Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 spyshots thread (continued) (for UNRELEASED models only) Thread Closed

JAMS:

T O U C H E !

I have spent a lot of money on Porsches.. the rest I just squandered.

(Acknowledgment  to George Best for the original quote)

Seriously, when I add up the cost of the eleven Porsches I have owned, I have no regrets. In the scheme of things, it was not all that significant, given that it has been a life-long passion. I recently had lunch with an old friend who probably still has his first dollar; he never really lived. I worked for him in 1976 when I bought my first 911. He thought I was crazy; "you could buy a house with that", he said. (I eventually did buy a house, too). Now, with failing health, he reflected back and said, "You know, you did it right."

And, that is exactly how I want to exit this life... with the feeling that I did it right. Sorry... Need to get back to my new Turbo spec. now.. cheers! Smiley

+1

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

Well said. 

+1

--

Note to self: I DO NOT need a Turbo. 

amar1995:

I really enjoy this Fourm, but I do not post often.  This particualr subject has always been misunderstood in my opinion.  When you buy a highline car like a Porsche you are not buying transportaion, you are paying for an expirence.

If you are comparing apples to apples pick any modern production car that was built three years ago and look at a three year old Porsche and you will see that Porsche holds its value better than most.

With that in mind rememeber that all of these cars, low production or not are meant to be driven and enjoyed.  That is what  you are paying for.  If you are not driving it and you spend more time worring about the value, then don't buy itkiss

Very well said. Smiley Unfortunately, some people are buying cars just to...buy them, to own something very expensive, to show off. In that case, depreciation is important to these people because they may not be happy with their decision at some point and they want to sell the car. 

Just met a guy at my dealer yesterday who saw my 991 Turbo S. He ordered the same car. Then he asked the dealer: "Does my car have these yellow brakes too?" or "Do the front lip and rear wing on my car move that way too?" and other pretty weird (in my opinion) questions. He didn't seem to have a clue about what he ordered, he just wanted to fastest 911. Period. Unbelievable. When we said good-bye (this guy looked at my car for ten minutes), he looked me in the eye very seriously and told me: "I am going to destroy you in your car when my car arrives". I thought he made a joke but he didn't smile. Smiley My thought was: SmileySmiley

I guess that everybody here in the forum actually knows what he/she is driving and appreciates it. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:
    "I am going to destroy you in your car when my car arrives".

we call it small willy syndrome in England

sfo:
    RC:
    "I am going to destroy you in your car when my car arrives".

we call it small willy syndrome in England

Smiley I thought he meant it as a joke but he made a serious face and even afterwards, no smile. He is a competitive type of guy (has to do with his business I think) but it was kind of funny.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Porsche 984 Mid-Engined V8 Four-Seater...

Porsche-984-V8-Mid-Engined-Four-Seater_Car-magazine_Rennteam.jpg

Smiley SmileySmiley

Wow, that's what a Panamera should look like...

Agreed! - However, surely this is not the "FeFi". If it is, I don't want to see the "fight".

I don't see the point of such a car enlightened Either you have a comfortable sedan at la Panamera , which is sporty enough if you take the right options, or you have a sports car in which case you do not want a ' people carrier ' and have all that extra room and lenth .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Yes, This formula does not make much sense. If you are going to build a 700bhp low slung sports car, why would you hinder it with 4 doors and 2 extra passengers. Smiley However, It certainly looks better than the Panamera.

I've read that such a car, with rear doors similar to the Mazda RX8, exists somewhere at Porsche.

Perhaps, they are trying to invent a new niche cheeky

Given that VW Group,  might not want another Cabrera, R8 internal competitor and a Panamera coupe might conflict with the Bentley GT, Porsche's configuration options are rather limited.

--

"Form follows function"

Somehow it doesn't really look like a Porsche IMHO. yes

They only need a new 928... A proper 2-door, 4 seat GT. No need for other new models. 

--

Suzy

They need a mid-engine product that will allow them to produce a competitive motorsport product to take on the 458 (and future Ferrari motorsport products) without relying so heavily on BoP.  The GTE rules are going to change in 2015 and so I suspect that we will not see a Porsche "solution" to this issue until then.

SuzyF:

They only need a new 928... A proper 2-door, 4 seat GT. No need for other new models. 

How would this car be differentiated from the Turbo?

At the time of the 928, the 911/911 Turbo were basic and rather crude and abrupt, so there was room for it.

A modern 928 will end up as a Panamera 2+2 to compete against Bentley and Mercedes.

--

"Form follows function"

Spyderidol:

They need a mid-engine product that will allow them to produce a competitive motorsport product to take on the 458 (and future Ferrari motorsport products) without relying so heavily on BoP.  The GTE rules are going to change in 2015 and so I suspect that we will not see a Porsche "solution" to this issue until then.

This is the fans' opinion (including myself) and it would be great for motorsport.

But it will devalue the 911 partly at least and how it would  fit between the R8 and the Lamborghini might be a puzzle for VW.

--

"Form follows function"

Yes. This is a dilemma. On the other hand of course, the 911 will devalue as a motorsport product if it remains uncompetitive against other competitors, without the constant need for BoP. Porsche have lost a substantial share of the GTE motorsport market share to Ferrari. This was in the past a nice business that they relied on.  If it were not for the single make racing series (Porsche cups and Supercup) , I'm not sure that the excrement would have not already hit the fan. I fully comprehend Porsche's desire to maintain the 911 as competitive as possible for as long as possible (as their top GT motorsport product), but there are things that they cannot control. One of them is what the opposition does. If Porsche want to continue to provide a competitive motorsport GT product they will have to adapt. Anyhow, we will see what the new rules brings with them. It may not be necessary in the end (at least not for the foreseeable future).

reginos:
    SuzyF:

How would this car be differentiated from the Turbo?

At the time of the 928, the 911/911 Turbo were basic and rather crude and abrupt, so there was room for it.

A modern 928 will end up as a Panamera 2+2 to compete against Bentley and Mercedes.

A Panamera Coupe will do ;) That was exactly what I was talking about. The 911 Turbo is indeed more GT than it ever was, but still not a proper GT. It still is a sportscar with GT capabillities, rather than a GT with sportscar capabillities and no front engine.
    I would like to see something like the Ferrari FF, but designed as a coupe, not as a shooting brake.

--

Suzy

I envisage such a model too, but not just a 2 door Panamera styling-wise. A separate stunning design utilizing the Panamera  underpins.

--

"Form follows function"

1382183838538Porsche Calendar.JPG1382183930619Porsche Calendar misha funny 11.JPG

Porsche needs two more models: A 2 door GT ("Panamera Coupe")  but smaller, something  like the F12 but in different (engine/performance) flavors and a mid engined sport model, somewhere between the 991 Turbo S and the 918. 

I'm afraid however that with a Macan success, Porsche could be tempted with another model, some sort of baby Panamera, in the BMW 3 series, Audi A4 class.

--

RC:

Porsche needs two more models: A 2 door GT ("Panamera Coupe")  but smaller, something  like the F12 but in different (engine/performance) flavors and a mid engined sport model, somewhere between the 991 Turbo S and the 918. 

I'm afraid however that with a Macan success, Porsche could be tempted with another model, some sort of baby Panamera, in the BMW 3 series, Audi A4 class.

--

Would be nice indeed. 

--

- HS (Belgium)  -  '14 Porsche 991 GT3 (oct build) - '06 BMW 335I Coupe  

In an interview recently, Matthias Mueller said that there is a chance of a flat 8 supercar but no decision has been reached. According to the CEO, European markets are very weak and therefore the decision is held back.

i presume that the engine exists and probably running in a camouflaged 911 mule.

--

"Form follows function"

The potential sales volume for a smaller Pajun 5 seat car will far outstrip the market case for a vanity model like the mid engined 960 or 928 style Panamera coupe. VW will want Porsche to chase the volume first without a doubt. Enthusiasts may want them to make sports cars and coupes like their past but the emerging markets currently pay little heed to the history of a brand like Porsche and are more interested in status and luxury. Those buyers will win out.

Boxster Coupe GTS:

2014 Porsche 991 GT3 RS prototype testing...

...looks like the 991 GT3 RS is running on Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres! Smiley

2014 Porsche 991 GT3 RS prototype testing -- Gallery Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Any new pics of the RS or do we have to wait until the New Year? This is the best looking 991 by far :) wonder what colour combinations they will have. Hopefully even nicer than the 4.0.

You can see the 20'' rims at the front and the 21'' rims at the back . Dario's dealer seems right about this !

It looks quite imposing … hope the final product will look ' lighter' 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Sorry, it wont. I got same info about wheels 20"/21" from my P source. Also, current info is no RWS for RS. Why? Hmm... Gearbox...

hope wheels will be different...i don't like these...enlightened

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

KresoF1:

Sorry, it wont. I got same info about wheels 20"/21" from my P source. Also, current info is no RWS for RS. Why? Hmm... Gearbox...

You are saying it will also come with manual ?  Because the other reason that was mentioned for not having RWS was because of  race homologation  

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

The RS should have a wide gap in times compared to the normal GT3 to justify the image and the extra price. With manual that would have not been feasible. Manual was for the past.

--

"Form follows function"

Exactly. I don't see how the RS is going to be much faster with manual and no AWS... Or they will simply say that they had to do it this way for race homologation even if the car is not as fast...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690475 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409755 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255993 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235271 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65647 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858405 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774682 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM