Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S

Milanno:

Call me silly, but white color would be my last choice for DD, and even more importantly "special" color would be out of every question. First, I dont want to spend every day in washing service, and second I dont want to pay silly amounts of $$$ for paint repair (you are expecting chips on DD). And yes, I hate clear-bras smiley

For weekend toy, I would pick 991 Turbo in yellow with bucket seats, and later I would pick some tuning packages from RUF or 9ff. For DD, I would pick 991 Turbo S in Christian`s color (hides dust perfectly) & a bunch of luxury add-ons to make it very comfortable 

White is kot as bad as black ;) my Boxster is basaltblack metallic, but it has a clearbra. On a white car I wouldn't get a clearbra, since they all get yellowish IMO.

i agree that the Agategrey is a perfect color for a daily driver, but I just love white metallic color. No matter what car I will buy as my daily driver... It will be white metallic. Can't help it Smiley I love Audi's gletscher white most, but the oryxwhite would have done the job for me also. At the moment I only have black cars (lavagrey is almost black), so it's time for some brighter colors hahaha.

BTW Christian, it was not just the 7000 euro of the exterior paint that shocked me, also the 14300 euro (excl. taxes) for the custom interior was more than I expected. That's, for example, a nicely optioned VW Polo GTI on exterior color and leather alone... Ouch.Smiley

--

Suzy

RC:

Suzy, I kind of have the feeling that you don't really know what you want. ...

Ranking really high on the list of things you should never say to women. Smiley

Smiley

Enmanuel:

RC:

Smiley

Smiley Hahahaha

--

Suzy

Enmanuel:

RC:

Smiley

Tell me about it. Smiley

Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:
    Enmanuel:

RC:

Smiley

Tell me about it. Smiley

Smiley Smiley

Some people never learn! Smiley

--

fritz

Dammit... Cayenne  platinum edition.... Guess what color they offer now?!  Metallic white! Aaaarghh!!!! mail

Why does Porsche do these things?  just to annoy me? yes 

--

Suzy

SuzyF:

Dammit... Cayenne  platinum edition.... Guess what color they offer now?!  Metallic white! Aaaarghh!!!! mail

So get a Cayenne. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:
    SuzyF:

So get a Cayenne. Smiley Smiley

Hahaha okay I agree that it would solve one problem Smiley but I'm not a big fan of the Cayenne's looks to be honest. And Platinum edition is only available on base Cayenne or Cayenne diesel. That last one could be interesting for me, but I'd prefer the 3.0 BiTDI that I have in my SQ5.  I'm considering an A6 Avant with that same engine. Even fully loaded, it's actually a lot cheaper than I expected. Smiley

Okay... It's something completely different than an SUV of course, but I like the minimalistic design and most of all I like the interior very much (no other brand in that class can match that IMHO). The AWD is good enough for winter use here in Switzerland, don't really need the ground clearance of a SUV. I think I'm gonna arrange a testdrive later this week...

First need to adjust to European timezone again. Still have a huge jetlag after 4 weeks USA... Somehow I cope not very well with that time difference Smiley

--

Suzy

Milanno:

Call me silly, but white color would be my last choice for DD, and even more importantly "special" color would be out of every question. First, I dont want to spend every day in washing service, and second I dont want to pay silly amounts of $$$ for paint repair (you are expecting chips on DD). And yes, I hate clear-bras smiley

For weekend toy, I would pick 991 Turbo in yellow with bucket seats, and later I would pick some tuning packages from RUF or 9ff. For DD, I would pick 991 Turbo S in Christian`s color (hides dust perfectly) & a bunch of luxury add-ons to make it very comfortable 

Very personal thing.

I happen to like Black and all my daily drivers (and most F cars) were in that color or some iterations of it.

My current car is White and so far is holding pretty well on dirty Chicago streets,stays clean looking much longer then Black of course.

Going through a car wash once a week does not bother me,in this enviroment here,ANY color looks bad after a few days.

I have had many different colored cars and white is by far the least workload to live with. To the point all my cars now and on order are white... indecision

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive MSport & 2012 x5 - TurboS Cab on Order Mar14. Range Rover V8 on order June14

SuzyF:

BTW Christian, it was not just the 7000 euro of the exterior paint that shocked me, also the 14300 euro (excl. taxes) for the custom interior was more than I expected. That's, for example, a nicely optioned VW Polo GTI on exterior color and leather alone... Ouch.Smiley

Suzy, could you elaborate a bit about the 14300€ interior? What was so expensive there?

--

Note to self: I DO NOT need a Turbo. 

^ Custom color.

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

The Cayenne Turbo I got is white with black wheels and dark windows and Sport package and I really, really like it. As EnginNY says it's quite easy to live with too. I actually didn't expect to like it so much. All my friends also said they liked it a lot (but maybe they were just being polite :))).

The 991 TTS is Silver GT with the black glass sunroof. I like it, a lot!! But I'm pretty sure I'd like it in any color ;)))
    I saw a black one at the dealer, but I find that the Turbo S wheels don't fit too well with black. Still great anyway! But we are talking taste! De gustibus non disputandum ;)

I have to admit that I find a bit odd worrying about 7k when buying a 200k+ car. If 7k are an issue, I would be much more conservative on the type of car I'd buy. At least that's what I used to do when I couldn't afford this type of toy. But then again we all handle money differently.

Btw, today I got my first decent drive on fast roads with the TTS and ... uuhhh ... me like it. me like it a lot!!!!
    It goes, ad goes, and goes, whenever you need it, there's always more power, more push, more grip ... it's such a great toy!!! ... I'm guessing I'll get quite a few tickets in the mail :))

TomSilver:
    SuzyF:

Suzy, could you elaborate a bit about the 14300€ interior? What was so expensive there?

It was for a custom interior. Two tone black/ascot brown (all in natural leather) with every plastic bit covered in matching colored leather or when not possible in aluminium (rear speaker surrounds i.e.). All stitching done in white or pebble grey. This was how my dream-build would look like...

Custom builds from Porsche are simply expensive. I did know that of course, but I could at least ask... In the end It still did shock me a bit. All together with the paint. I guess the natural leather also didn't really help to keep the costs low Smiley

I just cannot justify it to myself.... SmileyIt's almost three times as expensive as my Boxster, but it is not even close to a three times better car. It's better for sure, but that much. Sometimes you have to get a bit rational I guess... (Self protection Smiley)

--

Suzy

I still don't understand why you would stuff your car with so many expensive options like special color or additional(?) leather options. The Turbo S is already pretty loaded, there isn't much to add, unless you are really pushing it.

The driving experience comes first, so I'd rather forget about an option or two to be able to afford the car. Just saying...

--

RC:

I still don't understand why you would stuff your car with so many expensive options like special color or additional(?) leather options. The Turbo S is already pretty loaded, there isn't much to add, unless you are really pushing it.

The driving experience comes first, so I'd rather forget about an option or two to be able to afford the car. Just saying...

You are actually right... But I've send you a pm Smiley

--

Suzy

mc3744:

I have to admit that I find a bit odd worrying about 7k when buying a 200k+ car. If 7k are an issue, I would be much more conservative on the type of car I'd buy. At least that's what I used to do when I couldn't afford this type of toy. But then again we all handle money differently.

A rip-off is a rip-off. There is difference between being able to afford something and simply feeling ripped off. I once ordered a coke at a restaurant without looking at the menu. They brought me a can that cost about $1 and charged me the equivalent of $11. It was half the price of a main dish.

$11 is meaningless, but I still wasn't happy about it.

I agree noone1. Its not about price, its about common sense. 

P.S. 991 TTS as DD in black smiley

--

noone1:
    mc3744:

A rip-off is a rip-off. There is difference between being able to afford something and simply feeling ripped off. I once ordered a coke at a restaurant without looking at the menu. They brought me a can that cost about $1 and charged me the equivalent of $11. It was half the price of a main dish.

Exactly! Smiley

Maybe I should have been a bit more clear. It was not the 7000 euro alone and also not the additional 14300 euro for the interior. Even without these expensive options  I started doubting about spending that much money on a weekend car. I first intended to buy the car as a DD, which makes a big difference IMO. The fact that I can afford it, does not mean that I feel good about it, spending the money that way Smiley

I just wanted to share the price for that paint, in case someoned else is interested in it. But you have to admit... It's a lot of money for a white metallic paint. I know it is more expensive than regular metallic, because of the pearl-effect, but Volkswagen will paint a CC (bigger car) in that same color for about 950 euro...Smiley  Paint-quality isn't any better, so that's where one gets the feeling of being ripped-off... 

--

Suzy

noone1:
    mc3744:

Hi Suzy,

You are right, sometimes it's the principle. And a rip-off it's not nice, regardless the amount. No discussion there.

If you'll allow me a couple more considerations.
    Sometimes I decide to go to a fancy place, because I like the view or the crowd or I have to for business. I already know they are going to rip me off on the drinks, snacks, ..., but it's the place you are actually paying, not the drink. If you (I mean anyone) cannot get over it, better steer clear of some places (mostly I do ;)).

When I went car "shopping" I was very close to buying a Ferrari FF, paint and custom interior cost on a Ferrari makes the Porsche's one pale in comparison. My point is that to decide whether Porsche it's a rip off you need some benchmarks. i don't have many in the super cars business (only Ferrari), and truth be told there aren't many super cars brands anyway. The point is how do super car brands spread indirect costing (R&D, marketing, ...)? I'm guessing that at least part of that is covered by "overcharging" the options. Like paying the rent with the drinks.
    But I'm no expert on the car industry costing system. It's just a thought.

I really disagree with this guy on the electronics part!
    Has he ever been in a Ferrari? Or a Audi R8? The new 991 electronics are so much more advanced. Almost on par with luxury limousines. They could be slightly improved, but I think he is just bad at using it.

SuzyF:
    but Volkswagen will paint a CC (bigger car) in that same color for about 950 euro...Smiley  Paint-quality isn't any better, so that's where one gets the feeling of being ripped-off... 

that's the well known Porsche tax!

Well, to make you feel better Suzy, you have $64k color option if you want. Your choice was quite cheap in comparison with paint shown on photo below smiley

--

Hahahaha. You are both right indeed. Porsche-tax is about 600% on paint... 

And that 918 liquid metallic paint is completely rediculous of course.... On the other hand, if it was my company and people were willing to pay for it, I would do the same. 

BTW: i wouldn't want liquid paint on my car anyway... After a month, all that expensive paint has dripped off on the floor. indecision 

--

Suzy

@SuzyF: Interior to sample has always been very special but also very very expensive. On my 2000 996 Carrera 2 Cabriolet , I had interior to sample by Porsche  Exclusive in Magnolia with full deviated dark blue stitching ( since the body color was dark blue non metallic) , the bill for the interior was close to 20,000 DM (almost 10% of the car list price). I kept this car for many years and enjoyed it but never regretted the steep bill.

--

911 Club Coupe, 993 4S Riviera Blau, 12' Audi S4 Avant

m4ever:

the bill for the interior was close to 20,000 DM 

Best looking, and best "feel in hand" currency ever created  Sorry for off smiley

--

Suzy...I don't think this will make you feel better...but: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0UeRFGt-HU&list=TL33V8DbVMZvlGzurnVhjDr9cdSQiNWFNE

To be honest, I find being over-charged on options rather offensive. I would rather pay more for the base car to then be charged a more reasonable amount for the extras. Such an approach would be much less offensive to me.

Ranking #1 on what to say to women--"i love your shoes!"….

FlatSix911:

To be honest, I find being over-charged on options rather offensive. I would rather pay more for the base car to then be charged a more reasonable amount for the extras. Such an approach would be much less offensive to me.

Porsche makes cars to make money, not to make us happy Smiley That's just a mean to make us buy their cars.

By keeping the price of the base car "lower" they get more people to consider it. Then the cash in on the options. Or so I reckon.

Bottom line. It's a business, it's for profit. Their goal is to squeeze as much money as they possibly can from us ... while keeping us happy Smiley

I admit that while driving the 911 Turbo S I happen to be quite happy :)))

Actually, that is part of the reason I find the Turbo S package appealing: most options come as standard and therefore you can skip the painful process of selecting pages upon pages of options.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your Turbo. Tutto è bene quello che finisce bene (All's well that ends well) wink

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    782159 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442917 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263523 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261967 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    86022 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6033 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881708 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819887 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM