Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 Turbo S - Short Driving Report (owner)

I'm not trying to argue with you... all I'm saying is there was a discrepancy as well so it might be the same with the GT3...

991 GT3:
    If only I knew where I have seen those pictures. Sorry, I cannot remember where I have seen this. It was a series of pictures from Goodwood. (Correct me if I am wrong)

This can be a pre production model ofcourse.

Can anybody help me/us with this?

There you go . 991 GT3

Sans bbtitre.tiff

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Strang that it's not on the Turbo? Must be cooling issues?

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

Guys, ever heard of VTG chargers?  I don't want my car to be on fire at some point.  Porsche is, to my knowledge, the only car manufacturer to use this technology in a fuel  (non Diesel) operated car.

The car doesn't need an engine cover since aerodynamics is quite impressive and the best for it's class at higher speeds (no kidding). As soon as I put my hands on the technical documentation, I will post more details about that.

Regarding the tire "mole": This particular issue has been addressed with Pirelli quality control, so it won't happen again. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:

Regarding the tire "mole": This particular issue has been addressed with Pirelli quality control, so it won't happen again. Smiley

Will they replace both on the axle FOC?

--

"Form follows function"

JimFlat6:

Turbo S is a lot of money, there should be no interior trim identity issues and they shouldn't just merrily throw a cosmetically blemished tire onto a new $$$$$$$ car either.   Also look at the image that shows the "road" side of the engine. The electrical wire lead, its plug and receptacle are not covered by a boot. Its just left exposed to the elements. Dumb.

The tire is not really an issue, this happens pretty often and Pirelli is to blame, not Porsche. Pirelli guarantees a certain quality and Porsche just makes random quality checks on supplier parts as far as I know. This is a procedure similar to most car manufacturers worldwide.

The "open" electrical wire lead is, according to the information I got, no issue. Before something hits the wire lead, it will hit metal and/or a rubber duct before that Smiley, so no issue here. The part itself needs to be easily accessible.

No 911 Turbo has an engine cover, not even the very expensive 997 GT2 RS. Never has been an issue, aerodynamics are just fine and damage is unlikely, unless you lower the car (which of course isn't really recommended).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

reginos:
    RC:

Will they replace both on the axle FOC?

--

"Form follows function"

There is no need for replacement, the "mole" has no safety impact at all (and no, this doesn't come from my dealer, I wouldn't trust them with such information).

--

RC:
    JimFlat6:

Turbo S is a lot of money, there should be no interior trim identity issues and they shouldn't just merrily throw a cosmetically blemished tire onto a new $$$$$$$ car either.   Also look at the image that shows the "road" side of the engine. The electrical wire lead, its plug and receptacle are not covered by a boot. Its just left exposed to the elements. Dumb.

The tire is not really an issue, this happens pretty often and Pirelli is to blame, not Porsche. Pirelli guarantees a certain quality and Porsche just makes random quality checks on supplier parts as far as I know. This is a procedure similar to most car manufacturers worldwide.

The "open" electrical wire lead is, according to the information I got, no issue. Before something hits the wire lead, it will hit metal and/or a rubber duct before that Smiley, so no issue here. The part itself needs to be easily accessible.

No 911 Turbo has an engine cover, not even the very expensive 997 GT2 RS. Never has been an issue, aerodynamics are just fine and damage is unlikely, unless you lower the car (which of course isn't really recommended).

--

The aerodynamics may be fine, but cleaning up the underside, even at the rear, can optimize the entire aerodynamic package.  

CGX car nut:
    RC:
    JimFlat6:

--

The aerodynamics may be fine, but cleaning up the underside, even at the rear, can optimize the entire aerodynamic package.  

Well, since Porsche has its own wind tunnel on-site in Weissach with which it carries out its aerodynamic development work and has already taken the trouble to develop underbody cladding for the whole underside of the car as far back as the engine, it would appear to be a safe bet that the company's aerodynamics experts didn't suddenly stop there without looking into whether extending the cladding rearwards wouldn't lead to further improvements?  Smiley

--

fritz

Waterproof automotive connector plugs are less than 50 cents retail. Porsche must have a pressing desire to save money for not using one for that very exposed connection.indecision

993Targa:

The GT3 does not have two exhaust gas turbine housings which need to shed a lot of heat, so omitting the cladding under them on the Turbo will be a matter of promoting air flow around them to avoid cooling issues.  Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:
    993Targa:

The GT3 does not have two exhaust gas turbine housings which need to shed a lot of heat, so omitting the cladding under them on the Turbo will be a matter of promoting air flow around them to avoid cooling issues.  Smiley

Aren't the turbine housings water-cooled?  There's always an issue of cooling the compressed air charge, and that is via the intercoolers, and handled with the rear side vents.  

If the Porsche aerodynamicists used an engine pan for the rear diffuser on the GT3, that same system should be part of the Turbo aero package.  

Porsche's decision reeks of cost-cutting measures, which is inexcusable for any Porsche, especially for one as expensive as this car. 

CGX car nut:
    fritz:
    993Targa:

Aren't the turbine housings water-cooled?  There's always an issue of cooling the compressed air charge, and that is via the intercoolers, and handled with the rear side vents.  

If the Porsche aerodynamicists used an engine pan for the rear diffuser on the GT3, that same system should be part of the Turbo aero package.  

Porsche's decision reeks of cost-cutting measures, which is inexcusable for any Porsche, especially for one as expensive as this car. 

No they are not, and they give off far more heat than could be carried away by the air which could be flowed through a couple of vents cut into a cladding panel a la GT3.  In view of this, your other two points are redundant. 

--

fritz

I've always been very impressed with the Porsche aero engineering (and other aspects).  The cars are slippery with a low drag coefficient but also very stable at speed.  If they decided that the Turbo is OK without an under-tray then I would trust them

--

Gen II Cayman S

More photos. We had a wonderful day today and all I can say is that I haven't met anyone who could pass me indecision, not because of the lack of trying. Got some thumbs up from...motorcyclists, which is the biggest honor for me. Enjoy.

1381688233227tts1.jpg

Oil consumption? Well...none. Yet.

tts9.jpg

22.1 l / 100 km fuel consumption. Ouch. This happens when you toy around with motorcycles, various 911 (incl. 997 Turbo S), RS6 (new model), M6 (new model), tons of Boxsters and Caymans (they tried... indecision) and other cars whose drivers probably will be frustrated today.

tts2.jpg

Lake Ammer (Bavaria), enjoying cruising in a speed limited zone.

tts8.jpg

People seem to love the red leather, I got a lot of compliments today.

tts13.jpg

tts14.jpg

tts5.jpg

Beautiful view...Alps in background.

tts12.jpg

tts4.jpg

tts10.jpg

tts6.jpg

tts3.jpg

tts11.jpg

tts7.jpg

tts15.jpg

--

That is absolutely beautiful!  A question- is there any buffeting noise in the car at speed with the window down? Mine is bad over 70 mph unless I pop the sunroof or lower the other window a bit. Am hoping the sport mirrors correct that. 

RC:

Got some thumbs up from...motorcyclists, which is the biggest honor for me. 

Praise from the praise-worthy... Smiley

Central radiator seems vulnerable (will undoubtedly be resistant).

Red leather is absolutely wonderful !!! 

--

2011 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Cabriolet PDK Basalt Black/Cocoa

2013 Aston Martin Cygnet 

DuckieRS:
    Central radiator seems vulnerable (will undoubtedly be resistant).

The radiators on the GT2 models are in a similar position - they are remarkably robust. No problems - even if driven in the winter a lot Smiley

Great pictures of a beautiful car RC.

Is it me or do you have smaller license plates??

--

Suzy

RC:

tts14.jpg

Congrats, nice car Smiley

What kind of licence plate holder are using? Smiley

Are you happy with the LED headlights?

--

2011 Porsche 911 [997.2] Carrera 4S (Platinum Silver) {Sold}
    2013 Porsche Panamera GTS [970.1] (Basalt Black)
    2013 Porsche 911 [991.1] Carrera S (GT Silver)
    2014 Porsche 911 [991.1] GT3 (Agate Grey) {Delivery date: December 2013}

“The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively” ― Bob Marley

tts8.jpg

People seem to love the red leather, I got a lot of compliments today.

in germany, yes, i believe it. 

it is certainly a fast car.

p

Christian, will you measure the acceleration with V-box or smth like that?

Thanks RC! May you always travel quickly and never ever get a ticketSmiley Since you stopped off at Ruf....did you see the 3800S? any thoughts? and is Ruf going to ad the four wheel steering to his RT35? I must knowSmiley

Awesome pics, keep em coming !

In terms of acceleration, any significant difference from your old 997 Turbo?

--

2014 991 Turbo (on order, Nov Prod)
    2012 991 C2S w/Fabspeed SOLD
    2011 Ferrari 458 Italia Rosso Mondiale / cuoio
    2011 Turbo S Cab SOLD
    2010 BMW AH7 
    2010 Caddy Escalade
    2006 Cayman S First P car, SOLD

RC, you must be in car heaven with those red seats and oversized hips of the Turbo. kiss

Are you still going for the black wheels? I think they would make your S even more perfect.

Enjoy it and keep sharing those pics.

--

If I don't fly, I drive my .:RS 

Thanks, guys. wink

To answer a couple of the questions:

1. I cannot find my Performance Box (oh boy...wives), I assume my wife threw it away or one of the craftsmen working in our garage a couple of weeks ago took it. yes I had a couple of other gear in the garage (I keep it there because I usually need it once or twice per year), incl. a Hero cam but only the Performance Box seems to be gone. I will look for it next weekend, maybe it is somewhere but I already looked the day before yesterday and it was nowhere to be found. surprise I will get a new one, no doubt about it but since I cannot buy it locally, it may take a week or two until it arrives. Let's just hope the weather will be good enough for some trial runs. If not...next spring. yes

2. The license plate is indeed very short (and special). 

3. The license plate holder is actually the regular one, cut down to fit the shorter license plate. I will get a Swiss license plate holder when I am at my dealer for the winter wheels exchange around November, so it will look better then.

4. I am very happy with the LED lights. At night, the light is amazingly good. I usually put the lights into "P" mode (auto mode), so the lights adapt to traffic. Works quite well.

5. I don't remember my 997 Turbo too well but I remember the 997 Turbo S I drove in comparison a while ago and two things are obvious: Throttle response/turbo lag (excellent throttle response, basically no turbo lag) and sound (the 991 sounds really good over 3000 rpm and even better in the higher rev range over 6000 rpm). Also, the higher rev limiter makes more difference than I thought it would but one really needs to experience this first hand to understand. It is difficult to explain. This may be interesting for 997 Turbo S owners: From 240 kph on, the 991 Turbo S has 1.2 bar boost pressure all the way up and the raised overboost time also seems to make a difference. So far, I haven't noticed that the overboost actually shuts off, even after 20 seconds. indecision

6. I don't think I will paint the wheels in black, I actually think that the silver/black of the Turbo S rims goes very well with the agate grey exterior. I will think about it when I need a tire replacement but so far, I am happy with the silver/black of the OEM rims.

7. I drove with the driver window cracked open (aprox. 20%) most of the time, up to speeds of 150 kph and I haven't noticed any buffeting noise. Even if the sunroof is open, there doesn't seem to be any buffeting noise. In the past, I usually cracked open the co-passenger window to reduce that noise. Speaking of sunroof: I have the glass sunroof and why I think it looks great, the opening is pretty small for a sunroof, which was a surprise. I wish the glass would move further to the back but I guess it has technical reasons it doesn't. yes

Funny: I met a silver Porsche 991 when I took the photos, it was a Weissach test car (LB-XX). When he saw the camera, he stopped far away (I thought he is enjoying the view) and only drove past me when I entered the car. Stupid me, I didn't realize it was a factory test car until the car actually drove by. "Meeting" this Weissach car was a little bit unusual since I was aprox. 300 km away from Stuttgart. I guess Porsche test drivers enjoy nice weather too (it was Sunday, so no reason for being there).

--

First time since the 993 that I like the Turbo. kiss

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

993Targa:

First time since the 993 that I like the Turbo. kiss

Smiley Smiley

Here is an interesting comparison photo I found on a German website:

2013-10-13 035.jpg

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM