Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: New family SUV orderd...

For a very short moment, I was thinking about getting one too (Geigercars in Munich offers one for 70k EUR with Euro specs, it is a grey import though) but it doesn't make sense for us because my wife would still have to drive her X3 because of her BMW lease contract. Very tempting though.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Hey guys - yes, we got it, but I didnt had time to make pictures that's why I did not add anything to this thread.

@Suzy: The Diesel is not to compare with the SRT. The whole suspension and base is different. Guess you made a great choice -my friend is owning the same A6 3.0 BiTDI and its an amazing machine! Enjoy!!!

First SRT impression - amazing car. The high torque on low rev's is making the difference. Great push - still comfortable enough as a cruiser but same time handles like a sports car. I think its a bargain for such a car. Consumption in city 18ltr and on the road (did a 200km trip with Autobahn/country road mix) around 14.5 Liter (while driving with lots of Joy). Totally fine for the power it delivers.

Unfortunately the car is kind of flashy and people really turn heads. I thought its a undercover car but it appears to be different. On a second thought I might have ordered a black or white to be more subtle. Even though everybody tells me its looking great.

I enjoy every moment in this car.... really cool!

Enjoy. kiss PLEASE...post photos, incl. the interior. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Thanks - certainly will post pictures. If the weekend has nice weather I will do!

Congrats Lars, don´t forget the pics Smiley

Suzy how do you found the engine sound of the Audi? I still don´t know how in the hell Audi techs manage to get such an amazing engine sound from a diesel engine, sound like a muscle V8 cars Smiley

J.Seven

@Lars997: Congrats!!

@ J.Seven: it does indeed sound very good. My SQ5 has the same engine and also the same great sound (for a diesel). What I understand is that there is some kind of membrane in the exhaust system that works a bit like a speaker and this gets activated if you switch the sound setup to Dynamic via MMI.

So it's artificial, but IMO a way better solution than BMW's V8 sound via the internal speakers in their diesels....

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basaltblack metallic
    2012 Audi SQ5 TDI | Lavagrey metallic

SuzyF:

@Lars997: Congrats!!

@ J.Seven: it does indeed sound very good. My SQ5 has the same engine and also the same great sound (for a diesel). What I understand is that there is some kind of membrane in the exhaust system that works a bit like a speaker and this gets activated if you switch the sound setup to Dynamic via MMI.

So it's artificial, but IMO a way better solution than BMW's V8 sound via the internal speakers in their diesels....

Thanks for explaining the misterious V8 sound Smiley

J.Seven

Guys the Audi system is a subwoofer inside the exhaust system. So it is more or less the same solution or even more fake as BMW. But - I have to admit it sounds damn good and I wouldn't mind to have this in my BMW Diesel.

http://www.audi.co.uk/new-cars/q5/sq5/powerful-v6-engine/sound-actuator.html

Lars997:

Guys the Audi system is a subwoofer inside the exhaust system. So it is more or less the same solution or even more fake as BMW. But - I have to admit it sounds damn good and I wouldn't mind to have this in my BMW Diesel.

Okay... That's sort of what I meant to say (I'm not that technical Smiley) For me however, the big difference is that the Audi sounds good from the inside as well as the outside. BMW sounds slightly better, but only from the inside Smiley

Nevertheless... Both make absolutely great diesel engines. That BMW 3.0 diesel in various configurations is maybe even the best diesel out there at the moment. My mother drives a 640d Gran Coupe and I really like that car. 

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basaltblack metallic
    2012 Audi SQ5 TDI | Lavagrey metallic

Agree!

I currently drive a 750d, before of that I had the 740d. Great engines, but the 740 was more comfortable and quiet.

Enjoy!

SuzyF:
    Lars997:

Okay... That's sort of what I meant to say (I'm not that technical Smiley) For me however, the big difference is that the Audi sounds good from the inside as well as the outside. BMW sounds slightly better, but only from the inside Smiley

Nevertheless... Both make absolutely great diesel engines. That BMW 3.0 diesel in various configurations is maybe even the best diesel out there at the moment. My mother drives a 640d Gran Coupe and I really like that car. 

A customer of mine bought a M135i. He absolutely loves the sound of the car (I cannot really remember though...). At some point, he was wondering why people on the boardwalk didn't turn their heads when he fully accelerated. In Germany, when people hear a loud car, they usually turn their heads and if you are "lucky", you may even get a middle finger or another nice gesture. Smiley Not in the case of the M135i. So this guy drove to a parking lot with his wife and let her accelerate to hear the car from the outside. Nothing. The car sound from the outside is practically muted. Smiley He then went to his BMW dealer to make a complaint and this is where he learned for the very first time that the great sound of his car is artificially produced by loudspeakers. You cannot imagine how p.ss.d he is, he is now considering selling the car and getting a used M3 (V8).

I don't know if this story is true but if it is, this is very disappointing. Even with my Turbo S, people turn heads but I didn't get a middle finger yet (still working on that). Smiley

--

haha..... love the middle-finger! Love to be noisy in the city! I get so much bad eye for all my cars so I love at least to provocate with the exhaust sound. If Harley, 991 or SRT... I got some turn heads but the middle finger I havent seen for long. Last time I seen it was when test driving a Ferrari California. Car was parking and we just put the stroller into the trunk when I guy passed by and out of now reasons he screamed "asshole" and showed the finger. The guy was well dressed, the city was not ours - so he didnt know us. Its great living in Germany!

Lars997:

haha..... love the middle-finger! Love to be noisy in the city! I get so much bad eye for all my cars so I love at least to provocate with the exhaust sound. If Harley, 991 or SRT... I got some turn heads but the middle finger I havent seen for long. Last time I seen it was when test driving a Ferrari California. Car was parking and we just put the stroller into the trunk when I guy passed by and out of now reasons he screamed "asshole" and showed the finger. The guy was well dressed, the city was not ours - so he didnt know us. Its great living in Germany!

My wife had that pleasure in Munich yesterday, she went with a friend on a shopping tour and when she entered her car (she took the Boxster S) in a parking lot, a guy standing next to another car next to hers said: "Frustrated housewives in their Porsche looking for a d.ck?" My wife is a doctor and her friend too, so... Smiley She threatened to call the police if he doesn't leave, so he just drove away. He wasn't alone, he had a woman(!) with him. Smiley

--

Cultural gap is incredible. Over here people will turn their heads and go up to you but to tell you to rev it again. give you thumbs up and be extra nice. 

Enmanuel:

Cultural gap is incredible. Over here people will turn their heads and go up to you but to tell you to rev it again. give you thumbs up and be extra nice. 

We have that kind of people too but usually only in certain locations (car shows, tracking day, etc.) or they are foreigners. The most compliments I got for my Turbo S lately were from Turks living/working in Germany and one Serbian. One of these guys got a Turbo S himself, he is the manager of some local soccer stars.

--

RC:
    Lars997:

My wife had that pleasure in Munich yesterday, she went with a friend on a shopping tour and when she entered her car (she took the Boxster S) in a parking lot, a guy standing next to another car next to hers said: "Frustrated housewives in their Porsche looking for a d.ck?" My wife is a doctor and her friend too, so... Smiley She threatened to call the police if he doesn't leave, so he just drove away. He wasn't alone, he had a woman(!) with him. Smiley

--

Sometimes I have the feeling that we (RC and I) live on completely different planets. But when I look out of my window I see Munich. We (wife and I) never ever had such experiences.

Itsme:

Sometimes I have the feeling that we (RC and I) live on completely different planets. But when I look out of my window I see Munich. We (wife and I) never ever had such experiences.

Funny, you are not the first to say this. We have friends who made a similar experience and others who never had a single bad experience over the past 20 years. Maybe it depends on the individual or the car or whatever.

I don't know your wife but when my wife drives to Munich, she usually dresses up quite nicely (and sometimes a little bit too sexy Smiley). She is also blonde and...well...the usual (prejudice) stuff. Smiley

--

Lars, you still owe us pictures.  sad

indecision

Speaking of family SUVs: Since I exchanged the Cayenne GTS with a Boxster S (well...wife wanted cab and we already have a small SUV, the BMW X3 35d), I am missing the Cayenne. It was actually the perfect family car.

Now I have an itch but I actually know that it doesn't make sense because we will replace my wife's X3 with something else, the moment her lease runs out. However, I wanted to share some of my thoughts with you guys because maybe, maybe it could be helpful for someone looking for a cool/fun family SUV.

Used Porsche Cayenne Turbo: Found some interesting offers (almost half the new car price with only 30k km) but this summer, the facelift will be presented, so it doesn't really make sense.

Used Mercedes G63 AMG: Found some interesting offers for almost new dealer cars. Amazing truck, solid like a tank, sounds amazingly good (better than Cayenne GTS) and build quality is first class. This is a classic and a car you can drive even in ten years without looking outdated. Kind of the 911 of the SUV/Offroader world. Costs a lot of money though (130k EUR) and only buying would make sense, if you keep it for at least five years. Unfortunately my wife hates the design of the car and it is a bit too big for easy city driving (in Europe).

Used Mercedes G55 AMG: Found an almost new dealer car for 40% less. Old model (predecessor to G63 AMG). Not much slower than the G63 AMG and even the interior is still acceptable, even if the G63 AMG has the more modern and refreshed interior. Exhaust sound is amazing too, no issues here and everything else is very close to the G63 AMG. For this kind of money, almost unbeatable. Still the same issues as with the G63 AMG (wife and all).

Used Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 (2013 model): Good looking, stealth and cheap like hell (50k) with very little mileage. Highly tempted but car is grey import and although it carries a warranty, there can be issues with parts and repairs, especially outside Germany. Local Jeep dealer says no problem in Germany and the exhaust sound is nice (similar to Cayenne GTS but a notch quieter). Performance is great, quality look and feel is OK for a truck and it is fully loaded. Only buying makes sense since you cannot really loose much here.

Used Audi Q7 V12: Amazing engine setup with monster torque figures but the Q7 is a huge car which is not that accepted (anymore) in Germany, especially since smaller Audi SUVs like the Q5 and Q3 are a huge success. Even used pretty expensive (around 100k EUR), so this car doesn't make sense at all, it is just too expensive.

Used Audi RS6 (new and old model): Interesting offers available, especially for the old model but my wife hates station wagons and although this is a very nice car with AWD, it cannot really replace a SUV, especially regarding the ground clearance.

I still think that the Mercedes G class in AMG flavor would be the best choice but... yes

--

G-Class all the way kiss

RC:

I still think that the Mercedes G class in AMG flavor would be the best choice but... yes

--

Maybe for utility, comfort...but from what I can tell about your driving preferences, this will not be enough. For those addicted to the Porsche steering feel, handling and overall driving dynamics, it's difficult to replace the Cayenne in a full size SUV.

GM Austin:
    RC:

--

Maybe for utility, comfort...but from what I can tell about your driving preferences, this will not be enough. For those addicted to the Porsche steering feel, handling and overall driving dynamics, it's difficult to replace the Cayenne in a full size SUV.

Gary, I agree but if I would spend (buy) a fortune for a car, I would do it for something special. The Cayenne is a mass product and the falling prices are a big letdown, this is why I don't buy a new one (only lease). Like I said, I found a slightly used 2011 Turbo (32k km) for 75k EUR. New price tag was 154k EUR. Ouch.

The G class may not have the agility and the driving dynamics of the Cayenne, this is true but it has a lot of room, it has a very powerful engine with an amazing exhaust sound (the G55 is even better than the G63) and there are some nice offers available. Also, this is a car you can drive for many years without anyone actually thinking that it looks outdated. Smiley I took a test-drive in a G65 AMG lately and I really liked it. The steering feel is not that great compared to the Cayenne and driving through twists and turns reminds me a lot of a regular Mercedes ML but the engine, the drive feel, the exhaust sound and everything related to it just makes this car very very special. You really need to try it for yourself to understand. I would never take a G65 or G55 as my only car, this would be a huge mistake but as a third or fourth car, this puppy is just perfect. Still leaning towards that G55, it costs 45k EUR less than the G65 and it looks practically the same, it is a last production model and already has a lot of stuff from the G63. Engine power is 507 hp only (instead of 544 hp) but the exhaust sound is better with the supercharged V8.

Don't worry, I don't think I am going to do it but it is very tempting. If my wife wouldn't be against it and if I had an additional spot in my garage, I would take the G55 in a heartbeat. Very good offer.

Speaking of the Cayenne: Current Cayenne owners will have a big surprise with the facelift in summer, the rear is rumored to get a much bigger overhaul than many expected. The front won't be changed much though.

--

You forgot the Macan...

RC:
    GM Austin:
    RC:

--

Gary, I agree but if I would spend (buy) a fortune for a car, I would do it for something special. The Cayenne is a mass product and the falling prices are a big letdown, this is why I don't buy a new one (only lease). Like I said, I found a slightly used 2011 Turbo (32k km) for 75k EUR. New price tag was 154k EUR. Ouch.

The G class may not have the agility and the driving dynamics of the Cayenne, this is true but it has a lot of room, it has a very powerful engine with an amazing exhaust sound (the G55 is even better than the G63) and there are some nice offers available. Also, this is a car you can drive for many years without anyone actually thinking that it looks outdated. Smiley I took a test-drive in a G65 AMG lately and I really liked it. The steering feel is not that great compared to the Cayenne and driving through twists and turns reminds me a lot of a regular Mercedes ML but the engine, the drive feel, the exhaust sound and everything related to it just makes this car very very special. You really need to try it for yourself to understand. I would never take a G65 or G55 as my only car, this would be a huge mistake but as a third or fourth car, this puppy is just perfect. Still leaning towards that G55, it costs 45k EUR less than the G65 and it looks practically the same, it is a last production model and already has a lot of stuff from the G63. Engine power is 507 hp only (instead of 544 hp) but the exhaust sound is better with the supercharged V8.

Don't worry, I don't think I am going to do it but it is very tempting. If my wife wouldn't be against it and if I had an additional spot in my garage, I would take the G55 in a heartbeat. Very good offer.

Speaking of the Cayenne: Current Cayenne owners will have a big surprise with the facelift in summer, the rear is rumored to get a much bigger overhaul than many expected. The front won't be changed much though.

--

If you don't mind the interior, go for the 55. That 55k engine is so much better than the twin turbo 63 engine. Throttle response is unreal and has higher torque. 

--

SciFrog:

You forgot the Macan...

Are there used ones at interesting prices already available? Smiley

--

Whoopsy:

If you don't mind the interior, go for the 55. That 55k engine is so much better than the twin turbo 63 engine. Throttle response is unreal and has higher torque. 

Thanks, Whoopsy. Good advice. The G55, I took a test-drive in that advertised car, is really amazing. The throttle response is indeed very good but the exhaust sound is even better. This car is sooooo loud. Smiley The interior doesn't bother me but I had the feeling that the G63 steering is a bit more responsive. The difference wasn't very big though. The car is manufactured in 2012 and one of the last G55 produced, it already has many of the technical improvements, especially regarding the chassis, of the G63.

Unfortunately the G55 is in Iridium Silver and I personally think that the only color which works for the G class is...black (and maybe white). Still, even if the offer is interesting (the car gets a 24 months new car warranty Smiley from that particular dealership), my wife hates the G class. She says it is ugly and way too big for her to drive. We also don't have any room left in our garage, so one car would need to stay on the street. Not really a good solution.

So I guess I just lost some time fantasizing about the G class because let's face it, if the wife doesn't like it, I'm doomed. Smiley

Oh, the dealer also let me drive the G65 (I was there in my Turbo S, so this kind of made an impression Smiley) he had. He was even willing to give me 10% on an already slightly used (and marked down) car. 220k EUR are a bit Smiley too much for me though but if someone has the money and wants a stealth mega monster SUV, this is it. The torque feel of this car is insane but sound-wise (exhaust), the G55 and even the G63 is much better.

--

I always wondered how the G Class is on the Autobahn, must be noisy as hell above 200 km/h? 

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

993Targa:

I always wondered how the G Class is on the Autobahn, must be noisy as hell above 200 km/h? 

I drove it up to 150 kph (traffic... Smiley) but it was actually quite nice (I actually enjoyed the exhaust note, so it wasn't that quiet). Not sure it would be that nice at 200 or 210 kph (top speed). 

--

RC: On second thought, stay away from the G. Since it has a restricted top speed, on the Autobahn even Lada can fly past you, it's going drive you crazy.

--

Whoopsy:

RC: On second thought, stay away from the G. Since it has a restricted top speed, on the Autobahn even Lada can fly past you, it's going drive you crazy.

Smiley It would be the family SUV for very limited trips on the Autobahn, especially in winter time. My wife's X3 35d is limited to 210 kph (winter tires) anyway in winter, so not much of a difference. Smiley

I badly want to take the G55, the offer is just too good to pass on it but my wife would kill me. Smiley

--

She might change her mind once she sat and ride in one.

My wife told me she would NEVER EVER be seen in a minivan. Now she drives it daily for school runs.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689304 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409080 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255690 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234943 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65498 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857889 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773890 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM