Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: "Cajun" is now...MACAN Thread Closed

Under the camo, taillights still look like current Cayenne.  Hope not on actual car...

Wonderbar:

Under the camo, taillights still look like current Cayenne.  Hope not on actual car...

Sydney, look very carefully and imagine that the lights are "cut off" by the camouflage on the left and right. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Interior photo...

Porsche-Macan-560x373-aca850ef112edc9a.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC - Thanks for the picture of the interior. My wife is placing an order for a Macan and she has been most interested in seeing what the interior looks like.

--

2006 997 C2S Cab, Triple Black,  2013 Cayenne Dark Blue Metallic New York

918 steering wheel standard? looks very nice

the interior photo is only a rendering, so it will not be 100 pc accurate, but close...

--

turbolite

Hey RC,

Who do you have covering the LA Auto Show? As a legit. photographer, I will volunteer. We should be able to get a press pass for the unveiling.

--
    Porsche owner since 1975.

vtrader:

Hey RC,

Who do you have covering the LA Auto Show? As a legit. photographer, I will volunteer. We should be able to get a press pass for the unveiling.

I believe that Wonderbar will be there too. Smiley

These will sell like hot cakes ;) I hope that in one moment Porsche will offer this Macan S Diesel with tuned engine from Audi SQ5 (V6/313 HP)

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

that will be the new standard steering wheel, I suppose... and not only for the Macan... Cayenne restyling will have the same

--

2011 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Cabriolet PDK Basalt Black/Cocoa

2013 Aston Martin Cygnet 

LUPINN:

that will be the new standard steering wheel, I suppose... and not only for the Macan... Cayenne restyling will have the same

Knowing Porsche I guess it should read:

that will be the new optional steering wheel, I suppose...

Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

indecision

--

vtrader:

Hey RC,

Smiley If it would be up to me, I would really try to get much more access to official press events and similar stuff but I am only a humble servant of this community and have neither the time nor the knowledge/experience to make that happen. Smiley The owner of RT pays the bills and keeps this site up and running but everything else, well...I'm afraid we (me and the mods) are powerless. I try to share with you guys (almost) everything I learn on a private level from Porsche but officially, we are just another car forum I'm afraid. Even if I know for a fact that Porsche reads us and appreciates this forum. Officially, this isn't worth much I'm afraid. SmileyThanks for your offer btw..

--

Christian, it's only a matter of time before Porsche wakes up to the power of forum such as this. Look at BimmerPost. BMW have their marketing team participating in that forum and give information to the forum that has never been unveiled anywhere else. They are smart, it's the most direct form of communication with their current and prospective customers. 

I am planning to be at the LA Show during press days, "God willing and the creek don't rise".  On having influence, i would say that Porsche spokesmen and officials are professionals at staying with the company line.  For the most part I agree, since Porsche is extremely good at market research, pricing vis a vis competition, resource planning and product development.  Customer views most often do not have such considerations.

BUT, I do know personally that the simultaneous offering of the 991Turbo S and the 991 Turbo was at least in part the result of wealthy buyers complaining that they did not want to wait for the top of the line model.  These customers can pay and pay now.  And the new strategy seems to be working, as I know three good friends (admittedly a small sample size) who have ordered a Turbo S, and four if you count our esteemed founder! Smiley

Wonderbar:

I am planning to be at the LA Show during press days, "God willing and the creek don't rise".  On having influence, i would say that Porsche spokesmen and officials are professionals at staying with the company line.  For the most part I agree, since Porsche is extremely good at market research, pricing vis a vis competition, resource planning and product development.  Customer views most often do not have such considerations.

BUT, I do know personally that the simultaneous offering of the 991Turbo S and the 991 Turbo was at least in part the result of wealthy buyers complaining that they did not want to wait for the top of the line model.  These customers can pay and pay now.  And the new strategy seems to be working, as I know three good friends (admittedly a small sample size) who have ordered a Turbo S, and four if you count our esteemed founder! Smiley

Make that five Smiley

--

Suzy

Likewise, a couple of friends have ordered the Turbo S straight up. Question is though, are these just customers who would otherwise buy Turbos? So is Porsche really gaining anything here?

The "Turbo S" is a way of bundling a number of desirable options and offering them in a package that one can almost justify as being "good value."

Effectively it's a way to have more people pay for more options.

I, for one, fell for it on the 991...and probably will for the Macan too Smiley

By now, we should all know and understand the "bait-and-switch" nature of the regular and S models. I put bait-and-swtich in quotes because it is not an accurate description. But neither does "loss-leader" apply. In economic terms, this is simply a smart way of carrying out price discrimination and siphoning off consumer surplus.

Basically, people who can already afford the regular model with some options generally can also afford the S version. Most people end up getting the S version, even if grudgingly in some cases, because we know that the S version is really what Porsche should have put out there as the regular model already. Does Ferrari play these games with its customers? 

It is a crafty way of getting most everybody to pay the premium, while thinking they are getting something special in return. The $10,000 premium Porsche charges for a Boxster S over the base Boxster is most likely 90% pure profit. Good for them.

KMM:

By now, we should all know and understand the "bait-and-switch" nature of the regular and S models. I put bait-and-swtich in quotes because it is not an accurate description. But neither does "loss-leader" apply. In economic terms, this is simply a smart way of carrying out price discrimination and siphoning off consumer surplus.

Basically, people who can already afford the regular model with some options generally can also afford the S version. Most people end up getting the S version, even if grudgingly in some cases, because we know that the S version is really what Porsche should have put out there as the regular model already. Does Ferrari play these games with its customers? 

It is a crafty way of getting most everybody to pay the premium, while thinking they are getting something special in return. The $10,000 premium Porsche charges for a Boxster S over the base Boxster is most likely 90% pure profit. Good for them.

The 997, I'll admit was a no-brainer for S over standard Carrera. It needed PASM, 19" wheels & xenon lights. 991 however, isn't quite so compelling as the standard kit is OK and the engine is to my mind, more fun in the UK. I can imagine quite some thought being given to Macan specs right now at Porsche HQ. The Cayenne bog standard Diesel is the better selling car in UK and again, doesn't need a fortune spending on it (wheels aside) to get it to a sensible proposition. 

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

bridggar:
    KMM:

The 997, I'll admit was a no-brainer for S over standard Carrera. It needed PASM, 19" wheels & xenon lights. 991 however, isn't quite so compelling as the standard kit is OK and the engine is to my mind, more fun in the UK. I can imagine quite some thought being given to Macan specs right now at Porsche HQ. The Cayenne bog standard Diesel is the better selling car in UK and again, doesn't need a fortune spending on it (wheels aside) to get it to a sensible proposition. 

+1

I actually find the base 991 Carrera to be a lot more enjoyable than the 991 Carrera S. More manageable power than the bombastic nature of the S, a little more fun to work the 3.4L engine to extract the available power and the same fit, finish and quality of the higher model - and the same options list. It's all the sports car I really need when I think of the speed and handling I want on tap.

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S

I thought the 997 Gen 1 PASM dampers were far worse than the standard dampers and the 18" wheels provided a better ride with a more pleasant transition from grip to slip.   I haven't driven a Gen II non S 997 but PASM improved drastically on the S.

--

Gen II Cayman S

Truth is: If I would be a Porsche novice, I would probably get a simple 991 Carrera. No S, no Turbo S, just keeping it plain and simple. This gives a Porsche novice the chance to learn and love the 911 concept. Then, after a while, the way is open to 911 wonderland. I know this may sound weird but I really think that the 991 Carrera is a great entry to the 911 world.

--

Wonderbar:

BUT, I do know personally that the simultaneous offering of the 991Turbo S and the 991 Turbo was at least in part the result of wealthy buyers complaining that they did not want to wait for the top of the line model.  These customers can pay and pay now.  And the new strategy seems to be working, as I know three good friends (admittedly a small sample size) who have ordered a Turbo S, and four if you count our esteemed founderSmiley

Smiley

I'm always in for the good stuff... Smiley

Btw: I noticed that in the US, many customers seem to choose the regular 991 Turbo instead of the Turbo S. Maybe I'm wrong but I read a couple of posts in various Porsche forums and it seems that way?

991 Turbo S demand in Germany seems to pick up now, maybe because the first reviews are available and maybe also because the first cars hit the streets (and some larger dealerships).

Back to topic (Macan): I am seriously considering exchanging our Cayenne GTS for a Macan Turbo or Turbo S in two years, when the lease runs out. My wife isn't too much into traveling by car, she prefers planes. So we may not need a larger SUV anymore if the Macan has the right size for us.

I won't lie, the (substantially?) lower price tag (vs. the Cayenne) is also a reason I would go for the Macan instead. It would allow me to stick to a weekend fun car (911) while driving a nice Porsche family car (Macan) too.

Let's hope Porsche doesn't charge over 100k EUR for a well equipped Macan Turbo. Smiley

--

New spy photos, Macan Turbo with 21'' and ceramic brakes 

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-new-cars/Search-Results/Spyshots/Porsche-Macan-Turbo-2013-spy-shots-of-the-new-baby-super-SUV/

--

2013 Aston Martin Cygnet 

2015-Porsche-Macan-Turbo-17.jpg2015-Porsche-Macan-Turbo-14.jpg2015-Porsche-Macan-Turbo-08.jpg2015-Porsche-Macan-Turbo-04.jpg2015-Porsche-Macan-Turbo-02.jpg

--

991 Turbo S wheels? 

--

2013 Aston Martin Cygnet 

At some angles the car looks quite good. at other angles ; not so much.

Spyderidol:

Exactly.... Just like every Porsche.

--

Suzy

SuzyF:
    Spyderidol:

Exactly.... Just like every Porsche.

The 997 Carrera Coupe models especially the Gen 2 look good whatever the angle. No weak points IMO.

--

"Form follows function"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688265 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408601 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255489 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234712 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65349 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857476 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773197 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM