Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 911 GT3 (991)

Super Darius:

the car will NOT be a car to bring at circuit on a trailer...

and what we are searching?

something special,or not?Smiley

Smiley

That's all I need to hear Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

KresoF1:

I also emailed my source about 991 GT3 RS gearbox and get pretty enigmatic answer:"... not the same gearbox is in 991 GT3. Definitely, something more track focused and more special..."

Hmm... He can not give me more info at this stage although car is basically ready for production according to what he wrote to me.

About using it as a daily driver he wrote:"...GT3 is not in any form a ture daily/all year usable sportscar but, normal GT3 is better hear by wide margin then forthcoming 991 GT3 RS. Personally, I would not use either as daily driver sportscar-we have something way better in portfolio for that kind of usage-991 Turbo S!"

Kreso , could you ask your source how would he compare the 991 RS with the 997 RS in terms of public road usage and ' challenge' to drive fast . Thanks Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Are we going to see a GT2 by end of 2014 ? or there are no plans for the 2 ?

BiTurbo:

Are we going to see a GT2 by end of 2014 ? or there are no plans for the 2 ?

I think I mentioned it before: As far as I heard, there will be a 991 GT2 RS but no GT2 (without the RS). Rumors indicate that the decision against a GT2 (without RS) has been made after some developing testing and the fact that the GT2 prototype wasn't really faster than the current 991 Turbo S. So the next step (GT2 RS only) was logical.

Again...rumor...I cannot 100% guarantee that there won't be a GT2, I'm not working for Porsche. Dealers usually get an advanced notice of certain products, so they know quite well what is coming.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Gnil:
    KresoF1:

I also emailed my source about 991 GT3 RS gearbox and get pretty enigmatic answer:"... not the same gearbox is in 991 GT3. Definitely, something more track focused and more special..."

Hmm... He can not give me more info at this stage although car is basically ready for production according to what he wrote to me.

About using it as a daily driver he wrote:"...GT3 is not in any form a ture daily/all year usable sportscar but, normal GT3 is better hear by wide margin then forthcoming 991 GT3 RS. Personally, I would not use either as daily driver sportscar-we have something way better in portfolio for that kind of usage-991 Turbo S!"

Kreso , could you ask your source how would he compare the 991 RS with the 997 RS in terms of public road usage and ' challenge' to drive fast . Thanks Smiley

Erik,

I asked that and he told me that 991 RS is a lot better then 997 RS(be it even 4.0) on the road and on the track.

Jst, he also said that new 991 GT3 RS will be more focused for track usage then 991 GT3 for example. He reccomended that costumers that intend to use their sportscar most of the time on public roads rather stick with 991 GT3. RS will be rawer and meaner to drive...

HI Guys,

Looks like no GT3 for me.

Been put on the cancellation list for the next 2 week, if there are no customer cancellations they will be sending my deposit back ( 10k, I put it down on August 21st 2013 ).. Its very probable that there will be no cancellations. I am absolutely gutted, been waiting many years for the moment of my first Porsche, as you guys know full well.

They offered me a RS slot, but I feel this maybe the wrong variant for what I will be using the car for, plus there is not a lot of info about it at the moment.

All the best to you guys that have one and are getting one..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

throt:

HI Guys,

Looks like no GT3 for me.

Been put on the cancellation list for the next 2 week, if there are no customer cancellations they will be sending my deposit back ( 10k, I put it down on August 21st 2013 ).. Its very probable that there will be no cancellations. I am absolutely gutted, been waiting many years for the moment of my first Porsche, as you guys know full well.

They offered me a RS slot, but I feel this maybe the wrong variant for what I will be using the car for, plus there is not a lot of info about it at the moment.

All the best to you guys that have one and are getting one..

Sorry to hear that - I've no doubt that some people will try and sell early cars at a premium, but presume you don't want to take that approach..?

I suggest you ask your dealer to roll your deposit onto the RS - that will be equally in demand ( if not more so, if the rumours are to be believed) and it is highly likely you'd be able to swap with someone looking to 'upgrade' their GT3 to a GT3 RS, and possibly make a few extra £ on the deal!!

I am not sure I understand. Did you have an allocation or were you waiting for one. Is the dealer saying he cannot get a GT3 for you? That would imply the entire production of the GT3 is sold out.

RC:

Group N national. Lancia Delta HF Integrale. AM Motorsport, mentor was Ronald Holzer (I guess this name tells you something). wink

As to driving in a GT3 on a public road: I know many GT3 owners (older version but I assume it applies to owners of the new version too) and not a single one actually stays within the limits imposed by traffic laws. This would actually render the GT3 useless for normal street driving. There are deserted country roads, some with a pretty good visibility due to the lack of trees or other obstructions. Then, there are those (illegal) events where owners meet and have a blast on public roads, with a "tracking" car driving in front of them to alert them of road conditions. Well... Smiley

I'm not naive, I know that many GT3 and GT3 RS owners drive their car past the legal limits on public roads, this is why I think that the GT3 RS may not be right car for that purpose. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Holzer Integrale Smiley You know when the age of "digital" sportscars really started...

If somebody prefers public roads over race-track and does not want to stay in the speed-limits, then, at least in Europe, they should do Hillclimbing or Rallying. 

Hi Nick, 

I had put down my first deposit on August 21st and was waiting for the 2nd call to finalise my spec which would have put me at the stage of a definite allocation. However, Sunday I phoned my dealership to find out how the allocations were going having heard that the GT3 had been deposited very heavily by potential buyers. Today I found out that I was one of the unlucky ones without a allocation and that they have put me on the cancellation list, to which I am next in line if a cancellation occurs, which in all probability won't happen. When I put the deposit down I was told I would be looking at (around) a May delivery, so still sounds all a bit strange to me. Gutted to say the least but what can I do.

All the best...

--

throt

"I couldn't do it"

It will be interesting to see how the Porsche 991 GT3 RS takes inspiration from the 2014 Porsche 911 RSR...

...after all, the 991 GT3 RS will provide official homologation for Porsche Motorsport's 2014 Le Mans GT racer!

Smiley SmileySmiley

@Nick

I saw the GT3 at the LA Autoshow, it looked fantastic and I hope the wait for such an epic car is not killing you :)

What colour did you spec-ed? The rhodium silver car is just drop dead sexy.  And it's quite well known that I pretty much hates all shades of silver/grey yet I really love that colour on the GT3. 

--

Yesterday I was able to see my friend and his new 991 GT3.

What a car !
    And the sound angel !
    Only 3000rpm because the car is only 750km and when you know that you can bring it to 9000rpm ... It's crazy !

[quote="joHey"]

Autobahn-catch   -   991 GT3s on their way to the new owners kiss

Photo by Jörg Thierer fom 964 RS Database:

2013-11-JörgThierer991.jpg

KresoF1:

Erik,

I asked that and he told me that 991 RS is a lot better then 997 RS(be it even 4.0) on the road and on the track.

Jst, he also said that new 991 GT3 RS will be more focused for track usage then 991 GT3 for example. He reccomended that costumers that intend to use their sportscar most of the time on public roads rather stick with 991 GT3. RS will be rawer and meaner to drive...

Thanks Kreso . These are very good news Smiley

The 997 GT3 RS was also more track focused then the 997 GT3 , so if the 991 GT3 RS is better on the roads ( and of course on the track ) then the 997 GT3 RS then it could be the right car for me ! 

I understand that the GT3 is better if the car is used regularly on public road .

I am looking for more rawness ….. I need that ….  My current car is no challenge , at all .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

throt:

Hi Nick, 

I had put down my first deposit on August 21st and was waiting for the 2nd call to finalise my spec which would have put me at the stage of a definite allocation. However, Sunday I phoned my dealership to find out how the allocations were going having heard that the GT3 had been deposited very heavily by potential buyers. Today I found out that I was one of the unlucky ones without a allocation and that they have put me on the cancellation list, to which I am next in line if a cancellation occurs, which in all probability won't happen. When I put the deposit down I was told I would be looking at (around) a May delivery, so still sounds all a bit strange to me. Gutted to say the least but what can I do.

All the best...

I am sorry to hear this bad news . It sounds to me that your dealer did give your allocation to another customer that must of been more insisting then you . I would get back to him and push him hard to find a solution Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Hello Bjoern,

Of course I'm running it in, wait til the oil is up to temp, changing driving conditions, no short routes, no long autobahn stretches. But I'm revving it over the whole rev band (like we do with new race engines, gets the rings seated) there's absolutely no point in keeping the revs low (same as told from Porsche) and I can tell you it's incredible at 9000!!Smiley

RC:
    TomTomGTA:

Honestly guys, I've driven quite a few fast cars and am racing in historics. From the little (+/-150km) I've driven the 991 GT3 I really have to say the car has a perfect balance between useability and rawness. It's a real pussycat in auto with standard damper settings (much more resolved and refined than my GTR), the PDK in auto (not sport) shifts like a real Auto 'box. BUT if you go manual and give it the beans it is a REAL drivers car, it is tricky to drive it fast, very rewarding.

I didn't imagine it would be as involving as it is, if you push you need to stay VERY concentrated otherwise it might catch you out. Feels more like a 964 RS than a modern car. It's very involving. I know it sounds cheesy but Preuninger hit it on the head when he talked about emotional, it is! It is not really going to make it easier for track newbies than previous generations of the GT3, you STILL have to know how to drive fast!

To be honest with you I really do not like Porsche's and always swore I'd never buy one but I don't regret buying this car a single second, it is exactly what I was looking for.

To sum up I would say, if you want a fast or the fastest thing, which is going to let driver errors pass and make you feel like a driving god, buy a McLaren or an Italia or best a GTR. If you feel you are a good driver and really are the GT3 will make you feel like the Zeus of all driving gods (and look good doing soSmiley)

Welcome to the "Club". Smiley

I'm glad you like your GT3. I think it is a perfect compromise between a raw sports car and a street car and the price tag is quite attractive too if you compare it to other cars. For me however, the GT3 (as the only weekend fun car) would be the wrong product. I drive my car in winter too, also when it rains. I often move my family, incl. two kids, in the car. The GT3 would be my "second" choice when it comes to a weekend fun car but only if I could afford to own both, the GT3 and my current 991 Turbo S.

Regarding good and bad drivers: I was a rally pro and I never met someone to outrun me (in a similar car), street or track but I have much more confidence in driving a 991 Turbo S instead of a GT3 because, like you said, you never know and everyone makes a driving error at some point. On the track, driving errors aren't that critical (well, depends...) but on a public road, there is not much of an error margin left I'm afraid. For someone who uses his car for mostly street driving, I think that the GT3 is more than enough to provide the driving fun someone seeks, without putting him too much in danger. The GT3 RS however will be a different beast I'm afraid and potential owners need to be aware of it. It is no fun to drive a car which is constantly challenging the driver on public roads. It gets tiresome fast because you really need to pay attention all the time and not everyone is ready to do that, especially with a weekend fun car.

I remember when many 996 Turbo owners criticized the car for not being involving enough, for being too neutral and many of these owners switched to the 996 GT2 when it came out. I also remember how many GT2 were crashed after that and how many 996 Turbo owners regretted the switch. Smiley

There are many good drivers out there but the best drivers are those who know their limits and also what car suits them best. This isn't always obvious and a wrong buying choice can become very costly fast.

--

hi TomTomGTA,

can you be detail a bit why you feel the GT3 is not very forgiving at the limit? this would correspond to the SPORTAUTO supertest. is it that the electronics cut in late? suspension setup that does not give sufficient warnings before things go wrong? weird understeer/oversteer transitions? also direct comparisms with the maclaren and the 458 would be highly appreciated.

I also asked my contact at PAG about the running in. He said at the factory all the internal cars they just get in and drive. He suggested not to stay at high rpm for long duration for first 500-750km and to try and vary rpm not sit at same rpm but other than that he just said get in it and drive it and thats exactly what I will do in one weeks time!

P.S. Its surely not possible to drive at 3000 or under rpm for the first 750km!

Gnil:
    KresoF1:

Erik,

Thanks Kreso . These are very good news Smiley

The 997 GT3 RS was also more track focused then the 997 GT3 , so if the 991 GT3 RS is better on the roads ( and of course on the track ) then the 997 GT3 RS then it could be the right car for me

I understand that the GT3 is better if the car is used regularly on public road .

I am looking for more rawness ….. I need that ….  My current car is no challenge , at all .

Come over and try mine indecision  the rawness and "simply being different to drive to any other 911" is why I have em... - put's a smile in yr face everytime you "work" the car.

Gnil:
    throt:

Hi Nick, 

All the best...

I am sorry to hear this bad news . It sounds to me that your dealer did give your allocation to another customer that must of been more insisting then you . I would get back to him and push him hard to find a solution Smiley

try another dealer?

TomTomGTA:

Got mine yesterday!

Absolutely wonderful car! It's getting it's winter tires on saturday and then off to running it in!

1385636250180GT3.jpg

One pic?? C'mon... Smiley

--

throt:

Hi Nick, 

All the best...

This just doesn't sound right, so sorry about that. Maybe your dealer thought you're not really serious about getting a car? Weird. Have you talked to the manager?

--

It's must be the hair - call them racist and get yr allocation back  sad

RC:
    throt:

Hi Nick, 

All the best...

This just doesn't sound right, so sorry about that. Maybe your dealer thought you're not really serious about getting a car? Weird. Have you talked to the manager?

Thanks RC & Gnil,

As I stated, they had my first deposit and I was waiting for the phone call to spec it, which they told me would happen around December time for a April / May delivery.

Yes, I am a very laid back character but I was very serious about the purchase and because of being laid back and not pushy the Mrs is going to get on the phone to them because they were so definite about me getting a GT3 when they took my 10k deposit. When I spoke yesterday to them I did state that I know of a guy that deposited the same day as me and that he has an allocation. Doesn't sound right..

I keep you guys posted.

Thanks..

--

throt

"I couldn't do it"

Hello Andy,

Well it's absolutely not tricky at the limit, the car telegraphs it's intentions very early on so you can catch it fairly easily. It's more the fact that in the conditions I drove (Michelin Sport cups, 7-8°C) I found the limit rather low compared to other cars which tend to push the envelope as far as it goes and when it comes it's difficult to catch. In that sense the GT3 is more tricky because it will be more nervous, so like I said you can't let your concentration down. But I like that I feels more "real" less artificial. And it seems it's easier to hooligan the car at lower speeds.

Concerning the electronics, well they do cut in very late even in normal mode, the car will allow the back end to step out a good metre before intervening so even in normal mode it's nothing for beginners but it allows you to play without spoiling the party too early. But you have to be aware of it.

Comparing to the 458, well it's a bit the same thing actually, with far less drama than the italian. But both can have the surgical precision ideal line carver feeling as well as being able to "Ken Block" I would say the GT3 has a tighter, more "neat" feel to it.

Like I said before I find it feels more like a pre 993 911. Overengineered but still giving you that racecar chattiness.

I've only driven de McLaren for a short time on track and found it totally uninvolving, very efficient (I doubt there's a lot of faster cars you can buy) but no fun, no nasty tricks. It only feels overengineered.

To sum up the GT3 has a nice "analogue" feel to it you don't really feel what everything is doing in the background, the Gearbox is the best of those I've driven yet (ferrari is smoother in full auto), when you're pushing it feels like a race sequential would and the car pops and bangs, it's quite impressive and bagloads of fun!

I'll keep you posted how it is with adapted tires. 

thanks TomTomGTA and congrats to the car. well, a difference to the 458 seems to be that the latter has the WET mode manettino position where the electronics interfere very early. according to my experience the 458 allows you a meter or so of rear rear slip in the RACE position (or all helpers OFF), but not in SPORT and certainly not in WET. in this sense the GT3 seems more hardline than the 458 (please correct me if i am wrong). i agree on the mclaren, i found it un-involving as well, almost like the turbo S (not quite on that level but still not interesting enough). looking forward to further reports from you.

Boxster Coupe GTS:

It will be interesting to see how the Porsche 991 GT3 RS takes inspiration from the 2014 Porsche 911 RSR...

...after all, the 991 GT3 RS will provide official homologation for Porsche Motorsport's 2014 Le Mans GT racer!

Smiley SmileySmiley

The rear wing will be pretty much the same Smiley

throt:
    RC:
    throt:

Hi Nick, 

All the best...

Thanks RC & Gnil,

As I stated, they had my first deposit and I was waiting for the phone call to spec it, which they told me would happen around December time for a April / May delivery.

Yes, I am a very laid back character but I was very serious about the purchase and because of being laid back and not pushy the Mrs is going to get on the phone to them because they were so definite about me getting a GT3 when they took my 10k deposit. When I spoke yesterday to them I did state that I know of a guy that deposited the same day as me and that he has an allocation. Doesn't sound right..

I keep you guys posted.

Thanks..

Phone call made and shall have to see what happens in the next 2 week.

Do hope I end up with one so fingers crossed..

--

throt

"I couldn't do it"

macca993:

I also asked my contact at PAG about the running in. He said at the factory all the internal cars they just get in and drive. He suggested not to stay at high rpm for long duration for first 500-750km and to try and vary rpm not sit at same rpm but other than that he just said get in it and drive it and thats exactly what I will do in one weeks time!

P.S. Its surely not possible to drive at 3000 or under rpm for the first 750km!

My friend only made some "revs" when I was with him that's why he doesn't reach 3000rpm.
    It was to late for a drive and he prefers to wait after the running in to take passengers.

:)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM