Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

To multifunction or not?

My manual C4S order includes a multifunction steering wheel. I also have an extended nav module optioned but no phone.

I'm having doubts about the multifunction wheel due to it being a larger diameter and it not being as thick as a sports wheel. Which wheel should I go for?

Your views and experiences appreciated.

Re: To multifunction or not?

Personal preference I'd say. Me? I'd always avoid buttons near the contact points on the wheel especially for when I'm busy/crossed up having 'fun'

For me the buttons are too close to the rim.

So I went with the standard Carrera S sports wheel. The multi function stalk gives me what I need close to the wheel plus I like the simple style of a plain wheel. Mind you I still prefer the look of the 996 steering wheels to the 997 options.

Best I've seen so far on a 997 is the GT3 wheel in alcantara.

For example some cell phones have huge number of things you can do with them. I only use 5% of mine's capabilities. I think you'd really have to be a gadget freak to use all those buttons on the wheel. I only use the volume contol and track changer on my BMW wheel.

BTW, the standard S wheel is the *thinnest* wheel; thinner grip diameter than the stock non-S.

I thought that they are the same except for the 'thicker wheel in smooth leather' plus don't you lose the thumbrests?

MMD, I think that the non-S, has the same diameter and thickness with the S, its just that the S has smaller diameter steering.....

And i think that there, IS an option with the multifunction steering in THICKER grip.... its option

Multifucntion steering in thick grip...

I really enjoy the multi-function wheel. I use it for NAV, radio & cd functions. big plus is the MUTE button. There is no mute function on the PCM itself.

I use the Off function

Quote:
    DILINGER said:
    And i think that there, IS an option with the multifunction steering in THICKER grip.... its option

Multifucntion steering in thick grip...

It does sound a good solution...

Quote:
    DILINGER said:
    MMD, I think that the non-S, has the same diameter and thickness with the S, its just that the S has smaller diameter steering.....

I dunno. I might be losing my mind but at one point I was certain the *grip diameter* (the part you wrap your fingers around) of the S was definitely slightly smaller than the non s.

Quote:
    RAKLAW said:
    I really enjoy the multi-function wheel. [edited] big plus is the MUTE button. There is no mute function on the PCM itself.

WOW! THAT changes everything, IMHO. BIIIIIIIIIG Plus! Wish I knew that before I ordered.

Mute button? PCM mutes the music when the phone rings and music gets quieter when 'she' says 'Please Turn Left, Now turn Left' ('she' sounds good doesn't 'she'??)!

When else can't you use the volume control?

As I said it's clearly a personal preference

Good luck and I hope you make the right choice...

Quote:
    john999s said:
    Mute button? PCM mutes the music when the phone rings and music gets quieter when 'she' says 'Please Turn Left, Now turn Left' ('she' sounds good doesn't 'she'??)!

When else can't you use the volume control?

As I said it's clearly a personal preference

Good luck and I hope you make the right choice...

It just makes no sense like a step (or steps) is (are) missing.

I turn on the PCM and the radio starts playing, or the CD plays (whichever was on last time?).

Seems if I want to "manage" my "communications" (PCM) I should be able to choose which comes onscreen when I turn the entire unit on.

IOW, if I just want the nav I should NOT be required to turn off the radio or CD EVERY time I just want the nav function.

No mute button also shameful, also some other details, like no touch screen (scrolling is troublesome) makes the entire unit second rate.

It's frickin' stupid glaring crappy operation design. They should be ashamed IMO.

This may be a stupid question, but how do you use the multifuction wheel to change tracks? All I know how to do is change the volume.....

To me its begining to sound as though the optional multifunction wheel is almost essential to have in order to fully control the PCM... a bit strange on a 100k car!

My Honda Accord has the best GPS system I have seen. It's touch screen/joystick/or voice operated. You can move or zoom the map however you want and it's easy to operate. I don't expect my 997S cabs (arriving in may) to be as user friendly but it should for the price of the car. I have similar complaints about Mercedes.

I wish I had not ordered the multifunction steering wheel.

However, I would recommend getting the MF wheel if you are also getting the SIM card phone module option 666 and are going to be placing/receiving lots of phone calls while driving.

The only thing I used mine for early on is Bose volume up/down and CD track change. The MF steering wheel volume control thumbwheel has to be rolled several times to go from low volume to full-on jam that I have stopped using it, whereas the stereo volume dial on the console is so close at hand that it is easier to simply adjust volume manually.

The CD track change command is delayed by half a second whether using the steering wheel or console facade buttons, so no great convenience there either imo. My BMW steering wheel volume and CD track controls are much preferable, more intuitive, instant response-- just mash the + of the flat toggle and hold.... cranks the music right up in linear progression.

The more I live with the 997S, the uglier the steering wheel buttons appear to me, cluttered and out of place in this car. But even with that being said, I'd still encourage getting the MF wheel if you are a gadget hound. On the positive side, I remain impressed with the top notch quality of the MF wheel's leather -- silky smooth.
    The handful of friends who have driven the car have commented on the feel of the leather also. Cheers.

MF is a waste-too many steps to change cd track or radio station; volume control is not sensitive enough, takes too many turns to change volume; as someone already said, much easier to use radio/cd from dash. I agree, PCM is absolutely second-rate even when compared with older BMW models. And this goes for the whole 997 C2S experience. This box is full of leaks, creaks, squeaks, rattles, grinds and sub-par electronics. Seat memory sucks, too, sometimes changing settings on its own. This $106,000 car is a massive disappointment.

mine orig. came with MF s.wheel (no phone module). subsequently decided it was too cluttered & not user friendly... you hv to look at the PCM screen when scrolling/selecting (which totally defeats the purpose).

i've swapped it for XPA since (which i much preferred). MF s.wheel's a waste of $$$ IMO.

The Thicker the better:! I drove a 997 cab today with the standard wheel and I definitely don't like it! It just doesn't feel right!:)

I TOTALY AGREE that PCM interface and software are at least 5 years before in terms of design and function....

BUT

1) you can deside which will be the order of appearance for CD/Radio/NAV or other interface from the PCM set up menu
    (check manual) You can do many things with the way the come up your screen when you open it up

2)there is a MUTE button that can be used simularly
    JUST choose the AUDIO panel scrol the pointed selection down to the mute button, leave it there, and when needed you JUST push the button/scroller and the sound is MUTED !!!

IT a solution if you want to use mute frequently

Frankly, I love my Multi-Functional Steering Wheel. I do have the phone, Bose, and Nav options but:

1) IMHO it looks better than the standard wheel (just my opinion!)
    2) Turning volumes down quickly is much easier than taking your eyes off the road (for which I do FAR too often already given all the button the 997 has on its console). This is also great for quickly adjusting the volume of the Nav lady's voice when it comes on.
    3) Zooming in and out on the Sat Nav map quickly.
    4) Great when coming into your drive at night and seeing the cool illuminated buttons haze around as you turn the wheel quickly

NOTE: For us in the UK with Right Hand Drive, the 997's centre console is the same way around than for LHR cars. The ergonomics of the setup on the console is therefore designed in mind of the driver being on the left of the console. Therefore in the UK, we have to 'reach' a lot more for common buttons than the rest of the world have to. Having the Multi-Functional Steering Wheel to take away some of that reaching (and therefore taking eyes off the road) is a HUGE plus in my book, and makes driving much safer.

Agree with Alex. I love my multi-function steering wheel - much easier to access quickly controls that are that bit further away for those of use in the UK. Also, it enables you to subtley turn up the volume when your girlfriend has just turned it down....

Yeh, forgot that one. Nice one Ed!

I just wish that the 'Sport' Button could be controlled from the steering wheel too (bit like the BMW M5/6), I hate having to reach around the gear stick to get to it whilst I'm on the move.

...this will be even more relevant when I have PSE tied into it in the next few weeks!!

Quote:
    Ed J said:
    Agree with Alex. I love my multi-function steering wheel - much easier to access quickly controls that are that bit further away for those of use in the UK. Also, it enables you to subtley turn up the volume when your girlfriend has just turned it down....

hah... i was the other way round (since swapping to XPA, i've got to tell my wife to keep her hands off the darn vol. knob).

Dilinger, you don't have to do anytthing in the AUDIO mode in order for the scroller to initiate the mute function. Just press the scroller at any time and the mute works; doesn't matter what mode the screen is in.

Sorry, gents- my post completely discounted Porsche's ergonomic DISCRIMINATION against our LHD contingent! that'd be a bit inconvenient to keep reaching to far left console for Volume.

no i m not refering to the volume button, but to the opposite button used for selection

The volume button you are referring does not mute but rather suspend the operation of the PCM.....

The one i m reffering is for selecting features of the PCM
    If its pointed in the mute function, and then just pressed it mutes the volume....

At least on my car, the left-sided scroll button, when pressed, mutes the sound and the mute symbol appears on the screen, just as if you had done it from the screen itself. All the other functions of the PCM still function as usual. Your method requires extra steps. Try it.

To all who have kindly posted. Thanks for providing me with a lot of information. Your responses have helped a lot.

I'm going to try and find out if a thicker MF wheel is avilable as I think it may be the way to go for me.

Quote:
    harlandoc said:
    At least on my car, the left-sided scroll button, when pressed, mutes the sound and the mute symbol appears on the screen, just as if you had done it from the screen itself. All the other functions of the PCM still function as usual. Your method requires extra steps. Try it.

I second that!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM