Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 918 Spyder

Spotted in Barcelona

--

Nice pics. The interior looks incredibly detailed, as it should be. It's not over done though. 

Autocar video review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9vBKEGjytE

Porsche 918 Spyder driven by Autocar...

"The Porsche 918 Spyder is the ultimate combination of cutting-edge technology and conventional supercar wisdom. Autocar puts Porsche's Bugatti Veyron-beater to the test..."

Porsche 918 Spyder driven by Autocar -- Video Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

--

Bad9H7iIUAAvbuP.jpg large.jpgBaTy1XgIcAAsZ3G.jpg large.jpgPorsche_918-Spyder_2013_3.jpgPorsche_918-Spyder_2013_4.jpg001Porsche918Spyder.JPG8EEC4FDDBEFF1B02116C61B99CE3.JPG010Porsche918Spyder-lg.JPG014Porsche918Spyder.JPG

--

It´s a shame that the beautiful design on the front where it goes from concave to convex has to be covered by the licence plate. so happy to live in a country where we dont use front plates. 

For your desktops! wink  Click to enlarge

P13_0838_a4_r.jpg

--

Enmanuel:

It´s a shame that the beautiful design on the front where it goes from concave to convex has to be covered by the licence plate. so happy to live in a country where we dont use front plates. 

Totally agree, I think having two license plates on  a car is kind of obsolete nowadays. Smiley

--

If I don't fly, I drive my .:RS 

First customer car???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y7Qg6qY0O8

--

Nope.

Pilot:
    Enmanuel:

Totally agree, I think having two license plates on  a car is kind of obsolete nowadays. Smiley

In Germany, in order to convict the driver for speeding, they need a photo of his face. This is only possible if the photo is made from the front. This also means that they need the license plate on the front. Same applies for other countries. Otherwise they would need two cameras, one for the face and one for the rear license plate.

Over here (and in many other countries), the speeding ticket comes through the mail with your photo attached to it. Actually two photos: One of your face and one of your (front) license plate.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:

In Germany, in order to convict the driver for speeding, they need a photo of his face. This is only possible if the photo is made from the front. This also means that they need the license plate on the front. Same applies for other countries. Otherwise they would need two cameras, one for the face and one for the rear license plate.

Over here (and in many other countries), the speeding ticket comes through the mail with your photo attached to it. Actually two photos: One of your face and one of your (front) license plate.

in the UK, all they need is a picture of your number plate .. the registered owner of the car is assumed to be driver, and he/she must say who it was if not him/her.

no need for anything so tedious for the Police to have actual proof of who was driving!

sfo:

in the UK, all they need is a picture of your number plate .. the registered owner of the car is assumed to be driver, and he/she must say who it was if not him/her.

no need for anything so tedious for the Police to have actual proof of who was driving!

In Germany, only the driver can be punished for certain offenses. If the owner doesn't want to say who drove, the police is checking photos from the driver's license or passport to see if they match. They sometimes also go to your neighborhood and ask around if people recognize you. My father-in-law once drove my 996 Carrera to France for a weekend and two weeks after he returned back with the car, I got a ticket in the mail, he didn't keep his distance to the car in front of him (video distance surveillance). The ticket involved taking my driver's license for a month, so I sent the authorities a declaration that I wasn't the driver and that my father-in-law was the driver but he would pay the fine. Guess what? They "invited" me to the local police station to confirm that it wasn't me on the video. My father-in-law is not German, so he got away with the fine, lucky him.

Now you know why many countries have front license plates. Smiley

If you ride a motorcycle over here, you can actually be very lucky. Even if they catch your license plate (which is unlikely, it is in the rear only), they have to prove that you were riding the motorcycle. Usually they do some sort of analysis to identify the rider but it is almost impossible to prove that you were riding, so... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Someone else with fewer/no points on his license can be "convinced" to declare that he was the driver of the speeding car, if the face is not shown on the police picture. The German way makes this almost impossible, unless you have a twin or find a lookalike.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

Someone else with fewer/no points on his license can be "convinced" to declare that he was the driver of the speeding car, if the face is not shown on the police picture. The German way makes this almost impossible, unless you have a twin or find a lookalike.

--

"Form follows function"

Yes, unfortunately. Smiley The only thing I worry about are the video surveillance traps on the Autobahn, they measure the distance to the car in front of you. Here's the problem: If you keep the legal distance, that guy in front of you will NEVER move to the right because he thinks he is fast and you cannot pass him. If you are too close, you get fined and I'm not talking about very close but let's say 20 to 30 meters close. At a speed of 200 kph, the legal minimum distance would be 100 meters. This may be justified by theoretical calculations (reaction time, braking time, etc.) but in real life driving, this is just way too much. The judges over here couldn't care less, they also do not take in consideration driving skills, superior braking power of high performance cars, etc. So if you are a murder and can prove that you had a difficult childhood, whatever, you get away with a milder punishment. If they catch you not keeping your distance, no mercy. Smiley

--

They should equally punish the motorist who obstructs, in this case. If the following car flashes, the preceding one should either accelerate sufficiently or give way. But I suppose this would have been complicated to determine by the police.

--

"Form follows function"

In the UK, they introduced 70 MPH speed limit in 1965 as a temporary measure following a spate of crashes in fog. This limit still remains however can you imagine comparing a DB5 to a current DBS???

It's all about revenue generation. UK HMG have now decided the archaic "Tax Disc" is to be phased out - (a piece of paper showing you've paid vehicle excise duty displayed on the windscreen) now that they've sold off the post office. (couldn't do this previously as they'd have had the problem of out-of-work post masters!) Rather than link back to usage (which would seem the easiest & most sensible thing to do by increasing tax on fuel) they're to continue the folly via some form of on-line system. 

The mind boggles!!!

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

almost all UK speed cameras take pics of the rear of the car ..

reginos:

They should equally punish the motorist who obstructs, in this case. If the following car flashes, the preceding one should either accelerate sufficiently or give way. But I suppose this would have been complicated to determine by the police.

Actually, they should but they don't. We have no general speed limit on the Autobahn but we have a speed recommendation (130 kph). Every speed over 130 kph is on your own risk and judges usually tend to give faster drivers a partial blame (usually 40-60%) if an accident occurs, even if they had absolutely nothing to do with the accident and were just caught up in it. This is also why the police doesn't really seem to care about people "blocking" the left lane, even if there is no general speed limit and a law to move to the right lane as soon as you finished the "passing" process.

Also flashing your lights to make someone move from the lane you're driving on can be considered duress and it is punishable by the law. One single "flash" is considered acceptable but everything more...well...good luck if the driver in front of you goes to the police, even worse if he has a witness.

I am also very careful with approaching slower cars on the left lane. In the past, I was going pretty fast and applied the brake in the last moment, to kind of scare off the driver in front of me, so he moves to the right lane sooner than later (I kept my distance though, never approached him too close). In the last couple of years, a few accidents happened when faster drivers approached slower cars and the drivers of these slower cars, women, got scared, lost control of their vehicles and crashed. Guess who was blamed? So now I am very careful when I approach slower cars because if I scare them off and they crash, I am held responsible. Great laws over here, right?! Smiley

--

In the UK, I find that flashing the car in front invariably means that they either take longer to move over, or simply do not move over.

Most effective is just to approach, leave a safe distance and wait.

But usually wait a long time Smiley

--

Gen II Cayman S

GR:

But usually wait a long time Smiley

I haven't found that .. ocassionally some twat will not move over. So I make a quick flash, which sometimes works. If not, I undertake!

wonder what time it did, is it a subtle way to say 'we didn't beat the 918', or are they building up suspense?

It's a pity we will never know how great the 918 truly is. Porsche had been quite open about the 6:57 is not the best the car can do, they took it 'easy'. 

From the Porsche's own video, the 918 was never out of shape, yes it was driven really hard but the limit hasn't been breached. The P1 video however already shown within the initial segment that they had breached the limit on the car in at least one turn. The rest of the video also showed that the car is really fast, one can safely assumed that they did made one lap under 7 mins, which was their target for the program. A very safe and educated guess can put that number between 6:57-6:59.

Porsche already stole their thunder on going under 7 minutes, so had they gone faster than the 918 there is no way they will not celebrate to get back the attention. 

While on paper there is no way the P1 isn't faster than the 918, it's lighter, has more downforce and HP, I suspect the rear steering system on the 918 contribute a lot more performance than Porsche is letting on in order for it to be the faster car. Or the 918 has more HP than the 887HP, or even the 918HP we all suspect it has.

--

Just found out Tire Rack has listings for the 918 Cup 2 tires already.

$554 each for the front and $735 for the rear, $2578 total for 4 corners. 

Seems quite reasonable.

--

RodoRS:

Do you have more of Silver car? Or some of James Lipman photoshoot of 918 in high res?

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688883 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408862 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255605 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234846 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65442 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857703 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773631 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM