Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

RIP Paul Walker aka Brian O'Connor

Despite what everyone thinks how great the Carrera GT is, it's can almost be labeled as the new proper Porsche widow maker over the GT2.

http://www.tmz.com/2013/11/30/paul-walker-dead-dies-car-accident-fatal-fire-crash/

--

Re: RIP Paul Walker aka Brian O'Connor

All the attention has been given to Paul Walker as can be expected, but I hope the owner is not one of us here. RIP. 

According to the Carrera GT registry, car number 130, 177, 432, 479, 540, 582, 631, 642, 656, 662, 688, 689, 710, 805, 905, 918, 962, 969, 981, 1014, 1034, 1037 are the Guards Red ones in the USA. Registry is not complete, only 580 out of 1270 are listed. 

Car 177 and 540, has ascot interior, 582 and 918 is unknown, that's left 18 known red cars with dark grey interior.

I had wondered about whether the owner is one of us here, but I haven't seen someone posted a red CGT here so figured that chance is slim. 

--

The car apparently belonged to Roger Rodas (the driver at the wheel)

I'm actually pretty glad I never bought one of these.

Owner was a guy named Roger Rodas. He had a performance car company called Always Evolving. Never head of it or him, but coincidentally, I almost sold  a car to someone the other day who said he almost bought a car from Almost Evolving.

RIP... any car accident with such an impact is badly sad. As we all know, the GT is a very different beast and not that easy to drive as any other car. Not sure if the driver had the right training - especially the manual clutch is something you have to know and understand to handle. Maybe he had to much rev's on it when shifting - this beast doesn't forgive any mistake!.

RIP Paul Walker (Brian O'Connor).

1385892181270pw.jpg

I started a new thread about his death after I didn't see this thread, which was kind of weird. Now I deleted my thread. Sorry about that.

My son loved Paul Walker, he is a big fan of the Fast & Furious franchise. He was devastated after I told him.

Paul Walker, 40 years old, leaves behind a 15-year old daughter, which is very very sad. She just moved to him from Hawaii last year (the mother is his former girlfriend).

The driver apparently hit a lamp pole and then a tree. The car went up in flames. Paul Walker was a passenger in the Carrera GT, the driver was Roger Rodas, a friend and pro race driver. Roger Rodas leaves behind a wife and two kids.

1385892203882image-574592-galleryV9-bjjl.jpg

Which reminds me again of how dangerous the Carrera GT can be, this is not a car you enjoy driving fast on a public road. This car has no safety net and even Walter Röhrl crashed one during development. This is the downside of the "raw" cars some of us seem to love: One little mistake and we are on our own. Please keep that in mind when you think it is a more involving driving experience driving a car without ESP. Even a tiny bit of safety net can be a lifesaver. Especially on public roads, keep that lifesaver on and do not drive with it turned off. Roger Rodas, the driver, was a professional race car driver with some serious experience behind the wheel of fast and powerful cars. Keep that in mind when you think you are a good driver, driving your "raw" car at the limit.

One of our most respected users died a couple of years ago in a Carrera GT on the race track and not only he died but also his passenger. Both left behind two mourning wives and the driver a little baby girl. Tragic.

I hate driving as a passenger with others because I have no control of what is going on. Keep that in mind when a friend asks you to enjoy a fun ride in his new car.

RIP Paul Walker aka Brian O'Connor.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Well said Christian - excellent advice and very relevant.  I think it's more like 8 years since Ben passed on... but still very clearly remembered...surprise

RIP Paul Walker..

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

RIP Paul Walker. Very sad as always when such tragedies happen. The C.GT of course is a dangerous beast. Years ago I wished to own it. It was planned to share the car with a close friend of mine. But even at this time I heard how dangerous this car could be if only a little mistake is involved. So we gave up our plan. 

Very sad for his 15 years old daughter. :-(

--

Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW Grand Coupe 650i xDrive

How come there was no PSM fitted by Porsche to the Carrera GT? The system was a available as from the introduction of the 996 Carrera 4! The macho car mentality yes

Nevertheless, unless there is a mechanical fault it is human error in 99% of the cases. In a superfast car it doesn't mean we must get carried away and drive on the limits all the time and everywhere. The human brain must be the superior control unit. 

Pity to lose a famous young man and a father.

--

"Form follows function"

Very sad indeed, in the prime of life with a teenage daughter deprived of her dad.... I sometimes think of the relevance of driving even a 997 C2S on our over crowded roads, speed limited to 70 mph, too many bad drivers........Smiley

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

so sad.... both of them so young. bad way to go sitting in the passenger seat......

the owner/driver apparently does professional racing.... goes to show even experienced drivers cant tame the CGT.... tho he must have been WAY over the speed limit.

drive safe everyone.

--

BMW 1 M + C63 (gone).   997.2 GT3

I know him more from his work with Ocearch. He was a great ambassador for shark preservation causes but was by all accounts a talented actor and amateur race car driver too. Sad to see him go. RIP.

RIP Paul Walker & well said Christian..I've had my CGT for almost 9 years and after 40k on its odometer I couldn't have agreed more with what you said about the dangerous nature of the car. Moreover, if one decides on turning off the TC then he's really asking for trouble. 99% of owners are not professional enough to handle its limits (me included) so please guys be very very careful when you are tempted to do so. Bless you all!

--

TC is not PSM, as far as I know. It only aids traction on initial acceleration from standstill and up to a very low speed.  Under all other circumstances there is no safety net.

Moreover, I think that tyres are very crucial for the C GT like for all superfast cars. These cars cover low mileages, so even if tyres are not worn on the tread, they become inflexible and ineffective after a few years.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

TC is not PSM, as far as I know. It only aids traction on initial acceleration from standstill and up to a very low speed.  Under all other circumstances there is no safety net.

Moreover, I think that tyres are very crucial for the C GT like for all superfast cars. These cars cover low mileages, so even if tyres are not worn on the tread, they become inflexible and ineffective after a few years.

It did rain on Friday, here in Southern California.  Maybe the roads were still a little damp.

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

You you are reginos, TCis not PSM. What I was referring to are some drivers turning off TC in order to practice drifting in public roads!

in any case, supercars are extremely fun but they are extremely dangerous as well even with driver's aid devices. Taking professional training courses in how to handle them is a plus. However, no training will completely guard you from the unexpected on public roads.

--

reginos:

How come there was no PSM fitted by Porsche to the Carrera GT? The system was a available as from the introduction of the 996 Carrera 4! The macho car mentality yes

--

"Form follows function"

I never understood this either, especially since Porsche Cars North America  had to pay out $$$$ in the early 80s for  losing that famous La Jolla crash liability case in the US for selling the original widow maker , the 930 Turbo,  and thereafter dialed in significant understeer the next 20 years  in all their 911s until PSM was developed. 

Chrysler had the same macho marketing mentality for their previous Viper, and many of those left the road backwards also.

I've been saying it for years, CGT should have had PSM..... at least there are decent approved tyres available now (thanks to persistence of owners)

This is an awful and shocking tragedy but I'm afraid it won't be the last CGT accident, owners please take care.  

--

3.9  GT2 2011 make over

Just saw this video from the scene....I'm wondering why no one is trying to help?!?! People in US don't have fire extinguisher in their cars??? Maybe the extinguisher won't help, maybe they already dead, but damn, nobody even tried Smiley

--

People are too afraid to help because they believe that cars would explode but they only do so in movies.

RIP, Paul Walker. 

--

Porsche 911 GT3 - Guards Red 997 MKII Clubsport

SportCarGroup:

People in US don't have fire extinguisher in their cars??? --

Correct! There are extremely few drivers who carry a fire extinguisher in their car in the US.

The car is not dangerous... It's always the driver that is dangerous. Some people think that they are invincible and that they can handle everything. That's when a car becomes dangerous. The person sitting next to the driver is just as responsible as the driver is.

I know it's very sad, but I've lost my father and brother at the same time because of idiots like this, so I can't have much respect for it. Sorry...

it's very sad for their families. That's for sure!

--

Suzy

I don't know how you help an accident like that. The heat from flames extends far behind the physical flames. Would it explode? Highly unlikely. Would a fire extinguisher help? Probably not, and you might get seriously hurt getting close to it without protective gear.

I really don't know what you do other than stand back and hope.

I don't share Suzy's view entirely, but it really does seem more like very bad judgement that led to a bad accident. You can drive a CGT very safely at 35 mph. You can cut speed very quickly when you press the brakes and the damage does not look like a low speed collision. That looks like a very high-speed accident. 

From TMZ:

Paul Walker may not have ever gotten into the car that took him to his death if it hadn't been acting up moments before the crash ... TMZ has learned.

Paul showed up Saturday for a fundraiser at Always Evolving -- Roger Rodas' high end auto shop that specializes in exotic cars. Paul had a stake in the shop.

Sources connected to Roger tell TMZ when Paul arrived ... Roger was watching one of his employees try in vain to back the Carrera GT into the shop, but it kept stalling. Roger decided to take matters into his own hands ... told the worker to get out and took the wheel himself. 

As Roger began to back into the garage ... Paul came up and said he hadn't driven in the Porsche yet -- so he jumped in the passenger seat and they took a 20 minute drive.

The fatal accident happened on the way back from that drive -- just 500 yards from the shop.

Paul's best friend from childhood, Nute, grabbed a fire extinguisher and was among the first to arrive on scene. We're told Nute frantically tried to extinguish the flames ... even though it appeared to him both men were already dead. 

When the fire dept arrived they tried to pull Nute away, but he was overwrought and punched a firefighter. We're told Sheriff's deputies put Nute -- and several other of Paul and Roger's friends -- in custody, but let them go when they realized the circumstances.

That's so tragic.. RIP both lost souls and I feel for both families involved.

I just cannot understand why you would blast 100+ down some industrial park like that! It is highly dangerous in any car, and not just for the person in that car... think of others. What makes matters worse is that the driver was an experienced Porsche race driver... definitely a case of over confidence and human error that's the cause of taking both lives.

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

John H:

Well said Christian - excellent advice and very relevant.  I think it's more like 8 years since Ben passed on... but still very clearly remembered...surprise

RIP Paul Walker..

R.I.P Paul Walker, these are very sad news.

Ben's accident is still so present that it doesn't seem real so many years have passed!! The outcome of that tragic accident on trial was incredible, $ 4.5 million !!!!

J.Seven

Best 'hope' was that both were killed instantly when the car crashed and they didn't experience any of the flames.......

We always knew the CGT was one of the most on edge. at the edge sports car ever, it's the ultimate 'macho' car as some might put it, or in another word the 'best analog sports car'. Digital computerized technology were developed for a reason, not to feminize a car but to make the safety net bigger. 

I knew there was a reason somehow that I gave up my search for a CGT even when I had one of them lined up earlier in the year and switched to a more modern version i.e. 918.

--

RIP

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

RIP too,

Why oh why though do some guys have to prove point behind the wheel of such a vehicle.. Your in a street for crying at loud. Very tragic and what's more tragic is that it can be so easily avoided..

--

throt

"I couldn't do it"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688516 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408689 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255520 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234773 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65388 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857566 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773352 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM