Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 Turbo S - Short Driving Report (owner)

ajag:

RC, what winter tires are you using?

Pirelli Sottozero Winter, official wheel set from Porsche with N-rated tires. Acceptable on dry pavement (it took around 600 km to be OK though, at first the tires felt kind of "sluggish" in curves, not very precise), especially at temperatures below 6°C and quite good on snow (traction, braking). I'm also driving them with aprox. 0.2 bar more tire pressure than recommended, they feel less comfortable but seem to provide more precision.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Hank:

I've got to tell you the worst advice I received was to NOT option the Bermester sound system. All reading this add this option to your configurations. 

Yes, same here. I regret not getting Burmester. I like how BOSE sounds in my Cayenne GTS, the difference vs. Burmester in my Panamera Turbo S wasn't groundbreaking. So I went for BOSE in the 991 Turbo S, what a mistake. BOSE sounds bad, Burmester is highly recommended, especially if you are an audiophile and use this car as a daily driver.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Bermester should be standard, period!

Hank:

Bermester should be standard, period!

I totally agree... But purists say that the system makes the car too heavy! SmileySmiley

--

Suzy

Hank:

image.jpg

Just picked up this GT Silver Metallic Gray yesterday. 

Oh no!

Now I'm suddenly thinking I should have this colour for my GT3 and not Rhodium Silver.  This dilemma has been going on for the last 6 months!!

:(

I love the silver. It's gets better every time I look at it. Oh any my 10 year old says, " Dad, this car is so fast!"

Hank:

I love the silver. It's gets better every time I look at it. Oh any my 10 year old says, " Dad, this car is so fast!"

My 10 year old is the same but I think he got scared during our trip to Lake Garda (Italy) because since that time, he isn't really pushing me to drive fast anymore (not that I would listen to him, I am pretty careful, especially when driving with one of the kids in the car). He got car sick during that trip, so go figure... Smiley Smiley

--

sidicks:
    Hank:

image.jpg

Just picked up this GT Silver Metallic Gray yesterday. 

Oh no!

Now I'm suddenly thinking I should have this colour for my GT3 and not Rhodium Silver.  This dilemma has been going on for the last 6 months!!

:(

If someone decides on silver, IMO the choice is obvious. GT Silver. It is rarer and more warm and sophisticated.

--

"Form follows function"

GT Silver is an all time classic Porsche silver: utterly timeless and always beautiful

My old 997.1 C4S was GT Silver. By far my favourite shade of silver offered by any manufacturer. 991 TTS will be in the same colour with an espresso interior.

The C4S had a full terracotta interior that I was very fond of; it was a very nice place to be in. I think it's a shame Porsche discontinued terracotta.

IMG_0514.jpgIMG_0519.jpg

RC:

My wife actually understands (at least she says so) but I get the feeling that she does nothing to explain my passion for sports cars to her friends. yes Yes, I know they discuss my cars (her friends usually know details...) but it seems that don't really care (or believe her).

Just because someone understands your passion doesn´t mean they share it wholeheartedly. As your wife shares a life with you I´m sure she knows enough about cars to be a bit more specific that just "my husband got a new car" to her friends. But no matter how much specs she may mention to her friends if they´re not car people that´s all they´ll hear.

I rather think that my wife uses my car(s) in some sort of "my husband drives this amazing car..." kind of rant. My daughter sometimes spills the beans (some sort of a spy indecision) after she listens in to my wife and her friends when they visit (and I'm usually not at home).  Well, as long as they don't discuss anything negative about me (at least my spy is not aware of it... broken heart). 

--

They probably wont say anything negative right to your wifes face. but I wouldnt hesitate to belive that at least one of them goes home and says "That guy is just throwing his money away in stupid expensive cars" But hey, we can´t expect everyone to share and understand this craziness we have. 

Enmanuel:

They probably wont say anything negative right to your wifes face. but I wouldnt hesitate to belive that at least one of them goes home and says "That guy is just throwing his money away in stupid expensive cars" But hey, we can´t expect everyone to share and understand this craziness we have. 

Oh, they actually say a lot of things directly to my wife's face but according to her, I am one of the "nice" husbands Smiley because 80% of my wife's friends are divorced or living separated and they always make comparisons. Actually this helps me a lot because it makes me look better. Smiley

--

RC:
    Enmanuel:

Oh, they actually say a lot of things directly to my wife's face but according to her, I am one of the "nice" husbands Smiley because 80% of my wife's friends are divorced or living separated and they always make comparisons. Actually this helps me a lot because it makes me look better. Smiley

Smiley   Well then carry on doing what you´re doing and being "nice"

My wife always encourages me to get whatever I want,put her foot down only once when I considered (briefly) a Nissan GT-R.

Her view is "Better the cars then other women...."

Her daily driver is G63 which she loves (modified by Renntech to 700hp,totally crazy truck)

absent:

My wife always encourages me to get whatever I want,put her foot down only once when I considered (briefly) a Nissan GT-R.

Her daily driver is G63 which she loves (modified by Renntech to 700hp,totally crazy truck)

Same here... Smiley

--

absent:

I cannot see how these two interests are mutually exclusive Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    absent:

Why argue with feminine logic if, for a change, it works for you anyway?    Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:
    reginos:
    absent:

Why argue with feminine logic if, for a change, it works for you anyway?    Smiley

Correct!  Let them fool themselves Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

I suspect you are either not married or you cheat on your wife? angry

On a more serious note: Wives tend to be over-controlling and love to limit the fun their husbands can have for whatever reasons. Maybe it really has to do with control issues. Fact is, many men I know cheat on their wives because this is actually the only freedom left (and at the same time a very good way to "protest" or getting back at the wife without confronting her directly) for them.  Also, when you have lots of hobbies, there isn't much time for other women. I speak from experience. The last thing I could actually "need" right now is a girlfriend.  I work all day, I have my hobbies (cars, gadgets, Krav Maga) and I also have two kids. I barely have time for my wife, so why would I add another "stress factor" indecision to my life? No thanks.

I'm also the type of person who would rather end a relationship than cheat, this just isn't my style and I hope my wife thinks the same.

--

RC:

I suspect you are either not married or you cheat on your wife? angry

Let's just say I am married Smiley

On a more serious note: Wives tend to be over-controlling and love to limit the fun their husbands can have for whatever reasons. Maybe it really has to do with control issues. Fact is, many men I know cheat on their wives because this is actually the only freedom left (and at the same time a very good way to "protest" or getting back at the wife without confronting her directly) for them.  Also, when you have lots of hobbies, there isn't much time for other women. I speak from experience. The last thing I could actually "need" right now is a girlfriend.  I work all day, I have my hobbies (cars, gadgets, Krav Maga) and I also have two kids. I barely have time for my wife, so why would I add another "stress factor" indecision to my life? No thanks.

I'm also the type of person who would rather end a relationship than cheat, this just isn't my style and I hope my wife thinks the same.

You make very valid points which prove that women are the same everywhere. I've been in various groups of friends over the years doing several innocent pastimes like cycling, motorcycling, water skiing etc, and many wives don't like it because the husbands have some fun and derived some pleasure from these activities whilst being away from them. And often there is subsequent pestering and trade-offs.

Personally I am very free to pursue my interests, which I appreciate a lot.

I also agree with you that having a parallel relationship whilst married (especially if at the same time you pretend that you are happily married) ends up in stress and tiredness. Not only the men are obliged to tell lots of matching lies which is exhausting, but usually the girlfriends carry their own set of problems which they unload to the man whenever they meet. IMO if things don't work out, best to divorce and carry on from there.

--

"Form follows function"

RC:

Agreed 

Never, ever cheat.  Too many better ways to live life.  I for one have just returned from Vegas - just signed up for #2.  this one will ast forever - wish me luck.

Leawood911:

Never, ever cheat.  Too many better ways to live life.  I for one have just returned from Vegas - just signed up for #2.  this one will ast forever - wish me luck.

Smiley Smiley Smiley

--

Borrowed a Performance Box today (my wife made mine disappear, first the cables, then the box itself surprise) and did some testing from 0-160 kph and 100-200 kph (winter tires OEM Pirelli Sottozero Winter...limited to 240 kph). Outside temperature was around 7°C, road wasn't fully dry and clean (winter weather over here) but acceptable (no snow, pavement was only very little wet with some gravel). Fuel tank was full, I was alone in the car. I also recorded some videos with a Hero GoPro 2 Cam and will post them to YouTube as soon as I have the time (videos only show speed and boost pressure though, nothing spectacular).

Here are the (average) results:

0-160 kph (without launch control, one try only): 6.57 seconds.

100-200 kph (average from several runs): 6.41 seconds.

Max. boost pressure was at no time over 1.1 bar (gauge) in these speed ranges. Overboost adds 0.15 bar, just for the book. Usually the max. boost pressure moved from 0.8 to 1.0 bar during the above trials.

I also tried a run from 100-200 kph without overboost (Sport mode off) and the result was only 0.17 seconds slower, which was kind of a surprise. I did that only once, so maybe there was something wrong but if true, the overboost doesn't really improve performance by much in the acceleration run from 100 to 200 kph.

This isn't something scientific or actually of real value but I guess it proves pretty well that customer cars run as good as test cars and there isn't much of a performance difference.

My car has 3500 km now, so with some luck, performance will improve a little bit further when I reach 5000-10000 km. Hopefully. Smiley

--

Wow,

pretty impressive already. That makes the car accelerate considerably under 10 seconds to 200 kph if one adds a very conservative acceleration time to 100 kph. devil

Ferdie:

Wow,

pretty impressive already. That makes the car accelerate considerably under 10 seconds to 200 kph if one adds a very conservative acceleration time to 100 kph. devil

Yes but I was alone in the car and I think that Auto Motor und Sport measures with two passengers. 

One thing is for sure though: Customer cars run pretty well too, not only press cars. Smiley

--

It shows you can make easly make under 10sec fom 0-200Kph all day long !!!! Overall amazing performance and better than mags have measured.

J.Seven

J.Seven:

It shows you can make easly make under 10sec fom 0-200Kph all day long !!!! Overall amazing performance and better than mags have measured.

J.Seven

I don't know...one car magazine tested 0-200 kph in 9.8 seconds, the other one in 9.6 seconds. Only Sport Auto measured 10.1 seconds (as far as I remembered) but they test with two persons.

The most important thing is: The Turbo S delivers at least what Porsche promises, so no worries here.

I should mention that I use 100 octane fuel (in the US, this would be 97 octane fuel), Shell VPower. Not sure it makes a difference but on turbo charged cars, it usually does a little bit.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688627 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408727 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255528 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234797 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65399 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857592 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773412 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM