Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: Porsche Macan

Here a video of Turbo from the cockpit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yjA5F2grbw8

I'v noted that the computer on the right with half tank says that the remaining Km are only 70! (43.5 miles)

If I'm good in mathematics that means an average of 2km/litre (5,6ml/gal)!!

Can you confirm?

--
    Waiting 4 my 997 4S ...........

maybe it was in idle mode for quite sometime before the vieo started?  so effectively zero km/L

it is an average number - that was one thing that bugged me about my 991 - could not get an instantanious reading; always some kind of averages.

--

2013 Lotus Evora S/ 2008 Cayenne GTS Manual

2012 991 C2S -PDK / 2010 997.2 turbo cab manual, sold //2008 RS 60 sold /04 C4S sold - 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

sure sounded pretty amazing from the inside - wait until there is a sports exhaust as well.

--

2013 Lotus Evora S/ 2008 Cayenne GTS Manual

2012 991 C2S -PDK / 2010 997.2 turbo cab manual, sold //2008 RS 60 sold /04 C4S sold - 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

You guys are going to have to thank to the unwashed masses for buying the base Cayenne and pretty soon the Macan S so Porsche can finance the GT3, 918 and other super-cars so that the elites like yourself can drive and thumb their noses at their secretaries.

Location of the battery is shown in the two following pictures:

_D7A7676.jpg_D7A7677.jpg

--
    Porsche owner since 1975.

matpop:

Here a video of Turbo from the cockpit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yjA5F2grbw8

I'v noted that the computer on the right with half tank says that the remaining Km are only 70! (43.5 miles)

If I'm good in mathematics that means an average of 2km/litre (5,6ml/gal)!!

Can you confirm?

It's a rigged gas gauge. When it's showing 1/2 full, it means it has maybe 1/3 to 1/4 left in the tank. Not just Porsche, but all car makers rigged the gas gauge. Why no one sue them is a mystery.

The excuse was most people fill up when the tank is half empty, so if they rigged it, it will cause customers to think the car is 'great' on gas milage. 

--

turbolite:

Saw my first Macan live, up and close, (walked around it) , an S model im the Swiss Mountains (St Moritz area) yesterday! 

Bottom line: nice but very bland. my wife said she'd choose the Evoque over the Macan anytime and i would not blame her! The car is not sleek and sexy. This might be a bit different in the Turbo version, but this S version in silver kind of failed to impress me. It looks relatively small and compact  (i parked my X 6 close to it)  although we know that the size is still pretty large. We saw a Cayenne turbo a couple of minutes later and it was like day and night! If i had to choose between one and the other i'd always go for the Cayenne! That is a grown ups car, the other one will unfortunately become the housewife's choice (particularly in 4 cylinder disguise), or be the late twenties aspirational car. 

I would caution anyone to order it without seeing it live, the pictures dont give the real impression in my opinion. It is not ugly at all but NEVER looks as if it could be worth Sfr 125000 or Eur 100000!  For that money i'd always rather get a used Cayenne turbo or GTS. So much more value and authority for the money.  

So for us we decided it's a no go. yes

The whole point of the Macan is to blend in, not to attract too much attention. 

Of course you are driving a X6, so you kind of want to attract attention Smiley but if your wife likes the Evoque more, I guess she cares about looks more than about everything else. Don't worry, she is in a good place with my wife. Smiley

Kidding aside, the Macan is not supposed to attract attention, it is not supposed to be sleek and sexy. This is something Porsche leaves to others, simply because the brand alone would create enough controversy for the owner to put him in "trouble" with other people. 

I don't know how the public perception of SUVs is in Switzerland but over here in Germany, oh boy... Smiley Smiley Porsche would make a huge strategic mistake to make the Macan too flashy and too "obvious".

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:
     Don't worry, she is in a good place with my wife. Smiley

I don't know how the public perception of SUVs is in Switzerland but over here in Germany, oh boy... Smiley Smiley Porsche would make a huge strategic mistake to make the Macan too flashy and too "obvious".

My wife too loves the Evoque . She finds it ''soooo cuuuute'' Smiley   Must be made for women .

As ti SUV perception in Switzerland  , it is not a problem…. anymore .  A few years back, there was some ' politics' group that put pressure and wanted to ban them. We had to vote on it  . It got so rejected that after that there has been no more bad feelings towards them . You see so many, that they are part of the car parc.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:
    RC:
     Don't worry, she is in a good place with my wife. Smiley

My wife too loves the Evoque . She finds it ''soooo cuuuute'' Smiley   Must be made for women .

As ti SUV perception in Switzerland  , it is not a problem…. anymore .  A few years back, there was some ' politics' group that put pressure and wanted to ban them. We had to vote on it  . It got so rejected that after that there has been no more bad feelings towards them . You see so many, that they are part of the car parc.

Considering Swiss winter road conditions and the mountainous terrain, that referendum result should have been predictable.
    It's nice to see the self-righteous people who want to tell others how to live their lives getting put in their place now and again.  Smiley

--

fritz

Tried to spec a Macan turbo again to replace a Cayenne TTS. What is wrong with the colors? Seriously, they are all bland and boring. I don't think we will even bother... For a car supposed to be more fun and sporty, they really messed that up... Aurum metallic? Is that like champagne? So disappointed overall...

SciFrog:

Tried to spec a Macan turbo again to replace a Cayenne TTS. What is wrong with the colors? Seriously, they are all bland and boring. I don't think we will even bother... For a car supposed to be more fun and sporty, they really messed that up... Aurum metallic? Is that like champagne? So disappointed overall...

What's the problem with having eight shades each of silver, grey, and black?

I agree and find it laughable that the LA show car in the crisp medium blue has yet to appear on the website's color palette.  I think back to some of the great Porsche safety colors found in the 1970s and wonder how an orange or green Macan would look...

Yes, in the color department, Porsche surely lacks some...how to put it...innovation. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

All car companies do extensive market research on colors preferred by consumers.  Check out BMW's colors for the X5 for example.  And judging from the colors i see in my large U.S. market area, consumers are preferring grays, blacks some white.

My guess is that the sapphire blue color will appear soon on the configurator.  But honestly, would you buy it?  

A personal aside, but I am starting to like Mahogany, with Luxor beige or Expresso.  

I too would love to see the 1970's "safety" colors make a return (heck, my first "Porsche" was a yellow 914). But the reality is, very few people would buy them. 

A few years ago, we conducted a study for one of the big 3 car companies, around interior colors. Their designers wanted to introduce more interesting colors to the market, similar to what they were seeing in Europe at the time (reds, greens, tans), as opposed to the bland beige and grey that seemed to be standard fare in the US. So we used our cutting edge optimization algorithms and conducted a study, staring with millions of possible color combinations. At the end of the process, we identified three dominant colors that people were interested in. Actually, they were two main colors, with an additional variation on one of them.

Yep, you guessed it: Gray and Beige! There were two variations on beige: beige with a beige dash, or beige with a darker (brownish) dash. 

I used to think that this monotony was created by the dealers, who will only order passe-partout silver and grey cars for stock. But I think that's actually what people want.

On a personal level, I would love to have a Guards Red car; or a Maritime Blue for that matter. But having driven several thousand miles in a red 911 years ago, I think I would prefer not to deal with the attention it attracts. 

Wonderbar:

All car companies do extensive market research on colors preferred by consumers.  Check out BMW's colors for the X5 for example.  And judging from the colors i see in my large U.S. market area, consumers are preferring grays, blacks some white.

My guess is that the sapphire blue color will appear soon on the configurator.  But honestly, would you buy it?  

A personal aside, but I am starting to like Mahogany, with Luxor beige or Expresso.  

Yes, I would, and have purchased cars in colors similar to Sapphire Blue.

The standard colour choice from Porsche is pretty poor on all of their cars. Take a look at the much wider range of colours Land Rover offer on the new Range Rover and Range Rover Sport models as a direct comparison to the Cayenne and Macan.

Porsche limit their choices for purely cost grounds. It is more costs effective to minimise the colour offerings for relatively small production volumes but now that they are breaking out into far more volume driven markets they need to realise that customers want and indeed expect more choice. I doubt very much if they get real valuable feedback on the number of sales they lose out on when potential brand converts walk away from a potential purchase because they are disappointed with the colour choices. In my experience dealers do not record this info at all and don't much care about it when their allocations are fairly small. They most certainly will as volumes grow though.

The car industry in general is years behind in terms of paint offerings. Cars are very much fashion items nowadays - and indeed actively sold as such -  and in the world of fashion colours change each year yet car manufacturers are stuck in a rut and persist in offering the same dull shades for a whole model cycle over many years. They need to be be far more pro-active and replace the slow selling colours each year with new ones. That constantly keeps things fresh and gives buyers an excuse to trade their car in for a new one. It's not rocket science

The have one of the most sophisticated and modern paint shops in the world but still... yes

--

I would consider the Sapphire blue, and some shade of red too...

Bet the red comes when a GTS version arrives...

There is supposedly a red coming for the Macan called Impulse Red metallic.

Love impulses..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7x1ltOxjIE

Not sure how good this presentation was... angry Too much talk about "purists" in my opinion, kind of sounded as if the Porsche CEO had to find an excuse that Porsche actually put the Macan on the market.

Matthias Mueller loves Porsche, he drove a 991 GT3 and now drives a 991 Turbo S but this presentation should have been done by someone else. Also not so convinced by the others but the worst one was actually the moderator at the end with Maria Sharapova. She was sweet but the moderator was a catastrophe. 

I don't know but I think such presentations (world premieres) should be left to professionals. I imagine that the German accent kind of had a certain "charm" for the audience but overall, I didn't like the presentation. Boring.

--

Yes, it looked like each of them had been given a card with 5 phrases / words mandatory to use in the presentation and potentially another card with words no to use...it seemed that only Mrs Sharapova was allowed to put in some personal touch and deviate from the general script...

Smiley

RC:
    turbolite:

Saw my first Macan live, up and close, (walked around it) , an S model im the Swiss Mountains (St Moritz area) yesterday! 

Bottom line: nice but very bland. my wife said she'd choose the Evoque over the Macan anytime and i would not blame her! The car is not sleek and sexy.

The whole point of the Macan is to blend in, not to attract too much attention. 

Of course you are driving a X6, so you kind of want to attract attention Smiley but if your wife likes the Evoque more, I guess she cares about looks more than about everything else. Don't worry, she is in a good place with my wife. Smiley

Kidding aside, the Macan is not supposed to attract attention, it is not supposed to be sleek and sexy. This is something Porsche leaves to others, simply because the brand alone would create enough controversy for the owner to put him in "trouble" with other people. 

Well I guess anyone who buys a porsche macan buys it because he wants to show off (with the badge) a bit and not blend in, because otherwise he would buy a Q5. So if the looks of the Macan (apart from the badge) gets your pulse going as much as a Tiguan, something is wrong Imo....Smiley

--

turbolite

Hmm imho the Q5 looks bland and boring - the Macan on the other side is for me kiss

but im a little bit biased as i ordered the Macan Turbo 

These presentations are so awkward. Why can't they just be straightforward and genuine?

The Macan S gets a great review by Georg Kacher in December's edition of Car magazine where he tests it around the Leipzig track and off road course.

"This much is clear after the first five laps of the track: the new Porsche Macan is the sports car among the trendy soft-roader set. It is faster than the brawny Audi SQ5, nimbler than the awesome BMW X5M, more chuckable than the fiery Mercedes ML63 AMG, even better handling than the mighty Cayenne Turbo S. To be taken seriously then."

turbolite:

Well I guess anyone who buys a porsche macan buys it because he wants to show off (with the badge) a bit and not blend in, because otherwise he would buy a Q5. 

That´s a bit unfair don´t you think? Sure a lot of people who buy brands like porsche do it to show off, but saying that anyone who prefers it to the competition is only in it for the flash is not right.

Agree with Emmanuel.  I can honestly say that, when I bought my first Porsche in 1966, I bought it because it was unique, mysteriously appealing and the antithesis of other muscle and sports cars.  I was hooked then, and am still hooked.  Badge had nothing to do with it...

RC:

The have one of the most sophisticated and modern paint shops in the world but still... yes

But on these cars, isn't VW making the body and painting them? When I first saw the color choices, the first thing that came to mind was "Great, VW reduced the color selection".

And RC, you are talking about VW or does Porsche also have a smaller body assembly plant? From a National Geographic TV show I saw on the Panamera, the smocks on the workers were clearly saying "VW" where the bodies were being made.

--
    Porsche owner since 1975.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    782206 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442932 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263526 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261975 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    86035 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6040 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881720 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819945 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM