Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: RIP Paul Walker aka Brian O'Connor

SuzyF:

The widow is a golddigger, that's for sure. She is only trying to be sure to never have to work again. This won't bring back her husband, this wil only bring her money and media attention, no matter if she wins or loses, which clearly seems to be more important to her than the death of her husband.

C'mon... Smiley

I don't think so. I rather think that Paul Walker's family is "going after" the Rodas family since apparently it was Rodas' fault that the accident happened (excessive speed) and the widow tries everything to save her financial future. She has two kids, remember?! Also, I don't know how successful Rodas was, business-wise, so maybe he wasn't that wealthy and the widow tries to take care of that too. With two kids, "additional" money comes in very handy.

I'm not aware of any technical design flaw on the Carrera GT and I doubt that the excessive speed and the old tires can be ignored. So basically, I think that Porsche won't have anything to worry, maybe the lawyers of Rodas' widow are hoping for a settlement of some kind but as far as I know Porsche (and the technical design of the CGT), I think that Porsche won't pay a dime...(out of free will). Why should they? It wasn't their fault.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:
    SuzyF:

The widow is a golddigger, that's for sure. She is only trying to be sure to never have to work again. This won't bring back her husband, this wil only bring her money and media attention, no matter if she wins or loses, which clearly seems to be more important to her than the death of her husband.

C'mon... Smiley

I don't think so. I rather think that Paul Walker's family is "going after" the Rodas family since apparently it was Rodas' fault that the accident happened (excessive speed) and the widow tries everything to save her financial future. She has two kids, remember?! Also, I don't know how successful Rodas was, business-wise, so maybe he wasn't that wealthy and the widow tries to take care of that too. With two kids, "additional" money comes in very handy.

I'm not aware of any technical design flaw on the Carrera GT and I doubt that the excessive speed and the old tires can be ignored. So basically, I think that Porsche won't have anything to worry, maybe the lawyers of Rodas' widow are hoping for a settlement of some kind but as far as I know Porsche (and the technical design of the CGT), I think that Porsche won't pay a dime...(out of free will). Why should they? It wasn't their fault.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

I'm sorry, but I am not that naive. Why trying to get "aditional" money from a manufacturer that clearly has done nothing wrong in this case? It's not the car, it's the driver that is responsible. No matter what her laywers want, she is the one that gives the approval to the lawyers for the case. I'm sorry, but I can't find a grain in my body that has a little bit of symphaty for this action. Having lost her husband and the father of her children is very, very sad. Trying to make money out of it is a crime.

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

RC:
    SuzyF:

C'mon... Smiley

I don't think so. I rather think that Paul Walker's family is "going after" the Rodas family since apparently it was Rodas' fault that the accident happened (excessive speed) and the widow tries everything to save her financial future. She has two kids, remember?! 

kiss I would not be so harsh without knowing all the facts. 

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

The lawers involved are the ones grinning in all of this and instigating everyting...

--

Carlos from Spain:

The lawers involved are the ones grinning in all of this and instigating everyting...

--

Well... Smiley

Told my wife each and every day...should have become a lawyer...or a dentist. Smiley Smiley

--

IMO these lawsuits are designed to enable relatives of the deceased parties to attribute liability (wholly or partially by virtue of contributory negligence) to the relevant insurance policy (driver's and/or manufacturer's etc) so that the insurers can work out what each one will pay (i.e. what the out of court settlements will be).

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

RC:
    Carlos from Spain:

--

Well... Smiley

Told my wife each and every day...should have become a lawyer...or a dentist. Smiley Smiley

trial layers always win-win no matter what  indecision

--

So what happens if PNA simply ignore the stupid request? Can they do that? Presumably there is insurance to cover spurious and dubious lawsuits from insurance companies? Do American's do irony?

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - 120 Cab - 2 kids, 1 dog

Given that Porsche helped with the inital investigation I would dare say it makes a lot of sense to have someone else looking at the facts as well.  There must be some evidence they have to conclude the speed was only 55.  That might have been the impact speed after scrubbing of speed while skidding or trying to brake and they are claiming the car should have absorbed such an impact without leaking fuel and exploding (ala Pinto).  Not enough have been built to know if they suffer from suspension failures after what most would consider reasonable miles.  Most are not driven enough to have reached this stage.  Anyway my point is we would be much worse off if we have a system where these types of legal challenges were NOT allowed.  Can you imagine what dangerous products would be passed off?  In the big picture such lawsuits amount to a minor expense for insurance companies and producers vs. what they earn and what would happen if they simply could not be sued.

I have enough faith in science and the ability to uncover the facts that enough information will be available to arrive at a fair judgement.  In such a system it is more likely than not that everyone will get exactly what they deserve and not a penny more.  Did anyone really think this would not end in a lawsuit - regardless of the country!  Can you name one country that had lawyers that would have  passed on this suit?  Last I heard lawyers were pretty much the same everywhere.

Nope - I can't see this happening in the UK. I don't recall Rowan Atkinson's insurance company challenging McLaren after he stuffed his F1 into a hedge. These cars need to go through crash approval before allowing to be sold. In the US, it seems anyone can sue anyone else if they even perceive them to be at fault - necessitating the defendant to incur what I guess to be, significant expense.

--

The good news for Porsche is Geragos is not a personal injury attorney. He specializes in criminal law representing high profile clients. His successes of late have been few. 

Porsche has already encountered those allegation in a prior case which you all are familiar with. This will be a difficult case for the driver to win. More importantly, it is a preemptive move by the driver against what is sure to be a  greater problem i.e. facing a lawsuit from the Walker estate which is sure to come. The driver will want to try to pin part of the blame against Porsche to mitigate damages against him.

FWIW, in US litigation full cost of litigation are NOT awarded to the winning party. The driver can cost Porsche litigation expenses which are not recoverable should Porsche successful defend the suit. Had expenses been recoverable, I very much doubt the suit would have been started.

So do you have insurance to cover potential litigation expenses? 

--

I believe Porsche settled the Turbo lawsuits from the late 80's....sometimes cheaper to settle than go through the cost of protracted litigation and the bad publicity.

bridggar:

So do you have insurance to cover potential litigation expenses? 

Generally, insured defendants do not pay for litigation costs including attorney fees because the insurance company assumes the defense. They pick the attorney to defend and pay for defense cost. However, many large companies are often self insured and though they have underling policy they control the litigation.

Plaintiffs are not insured for litigation expenses.

This is exactly what's wrong with America. Everyone is never at fault and it's always someone else and the laws are all screwed up. They have zero common sense and lawyers only cared about their fees.

If only Porsche can counter sue about the driver's stupidity.

These lawyers are making cars more and more annoying, those stupid liability messages on Nav system? The input lockout on Nav system while car is in motion? All their fault.

I am surprised Mrs Rodas didn't sue Porsche for putting too powerful a engine in the car.

--

There is one safety device Porsche should have installed on the car and we all know what that is.

Do you think this kind of accident would have been avoided if PSM was fitted?

Was there a warning in the handbook about it?

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

"If you are a careless speeding moron, don't drive this car"

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

bluelines:
    reginos:

"If you are a careless speeding moron, don't drive this car"

Perhaps, there should also be a warning about making an effort to change those ancient tyres on a 600HP, 600Nm car.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

The speed of the car was around 90mph. Assuming nothing on the pavement caused the accident and the tires had thread, PSM could have stabilized to car sufficiently to avoid hitting the pole leading to the fire. Porsche had the technology back then and today I don't believe Porsche produces a road car which is not equipped with PSM. Also, if I am not mistaken most countries require ESD to be installed on cars.

I am not minimizing the role of the driver and speed causing this accident.

US tort litigation has taken on a new dimension as overall intellectual faculties of Americans has declined.  When a Princeton student names Benjamin Franklin as his favorite American President it's no stretch to assemble a jury that can be convinced of anything no matter how illogical or even outright false.

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

nberry:
    reginos:

The speed of the car was around 90mph. Assuming nothing on the pavement caused the accident and the tires had thread, PSM could have stabilized to car sufficiently to avoid hitting the pole leading to the fire. Porsche had the technology back then and today I don't believe Porsche produces a road car which is not equipped with PSM. Also, if I am not mistaken most countries require ESD to be installed on cars.

I am not minimizing the role of the driver and speed causing this accident.

FWIW, ESP systems became compulsory on new cars and light commercial vehicles in the EU with type approvals issued after 1 Nov 2011. 

--

"Form follows function"

nberry:

There is one safety device Porsche should have installed on the car and we all know what that is.

PSM (or better known as ESP) wasn't a "common" feature in sports cars by the time the CGT was presented, so why should they (Porsche) have installed it?

Nowadays, it would be much more difficult to put a car without ESP on the market, simply because a lawsuit would be waiting to happen. They (lawyers) could always argue that ESP is a "common" feature on similar products.

Funny side story: When I talked with a Porsche engineer about why launch control isn't "integrated" into the normal start off procedure or why, at least, it isn't "simplified", the answer was quite frank: "If something happens and this goes to court, we can always argue that we are using a system which is "common" and used by similar manufacturers too". It makes sense, indeed but it is sad that because of legal issues, Porsche cannot offer certain features which would make a lot of drivers happy. Actually, because of some idiots who think they can drive because they once did 200 mph on a closed road Smiley, all drivers, even those who can drive, have to suffer.

Launch control is stupid, it is annoying and I never use it. What's the point? You cannot stand at a red light and start to use launch control. On my Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT, the throttle response has been reprogrammed to be instantaneously from standstill. I get a better time (0.1 seconds) than with launch control. Smiley Amazing. No car manufacturer would actually do that for legal reasons. I remember a case when the first Cayenne Turbo has been introduced many many years ago and a woman in the US (I think) crashed into a wall because of the instant throttle response (actually because of her stupidity but thats a different story Smiley), so they reprogrammed it (as far as I remember). I had so many complaints about the throttle response of my first Cayenne Turbo and Porsche couldn't do anything about it for legal reasons. Not even on an individual basis, for the very same reason. This sucked.

Same goes to features like louder exhaust systems: There have been various environmental groups, in Germany for example, who threatened Porsche with legal steps (or even went through with them) to reduce exhaust noise. I wonder why none of these environmental groups doesn't go after Ferrari or Aston Martin or Maserati. Typical... 

--

I don't notice too much difference between launch control and pressing full throttle from standstill on my C4S. In the latter scenario the engine will rev up and the PDK engage at about the same rpm as launch control. This thing fly off the line. 

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

I've never used Launch Control on my car and probably never will. 

--

bridggar:

I've never used Launch Control on my car and probably never will. 

Agree. I never used it on my 997.2 and will never use it on my 991.  Impractical and seemingly mechanically abusive as well despite its official sanctioning. I do like the sport plus mode especially on the 991. 

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

RC:
    nberry:

PSM (or better known as ESP) wasn't a "common" feature in sports cars by the time the CGT was presented, so why should they (Porsche) have installed it?

Nowadays, it would be much more difficult to put a car without ESP on the market, simply because a lawsuit would be waiting to happen. They (lawyers) could always argue that ESP is a "common" feature on similar products.

PSM was introduced on the 996 Carrera 4 in MY1999 and became an option across the range as from MY2000. I had ordered my 986S with PSM.

IMO the CGT that was produced as from 2004 should have it as standard in view of the availability of technology, the price of the car and the huge engine power. And this irrespective of the famous accident.

However, ESP/ASR/PSM or whatever acronym became a legal requirement very much later in 2011.

--

"Form follows function"

DaveC:

US tort litigation has taken on a new dimension as overall intellectual faculties of Americans has declined.  When a Princeton student names Benjamin Franklin as his favorite American President it's no stretch to assemble a jury that can be convinced of anything no matter how illogical or even outright false.

Well, you should've kept him of the $100! Smiley

The lack of ESP is the reason why I didn't get a CGT and will not get one. 2WD and 600hp and summer performance tires is just a disaster waiting to happen.

Not even as an investment? Can't help thinking they are due a stratospheric adjustment soon. In the UK, 993 TT pricing is just stupid. CGT Pool is drying up and everyone loves a bad-boy.....

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690753 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409932 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256123 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235358 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65732 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858679 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM