Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: "Cajun" is now...MACAN Thread Closed

I think, the black side protectors are quite a good idea to cover the seemingly high waist line of the car ?

The pics by Larson that featured in Autobild a long time back were right on the money.

Larson impression.JPG

No surprise, I was hoping for a bit more. This is just OK and don't feel the need to trade in my Cayenne. Maybe it looks better in the flesh..

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

Weird...still nothing official yes

--

Weird, indeed - no other car mag is on this story right now...

Looks like AMS have paid alot to get the scoop...

--

Is AMS not from the same publishing office than Sport Auto, Motor Klassik and some other car-related magazines?

And don't they have a pretty good relationship with VAG/PAG?  Just curious..... This could all been planned this way

--

Suzy

well, a globally operating company like P. in a deal with a "local" car mag ? I doubt that ...

KresoF1:

New AWD for Macan is actually RWD with electromechanically activated front wheel drive. Not permanent AWD like on Audi. I am dissapointed...

I guess this is intentional by Porsche, what I see is that they are going to differentiate their utility vehicles/sedans from Audi's, by being much more road focused at the expense of utility (the Q5 clearly will have more usable space) and also at the expense of any pretence to off road ability (which nobody in Europe and most of the world really uses anyways).   For the Macan this means a RWD "feel" to the car as well as power and handling that will make the Macan the "911 of utility vehicles".  

Testing will soon tell if they achieved this, but if they do, I agree with the strategy as who else should make the best handling utility vehicles (or large sedans for that matter)?  Audi has the quattro history and brand, and it also makes sense to leave this segment for those who would rather have permanent AWD and a tradeoff closer to all season utility.   Choice is good… it is very wise for the larger VW group to differentiate the variations of the same platform, and let buyers choose.  

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Spyderidol:

No. I didn't feel the earth move. It's ok. Nothing more. Nothing less. (maybe it will grow on me).

same here...sincerely i think better...i like a few  the front,not the side,and not the back...

Sure i need better pics to can judge...but i still prefer the look of the Cayenne.

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

it is still a photoshop. just look at the cut lines around the head lights...

dxpetrov:

Thank you!

The headlights are direct lifts from the 918 Spyder; there are no headlight washers and the Macan's lights have squared off casings. The taillights also look fake.

Oh well, we have the basic idea and I love the basic look. Cayenne lineage so it's far from being groundbreaking but the proportions suit it perfectly. A smaller Porsche, just how they were.

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S

thank you. tomorrow i will get the paper so we also can read the text.

The front looks fine, but the side profile reminds me of the Q3 which I very much dislike.!

They tried to give it more of a coupe look but that didnt work out well. Will have to see it in the flesh though...

--

turbolite

I need to see it in the flesh, but I don't feel overly excited.

Can anyone tell us a brief summary of the comments they make?

--

1987 911 Carrera 3.2 - 1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2012 Cayenne Diesel - 2013 Mini Cooper S - 1995 BMW318ti

ISUK:

The pics by Larson that featured in Autobild a long time back were right on the money.

Larson nailed the 991 and this one as well. can't belive he even got the side molding

--

2013 Lotus Evora S/ 2008 Cayenne GTS Manual

2012 991 C2S -PDK / 2010 997.2 turbo cab manual, sold //2008 RS 60 sold /04 C4S sold - 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

dxpetrov:

That's the reason why Porsche still keeps mouth shut about Macan.... Smiley

--

turbolite:

The front looks fine, but the side profile reminds me of the Q3 which I very much dislike.!

Exactely!

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

Spyderidol:
    CGX car nut:
    Spyderidol:

Better looking than the Q5. That is not hard to do.

If the Macan is that much lower than the Q5 then the design is somewhat more compromised, in terms of utility, and as a consequence, the Audi's design is more dictated by interior volume constraints.  Hence, the significant difference in appearances.  The designers of the Q5, therefore, had more constraints than the Porsche team.

I don't dispute that. The fact is that the Q5 is not attractive, regardless of the constraints. I'm also not saying the McCann is a stunning beauty.

I always thought the Q5 had the best rear-end styling of any SUV out there. And the profile is fine too. What lets it down is that monstrous nose. Especially on the V6 models, which get the brighter, even more in-your-face grill.

KMM:
    Spyderidol:
    CGX car nut:
    Spyderidol:

Better looking than the Q5. That is not hard to do.

If the Macan is that much lower than the Q5 then the design is somewhat more compromised, in terms of utility, and as a consequence, the Audi's design is more dictated by interior volume constraints.  Hence, the significant difference in appearances.  The designers of the Q5, therefore, had more constraints than the Porsche team.

I don't dispute that. The fact is that the Q5 is not attractive, regardless of the constraints. I'm also not saying the McCann is a stunning beauty.

I always thought the Q5 had the best rear-end styling of any SUV out there. And the profile is fine too. What lets it down is that monstrous nose. Especially on the V6 models, which get the brighter, even more in-your-face grill.

Range Rover, currently, leads across the model line in overall design quality that best represents an SUV. 

CGX car nut:
    Range Rover, currently, leads across the model line in overall design quality that best represents an SUV. 

Range Rover is the best SUV, period.

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

dreamcar:
    CGX car nut:

Gelandewagen G500 bulletproof, period Smiley

--

SportCarGroup:
    dreamcar:
    CGX car nut:

--

I've never wanted an SUV until I drove a new Range Rover Sport. 

Isn't the Range Rover more like the best LUV? Luxury Utility Vehicle?

Because I believe the best SportUV is the Cayenne...

--

There is no try. Just do.

rulesdontapply:
    . In my opinion, a modern classic with all the necessary elements to be a timeless design.

rulesdontapply

That's exactly what I think about the 991, it makes the 997.2 look old!! 991 is the perfect 911 design wise, so many opposite opinions here which is great Smiley

J.Seven

CGX car nut:
    SportCarGroup:
    dreamcar:
    CGX car nut:

--

Tells us about your RRS test drive!

Pentium:

Isn't the Range Rover more like the best LUV? Luxury Utility Vehicle?

Because I believe the best SportUV is the Cayenne...

Isn't this all semantics?

The most sporty vehicle that provides every day utility is probably the Panamera Turbo S: a large trunk covering most needs for most people most of the day, four wheel drive allowing people to go to most places most of the year while providing a level of agility that escapes the Cayenne.

The Range Rover existed before the term SUV and to me it is for its segment what  the 911 is for sports cars: the quintessential representative for its car category. 

I think we have different needs and desires and should buy what we like (or actually not buy a car at all because of ecological concerns but that a whole other discussion) but refrain from calling something 'the best [insert random car category some marketing expert at an automotive company invented here]'.

Hi all!

Just cancelled my Macan order option and ordered a Range Rover Sport.

Best

Gregor

--

-----------------------------------

991 C4S * BMW X6 4.0d

Sidney:

Hi all!

Just cancelled my Macan order option and ordered a Range Rover Sport.

You're not even going to wait for the official reveal? it's not that far away now. 

CGX car nut:

My wife and I had the same experience when we first drove the Cayenne - hated it until we drove it Smiley

--

SportCarGroup:
    dreamcar:
    CGX car nut:

--

If I wanted to drive in a war zone I would probably agree with you! Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    806561 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449516 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267042 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90446 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7206 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

887313 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    836142 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM