jpg

2013-12-12_10-06-53.jpg

2013-12-12_10-07-19.jpg

--

I have to admit - that looks awesome to me..

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

RC:

I decided not to exchange my Cayenne GTS with a Macan Turbo next year, when the Macan shows up at dealers.

The reason is pretty simple: Only a few Macan Turbo will make it to dealers next year and since demand is high, the lease offers are crappy (to say at least). To give you an example comparison: I could lease a brand-new 991 Carrera Cab (value around 128k EUR) for less money than a Macan Turbo (value around 98k EUR). Just not worth it.

If you don't want (or need) a Macan in 2014, it may be a good idea to wait a year or two and then, the lease offers (and rebates) will be much better (higher). Many dealers in Germany give only 3% on a Macan Turbo, over 10% (I won't say a precise figure) on a 991. Just an example.

So I am actually doing something pretty weird: I will exchange my Cayenne GTS with a...Boxster S (981). Fully optioned, 20 mm sport chassis, PDK, Sport Chrono, sport seats, sport exhaust and so on. It doesn't cost me a cent, lease rate stays the same (3 years). Then, in two years, when my wife's X3 lease runs out, we are getting a Macan.

Me and my wife had a little chat yesterday and she is right: We don't really need two SUV but she badly wants (and needs) a Cab. So far, we were looking into the F-Type or even a Boxster S but now it seems to be the best solution: Cayenne GTS goes for a Boxster S, X3 35D stays as a family SUV and the Macan will replace the X3 in two years, when the prices and lease rates of the Macan will be in more "civilized" regions.

Just wanted to share this with you since I really think that right now, the Macan prices/lease rates are a bit high.

This is the car:

2013-12-12_10-06-26.jpg

2013-12-12_10-06-53.jpg

2013-12-12_10-07-19.jpg

--

Wisdom comes with age... Smiley Smiley

Good choice Christian and it's a beautiful car! Love that color on the Boxster. Makes it look more expensive for some reason. You are not gonna regret this. Boxster really is an awesome car.

Regarding the Macan, i'm backing off for the same reason. Probably will go for the Macan in two years, unless other interesting vehicles come on the market (Next gen Q5?).

--

Suzy

very good decision and very nice car  Smiley Hope your wife enjoys it

The 981 really looks like a mini Carrera GT. I was a big fan of the F-type until I saw it in real live. For some reasons it looks better in the pictures. So good choice.

I will keep my Cayenne S until the 4 year warranty expires. Maybe then get a Macan GTS or Turbo..

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

SuzyF:

2013-12-12_10-06-53.jpg

--

Wisdom comes with age... Smiley Smiley

Good choice Christian and it's a beautiful car! Love that color on the Boxster. Makes it look more expensive for some reason. You are not gonna regret this. Boxster really is an awesome car.

Regarding the Macan, i'm backing off for the same reason. Probably will go for the Macan in two years, unless other interesting vehicles come on the market (Next gen Q5?).

--

Suzy

I always liked the Boxster S but I would have never bought one as the only Porsche for me for various reasons I elaborated in the past.

This car is just perfectly optioned, especially the 20mm chassis, PDK, Sport Chrono and the Sport Exhaust were important. My wife isn't too pleased with the interior color (black), she wanted something more like my 991 Turbo S or at least some red stitching but this is a dealer car he has in stock and it is a take it or leave it kind of deal (he takes my leased Cayenne GTS in in exchange, no questions asked).

Maybe you cannot see it on the above photo but the car is really very low, the 20mm chassis makes a huge difference. Not sure how comfortable it is going to be but I don't care. I will use this car as a daily driver and my wife will use it whenever she doesn't have the kids (not very often though). Another advantage of the Boxster S: Unlike the Cayenne GTS, this car eats only 12-13 liters / 100 km fuel in average versus the 19-20 liters on the Cayenne GTS. Not that I ever cared but it is worth mentioning. The Boxster S doesn't have any traction issues (like my previous C63) in winter time, so I can use it, with winter tires, on snow too. If there is too much snow, I can use our Mini Countryman, so no real problem here. Smiley

I really wanted the Macan Turbo but I'm not that crazy about the Macan, so I'm not willing to pay a premium in lease rates just to drive the Macan Turbo that early, especially since we already have another SUV in the family. In this case, patience is a virtue. 

--

As a Boxster S owner I have to say „Congratulations!“

And after all the trouble I had with my local Porsche dealer we (my wife and I) canceled our Maccan plans. I don’t want to spend premium money when I am treated like a fool. My father once told me “different fathers have beautiful daughters, too”. Well, maybe not that beautiful, but maybe with a much better character.

Does anybody here have some experiences with the Alpina (BMW) X-D3? 350PS sounds not bad at all

RC:

I always liked the Boxster S but I would have never bought one as the only Porsche for me for various reasons I elaborated in the past.

This car is just perfectly optioned, especially the 20mm chassis, PDK, Sport Chrono and the Sport Exhaust were important. My wife isn't too pleased with the interior color (black), she wanted something more like my 991 Turbo S or at least some red stitching but this is a dealer car he has in stock and it is a take it or leave it kind of deal (he takes my leased Cayenne GTS in in exchange, no questions asked).

Maybe you cannot see it on the above photo but the car is really very low, the 20mm chassis makes a huge difference. Not sure how comfortable it is going to be but I don't care. I will use this car as a daily driver and my wife will use it whenever she doesn't have the kids (not very often though). Another advantage of the Boxster S: Unlike the Cayenne GTS, this car eats only 12-13 liters / 100 km fuel in average versus the 19-20 liters on the Cayenne GTS. Not that I ever cared but it is worth mentioning. The Boxster S doesn't have any traction issues (like my previous C63) in winter time, so I can use it, with winter tires, on snow too. If there is too much snow, I can use our Mini Countryman, so no real problem here. Smiley

I really wanted the Macan Turbo but I'm not that crazy about the Macan, so I'm not willing to pay a premium in lease rates just to drive the Macan Turbo that early, especially since we already have another SUV in the family. In this case, patience is a virtue. 

--

The 20mm lowered chassis lookes great. It's 10mm lower than the PASM. I don't kniw how the ride is, but I guess it's not a problem for you.  That 12-13 liters is pretty optimistic though! ;) okay, for daily commuting and with PDK, you'll probably manage to get that kind of fuel economy, but I can't get it lower than 15-16 to be honest. (Mine is a manual, so that can be a big difference of course)

Haven't driven mine in snow, so I have no idea how it is. (She is in hibernation right now) Didn't want to spend on extra wheels and snow tyres, because I probably wasn't gonna use the car much in winter anyways.

You realky made a good decision. Boxster is a fun car to drive and completely different fun than the TTS, so it's a nice addition.Smiley

--

Suzy

Itsme:

As a Boxster S owner I have to say „Congratulations!“

And after all the trouble I had with my local Porsche dealer we (my wife and I) canceled our Maccan plans. I don’t want to spend premium money when I am treated like a fool. My father once told me “different fathers have beautiful daughters, too”. Well, maybe not that beautiful, but maybe with a much better character.

Does anybody here have some experiences with the Alpina (BMW) X-D3? 350PS sounds not bad at all

Trust me, the "standard" 313 hp of the X3 35d (my wife has one) are more than enough to make you happy. She easily outruns my Cayenne GTS from standstill. Unless you drive a lot on the Autobahn, save your money and stick with the standard car. It is really very very quick and torque is great.
    Sorry to hear about your Macan "trouble" but right now, it seems that Macan demand is pretty high and prices are therefore high too. It will change 2015, maybe even end of 2014.

Thanks regarding the Boxster. The decision has a lot of logic behind it and my wife really wants a Cab. Unfortunately the Boxster will be my daily driver (especially outside winter time), so I'm not so sure I will be that happy with it but I hope so.

--

981S with Sports Suspension looks great .. really improves the stance!

Look forward to your driving impressions.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    782186 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442926 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263526 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261972 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    86029 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6038 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881713 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819913 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM