Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: "Cajun" is now...MACAN Thread Closed

RC:

The Macan is the entry level Porsche SUV, for those who would want but cannot (or don't want to) afford a Cayenne.

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

I do not agree with that. As others pointed out the size of all cars is increasing. The Macan will be smaller and that may be an attractive for  those who value that even if they could very well afford a Cayenne.

On another post a comment was made that there is no point in a Cayenne V6. I like the V6. I do not need a dragster SUV and may prefer a nimbler SUV. Have you driven a recent V6 Cayenne? Pretty nice dynamic car for those who want a utility vehicle where ultimate acceleration is not the goal, but great dynamics is desired.

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

Problem is that the Macan is not that much smaller than the Cayenne. It's still very wide for European standards..

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

993Targa:

Problem is that the Macan is not that much smaller than the Cayenne. It's still very wide for European standards..

+1

When I ordered my Boxster I thought about a Cayenne (perfect to transport our bikes or ski) or a Panamera (best of both worlds).

I didn’t order them because they are too big/heavy for the garage in my office building. Don’t ask me which stupid architect is responsible, but you can only park cars lighter then 2.000kg and a little bit shorter than the Panamera. Even with the Boxster it is difficult to open the doors (2 doors = big doors).

My wife and I thought about ordering a Maccan as our second car (we have a VW Tiguan as a garage queen, less then 5.000km/year). If the Maccan is that big it is probably not the solution for our plan to update our second car. Bigger than the actual Q5 would be impossible. Probably I am not the only one here in Europe with that problem

ADias:

I do not agree with that. As others pointed out the size of all cars is increasing. The Macan will be smaller and that may be an attractive for  those who value that even if they could very well afford a Cayenne.

The only reason to get a Macan is agility/performance and the price tag. Since the size seems to be similar to the Cayenne (hasn't been confirmed yet but every rumor/info so far indicates that), the only other point to get a Macan is the price tag.

Look at the Cayman: It is an entry level 911 for those who cannot afford one, even if Porsche would probably never admit that. If Porsche really decides to build a Cayman GT(S), as some rumors indicate (still not sure about it), it will be priced very close to the 911. Then you will realize that many will actually go for the 911 instead.

On another post a comment was made that there is no point in a Cayenne V6. I like the V6. I do not need a dragster SUV and may prefer a nimbler SUV. Have you driven a recent V6 Cayenne? Pretty nice dynamic car for those who want a utility vehicle where ultimate acceleration is not the goal, but great dynamics is desired.

The V6 is the wrong engine for the Cayenne. The Cayenne feels slow and lethargic with the V6. Great dynamics? You don't seem to realize that the V6 Cayenne has a different chassis/AWD/steering setup than the more powerful tiers. I would rather go for the Diesel instead (torque). I would rather buy a Jeep SRT8 for the same (or less) money.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Boxster GTS and Cayman GTS are being introduced at the Beijing Auto Show in April.  Deliveries start in the US in a mid-june. Cayman GTS will have 340Hp engine.

--

2006 997 C2S Cab, Triple Black,  2013 Cayenne Dark Blue Metallic New York

bobr:

Boxster GTS and Cayman GTS are being introduced at the Beijing Auto Show in April.  Deliveries start in the US in a mid-june. Cayman GTS will have 340Hp engine.

I was actually referring to the rumored Cayman model with the current 400 hp 991 Carrera S engine (991 facelift gets more power at that point or earlier). My apologies for the misunderstanding. The model designation doesn't seem to be sure yet, I heard everything from GT to GTS and even GT4 (which kind of sounds weird).

There will be a more powerful Cayman next year but I thought Porsche would name it Cayman R? Smiley Not really sure since I haven't looked too much into the Boxster/Cayman development lately. 

--

RC:
    ADias:

The only reason to get a Macan is agility/performance and the price tag. Since the size seems to be similar to the Cayenne (hasn't been confirmed yet but every rumor/info so far indicates that), the only other point to get a Macan is the price tag.

Look at the Cayman: It is an entry level 911 for those who cannot afford one, even if Porsche would probably never admit that. If Porsche really decides to build a Cayman GT(S), as some rumors indicate (still not sure about it), it will be priced very close to the 911. Then you will realize that many will actually go for the 911 instead.

The V6 is the wrong engine for the Cayenne. The Cayenne feels slow and lethargic with the V6. Great dynamics? You don't seem to realize that the V6 Cayenne has a different chassis/AWD/steering setup than the more powerful tiers. I would rather go for the Diesel instead (torque). I would rather buy a Jeep SRT8 for the same (or less) money.

--

This is a question of personal experiences/perspectives. I am on the camp where raw power/torque is not the main objective. I am a fan of enough power/torque for superior balanced dynamics, therefore a V6 Cayenne is my preferred platform, and this has nothing to do with price of admission.

However, as a long time 11 fan I can never agree that the 'Cayman is an entry level 911'. Last I checked the Cayman is a mid-engine chassis and the 911 (especially up to the 997) is an 'all-in-the-rear' chassis. For seat-of-the-pants feeling/driving they are night and day. I concede that the 991 has less all-in-the-rear-dynamics and that seems to agree with its current customer base, so all is fine. :)

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

bobr:

Boxster GTS - that might get me to trade my very fresh Lotus Smiley

--

2013 Lotus Evora S/ 2008 Cayenne GTS Manual

2012 991 C2S -PDK / 2010 997.2 turbo cab manual, sold //2008 RS 60 sold /04 C4S sold - 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

Wow...A Cayman with 400 hp engine would be fantastic car. Cayman R badge works for me.  

--

2006 997 C2S Cab, Triple Black,  2013 Cayenne Dark Blue Metallic New York

Here you go: large[r] photos of the interior.

Typical Porsche fare but looks like a snug place to be. The front console has a small empty space ahead of the e-brake where I'm guessing a 'Macan' badge will fit and it looks like there won't be a four-zone climate control option by looking at the climate control console in the back. On a majorly positive note: the next-generation multifunction steering wheel looks excellent and the new paddles look like a winner! No more ergonomic complaints.

Five days!

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S

I'm more interested in the luggage room but I haven't seen any photos yet. The rear could be a challenge for adults but not so much for kids. However, I wonder how the Macan is almost the same size as the Cayenne but offers much less interior and luggage room, this just doesn't make sense. yes

--

RC:

..... However, I wonder how the Macan is almost the same size as the Cayenne but offers much less interior and luggage room, this just doesn't make sense. yes

Design over function is the issue here. The steeply raked roofline is robbing a lot of rear headroom which may prove to be an issue for buyers in this segment. The new BMW X4 looks like it is going to be ridiculously compromised in the rear for the same reason.

The glass house of the Macan also tapers in like a teardrop at the rear to mimic the shape of the rear hips on the 911 in the same way the Panamera does. That is really going to compromise the usable space in the trunk as it will make it narrow in considerably around 30-40 cms above the floor as a result.

I'm afraid you're right...we are going to know for sure next week. 

--

I like the steering wheel because it looks like a combination of the sport design steering wheel look/paddle shifters plus the multifunction steering wheel with buttons for phone and scrolling...

--

2011 Porsche 911 [997.2] Carrera 4S (Platinum Silver) {Sold}
    2013 Porsche Panamera GTS [970.1] (Basalt Black)
    2013 Porsche 911 [991.1] Carrera S (GT Silver)
    2014 Porsche 911 [991.1] GT3 (Agate Grey) {Delivery date: December 2013}

“The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively” ― Bob Marley

Agree about the tapering roof line compromising rear head room.  Also, don't really like the taper look on an SUV (e.g., Evora).   RR does better here, even if too boxy overall for my taste.  Do like the front console, however...

If they would have increased the size bigger than a cayenne then that roof line would no have hurt intron cabin space and cargo room, like with the X6 vs the X5, but applied to an even smaller car than the cayenne I'm not sure how this is going to work out. It's a compromise that someone looking for a sportscar might not mind, but someone looking for a SUV surely will. 

--

Carlos from Spain:

If they would have increased the size bigger than a cayenne then that roof line would no have hurt intron cabin space and cargo room, like with the X6 vs the X5, but applied to an even smaller car than the cayenne I'm not sure how this is going to work out. It's a compromise that someone looking for a sportscar might not mind, but someone looking for a SUV surely will. 

I just hope that they know what they are doing because if the Macan is almost as big as a Cayenne but lacks the back seat space and luggage room, well... Smiley

--

Look at the poor guy in the back seat. His head it touching the roof, only half of his thighs even come into contact with the seat bottom due to knee/leg room! He looks like a normal enough guy and would probably be uncomfortable being in there for more than 30 minutes...

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Mithras:

Look at the poor guy in the back seat. His head it touching the roof, only half of his thighs even come into contact with the seat bottom due to knee/leg room! He looks like a normal enough guy and would probably be uncomfortable being in there for more than 30 minutes...

If you look at the photo of the front of the cabin taken in the same car, the front passenger seat looks to be almost as far forward as it can go. If the guy in the back had to push the front seat that far forward to get in behind it then nobody but a very small adult or a child will have enough legroom in the front . Is the Macan perhaps effectively going to be the first 2+2 SUV with very little luggage space?? Smiley

This photo gives a good indication of size when you look at the guy standing next to it. He is standing quite a bit taller than the rear roofline and can quite easily see over the roof above the driver's head. Someone of average height could not do either with the Cayenne.

Macan vs Cayenne.JPG

Original photos from AMS photoshoot (not photoshoped)

Audi-Q5-Porsche-Macan-Frontansicht-fotoshowBigImage-4817da81-733437.jpgPorsche-Macan-Seitenansicht-fotoshowBigImage-dc5797bc-733418.jpgAudi-Q5-Porsche-Macan-Frontansicht-fotoshowBigImage-cb974f85-733413.jpgPorsche-Macan-Seitenansicht-fotoshowBigImage-8316d2f3-733432.jpgAudi-Q5-Porsche-Macan-Heckansicht-fotoshowBigImage-85040b26-733414.jpgPorsche-Macan-Seitenansicht-fotoshowBigImage-208a439c-733435.jpgAudi-Q5-Porsche-Macan-Seitenansicht-fotoshowBigImage-29deadb5-733415.jpgPorsche-Macan-Motorhaube-fotoshowBigImage-6862bb52-733424.jpgPorsche-Macan-Motor-fotoshowBigImage-a879b3fc-733422.jpgPorsche-Macan-Heckansicht-fotoshowBigImage-2e97f8eb-733436.jpgPorsche-Macan-Frontansicht-fotoshowBigImage-d9066579-733416.jpgPorsche-Macan-Frontansicht-fotoshowBigImage-86663333-733434.jpg

--

There seems to be quite a difference in the rear hatch configuration between the Macan and the Q5.  Is the Q5 in these photos from an older version of the platform?  It's hard to believe they are from the same platform vintage with that big of a difference in the rear hatch configuration.

I think the Macan is based on the forthcoming Q5 platform. It is the first VW Group model on the new platform.

It looks wider and lower than the existing Audi. Length? I cannot judge from the photos above.

I am not excited by the look, even allowing for the fact that it is just a SUV. I don't think I would pay a premium of 10%+ plus options to acquire this model over the Audi. However, people who are comfortable with the Cayenne style, will most probably like this one too.

Realistically, Porsche = 911 and to a lesser extent Boxster. The rest are milking of the Name.

--

"Form follows function"

looks  like the roof grab handles carry over from th Cayenne - good news as i can swap out my oem carbon fibre ones from my Cayenne. small thing but then again i'm nutsSmiley

the delta in size over mine is minimal but that new interior and the PDK might push the change.

--

2013 Lotus Evora S/ 2008 Cayenne GTS Manual

2012 991 C2S -PDK / 2010 997.2 turbo cab manual, sold //2008 RS 60 sold /04 C4S sold - 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

Good overall, but taillights and black side protectors are unfortunate...

Wonderbar:

Those are stickers covering the production taillights. The sketches seem to show black panels on the doors but ultimately, I think it's best to pass judgment when the covers come off in four days.

To answer earlier questions, the Macan is indeed the first product to use the next-generation MLB platform that will underpin the next Q5 in 2016 and several other VW Group vehicles.

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S

Wow, it DOES look very good to me! It may have hurt practicality, but I do like the looks!

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

rulesdontapply:
    Wonderbar:

Those are stickers covering the production taillights. The sketches seem to show black panels on the doors but ultimately, I think it's best to pass judgment when the covers come off in four days.

To answer earlier questions, the Macan is indeed the first product to use the next-generation MLB platform that will underpin the next Q5 in 2016 and several other VW Group vehicles.

rulesdontapply

The MLB platform forms the basis for all longitudinal engined Audis and has, in the past, included the Bentley Continental series. The next generation is the MLB Evo and, in part, was debuted on the recent Audi Sport Quattro concept.  

pretty disappointing rear space. Clearly a solution for two people or family with really small kids. In any case a car for the occasions with small baggage.

I can say one thing for sure - I will not be a buyer of that car angry

I must say that it looks quite good.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690456 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409733 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255991 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235267 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65643 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858390 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774663 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM