Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Prices Macan

rulesdontapply:

Just came back from the dealer. If I place my order within the week, I'll get a spot in the first Macan allocation for the Kuwaiti market with a May delivery date.

I specced a Macan Turbo in rhodium silver metallic with a two-tone interior in black/garnet red with everything from Burmester and heated/cooled 18-way seats to carbon fiber side blades/interior trims and stainless steel front/rear skid plates. Opted for the 20" Spyder Design wheels; the 21s are LUSCIOUS but I know that one pothole on Kuwait's sh***y roads is all it'll take to separate me from a few thousand dollars. Besides, I love the design of these wheels; they're a modernized version of the ones on my Cayenne so they'll serve as a nice reminder once the Cayenne is sold.

The issue, however, is the price. The Macan Turbo is considerably more expensive than I anticipated with a base price of 28100 KWD [approx. 73290 EUR/99400 USD], putting it above the base price of a Cayenne GTS. With my options added on, I pulled the car up to a whopping 33960 KWD [approx. 88600 EUR/120000 USD]. For a country with no taxes, this is an almost absurd price for the segment. Another customer was speccing his Turbo order and complained of exactly the same thing; he too expected a lower price point for the segment and wasn't happy about looking at a compact SUV costing 120000 USD. The way the pricing structure is set, the base Boxster and Cayman models will remain the cheapest Porsches in Kuwait even when the base Macan shows up.

At this point, it looks like Porsche might be getting greedy.

rulesdontapply

In Germany, the Macan Turbo costs 80k, the Cayenne GTS costs 92k. So the Cayenne GTS is 12k EUR more expensive. It sounds weird that the Macan Turbo and the Cayenne GTS would cost the same money in Kuweit. Maybe your dealer made a mistake?! In the US for example, the Macan Turbo is 11k USD cheaper than the Cayenne GTS.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:
    rulesdontapply:

Just came back from the dealer. If I place my order within the week, I'll get a spot in the first Macan allocation for the Kuwaiti market with a May delivery date.

I specced a Macan Turbo in rhodium silver metallic with a two-tone interior in black/garnet red with everything from Burmester and heated/cooled 18-way seats to carbon fiber side blades/interior trims and stainless steel front/rear skid plates. Opted for the 20" Spyder Design wheels; the 21s are LUSCIOUS but I know that one pothole on Kuwait's sh***y roads is all it'll take to separate me from a few thousand dollars. Besides, I love the design of these wheels; they're a modernized version of the ones on my Cayenne so they'll serve as a nice reminder once the Cayenne is sold.

The issue, however, is the price. The Macan Turbo is considerably more expensive than I anticipated with a base price of 28100 KWD [approx. 73290 EUR/99400 USD], putting it above the base price of a Cayenne GTS. With my options added on, I pulled the car up to a whopping 33960 KWD [approx. 88600 EUR/120000 USD]. For a country with no taxes, this is an almost absurd price for the segment. Another customer was speccing his Turbo order and complained of exactly the same thing; he too expected a lower price point for the segment and wasn't happy about looking at a compact SUV costing 120000 USD. The way the pricing structure is set, the base Boxster and Cayman models will remain the cheapest Porsches in Kuwait even when the base Macan shows up.

At this point, it looks like Porsche might be getting greedy.

rulesdontapply

In Germany, the Macan Turbo costs 80k, the Cayenne GTS costs 92k. So the Cayenne GTS is 12k EUR more expensive. It sounds weird that the Macan Turbo and the Cayenne GTS would cost the same money in Kuweit. Maybe your dealer made a mistake?! In the US for example, the Macan Turbo is 11k USD cheaper than the Cayenne GTS.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

No mistake, RC: the Cayenne GTS has a starting price of 27700 KWD and the Macan Turbo starts at 28100 KWD. The MTT is cheaper than the CGTS in just about every other market but I think Porsche Middle East has a different plan for us. Either that or this could be classic price gouging from our local dealer, something they're very famous for. mail

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S

If Macan T is more expensive than Cayenne GTS, the GTS everytime!

GTS has the lovely V8!

sfo:

GTS has the lovely V8!

Exactly; there's no replacement for displacement. Smiley Either that or you could pick up a certified Cayenne Turbo for the same money... or maybe even haggle for a bit less.

Whatever the case, I think they have their pricing wrongly positioned and I'm not comfortable/happy with it. Looks like I'll wait it out for a Macan GTS or keep the Cayenne for longer.

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S

sfo:

GTS has the lovely V8!

I would gladly take a Macan GTS with the Cayenne GTS 420 hp V8 engine and pay more for it. Smiley Unfortunately...

The Macan Turbo sounds a little bit like my former BMW X5M. Not really great. However, performance is much better and I realized that I prefer power (and torque) to sound. Especially on the Autobahn, the Cayenne GTS isn't really a highlight but the sound is divine, something I am going to miss on the Macan Turbo.

--

Over 70 Macan have already been ordered in Switzerland….. and it has just started . They will not be able to keep up with demand for the next year . ( I just remind you that the population here is 8 million )

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

My dealer had 54 deposits by close of business on Friday no  Judging by comments on other forums they are not alone in that regard here. The dealer in Glasgow for instance had 35 deposits as at 12pm today. This car is going to be a runaway success for Porsche.

I sat for 45 min at my dealer's desk. During that time he got 2 phones calls to make an appointment to order a Macan .

A huge success it will be !!

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Same ordering frenzy at my dealer, but with two interesting points.  First, almost all orders have been placed by men (though my dealer will be inquiring who the end user will be).  Second, most orders are for the Macan S, not the Turbo.

When I expressed surprise at the second point, my dealer said the Macan S prevalence is consistent with the fact that most Cayenne sales are the standard V6 Cayennes.

Well the Macan S looks better than the Turbo and it's still a very quick SUV. I'm a bit worried about the 4-cylinders. If the streets are "flooded" with 4-cylinders and 18" wheels the Macan will not be so cool anymore... 

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

993Targa:

Well the Macan S looks better than the Turbo and it's still a very quick SUV. I'm a bit worried about the 4-cylinders. If the streets are "flooded" with 4-cylinders and 18" wheels the Macan will not be so cool anymore... 

Same worries here. I can see tons of Audi Q5 over here, all of them not necessarily with the standard engines and well equipped. I am pretty sure that this would be the same customer group which will sooner or later get a Macan just to differentiate themselves a little bit from the general mini SUV crowd.

In Germany however, I think that the Diesel will be the bestseller. People buying such cars over here aren't too fond of petrol engines, they want Diesels. 

--

As I just test drive various Diesels and Petrol based cars I always come back to the Diesel, too. Why - simply as a 250 HP car has around 600NM torque. Even the petrol based car around 300-330 HP I was driving are feeling like a slow duck compared to those Diesels.

Yesterday/today I'm driving a Cayenne Diesel and a Cayenne S petrol - same here, beside the V8 sound I would always prefer the Diesel. Its just on the Highway if you want to drive high speeds where the petrol can add more (and as we all now it needs some Revs until the HP is deliverd, while torque is already there on low revs). City and country road the Diesel is so much more fun because of its torque. Further on with the Diesel I can drive up to 1000km without driving to the next petrol station while with the petrol I have to to this every 500-700 km (and I'm just so bored of petrol stations, especially as you always have to walk inside in Germany and queue up - by far not that convenient as in the US!.

Further on - many people buy the Diesel as it is a bit less expensive - which doesn't count for me. As a car in this class will cost you all in around 60000€ in three years it might be 5-10% more going for the petrol - not a huge difference IMO.

I'm not at all against Diesel cars but I would get one with lots of (Diesel) power. A Macan with a 350 hp Diesel engine would sell like crazy. My wife's X3 35d is not much fun...with the exception of the engine. So much power and torque and in the city, this car is amazing. On the Autobahn however, in the upper 180 kph and over range, the Diesel is annoying.

--

Th rear leg room looks lilliputian!  Can people over 5 feet tall fit in this mini thing?

RC:

I'm not at all against Diesel cars but I would get one with lots of (Diesel) power. A Macan with a 350 hp Diesel engine would sell like crazy. My wife's X3 35d is not much fun...with the exception of the engine. So much power and torque and in the city, this car is amazing. On the Autobahn however, in the upper 180 kph and over range, the Diesel is annoying.

Thats what I'm talking... for daily life in the city the Diesels are great. If you go Highway for speeding nothing much happens on higher speeds. My 750d is quit fast, though. Anyway - it's not the engine you like to hear Rev'in high.

Entry level Porsche = used Porsche

watt:

Th rear leg room looks lilliputian!  Can people over 5 feet tall fit in this mini thing?

It is fine for people 5ft, maybe not over 6ft 5 inches, but for normal people it is fine.

--
    Porsche owner since 1975.

I've sat in the Macan on the L.A. Auto show last week and the space in the back is compareable with the Q5. Only headroom is slightly less, but not as dramatic as some people think it is.  In the front, there's also the same space as in the Q5, but it feels more cramp because the way the cockpit is designed (higher center console, more sportscar-like).

Overall it's a nice car, but not as nice as I had hoped it would be. Besides that, Porsche should have offered all options from the start and I'm disappointed that they don't offer a more powerful diesel engine, like in the SQ5.  

It could have been the perfect vehicle for me... But it isn't.....

--

Suzy

SuzyF:
    Overall it's a nice car, but not as nice as I had hoped it would be.

In what way if I may ask?

Does anyone know if PDCC will be available at a later point for the Macan Turbo?

FlatSix911:
    SuzyF:
    Overall it's a nice car, but not as nice as I had hoped it would be.

In what way if I may ask?

Does anyone know if PDCC will be available at a later point for the Macan Turbo?

I was a bit underwhelmed by the looks (mayby too much expectations) and the fact that Porsche doesn't have all options available, like PDCC as you mention, but also all the leather oprions, very few colors...

i don't know exactly why, but all together it's a bit of a disappointent for me. I would rather buy a Q5/SQ5 again and save some money. The Macan will be a much better driver's car, but it still is a SUV and SUVs are not meant to be driver's cars IMO. I don't need more driver's car than a SQ5. For spirited drives, I will use a different car.

The only thing I like more than in the Audi is the interior design. That looks really awesome in the Macan.  But here again is an interior in the showcar, that isn't available untill 10/2014, just like the Sapphire blue exterior of the Macan S on the show. 

--

Suzy

Thank you for your thoughts.

So will the PDCC be available at some point? Or will it be kept exclusive to the Cayenne?

I have not seen the car yet, but I find the Macan Turbo a very compelling package all considered.

FlatSix911:

Thank you for your thoughts.

So will the PDCC be available at some point? Or will it be kept exclusive to the Cayenne?

I have not seen the car yet, but I find the Macan Turbo a very compelling package all considered.

It is actually a huge surprise for me that PDCC is not available. I also have no information that it is going to be available.

Only PCCB seems to be a sure thing and rumors indicate a lower price tag for PCCB on the Macan (in the 5-6k range).

Yes, the Macan is a compelling package, especially compared to the more expensive Cayenne but I just wish the Turbo S would be already available (rumored 430 hp). I would also love to see a special edition model, like a Macan GTS with a V8 engine and let's say 400 hp. Would the current Cayenne GTS V8 fit the Macan? I don't have a clue but maybe they should try. Smiley

--

SuzyF:
     I would rather buy a Q5/SQ5 again and save some money. The Macan will be a much better driver's car, but it still is a SUV and SUVs are not meant to be driver's cars IMO. I don't need more driver's car than a SQ5. For spirited drives, I will use a different car.

Exactly my thoughts. For driving pleasure there are other more dedicated classes of automobile. In a SUV I want comfort and economy and anyway all cars achieve more than acceptable pace nowadays given the law and the traffic.

If I didn't have a sportscar, would I buy a Macan? I think NO, as by definition in such a case I wouldn't be interested in the extra sportiness of the Macan over other similar SUVs.

--

"Form follows function"

Whenever I decide to get a SUV, it is based on how good is serves my family (luggage, interior room, comfort) and me (fun, safety). The Macan would be a good (and cheaper) replacement for our current Cayenne GTS. I love the Cayenne GTS but I miss a little bit of a punch on the Autobahn. My wife owns a BMW X3 35d and I thought it is a good car for her (and me, if I have to drive it from time to time). What a mistake. Such a boring car, same goes to the Audi SQ5. These cars are just no fun, something is missing, something to make the car more enjoyable. This is where the Macan comes in. As a business car, if the family wouldn't really matter, I would probably choose the Mercedes A45 AMG (the version without that huge wing). Just last Saturday, I saw a grey met. A45 and it looked almost like an ordinary A-class Mercedes. Considering the punch it carries and how much fun it can be to drive such a powerful engine in such a small package, I think this car is just perfect as a daily driver if you don't need the extra room of a Macan or Cayenne.

--

Hmm... Did you drove A45? If so, I do not agree that it is a fun car to drive. If not, do so. It is IMHO for various reasons not any better then VW Golf GTI with 230ps. I dorve A45 with optional sport suspension and it was PITA on average roads and city streets(in comfort). For example 991 Turbo S rides way better. Gearbox in A45 do not know what to do sometimes-in auto mode hit the throttle full driving 60km/h for example and you will see some interesting behaviour... For A45 lacks for me is composure, it feels like not very balanced car-at least it is my impression.

KresoF1:

Hmm... Did you drove A45? If so, I do not agree that it is a fun car to drive. If not, do so. It is IMHO for various reasons not any better then VW Golf GTI with 230ps. I dorve A45 with optional sport suspension and it was PITA on average roads and city streets(in comfort). For example 991 Turbo S rides way better. Gearbox in A45 do not know what to do sometimes-in auto mode hit the throttle full driving 60km/h for example and you will see some interesting behaviour... For A45 lacks for me is composure, it feels like not very balanced car-at least it is my impression.

Yes, the A45 isn't perfectly balanced and may lack some comfort but it actually feels a little bit like my former Lancia Delta HF Integrale and this is why I like it. It has a punch, it sounds nice (with the sport exhaust) and the steering feels direct. No traction issues either, so really fun to drive as a daily driver. I had one for a whole day, drove 200 km in it and really liked it. I didn't love it though, this is why I never got one. A used one for let's say 40k EUR with only 10k km would  be interesting though, unfortunately the prices aren't that down yet.

--

I also dislike the A45.  It is very much a point and shoot car.  Doesn't do anything for me.  I was thinking of replacing our M135i city car with a A45, but after driving it, I am keeping the M135i.  It is so much nicer to be able to slip the rear now and then when I wish to especially in the wet.  The adaptive suspension on my BMW also is much more suitable for city driving than the A45 which comes standard with the sports suspension in Australia.

Anyway back to Macan.  I am about to order one tomorrow, most likely Macan S instead of Turbo but final decision will be made when I am at Porsche Centre comparing the price of the two with the spec I want.  I have a question about the air suspension.  I read somewhere that you can lower it by 15mm from normal ride height.  Is that to enhance the dynamic nature of the car, or is that limited to certain speed only and more for loading purposes?  If it is the latter then I won't bother.  If it is the former then I will spec it.  Thanks!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM