Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: does anyone have an SLS?

sfo, totally agree with your coments. on my first drive in the SLS i was thinking 'german corvette'

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

I drove a SLS for 1000 miles when they came out and I am still a huge fan of it. Problem with the SLS is not it's size but usable space. Also the trunk get's hot  enlightened - and is small. You can get much more stuff into a 911 - which to me is important too as we want to be able to do week-end trips incl. shoppings etc. Also funnily my wife had to hold the door while entering to the seat - as she couldn't reach it anymore once sitting. But it's a glitch compared to the big fun this thunderous engine is giving. I liked it much more than a 458...

Just out of curiosity, I looked around and found a C63 Coupe 507 Edition with low mileage for slightly over 70k EUR. Considering the fact that the next AMG models will probably have a turbo charged V6 instead of the N/A V8, I think this would be an interesting car for collectors too. Not expensive, not really difficult to maintain, not too flashy but with a certain flashiness (507 Edition model) still there, not bad. I was actually seriously interested in the C63 507 Edition (yes, I know, I had a C63 Coupe and sold it), one of the last, amazing engine sound and power, nice fun car for nice weather and my son would eternally love me if I would get it "back". In the end however, it would be just another car in the garage, not worth it. My wife will sooner or later want some sort of a cab, so I need to keep the resources for that, so we don't end up with a BMW 3 series Cab or worse. angry

The SLS Roadster is still my favorite but the car is too expensive right now and I doubt it will ever go below 100k EUR, unless the car is in a very bad condition.

Then, of course, a 991 Carrera Cab would be a good (used) car too: Some are selling for below 90k EUR with low mileage, they don't seem to keep their value too well but it is still a very nice car. However, not exactly what a collector would look for I'm afraid.

Luckily, I neither have the financial means or the space to own all the cars I would like to own but the SLS would clearly be one of them.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

i think many are considering the sls now more than ever, knowing that it is running out of production and that this will be the last of the big displacement engines.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

i believe amg decided to end the production cycle of the sls, not wanting to dilute it's Image by doing a successor with a smaller charged engine.

--

intouch1:

i believe amg decided to end the production cycle of the sls, not wanting to dilute it's Image by doing a successor with a smaller charged engine.

This is why I think that the SLS will actually keep a pretty good value in the future. It is a special car.

Still not sure about that C63 AMG Coupe Edition 507 though, for slightly over 70k (car was 115k EUR new) quite interesting. I love the muscle car approach a lot, sold the C63 Coupe only because of the very bad winter driving capabilities.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Saw a C63 Black Series for sale on 6speed recently. Looked like a very cool car. 

The Black Series is a bit too much for my taste, especially with that wing. My neighbor has one, however he looked quite frustrated when he saw my 991 Turbo S lately. indecision

I like the Edition 507 model because it is not too flashy, kind of at the "limit" of what I would want a car to look like.

mercedes-benz-c-63-amg-coupe-edition507-silber.jpg

--

BjoernB:

I drove a SLS for 1000 miles when they came out and I am still a huge fan of it. Problem with the SLS is not it's size but usable space. Also the trunk get's hot  enlightened - and is small. You can get much more stuff into a 911 - which to me is important too as we want to be able to do week-end trips incl. shoppings etc. Also funnily my wife had to hold the door while entering to the seat - as she couldn't reach it anymore once sitting. But it's a glitch compared to the big fun this thunderous engine is giving. I liked it much more than a 458...

why only 1000 miles? was it a loan car?

get some insulation installed in the boot .. don't carry stuff which melts Smiley

open the door for your wife, close it and then you get in.

C63 507 has lovely wheels, but the tacky and nasty go faster stripes along the bottom need to be removed.

C63 prices will drop much more in years to come .. there are many around, and they are also just another C class. SLS is a class all of its own.

It took MB about 40 years before they made another Gullwing .. so in time, the SLS will stop depreciating.

I think MB stopped production of the SLS because there simply isn't enough demand at new prices .. too high, and too near Ferrai/Lambo/McLaren territory.

I took a very close look at my neighbour's SLS Roadster (mystic white, black roof, red leather) last night. Still a sensational machine .. but the missing Gullwing doors ruins it!

Meanwhile, UK prices are dropping but not far enough!

From a collector's point of view, the SLS makes much more sense than a C63 Edition 507 or even Black Series, no doubt about it. I would prefer the SLS Roadster though but I agree that the Gullwing doors could actually be more attractive to collectors. I just don't need "another" Coupe, this would be my reason to go for the Roadster.

When the new SLC shows up, I can see SLS prices drop for a short while (some customers may want to give the SLC a try) but on the long run, I think that the SLS will keep it's value pretty well. Also, this car is already a classic, so even if you drive it yourself in 10 or 20 years, it won't get really "outdated".

--

The SLS is much more fun as convertible - just made for, cruising around on beautiful summer days.... if you take it as a collector car it might be different - the gullwing is a gullwing.

Completley agree to every word you say RC - a classic for the next 20 years, a car to keep until you die.

As you know we had one (Convertible) on order and actually picked it also up in Afalterbach. But as I had some personal issues with the Dealership - the conflict went that strong that I sold the car the day I got it delivered. Today I'm happy I refused - I would have lost 60 k€ the day I would have registered. Instead I could sell it 8k€ plus (that was kind of my retaliation against that dealer )smiley

Anyway... Still have in mind to get one and check the pre-owned since 12 months now. The prices are pretty stable at the 120k€ for decent driven pre-owned. As you said - I guess once the SLC comes out there might be a quick drop... lets see!

120k EUR? The cheapest "acceptable" SLS Roadster I found is around 150k EUR and this is way too much for another fun car. Way too much. Right now, my car budget is actually exhausted but I like the idea of a cab of some sort and the SLS Roadster would be just perfect. My wife loves the SLS and she wouldn't mind driving a cab from time to time.

So far, I am looking at the Jaguar F-Type, the prices are quite interesting for used ones. I would love the V8 models only though. Still not at the (low) level I would want to see them though.

--

sfo - Yobbo Hartley has a few ambitiously priced SLS for sale. Not that I'd ever suggest buying from him, he's usually a reasonable barometer as to what's selling though.

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

bridggar:

sfo - Yobbo Hartley has a few ambitiously priced SLS for sale. Not that I'd ever suggest buying from him, he's usually a reasonable barometer as to what's selling though.

there are cheaper ones in the MB network, although I really like Hartley car in silver with the 1.5k miles and red stitched interior.

I doubt SLC debut will make much of a difference to SLS used prices ... SLS owners who want the latest toys have all bought the SLS, sold it and gone on to other things.

sfo:

I doubt SLC debut will make much of a difference to SLS used prices ... SLS owners who want the latest toys have all bought the SLS, sold it and gone on to other things.

Don't be so sure. Some SLS owners could fall in love with the smaller car and go for it... 

--

the problem with trying to buy an SLS from Mercedes UK dealers is that the salesmen are clueless, used to selling used A and C classes ..

this chap is trying to say the brake discs (whose state I can't see clearly) will be replaced if needed, because of approved used standards .. at least he's agreed to send me HD pics.

another told me "to overcome the asking price" when I put in an aggressive bid.

RC:

120k EUR? The cheapest "acceptable" SLS Roadster I found is around 150k EUR

I was talking about an Gullwing.... 

Why not feed them the finance route? They'll bend on price thinking they'll get the kick-back, then cancel after two months paying in full. There's nothing they can do except take it on the chin. (this assumes you won't be using them for servicing).

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

RC:
    sfo:

Don't be so sure. Some SLS owners could fall in love with the smaller car and go for it... 

Also - many of the SLS owners do want to have the "new" one. Actually out of car quality, dynamic, etc. the new will be for sure the better car. For collector reasons it is a different story - but many buyers will go for the "new".

Had the opportunity to drive a number of AMG cars yesterday at an AMG event in Abu Dhabi. All happened on track, so perhaps not the best opportunity to evaluate if the cars would be great daily drivers, but I was very impressed with the C63/507 version. I drove the C63 in sedan on the track but only managed to drive the coupe from the dragstrip and back to the track. Great engine which pulls very hard and what a sound indecision. As some of you say, this car could end up being the last thunder from AMG, given that they in the future will go turbo charged for many models. 

Comparing the C63 to the E63/SL63 on track, I would any day take the C63, despite of the two others having more power. The handling was simply in another league, and the only car which was anywhere near the SLS GT which again was in a different league. It did not take me more than 100 meters through the pit lane to understand that I was driving something I would really appreciate.

The SLS is one of the best cars I have driven and I am a big fan of the design as well. Looking at the color options available yesterday the darker colors made the rear of the car look somewhat clumpsy, whereas the white cars were looking great in my view.  

If I should change anything at yesterdays event, it would have been to drive the SLS Black Series, but it stayed in the pit garages sad

/T

tso:

The SLS is one of the best cars I have driven and I am a big fan of the design as well. 

what did you think of the SLS GT's handling, ride and power train?

For a street car handling was extremely good. It is a big car, and perhaps the driver placement (far back in the car) makes it feel bigger at first, but after a few laps the car works with you. Engine was great with pull all from very low revs. I like the natural aspirated engines, though the E63S felt very quick to get the boost working. In fact we drove this car at the dragstrip as the AMG guys said that it was the fastest car here, due to the 4 wheel drive. We managed 7.8 secs on a 1/8 mile and around 153 km/h for the fastest runs.

Back to the SLS. At the start of the back strait you enter in 2nd gear at relatively low rpms and the engine just pulls through.

Tranny was not bad, and certainly at the upshift works very well. Should I have any criticism, I would like to have a gearbox which downshifts instantly on downshifts, but hey this is not a sequential. 

SLS GT has the updated transmission software which makes for much crisper and quicker shifts.

Sfo, perhaps just going back to your initial post where I assume your question is more daily driver related. As I said I only drove the car on track, and thus the comment on the gearbox, but with the limited experience I have, I would say go for it. It is a fantastic car. 

I am going for it, just waiting for a dealer to sell at a price I want to pay ...

tonight, my neighbour started his SLS Roadster at the other end (about 50 meters away) of the underground garage seconds after I switched off my CLS55 and opened the door .. the noise was heart stoppingly fantastic: loud, mechanical and gutteral with some finesse; it was as if the engine was really 12 litres -- such is the benefit of the acoustics of the garage!

turns out he bought the car with about 100 miles on it .. the MB dealer put it through an auction which attracted a highest bid of £115k, below the reserve. My neighbour (through his agent) got it for £125k .. a 3 month old car with 100 miles, with a list price of £185k. He loves it.

I drove the SLS on the track about a month ago, out of all the cars AMG bought out, its the best feeling car I have driven. Only disadvantage was the head room with a helmet on, I had to tilt my head sideway even with the seat all the way down and I am not a tall person, only 5'11. 

Felt like the 507 is a waste of money, it didn't feel any faster than than a normal C63 and on the track it didn't catch up to the normal car in front on the straight either. The extra 40 or so HP is not really there. Almost feel like it's just a badge to state the obvious, a normal C63 seems like it already has 507 on tap but Mercedes didn't want to tell the world that.

--

i too feel that the 507 and surely the black series are overdone. the high Point imo of the c63 are ist sleeper Qualities.

it is just below the Radar and blends into traffic just like any MB commuter. i feel that this is the whole Point of a C63.

--

intouch1:

i too feel that the 507 and surely the black series are overdone. the high Point imo of the c63 are ist sleeper Qualities.

it is just below the Radar and blends into traffic just like any MB commuter. i feel that this is the whole Point of a C63.

Indeed. Over here in Germany, you can see many C63 stationwagons driving around and they blend in perfectly. If the car would have AWD, it would have been an excellent family car.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    760739 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434391 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260024 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257150 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80752 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5311 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871308 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806491 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM