Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

New family SUV ordered...

My wifes 2010 Range Rover Sport is up for replacement. So we test drove the GL350, X5 3.0d/5.0d, Range Rover Sport 3.0d 292HP, Cayenne Diesel, Jeep SRT).

How did we rate:

• GL – to big but driving was really fun. We love the optic (with AMG package) and really had great emotions driving the car. Almost bought it but the dealer was not able to make the right offer. He came back after the weekend but then we had the doubs regarding the size.... bad for him!
    • new X5 – to boring, dont misunderstand, from the technology and feel a perfect car, but also just another BMW – nothing special about and you will see it on every corner sooner or later
    • RRS – great exterior but  inside zero emotions on test drive. The interior is boring and lots of things just been reduced to cost efficiency instead driver experience. I would have been ok with it but my wife just hated it (and she was the one which must had the last RRS - because she loves RR!).
    • Cayenne –  great from emotions. Good looking interieur/exterieur. Normal Diesel would have been all we needed (the S was not available for testing). But - 5 months after delivery there will be a huge facelift (Autumn 2014) which is a killer arguement for me.  
    • Jeep SRT – The SRT got our attention during a vacation in the US. The neighbor of our friends had one and we instantly like the design of the car. After returning home we made an test drive and loved the ride - it sits and feels on the streat like a sports car and not like an SUV. The seats have been the best of all contestants and the stereo just want to let you stay in the car forever. I dont have to say anything about the engine - the car kicks insane - but that was not what we have been looking for... but sure - adds a lot of emotions. 

How did we decide - we ordered an SRT. Why - emotions. It just felt so good on the street and you will hardly find any of these cars on the street (only 70 will make it to Germany) Obviously it doesn't fit the contestant group - we should have compared the SRT with an Cayenne Turbo, AMG GL63 or X5-M - but from the total cost level it goes exactly into this group (lease, fuel, inspection and insurance costs). 

So - that's the first US car we will have. I hope I will not regret but its a toy and more or less my wife's car. The car is due to delivery in beginning of 2014 - will send pictures asap after we having it.

That's the color she choosen "SRT redline" - interior will be Sepia leather

Re: New family SUV orderd...

Nice one. Way to break out of the ordinary.  I've seen a few driving around town and I'm curious what wheels did you choose? I've seen two with the standard wheels and it didn't look so great, the other one had another design and it looked perfect. 

I gotta say more RT members are buying outside the usual brands. The competition is putting out some great products lately. 

Great choice, Lars. kiss I love it. Can't wait for the first photos and a driving report.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Good choice. Congrats!

Enmanuel:

Nice one. Way to break out of the ordinary.  I've seen a few driving around town and I'm curious what wheels did you choose? I've seen two with the standard wheels and it didn't look so great, the other one had another design and it looked perfect. 

thanks Enmanuel - we ordered those rims - called "black vapor chrome"

Very nice. Thanks god no bling bling chrome rims. kiss

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:

Very nice. Thanks god no bling bling chrome rims. kiss

never ever chrome rims... those are black but shiny... only alternative. I ordered matt black rims for the winter - lets see what looks better Smiley

Wow! congrats! One of the few American cars that I realy like a lot! Beautiful color and wheels!!

--

Suzy

Lars :   beautiful . I still have not gone for my test drive  But as you know  no 3rd row is a deal breaker .

The Grand Cherokee is selling very very well over here . It must be the full size SUV I see the most at the moment .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

Lars :   beautiful . I still have not gone for my test drive  But as you know  no 3rd row is a deal breaker .

The Grand Cherokee is selling very very well over here . It must be the full size SUV I see the most at the moment .

In Switzerland you always been more open to US cars. In Germany people are bit more "bourgeois" Smiley. You hardly see any Grand Cherokee over here... funny!

Never noticed that SUV before but now that I look at it, it is quite good looking, congrats Lars! wink

--

Lars997:

In Switzerland you always been more open to US cars. In Germany people are bit more "bourgeois" Smiley. You hardly see any Grand Cherokee over here... funny!

And probably supporting local manufacture, which is understandable . As we do not produce cars we tend to be open to anything . BTW :  there are also quite a few   GL on our roads .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Lars997:
    Gnil:

US cars have a bad reputation in Germany and sometimes, especially when it comes to certain cars, without a reason.

Just yesterday, I mentioned to a friend at dinner that I like the Ford Mustang GT 500 Shelby. You should have listened to his comments, never heard so much crap. I get the reputation of a Corvette for example (even if I don't agree) but saying that the car is bad or slow, is just not true. The new Corvette seems to be quite an offer, especially compared to the competitors. I also mentioned the Camaro Cab my wife almost got this summer and the following comments were quite hurting, even for someone who is open minded like me. Apparently there is nothing better than BMW out there. Smiley

--

That looks bad ass, with a soundtrack to match I'm sure! Congratulations!

Porker:

That looks bad ass, with a soundtrack to match I'm sure! Congratulations!

This is exactly what I would associate with a US SUV with a V8. Bad ass. Nice. Smiley

--

I went to the local Jeep dealer .

There would be this white SRT available immediately . For a test drive they only offered that I try the diesel , but I was not interested to test that one . If I get serious they will let me try the SRT.

The prices are very good for what you get . Quality of the interior  is still no at par with the German cars , but as it is different and cheaper, I could live with that easily .

Talked to my wife. The lack of 3rd row remains a problem and a no go for the moment …. unless I am VERY insistent smiley

1386770680001photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

The old Grand Cherokees looked much more interesting IMHO. This car doesn't know what it want to look like...

Congrats on your moustache and earring, Gnil! smiley

Thanks Porker !

harrison-ford-moustache.jpg

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

Thanks Porker !

harrison-ford-moustache.jpg

Smiley

That is THE typical Swiss US-car driver.

@Gnil:

if you choose the full leather package its quit nice inside. You will get this high end leather (http://www.autoevolution.com/news/srt-adds-luxurious-sepia-laguna-leather-to-its-lineup-63895.html) - same what they use in Ferrari's. Also - the ceiling and pillars are then in Suede leather. Unfortunately its only available in Caramel but the quality is amazing soft as the suede leather also gives an extra valuable feeling. I ordered that.

Regarding test ride - I was also shortly driving the Diesel. A complete different car, nothing to do with the SRT. The suspension and chassis is completely different. The road feel of the Diesel is very nice and actually feels not that much different than Range Rover or BMW (gear box is similar). But as said - the SRT is a sports car with a SUV body - 100% different feeling than a Diesel. Also the Diesel has an comfortable air ride which is multiple adjustable while the SRT comes with quit stiff Bilsteins! 

As long as you need a lot of space I guess you will have to go with the GL. The only 3 rows I would actually give the name "3 rows". The new Range Rover as well as the X5 will have a 3rd row but only kids might be able to sit there. Also - the GL still have a trunk while using the 3rd row - while for the others you need a roof-box and a trailer to get happy! :)

Congrats Lars!!!

Is the price on the windshield 95k Euro ? Smiley  Can you buy it from states and ship it or the price will come up the same ?

--
    Happy Driving

Ron (Houston):

Congrats Lars!!!

Is the price on the windshield 95k Euro ? Smiley  Can you buy it from states and ship it or the price will come up the same ?

That's Swiss Francs Smiley  ($105k)

@Lars: you made me so curious that I arranged  a testdrive! Although... For me it has to be the diesel, because of the milage I do.

--

Suzy

hehe... didnt want to make you curious SuzyF.... looking forward to read your test report - but keep in mind the SRT is different and if your dealer has a tester so test it! Increase in Grand Cherokee sale is 300% in Germany in the last year... this has a reason.

@Ron... the car is 81.000€ (111.000 USD) fully equipped in Germany lease is comparable to US (converted on the current exchange rate (As I have no experience with re-sell such a car I rather take a lease and understand what kind of costs will occur instead standing there one day with such an exotic car and cant sell it anymore).

Very nice looking vehicle. I haven't seen too many of the SRT model on the road but I do remember that they sound great. Congrats on your purchase. wink

Re: New family SUV ordered...

Interesting choice Lars… congratulations on being an independent thinker!   You likely know this already, but the current Gr Cherokee chassis is largely based on the Mercedes M class; this is one of the few remaining elements of the former Daimler-Chrysler merger.  Many testers assume that the Mercedes chassis technology and knowledge is part of why this version of the GC drives so much better than past versions. 

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Ron (Houston):

Congrats Lars!!!

US cars prices are pretty steep in Europe compared to the US. This often has to do with the fact that the Euro version of that particular car has been adapted by the manufacturer to European road conditions and specs. This usually involves the optional handling/track packages, different tires, sometimes even different lights, interiors, etc.. Also prices in Germany include 19% VAT, which already adds a lot of dough to net price.

Some independent dealers in Germany offer so called grey import cars from the US which are usually adapted to Euro specs but not always. A Ford Mustang GT 500 Shelby for example costs around 68k EUR, a Camaro ZL1 around 73k EUR and a Camaro V8 around 39k EUR. All cars with Euro specs.

Lars did the right thing, he leased that car. Lease offers are often pretty good for US cars and buying one is only OK if you want to keep it for a longer period of time. Selling a used US car can be a real pain in the a.., the market isn't really good for them over here.

--

Congrats Lars, this is a great car choice!  look forward to your report....

--

turbolite

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

Lars, did you get the car already?

i did the testdrive the week after I arranged it. I have to admit that is a pretty nice car (especially compared to what I was used to from American cars), but the diesel engine kinda ruined the experience a bit. It feels very heavy and quite slow. Maybe unsophisticated is the right word to describe it. Certainly room for improvement there, but overall it's a very nice car and I totally get why it is so popular here in Switzerland. I'm pretty sure that the SRT will be way better (it also looks amazing!), but for my milage, that would be way too thirsty. 

In the end I decided for an A6 Avant with the 3.0 BiTDI engine. It feels pretty fast, is reasonably economic and for some reason, an Audi always feels like a perfect fit to me. No idea why exactly though....

i'm looking forward to your pictures of the SRT. Especially in that beautiful color you chose!

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basaltblack metallic
    2012 Audi SQ5 TDI | Lavagrey metallic

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM