Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: A45 AMG

intouch1:

as for the A45, it sounds as if something was wrong with the car you test drove.

Well I told the dealer I found the car slow and he did not mention anything.

Last week, another vendor, talking about this very car, told me that he drove their SLS and that there was not much difference up to 140km/h... Smiley

I'd wait for the VW Golf 7 R, if I wanted a car of this type i.e.  I were not more than around 30 years old.

--

"Form follows function"

I am still surprised that for example Mini hasn't developed a Mini Cooper with AWD and a 300 hp engine, some sort of modern Lancia Delta HF Integrale (many of the younger users probably don't have a clue about the Lancia but at it's time, it "killed" almost every high performance car on the street since it had plently of power and AWD, something very unique for the 80s). The A45 AMG sounded like a good idea and I think it is but the car is way too heavy, even if the performance is great. Just imagine this: With full options, the A45 AMG weights practically the same as the new 991 Turbo. This is just ridiculous.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

I really dont get what the fuss is all about...almost everyone i met seems to be in love with A45, I am much more interested in the upcoming 235i

Chris Harris: Mercedes A45 AMG vs BMW M135i

That BMW meets much tougher competition from Merc's A45 AMG - can it still prevail?

(18 July 2013)

Can the world handle another M135i story? Judging by the multiple pages generated by PH doing nothing more than outlining the specification of the new fleet example, the answer is yes.

On the 4 Series launch earlier this week I met both the man responsible for the M135i powertrain, and the chassis - two rather talented individuals I hope you'll agree. They both talked of the car with real passion and the chassis man let slip that BMW is considering a mechanical locking differential for the car - it would be the first option I'd tick.

I really would like to drive a very basic specification M135i. I'm pretty sure that all I would have now is the gearbox, some heated seats, the adaptive dampers and a method of connecting my iPod and phone to the car. The rest I'd leave.

The A45 AMG is better specified - I've already written something about the car but the video gives you the chance to hear those pops 'n bangs.

One thing that shines through in this test is just how perfect rear-wheel drive is for the internet video generation. Ignoring the pros and cons of rear drive in the UK, you just can't argue with how much more exciting it makes cars appear on video and in magazines. I wonder how much this influences BMW's decision to remain RWD? I wonder how many cars are sold on the back of an oversteer photograph or video clip?

A45 can't do this - but does that really matter?

On the road the A45 is a very exciting car, but because it doesn't move around as much, won't lay down black lines and make people like me whoop on a track it comes across as being a little sterile. That simply isn't the case.

The German ultra-hatch is a fast emerging genre. It's a recipe that works especially well on UK roads.

Why no RS3? It would have been slaughtered.

Enjoy the vid...

...thanks and all due credit to Chris Harris!

Smiley SmileySmiley

RC:

I am still surprised that for example Mini hasn't developed a Mini Cooper with AWD and a 300 hp engine, some sort of modern Lancia Delta HF Integrale (many of the younger users probably don't have a clue about the Lancia but at it's time, it "killed" almost every high performance car on the street since it had plently of power and AWD, something very unique for the 80s). The A45 AMG sounded like a good idea and I think it is but the car is way too heavy, even if the performance is great. Just imagine this: With full options, the A45 AMG weights practically the same as the new 991 Turbo. This is just ridiculous.

i'd go for such a mini in an instant.

my brother had a Delta integrale 8V............what a car !! i loved it to bits.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:
    RC:

my brother had a Delta integrale 8V............what a car !! i loved it to bits.

Great times,i was 20 years old,and my friends name me LanciaMan...hahahahhaindecision

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo

Super Darius:

intouch1:
    RC:

I am still surprised that for example Mini hasn't developed a Mini Cooper with AWD and a 300 hp engine, some sort of modern Lancia Delta HF Integrale (many of the younger users probably don't have a clue about the Lancia but at it's time, it "killed" almost every high performance car on the street since it had plently of power and AWD, something very unique for the 80s). ...

Great times,i was 20 years old,and my friends name me LanciaMan...hahahahhaindecision

Would be interested in such a Mini too.

Found some old spare 'elefantino' stickers in my toolbox this morning... Ah, the memories!

I really miss my Lancia Delta HF Integrale Sedici. I had a blast in this car, also had the first 8V since I was driving a group N version in the national championship. What a great time and what a great car. My street Sedici was modded to over 280 hp and when I fully accelerated from standstill, the front axle jumped up a couple of centimeters, it was the show at red lights. This is also how I killed my cardan shaft... angry

Good times. kiss

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Mike S:

I've driven the car briefly at my dealer and I loved it so much, I got 2. They are due to arrive in October.

Autocar also rated it quite highly, they actually really disliked the M135.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCoWi_wU-oM

Hey Mike,

Did your amg45's arrived? What are your first impressions as an owner?

I wanted to replace our Mini Countryman Cooper S with a A45 AMG but my mother needs to drive this car too from time to time and she wants something much smaller. So instead of a A45 AMG, it is going to be a Mini Cooper D. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Just so glad to see the reference to "my mother" instead of my "mother-in-law". Maybe it's just me, but it brightened my day. kiss

Gladstone:

Just so glad to see the reference to "my mother" instead of my "mother-in-law". Maybe it's just me, but it brightened my day. kiss

Smiley 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Gonna necro an old thread.

Just came back from Las Vegas on a AMG Performance Tour driving event.

Drove SLS, SL63, E63S sedan/wagon, C63 Coupe/Sedan and a 507, CLS63, SLK55 and a pre-production CLA45, cousin to the A45.

Man what a blast, while those 500+ hp machine are a blast to drive, and the SL63 was surprisingly quick, it easily wheeled in the SLS on the straight. I had the most fun in the SLK55 and the CLA45 and my favourite is the CLA45.

SLK55 is a very very underrated car, it really handles well and has good enough power.

But the gem is the CLA45. That new 4 banger is really something, oh my god, it hauls. There is almost zero perceivable lag from the turbo and the awd system works really well in putting down the power. I kept coming back to the CLA45 for driving sessions. I just can't seem to get enough of that car. While it doesn't have the muscular exhaust of the other AMG V8s, it still puts out a very impressive exhaust sound. It drives lighter than it really is and body roll control is very nicely done.

Just too bad Mercedes thinks since the Americans hates the A class, they are not bringing in the A class to Canada either and gives us a neutered one, the CLA45. But the engine and awd system is so nice I am considering buying a CLA45, even if I am stuck with the junk sedan layout. 

--

The guys at the marketing must be very happy . They hit their target with this event smiley

Joking aside, your comment on the CLA45 is very interesting . That could be a great DD. The only real problem I have with the A class is the front styling . It is completely out of proportions and why do they want to be screening : here I come, I am a big  hungry whale !  It is plain ugly …. to the point I could not buy it just because of that.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Lol, they were tempting me to buy the SLS but I like the cheapest car instead 

--

Whoopsy:

Any chance you've tried the SLS Black as well? That should be seriously impressive (and tempting).

Whoopsy:

Smiley The A45 AMG is actually a bit sportier (chassis setup?) than the CLA45 AMG according to various reviews. A pity they don't offer it in the US or Canada.

I haven't driven the CLA45 yet but the A45 and I would love to get one but we don't really need it, only if we would replace the Mini Countryman with it. On the other hand, my old mother drives this car too and I don't think it is a good idea to give her a 300+ hp car for a daily driver. Smiley So instead of a A45, we will get a Mini Cooper D. Smiley

--

what were yr impressions on the E63 S 4-matic ? I am thinking of getting a good depreciated one - heard also that they dynoed one here and it had over 600 hp..... -amazing family rocket....

BjoernB:

what were yr impressions on the E63 S 4-matic ? I am thinking of getting a good depreciated one - heard also that they dynoed one here and it had over 600 hp..... -amazing family rocket....

I drove one a couple of weeks ago and I liked it but it doesn't feel as sporty as the Panamera Turbo S for example. The engine/exhaust sound is much better though and traction was never an issue in sport mode. The steering feel is close to the Panamera Turbo S though, which was actually the reason I got rid of the Panamera (steering doesn't provide much feedback at lower speeds).

--

thanks for yr comments -however, I think it "doesn't" have to be sporty - for that you have other cars ticking that box - i am impressed by it's low grunt torque , space , 4wheeldrive (finally) . It's very stealth and everybody knows Audi RS models but a E-wagon doesn't attract much attention. the only thing I don't like is the navi system - the new S-Class is a incredible step above everything else in that respect

BjoernB:

thanks for yr comments -however, I think it "doesn't" have to be sporty - for that you have other cars ticking that box - i am impressed by it's low grunt torque , space , 4wheeldrive (finally) . It's very stealth and everybody knows Audi RS models but a E-wagon doesn't attract much attention. the only thing I don't like is the navi system - the new S-Class is a incredible step above everything else in that respect

I will never understand why so many people seem to be in love with the new S class and at the same time drive a sports car too. Smiley If I could, I would use my 991 Turbo S as a daily driver, it does everything I need just perfectly. It wouldn't make much difference if I would drive to work in the Turbo S or the new S class, both are considered to be very expensive "upper class" cars, so... Smiley

I made two mistakes in my life regarding cars: The E55 AMG and the Panamera Turbo S. Great cars but really not for me. Too comfy and they don't offer any real advantage over a SUV, on the contrary.

Get a ML63 AMG with Performance Package. More stealth is almost impossible and you have the right car for winter time. The engine/exhaust sound is very similar to the E63 AMG.

--

BjoernB:

The AMG engines are under rated on purpose for insurance purposes as we were told........................

There was 24 customers on my session. At debriefing 13 of them said they LOVED the E63S sedan/wagons. 

There was a guy who owns a Mercedes dealership in Edmonton and I believe someone placed an order for one with him on the spot. 

With the 4Matic system traction is amazing, granted, we were on a smooth race track on a dry day, but I didn't see the traction control comes on at all, on the other hand, the SLS and the SL63 were tripping the TCS all the time.

A the end of the day there was hot laps with the instructors at the wheel. The E63S wagon was driven by a middle aged woman instructor, 3 of us hopped in for a ride with her. Boy was that a sight. A 'mom' driving around a race track at 10/10 in a wagon full of men haha. 

--

Just imagine a C63 AMG Coupe with the 517 hp engine of the Black Series and AWD. I loved my C63 AMG Coupe PP and I still regret selling it. It just was the wrong car for the climate here. With AWD, I may have kept it. Engine was wonderful, the engine/exhaust sound was just divine. This is something Porsche still needs to learn (Panamera/ Cayenne Turbo models).

--

RC:
    BjoernB:

I will never understand why so many people seem to be in love with the new S class and at the same time drive a sports car too. Smiley If I could, I would use my 991 Turbo S as a daily driver, it does everything I need just perfectly. It wouldn't make much difference if I would drive to work in the Turbo S or the new S class, both are considered to be very expensive "upper class" cars, so... Smiley

And I don't understand people who are using a 991 TT in every day traffic, which has much less comfort and security features. You should give the AMG S63L 4matic really a try.
    Never traveled so well like in that car, even on country roads it doesn't lack an adequate sportiness.

James Bond on wheels as someone already wrote...

jesse:
    RC:
    BjoernB:

And I don't understand people who are using a 991 TT in every day traffic, which has much less comfort and security features. You should give the AMG S63L 4matic really a try.
    Never traveled so well like in that car, even on country roads it doesn't lack an adequate sportiness.

James Bond on wheels as someone already wrote...

I test-drove the S500 and it bored me so much that I returned the car after half an hour (had it for half a day actually). I hate comfort, only when I'm sometimes tired from work, I prefer a less challenging driving style but usually, I enjoy my Cayenne GTS more than I enjoy the Mini Countryman (which is much more comfortable but this is what I actually hate about the car).

Security features? I am my best security feature. Smiley Comfort? No thanks. Smiley

No doubt, the new S class is a fantastic piece of automotive technology but not a car I would get, simple as that. 

--

amazon:

There are lots of people who thinks that the M135 is the better car.

We've driven a BMW M135i a couple of weeks ago, as it was on the short list to replace our 997 - SWMBO is struggling to cope with the prone seating position in sports cars due to hip problems - and we were both very disappointed with it. The quality of the interior trim is rubbish, and inferior to my Skoda Octavia, believe it or not. The performance seemed quite insipid, and on right hand drive cars the accelerator pedal is badly offset. We are now seriously considering the Audi S3 Sportback.

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

RC:

Smiley The A45 AMG is actually a bit sportier (chassis setup?) than the CLA45 AMG according to various reviews. A pity they don't offer it in the US or Canada.

Again some more car sales weirdness from DR. both the A45 and the CLA45 are offered here with customer orders. And still the cars that come here are US spec. this country really is very weird in car model and brand distribution. 

How the hell can a A45 be a US spec car? 

I was told with a straight face Mercedes didn't qualify the A-class for the North American market and no plans to.

--

Why wouldn't the A class be US spec?  Smart cars are in the us. 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690709 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409914 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256105 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235347 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65728 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858660 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774865 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM