Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

does anyone have an SLS?

Used SLS coupe prices are now in the late 80s and early 90s (£) in the UK .. they were about £175k with options when new .. some were heavily discounted in mid 2012 (around £40k).

I can't stop looking at used SLSs .. they are no so very tempting.

I drove one for about 20 miles about 18 months ago, and decided I wanted one. Would be a perfect compliment to my 7.2 GT3.

now seems like a good time, as I think values will stabilise soon, as production ends once the 350 Final Editions are built. 

grateful for views, suggestions and also insights on living with an SLS.

Re: does anyone have an SLS?

The SLS is an amazing (and yes, tempting) car. I was thinking the same a while ago but since my wife wants a Cab, only the roaster would really make sense. Unfortunately used SLS are quite expensive in Germany, I haven't found a "good" Coupe below 140k EUR and a "good" Roadster below 160k EUR, this is way too much for my pockets. yes It seems that the prices have gone up since Mercedes announced to stop SLS production at some point.

My dealer had a Coupe with very low mileage (5000 km), only 14 months old, for 120k EUR last year. It was a dealership car. Never have seen such a good offer again.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

I don't think they will stabilize. They are cheap in the US too, and I think will get even cheaper.

Unlike the SLR, the SLS just looks too much like any other Mercedes, especially a roadster without fancy doors. I think there is a lot of room left to fall for these. Just my opinion though.

noone1:

I don't think they will stabilize. They are cheap in the US too, and I think will get even cheaper.

Unlike the SLR, the SLS just looks too much like any other Mercedes, especially a roadster without fancy doors. I think there is a lot of room left to fall for these. Just my opinion though.

I really like the SLS, especially the Roadster (see photo, this would be exactly "my" car) but prices are still high over here.

ibKbsfkHWp850ezF3gSsEFea5VFJ3M64AiK3vv6mKFkXBcXsaRDjL3NvtHw009u1seYeDqLhMkQE3N7DUVVCiEOePfrV_DZpErh1Uq2ix2hk.P00.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Prices will rise after production stops, sometime next year I think.

With the downsizing trend, the SLS will prove a defining car of a bygone era.

--

"Form follows function"

Furthermore, I think that the SLS, despite it's quite high production number, will become a classic. The design is timeless, especially the Roadster looks amazing but the Coupe with the special doors will be popular too. Not sure about keeping it's value but I doubt it is going to sink much further.

--

for me, the SLS coupe is the one to have .. you can't have an SLS without the gullwing doors

I also like that SLS is the last of the indulgent, non-turbo, no fancy drive aids such as 4WS etc etc, well made German cars.

Plus it sounds sensational, and clears the outside lane on motorways like nothing else.

UK prices are stabilising .. a year ago, they were only about £5k to £10k more.

one of the folks in my apartment block has an SLS Roadster, diamond white, red roof, red interior, black 10spoke forged wheels. I drive past it each time I go out in my car, so I am constantly titilated!

I like this car:  http://used.mercedes-benz.co.uk/used/2011/mercedes-benz/sls-amg/2011-mercedes-benz-sls-amg-milton-keynes-for-sale-ct60yxv

SLS looks like no other Mercedes .. it's not over decorated with all kinds of superfluous lines, and its super long and wide squarish bonnet with the stubby rear is reminiscent of no other Mercedes or any other car.

I love it, and always have.

i too think that the sls has to be in coupe guise not as a Roadster. the doors imo are 60-70% of what the car stands for.

i am glad that i got mine and think it is a keeper. the engine is out of this world in Terms of Sound and power delivery.

it is also a very comfortable car that works brilliantly as a daily Driver while having that supercar look.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

noone1:

Ask your wife or girlfriend what she thinks about the SLR when seeing one on the road and she will answer you," the new SLK is looking good" Smiley really, the SLR is a joke design wise, the SLS is so much more beautiful, It has a timeless desing that will keep it´s lines classy and sport for many years to come, it looks uinique and no near comparable with any other Mercedes nowadays. The engine sound and atmo V8 will become more and more desirable in the future as downsizing is affecting most of XXI century sports car,  I think SLS to be a real keeper.

J.Seven

yes,sexy,the BS is super tempting and will probably hold its value better due to the limited number produced - 60 but then, for that coin you can get the F12....

Maybe the SLS roadster will end up keeping its value like BMW Z8s do.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/bmw/z8

those who have an SLS, how long have you had it?

will you sell it? when? why?

those who had an SLS, why did you sell, and how long did you have it for?

SLR for me is too fussy, and looks a bit like a R230 on steroids with a bad facelift.

The SLS BS is a disaster for me .. the beauty of the clean SLS design is ruined by the bits tacked on, much like cheap jewellery on an elegant lady

i received mine in 2011 and as i hardly drive it because of the current political climate here, i had thought about selling it and getting a g63 instead. now that there is info that there will not be a direct successor, i decided to Keep it.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

The SLS is a keeper - still thinking about getting one. I'm sure this car is really really cool in 20 or 30 years from now and for sure many more times the value as today! Also - this is a car you might pass on to your kids. One of the last big blocks available - they will not come anymore - never (RIP).

Lars997:

The SLS is a keeper - still thinking about getting one. I'm sure this car is really really cool in 20 or 30 years from now and for sure many more times the value as today! Also - this is a car you might pass on to your kids. One of the last big blocks available - they will not come anymore - never (RIP).

Smiley Even now, my son gives me a hard time because I sold our C63 AMG Coupe. He loved the engine/exhaust sound and bitches...ehmm...talks all the time about it. Smiley

The SLS is a keeper but at current prices, I don't know. Maybe we should wait for the SLC or whatever the name will be to show up, some SLS owners may switch to the smaller car and SLS used car prices may drop for a while. Hopefully.

--

The SLS is since a year stable at around 120t€ for cars with up to 20.000km - not a huge drop there (talking about Gullwings, Convertible seem to be more stable).

The SLC will be a different car and league. Might be in the same performance range but its a car with various price tags and power range (comparable to 911). Not sure if you have the same buyers there.... of course, there will be a super car for above 200k€, too.

Lars997:

The SLS is since a year stable

the same in the UK ..

Lars997:

The SLS is a keeper - still thinking about getting one. I'm sure this car is really really cool in 20 or 30 years

it's cool now, and will always be cool ... looks like nothing else on the road, but is not too shouty or look at me.

sfo:

but is not too shouty or look at me.

That´s one of the reason to be a keeper, it´s timeless design is not overdone, just simple in a very beautiful way. The BS ruined the balance, it just looks cheap.

J.Seven

J.Seven:

The BS ruined the balance, it just looks cheap.

J.Seven

SLS BS is a disaster, looks wise. It's as if a teenager was asked to make it look different for the sake of being different.

The SLS is indeed timeless and the engine/exhaust sounds amazing. I wouldn't get the Coupe though (yes, the doors are an eye-catcher) but the Roadster because it would add nicely to my 991 Turbo S. Still...130k is a lot of dough for a second hand car, not really sure about it. I would probably prefer the Jaguar F-Type V8S Roadster instead (worse performance but the sound is great and used cars should go for something close to 80k EUR next year).

I also have another itch: The Mustang GT 500 Shelby. There is a rumor that 2014, no more Shelby Mustangs will be built. I really love this car, especially the price/performance ratio but also the whole muscle (pony) car thingie.

65k EUR for a brandnew Mustang GT 500 Shelby...not bad. Cab would be 5k EUR more. Still thinking...this one would be a keeper (fun car).

--

but can you put up with the rubbish interior materials and the build quality?

does the Shelby handle?

Isn't it built on an ancient chassis?

You can't turn mutton in to lamb by decorating it ..

sfo:

but can you put up with the rubbish interior materials and the build quality?

does the Shelby handle?

Isn't it built on an ancient chassis?

You can't turn mutton in to lamb by decorating it ..

The Shelby would be just a cheap muscle car toy, nothing fancy but something I wouldn't care driving the hell out of it. Smiley If I get one, I would keep it forever. The SLS is very tempting though but I'm not sure if my wife could handle the size of the car (she would surely drive it very often if I get a Roadster).

Well...just the typical car buying fantasies...in the end, I think I am going to pass because we are still talking serious money here. Smiley

--

I'm checking out the SLS which I listed above this Sat.

If it looks good and is in great condition, and if they are desperate to sell, who knows what will happen ...

Nice. I'm sure there were a couple which went through BCA blackbushe recently. WeBuyAnyCar.com offer £74K trade so not sure how much room they'll have!

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

bridggar:

Nice. I'm sure there were a couple which went through BCA blackbushe recently. WeBuyAnyCar.com offer £74K trade so not sure how much room they'll have!

do you happen to know how much the BCA cars sold for?

WBAC figure is helpful, and slightly terrifying!

Sorry, no. (although I do know two 2012 MP4-12C sold recently  - one went for £126K & the other for £127K) (+buyers premium - I'm lead to believe this was negotiated though)

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

I just sold mine.  Was a 2011 SLS coupe.  Beautiful in silver with a red interior.  SLS works in almost any color.  Was sad for about 2 days but I barely ever used it, and am over the car now.  

In terms of looks I considered the SLS stunning.  That seems controversial on this site but I thought they did a great job on the styling.  The car really was a styling exercise at the end of the day.  Between the doors, an insanely long hood that has almost 2" of open space between the engine and the radiator , and the impractical elements of the car, it is hard not to see it for a form over function car.  

the drivability is where Mercedes AMG fell very short.  The car does not drive well around town.  At all.  As a highway cruiser it works but where exactly are you cruising to in one of these? The SLS has to be the widest 2 seater ever.   It is part of the styling package. Unfortunately this too limits the drivability of the car.  You just don't fit in normal places. 

The engine note is absolutely awesome.  Best sounding motor ever, by a mile.  AMG seems really good at this, but with all their mills turbocharged now the 6.2 l V8 of the SLS will be the high water mark.  

My 2c is that it is more of a museum piece than something to drive around in regularly.  Frankly it does not drive very well other than at high freeway speeds.  You sit soooo far back versus the front that it is laughable. The suspension tuning and setup allow you to place the beast decently but you still are so far from the center point that it never feels intuitive.  The transmission, in a word, sucks, although the GT version supposedly has a better software package.  It does not shift quickly and is often not in the right gear.  There is so much power it doesn't really matter but... It really detracts from the car.  

I have not yet replaced.  May go back to a porsche, or an sl63.  

If you are a collector, it will be collectible.  If a driver who just likes the unique look, I suggest many other fine German cars.   

/\/\

I have only driven an SLS twice, both times coupe and both times around 20 miles.

I think of it as a hot rod with manners. With the massive bonnet in front of you, very responsive and direct steering and incredible power, it is completely spell binding and utterly bewitching.

SLS is very wide, and you sit very near the rear axle and miles away from the front. The sensational engine is behind the front axle. The noise it makes is thunderous, yet musical in a slightly coarse sort of way. It also clears outside lanes like no other car. And it’s a pussy cat to drive in traffic, with really excellent damping and ride -- perhaps the damping is different for European cars. Steering can be a bit light, but it turns in quickly. Hardly any slack anywhere. I love it. I have the same feeling of want as I did when I drove a 997.2 GT3 .. very dangerous!

I agree that the car is not "intuitive" and a bit "far away", but that's what I like about it .. it feels so different from anything else on the market. To me it feels connected, alive, raw but not uncultured, while being slightly brutish. It provides many of the sensations that have been engineered out of modern cars as they reach higher performance capabilities. SLS has tonnes of personality, but is not too shouty.

I didn't notice the gearbox not shifting quickly, but then I was on public roads, not a track. In any event, you can get a software update from Affalterbach (useful for us Europeans!) which apparently transforms the transmission.

I agree the styling is stunning, and it will be a modern classic, especially as many cars are beginning to look like one another. There is no other car with the outline or the proportions of the SLS, the SLS is completely unique.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    690990 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410131 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256181 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235404 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65744 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858793 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775098 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM