Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: RIP Paul Walker aka Brian O'Connor

CGX car nut:

Fritz:  That's great in theory but reality seldom matches theory and cars are sometimes damaged before delivery by overzealous handlers.  The most important takeaway is that this memorandum is absolutely meaningless in any substantive analysis of the Walker incident; the CGT is safe when driven at normal road speeds for the conditions present.  As everyone else has posted, the CGT may be more of a handful at the ultimate limit, a limit that should never be reached on public roads.  

......... and most certainly not on a road restricted to 45 mph. I agree with you. Whatever caused this accident, it was most certainly not anything which was inherent in the car's design which could come back to bite a driver's ass 8 or 9 years after it was built, if it were being driven in anything like the manner it should be in that situation. 
    I really didn't want to comment on the accident itself. I'm sure there is more than enough tasteless garbage being tipped into the www anyway.  

--

fritz

I doubt any litigation will involve Porsche. The apparent circumstances of the accident point to excessive speed.

The estate of Walker would have an action against the owner and driver of the CGT. More than likely the car was in the company name so it would include the company. Another possible defendant would be the tire manufacturer if there was evidence of tire failure. However, having defending these cases, the Plaintiff would have a hard time winning unless there was good evidence of tire failure.

Doubt that the car's title was in the shop's name.  Think they were holding it for future sale altho that doesn't  get them off the hook.  The car allegedly had c. 3400 miles on it so there is a good chance these r the original  tires i.e. chances r they hadn't upgraded to the new N spec Michelin super sports…neither have I but I guess it's time.  Tires way too old (in yrs) for a viable tire claim, almost as a matter of law !

I've handled tons of big exposure MVAs and even sued auto manufacturers on a design defect basis.  Not for the faint of heart as I'm sure u can imagine.  Rather have huge damages than liability but this one is too skinny to expect a recovery against Porsche or the tire manufacturer.  However, there was that crazy OC Turbo  plastic surgeon death case, yrs ago, where a trial verdict was obtained ag Porsche for its failure to provide an adequate warning  (on the car, I think) noting that the car was very dangerous … dah

CGT LA:

Doubt that the car's title was in the shop's name.  Think they were holding it for future sale altho that doesn't  get them off the hook.  The car allegedly had c. 3400 miles on it so there is a good chance these r the original  tires i.e. chances r they hadn't upgraded to the new N spec Michelin super sports…neither have I but I guess it's time.  Tires way too old (in yrs) for a viable tire claim, almost as a matter of law !

I've handled tons of big exposure MVAs and even sued auto manufacturers on a design defect basis.  Not for the faint of heart as I'm sure u can imagine.  Rather have huge damages than liability but this one is too skinny to expect a recovery against Porsche or the tire manufacturer.  However, there was that crazy OC Turbo  plastic surgeon death case, yrs ago, where a trial verdict was obtained ag Porsche for its failure to provide an adequate warning  (on the car, I think) noting that the car was very dangerous … dah

Is that the matter with the woman driver and the male passenger was killed?  If I recall correctly, an argument was made that the Turbo was defective because of a bent brake pedal, a brake pedal that was bent as a result of the accident.  However, in front of the jury the Porsche lawyers needed to prove that it was a result of the accident, and not a defect that contributed to the accident. 

nberry:

I doubt any litigation will involve Porsche. The apparent circumstances of the accident point to excessive speed.

The estate of Walker would have an action against the owner and driver of the CGT. More than likely the car was in the company name so it would include the company. Another possible defendant would be the tire manufacturer if there was evidence of tire failure. However, having defending these cases, the Plaintiff would have a hard time winning unless there was good evidence of tire failure.

The Walker estate would need to prove that he wasn't the driver.  That may be more difficult than one would expect because, even if the photos taken pre-incident show Walker as the passenger, there appears to be no witnesses to prove or disprove the driver of the CGT at the time of the incident. Add the difficulty in ID'ing and this becomes much more complicated.  

Roger Rodas was a friend and I think that Paul Walker (hopefully) left enough money for his kid to keep everything in the green (financially). So I kind of doubt that there will be any legal actions from Walker's estate side vs the Rodas family but of course you can never be sure. At some point, we will know if Rodas was sober and/or drug free when he drove the car and at another point, we will probably also learn about the likely impact speed. 

Very sad incident but to try to blame Porsche for it is more than ridiculous. Some German magazines and news sources kind of started to focus on the "dangerous" Carrera GT with comments from so called "experts", claiming that the Carrera GT is something special...in a very negative way. 

Like you said before: The Carrera GT certainly is not a bit dangerous at the legal speeds imposed by the traffic signs Rodas must have seen and even if he didn't see them, any speed over 70 mph would have been too much. Even if the 85 percentile rule (there seems to be some weird regulation in the California law, never really understood it, maybe Nick or others could shed some light to it) would apply (which apparently it doesn't since there was not much traffic around), it wouldn't justify a speed of over 80 mph. Then again, there was a 45 mph speed limit on that street, so... enlightened

Bottom line is: Nobody knows exactly what happened but if the car was technically OK (incl. the tires), there is no way the car could be blamed for this accident. 

Judging by the low mileage of the car and the possibility that these were the original tires, it could be however possible that one of the five(?) previous owners actually damaged a tire while driving (driving over a certain kind of boardwalk would suffice) and that tire blew at some point. If this is the case, this wouldn't be the manufacturers fault.

Difficult situation but I actually think that we should hold back with speculations until the investigation is over. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

CGT LA:

I believe that case was back in the late eighties. As a result of that case, it is rumored that Porsche held back producing Turbo Cabs for 15 years.

The CGT tires wear quickly. I some cases within 2500 miles. The tires could have been replaced. As far as the title of the car, you're right it could be in any name but I still suspect it was the dealership.

excellent article by Chris Harris: http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=29008

i would be very surprised if owners of a CGT would not maintain their tires and Change them based on elapsed time rather than mileage....

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

sfo:

excellent article by Chris Harris: http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=29008

Yep he's certainly hit the nail on the head.  But I never had an issue with my Elise S1 handling unless the geometry was slightly out - then it was a pig and was prone to oversteering on turn in.   So I slowed down until it was checked.  I did over 20000 miles in that car (often very quickly) and never even had a close shave despite no ABS, traction control and ESP.  However, I wouldn't buy a car now without them and Lotus has proven with the latest Elise and Exige that a car can feel raw and still have these systems.

--

Gen II Cayman S

RIP Brain O'Connor.

Their luck ran out, and we may never know what really happened. Speed was 100% a factor so let's leave it at that. If you speed in public roads you are always playing with your luck.. so many objects, driveways, etc etc etc... they were on their way back from probably an amazing 20 min cruise in the most amazing car money can buy.. The fact that they crashed within a few hundred meters of the shop on their way back means that the driver probably felt comfortable after 20 min and wanted to "show off"/ experience the amazing acceleration once more on the final straight stretch of road before turning back to the shop... this sounds very human and sad to me.. If i recall correctly, most accidents happen within 1km of peoples homes because they get into that familiar road and slightly let go of their precaution as they are almost home.. well in a CGT this can be enough... I only crashed once in my life, my truck on black ice, but it was 50m from my driveway and I know I wasn't really paying attention anymore, started to think about what to do once I am home.. I think this statistic is universally true.

As for the social media and so called "journalism" it is pathetic what I have to read... makes me very sad how immature and insensitive people can be. I am sad by this tragic accident of course and I can only imagine the grief of both their families having left young children and loved ones behind.. but people are so pathetic for writing on this with often very crappy if any reasonable arguments.. just STFU instead. That CNN article was a complete waste of time.. I wonder why the moron even sat down and wrote it.

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Atzporsche:

As for the social media and so called "journalism" it is pathetic what I have to read... makes me very sad how immature and insensitive people can be. I am sad by this tragic accident of course and I can only imagine the grief of both their families having left young children and loved ones behind.. but people are so pathetic for writing on this with often very crappy if any reasonable arguments.. just STFU instead. That CNN article was a complete waste of time.. I wonder why the moron even sat down and wrote it.

My son told some of his class mates about Paul Walker's death (since many kids over here are big fans of the Fast & Furious franchise) and nobody actually cared. You know what one kid said to him?: "So what, thousands of people die every day in Africa, why should I care." This comes from an 11 year old kid. Nothing more to say. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:
    Atzporsche:

My son told some of his class mates about Paul Walker's death (since many kids over here are big fans of the Fast & Furious franchise) and nobody actually cared. You know what one kid said to him?: "So what, thousands of people die every day in Africa, why should I care." This comes from an 11 year old kid. Nothing more to say. Smiley

Pretty strange. 

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

intouch1:

i would be very surprised if owners of a CGT would not maintain their tires and Change them based on elapsed time rather than mileage....

I wouldn't.

Cars so up in the food chain are mostly owned by people that have them as status symbols. they probably don't care about specs or anything like that and unless they have an actual issue with the car or are reminded to take it in for service they wouldn't. 

SoCal Alan:
    RC:
    Atzporsche:

Pretty strange. 

Not really. I remember a discussion about 9/11 and how many people died and some of the involved people used a similar argument. I guess that 11 year old got that from his parents. Smiley

--

RC:
    SoCal Alan:
    RC:
    Atzporsche:

Pretty strange. 

Not really. I remember a discussion about 9/11 and how many people died and some of the involved people used a similar argument. I guess that 11 year old got that from his parents. Smiley

That would also be my guess. Kids of that age usually don't do this kind of thinking by themselves. However, there may be exceptions.

--

Porsche 911 GT3 - Guards Red 997 MKII Clubsport

SuzyF:

The car is not dangerous... It's always the driver that is dangerous. Some people think that they are invincible and that they can handle everything. That's when a car becomes dangerous. The person sitting next to the driver is just as responsible as the driver is.

I know it's very sad, but I've lost my father and brother at the same time because of idiots like this, so I can't have much respect for it. Sorry...

it's very sad for their families. That's for sure!

Suzy

Precisely! The presses are out all over the world blaming the car as 'dangerous'. We do not know what really happened and we may never know but the speculation is rampant.

To driver skill/responsibility I add the maintenance condition of the car. SoCal is full of tuner shops who mod these cars without impunity. I am pretty sure that the car is mechanically safe as designed, but I am not so sure when it is modded.

In any case, my sincere wishes that the driver and passenger rest in peace and condolences to their families.

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/12/04/opinion/paul-walker-porsche/?hpt=hp_c3

This takes us back to the other guy who got himself killed in a GT2 RS the day of delivery.

I will blame Porsche for one thing when it comes to their GT cars, limited choice of tires for such powerful 2wd cars.

RIP

Cant do CNN sorry. It is like going to a fancy restaurant and being fed mushy baby food.....

Over in Germany, where these cars are actually being driven at higher speeds people do not complain.

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Atzporsche:

Cant do CNN sorry. It is like going to a fancy restaurant and being fed mushy baby food.....

Over in Germany, where these cars are actually being driven at higher speeds people do not complain.

In Germany, we have the TÜV and owners usually do not maintain their high performance cars themselves or in third party repair shops but they use authorized dealers for that, who are trained and have the right equipment.

This makes a huge difference.

--

RC:
    Atzporsche:

In Germany, we have the TÜV and owners usually do not maintain their high performance cars themselves or in third party repair shops but they use authorized dealers for that, who are trained and have the right equipment.

This makes a huge difference.

I agree 150%! I take a lot of grief from friends who think I'm a sucker for paying dealer prices for service, especially out of warranty, but I have never let an unauthorized mechanic work on any of my Porsches.  One cannot come back to the factory complaining about failures once non factory authorized personnel have worked on the car.   

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

IMO you cannot drive above nominal speeds unless the car is in tip top condition.

The most neglected part is the tyres. Rare cars cover low mileages and sometimes there is plenty of tread but after 3-4 years tyres are below performance nevertheless due loss of flexibility and deterioration of rubber..

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

IMO you cannot drive above nominal speeds unless the car is in tip top condition.

The most neglected part is the tyres. Rare cars cover low mileages and sometimes there is plenty of tread but after 3-4 years tyres are below performance nevertheless due loss of flexibility and deterioration of rubber..

Tell me about tires. We sometimes have some Porsche owner meetings, with some nice driving around through nature and then having lunch together, etc.. Whenever we park the cars, I see some of my fellow Porsche owners driving over boardwalks and similar stuff with a car like a 997 Turbo S, GT3, whatever. In the beginning I tried to talk to these guys about it but now I keep my mouth shut. Why? In the past, when I tried to discuss this with others doing similar stuff, I got a pretty annoyed look and one guy even told me to mind my own business. Smiley You can actually read in almost every car magazine at least once a year that tires have a memory, that they do not like to climb boardwalks, that they need to be handled with care but I guess it is the same with using the turn signal: The more you try to teach people, the more they ignore it. There was a huge "use your turn signal" campaign in Germany a couple of years ago but did it help? Whenever I'm on the Autobahn, at least 50% (at least) are not using their turn signal when they change the lane. Bummer.

Stupidity never dies I guess and all warnings are rended useless when some people think they are more clever than experts.

--

Sorry to say but I had ruled the car out because it doesn't have ESP. My 2005 612 has it and I would not have bought it without...

SciFrog:

Sorry to say but I had ruled the car out because it doesn't have ESP. My 2005 612 has it and I would not have bought it without...

ESP is fine but has a narrow operating range. It will not save a shunt at triple digits.

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

ESP is a great thing to have, for those moments you may not have paid attention for a fraction of a second or you just were tired, whatever. However, ESP cannot defy physics. I've seen so many accidents with 911s, surprisingly mostly on the Autobahn (aquaplaning) or on country roads (rear comes and driver doesn't react properly...) and most of them had ESP. Also, many drivers turn off ESP (PSM) on public roads, which in my opinion is just plain stupid. A little bit of dirt, another driver who doesn't pay attention, it is always good to have ESP working in the background on a public road. I usually drive in Sport mode, rarely in Sport Plus mode (unless I know the road very very well) and NEVER with PSM turned off. Even on the race track, ESP can be of a benefit, especially if you aren't Walter Röhrl. Non-professional drivers make mistakes and it is good to have ESP in the background watching over you. I know that ESP comes on again when you brake but sometimes people brake when the car is already in all wheels sliding mode...

The Carrera GT is an amazing sports car but it requires an experienced and prudent driver. This is no car you race on a public road, there is no error margin. We still don't know what happened with Walker and Rodas, so we shouldn't speculate but the police seems to be sure that the car was speeding, so... Smiley

--

RC:

ESP is a great thing to have, for those moments you may not have paid attention for a fraction of a second or you just were tired, whatever. However, ESP cannot defy physics. I've seen so many accidents with 911s, surprisingly mostly on the Autobahn (aquaplaning) or on country roads (rear comes and driver doesn't react properly...) and most of them had ESP. Also, many drivers turn off ESP (PSM) on public roads, which in my opinion is just plain stupid. A little bit of dirt, another driver who doesn't pay attention, it is always good to have ESP working in the background on a public road. I usually drive in Sport mode, rarely in Sport Plus mode (unless I know the road very very well) and NEVER with PSM turned off. Even on the race track, ESP can be of a benefit, especially if you aren't Walter Röhrl. Non-professional drivers make mistakes and it is good to have ESP in the background watching over you. I know that ESP comes on again when you brake but sometimes people brake when the car is already in all wheels sliding mode...

The Carrera GT is an amazing sports car but it requires an experienced and prudent driver. This is no car you race on a public road, there is no error margin. We still don't know what happened with Walker and Rodas, so we shouldn't speculate but the police seems to be sure that the car was speeding, so... Smiley

--

Exactly right, on both topics.

--

Based on some footage of the car just before the accident, they estimate the speed between 80-90mph. The road is wide and it has had a history of vehicles racing in the area. So speed may not have been the primary cause of the accident. The driver was a professional so you have to assume something or someone caused him to lose control. 

nberry:

Based on some footage of the car just before the accident, they estimate the speed between 80-90mph. The road is wide and it has had a history of vehicles racing in the area. So speed may not have been the primary cause of the accident. The driver was a professional so you have to assume something or someone caused him to lose control. 

What does it mean to be a professional driver? Was he a racing driver in a sanctioned racing series? Race drivers do not speed on public roads.

If he crashed at 80/90MPH, that is an insane/unacceptable speed for that location and he was probably still faster before the crash.

Yes, beyond speed something else could be at play, like cold tires, and/or a mod gone wrong. There are reports of people removing parts from the car soon after the crash...

--

ADias:

What does it mean to be a professional driver? Was he a racing driver in a sanctioned racing series? Race drivers do not speed on public roads.

I think they frequently do.

• Lewis Hamilton was ticketed, and his license suspended, for doing 196 kmh in a 130 zone in France. (Not to mention his  Australian burn outs.)
    • Felipe Massa was ticketed for speeding and got 6 points on his license on the way to work (Italian Grand Prix) one morning.
    • Kyle Busch was ticketed, and had his license revoked, for doing 128 mph near a day-care center. (Practically every driver in NASCAR has been ticketed for speeding.)

It's not surprising that people who like to drive fast so much that they do it for a living drive fast on and off the track.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688998 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408922 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255623 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234882 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65461 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4640 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857746 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773706 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM