Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Tesla S 85p

Hi guys,

just want to suggest that if ever you have the opportunity you should drive a Tesla S. I did it last week and came away really impressed. Actually I believe it is a gamechanger. And not because of all the 'green' implications but mainly for one very impressive fact: the response of the car to throttle input.

I knew before the drive that that aspect would be great of course but it is one thing knowing it and another thing living it. The response is mindblowing, making even excellent NA aspirated cars look and feel slow and sleepy!!

So forget Gt3 or even more so Turbo acceleration: they respond well only if you are in the right gear at the right rev level. This car instead has 600 Nm at ANY regime and speed, it' s just fantastic!! 

My daily driver is a BmW X6 40d with 8 gears and 630 Nm, so i know torque, but compared to the tesla drivetrain it feels like an utter tractor!! And my Porsche turbo was better, but still you realize it's old tech rightaway...

I think this element I described will win many sports drivers over in the end, it certainly got me interested in the (kind od) car... even if sceptic, do yourself a favor and go try it out!!  Smiley

--

turbolite

Re: Tesla S 85p

I totally agree 100% - I had a tesla blow my doors in (vs 997 Turbo) at a stop light.  Instant torque - ridiculous.  I thought it was a game changer and I was not even in it!

That is the advantage of a battery powered car. Sadly, do I few of those accelerations and you will be stranded on some street with no power source.

nberry:

That is the advantage of a battery powered car. Sadly, do I few of those accelerations and you will be stranded on some street with no power source.

No.  That is the advantage of an electric motor and its torque characteristics-maximum torque is developed at zero RPM.

Leawood911:

I totally agree 100% - I had a tesla blow my doors in (vs 997 Turbo) at a stop light.  Instant torque - ridiculous.  I thought it was a game changer and I was not even in it!

Your feeling was exactly right!!Smiley

I will wait for the Tesla S with Awd and then get serious about it if the price is not ridiculous. Awd adds a motor at the front that adds another 50% of tourque ! We are talking 900 Nm from standstill !!  The Porsche Panamera hybrid effort - combining an Audi engine with a 9.5 kwh motor is just laughable and miserable, sorry,Smiley

It feels to me as if Telsa overtook everybody on the emergency lane coming out of nowhere. As long time Porsche fan and driver it almost saddens me, but I hope this is an incentive to Stuttgart to wake up asap! Smiley

PS: I drove the car with the performance package and 21 rims. Still felt comfortable. Cant wait for a proper Sport Auto test to get serious dynamic impressions and measurements...Smiley

--

turbolite

nberry:

I believe autonomy is an aspect that will get ultimately sorted. Either with more recharging stations and/or better batteries/batterymanagement. They figured it out with laptops, why not with cars... Smiley

--

turbolite

turbolite:
    Leawood911:

Your feeling was exactly right!!Smiley

I will wait for the Tesla S with Awd and then get serious about it if the price is not ridiculous. Awd adds a motor at the front that adds another 50% of tourque ! We are talking 900 Nm from standstill !!  The Porsche Panamera hybrid effort - combining an Audi engine with a 9.5 kwh motor is just laughable and miserable, sorry,Smiley

It feels to me as if Telsa overtook everybody on the emergency lane coming out of nowhere. As long time Porsche fan and driver it almost saddens me, but I hope this is an incentive to Stuttgart to wake up asap! Smiley

PS: I drove the car with the performance package and 21 rims. Still felt comfortable. Cant wait for a proper Sport Auto test to get serious dynamic impressions and measurements...Smiley

I agree that the Tesla Model S is a surprisingly good car; however, I remain somewhat skeptical.  Here's why.  The Model S still is range constrained by the longer recharging time compared with refueling a "conventional" automobile. The other issue is the longer term reliability of the car.  This is Tesla's really first mass produced car and what will the car be like in a few years?  Will the battery pack degrade significantly?  I do realize that Tesla has introduced a battery swapping service, but there may be significant costs associated with changing out an older battery pack.  Also, every time I go past the local Tesla Center I notice several cars in various states of disassembly.  

Theoretically, once they sort things out, the electric car should be way more reliable (only one moving part in the motor and much simpler transmission, if any).

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Grant:

Theoretically, once they sort things out, the electric car should be way more reliable (only one moving part in the motor and much simpler transmission, if any).

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Theoretically yes; however, there are a bit more moving parts in the car ranging from the suspension system to environmental system.  

I still chuckle when a fund manager told me about the shrewd deal Warren Buffett did in acquiring Lubrizol since it indicated a strong interest in EVs.  I then explained that EVs should require far few lubricants, in quantity and type, than a corresponding ICE.  

I agree that the car has very little Autobahn potential. Very limited top end speed.

The car may have some added repairs due to the unexpected, but warranty will cover that.

The expected repair of battery replacement will get cheaper over time and be made up for by ongoing minimal other maintenance and awesome performance.

That awesome performance is related more to acceleration and not so much to top speed.

Nick, you can only draw down batteries at a certain rate (these aren't nitrous tanks). A few 0-60 stomps will not seriously degrade overall range.

That's the other bugger. These cars have 200 to 300 mile daily range. Most people that can afford these cars don't travel that many miles in a day without returning home for the night or have another car (or rental) for road trips.

I see them as being of serious interest to performance enthusiasts in the speed limited US and a few other countries where the owner does not typically travel more than a couple of hundred miles per day.

Oh and that whole lauch from a stop light and hit 60 without any engine noise; it will be a big seller in the US.

There are probably 50 Tesla S's in a 1 mile circle around my house...6 on my block alone, and those on my block replaced the flagship models from BMW, MBZ, Audi as well as couple Priuses and a 997. 

i suspect that here in Silicon Valley, the Tesla S has wiped out new A8 and 7 series sales , not so much E class or 5 series sales. 

Once  they have a Supercharger  station on the route to North Lake Tahoe, I'll probably get one , too, the P85 version. The current one before the mountain climb  is for heading towards the  "wrong end  "of the  Lake. 

Interestingly, a friend charged his Tesla at a Nissan dealership ( they sell the all electric Leaf model ) half way on the way up to Tahoe when his battery started running low .

New tech is always risky.

The only way to buy a Tesla nowadays for me would be to just lease it. You know exactly what you spend  and where u will end up financially. If i understand it correctly you guys in the US are being offered pretty forthcoming leasing terms. I wish I could take advantage of those too.... 

--

turbolite

There is no leasing available in Canada but they do offer 3.99%, 84 month financing with one of the major banks with no fee prepayment. We almost never drive farther than our cottage in one go and that’s 240km so one of these would absolutely work for us. I think it has an 8 year bumper to bumper warrantee and battery tech by then will be so much better that I don’t worry about it.

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

My business partner just picked up a fully loaded Tesla.  The car definitely is a game changer!  And for 99% of most peoples use cases range will not be an issue.  Apparently his brother is now seriously thinking about dropping his Panamera for one.

--

2007 997TT Blk/Blk 2007 X3 Sil Gry/Taupe 2002 E46 M3 Slvr/Blk (gone)

MKW:

There are probably 50 Tesla S's in a 1 mile circle around my house...6 on my block alone, and those on my block replaced the flagship models from BMW, MBZ, Audi as well as couple Priuses and a 997. 

i suspect that here in Silicon Valley, the Tesla S has wiped out new A8 and 7 series sales , not so much E class or 5 series sales. 

Once  they have a Supercharger  station on the route to North Lake Tahoe, I'll probably get one , too, the P85 version. The current one before the mountain climb  is for heading towards the  "wrong end  "of the  Lake. 

Interestingly, a friend charged his Tesla at a Nissan dealership ( they sell the all electric Leaf model ) half way on the way up to Tahoe when his battery started running low .

I don't know how many Tesla Model S are around in Chicago but I see several every day, an AWD version will only increase its desirability in Chicago.  

Have Tesla and the other manufacturers figured out high energy batteries and the cold?  I haven't done serious research but 'folklore is that there is serious range lost and battery life in cold environments like Chicago, most of canada etc....

cookieguy:

Have Tesla and the other manufacturers figured out high energy batteries and the cold?  I haven't done serious research but 'folklore is that there is serious range lost and battery life in cold environments like Chicago, most of canada etc....

Yes and no.  Most of the battery packs include an environmental control system to avoid that specific problem. Unfortunately, these systems require electrical energy as an input.  This is fine when the car is on a charging system, less so when on battery power alone. 

Apparently the cold weather package with heated rear seats help the range? I would guess that it is set up for them to also keep the batteries warm as well... Tesla did admit that cold weather noticeably affected range. 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

well I have a reservation on it, and I did test it twice in milan.For my daily use it is just perfect, I never do more than 200 km per day , and i use the car like most italians do, which means fast in the city and like 160/180 in the autostrada around the city for getting like only 50 km far from the city.With this drive style which is just the worst you can do for the batteries, i could still manage more than 300km per charge said the tripcomputer, so it is just no range problems for me.You should charge the car full with just some euros!!!, and you have a incredible fast car in acceleration, and the top speed is enough for daily use. The most impressive about the tesla is the silence and the power!!! Amazing. well it is just like an iphone , you must know that you cannot use it without thinking of battery!!! but I understand why many choose this instead of a panamera, or similar,it is more beautiful and so much more futuristic, bu if you need to travel long you need of course another car!!  compliments to TESLA

--

993 c2

How a tesla is made - VIDEO Link!

http://devour.com/video/how-a-tesla-is-made/

I had a test drive in one today, came away very impressed..  Great to drive.. felt pretty quick as well.  Very tractable - has a ton of torque available at any speed.  Only thing that let it down a little for me was the quality of the interior trim.   I don't need a car that big, but according to the salesman a more compact version is in the pipeline..

Well done, Tesla..

--

2011 987S, 1964 Type 1

I would love to try one , but for the moment there is no dealer in my area …

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

I got this one from Tesla in the centre of Zürich.  They were at the motor show and offering test drives to anyone interested.  Glad I went - it really is something completely different, and much more attractive than I expected it to be.

--

2011 987S, 1964 Type 1

My wife has a Tesla Model S as her daily driver since January.

She loves it, although she wishes it were the size of her departed Audi S4.

--

Mike

Carrera GT + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S + Panamera Turbo +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T + GT3 RS 4.0

Yes, the size was the most off-putting aspect for me, followed by the slightly low-rent interior.  The sales guy said an SUV was next up, followed by something 3-series sized..

--

2011 987S, 1964 Type 1

Model X one year out. Gen III (smaller cheaper version) 3 to 5 years out FYI...

One thing that is putting me off right now is the lack of adaptive cruise control and lane change assist...

70- 140 in around 5 secs is something only the veyron can manage, what a car!!!!!

--

993 c2

Everyone seems to forget the next big step by Tesla. You see Elon designed his cars such that the entire battery pack can be swapped out from underneath the car in less time than it takes to fill your regular gasoline car... So that pretty much completely eliminates that range argument.

Watch it here live: It is brilliant!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5V0vL3nnHY

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Atzporsche:

Everyone seems to forget the next big step by Tesla. You see Elon designed his cars such that the entire battery pack can be swapped out from underneath the car in less time than it takes to fill your regular gasoline car... So that pretty much completely eliminates that range argument.

Ha! Love it, thanks.

--
    2008 Boxster S

Atzporsche:

Here's my problem with that video: Why do they show the fuel up up-close but not the battery swap? Smiley Maybe because it really isn't that easy and cannot be done by everyone? Just saying... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM