Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: New Range Rover Sport

The dynamic handling package is standard on both the HSE Dynamic and Autobiography models. It makes quite a difference to the car.

No mention on the US website of the "HSE Dynamic", the package is only on the supercharged version (standard on the autobiography).

Drove the new RR and I felt it was too bouncy compared to my Cayenne although very cosy and well finished 

SciFrog:

No mention on the US website of the "HSE Dynamic", the package is only on the supercharged version (standard on the autobiography).

It looks like Land Rover offer different trim levels depending upon the market. The only petrol engine we get in the car's home market is the V8 Supercharged for example. Germany gets a base S model that is not available here either etc.

Italo:

Drove the new RR and I felt it was too bouncy compared to my Cayenne although very cosy and well finished 

Well, it is supposed to be comfortable but the steering was actually the only thing which really turned me off. The truck felt heavier and less responsive than it should. Smiley

Btw: A friend in Miami seems to have to wait quite a while for his new supercharged RR to arrive, unless he would pay a premium (which of course he doesn't want to). In the speed limited US, the RR makes more sense than a Cayenne but on the other hand, you can enjoy a good steering/chassis setup even in speed limited countries.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Try driving an old one! I had one back in 1994 and before I replaced the steering shock with a better one you would hit a bump and the steering wheel would go 30 degrees each way while the actual wheels stayed straight!

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Mithras:

Try driving an old one! I had one back in 1994 and before I replaced the steering shock with a better one you would hit a bump and the steering wheel would go 30 degrees each way while the actual wheels stayed straight!

--

Don't tell me about it. When SUVs weren't really common over here in Germany, I always admired those RR drivers in their "cool" Off-Roaders. Before I got my first SUV, a Mercedes ML55 AMG (first model ever, I actually have very fond memories of that car), I testdrove a used RR and I was shocked how bad the steering felt. A ML with a V6 I testdrove on the same day felt completely different, more like a car. After I got the ML55 I never looked back, I loved it, perfect family car at a time when most people wouldn't even dream of a powerful V8 in an Off-Roader. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

I  almost bought one but went for a Z3 instead (don't ask!)

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

The RRS are in very high demand in the US. 3-9 months wait unless you pay a premium.

We have a RRS since 3 years which we love and we waited to upgrade to the new one. After having it as a test ride over the weekend I have to say it feels still the same to drive, maybe a bit refined (have to say we already have the Torque Vectoring/Dynamic Drive) but overall very much the same which is good - but not mind blowing. Exterior from front looks letter but already the side line has this Evoque appearance and the rear just looks cheap. The old one looked bold and majestic but that is gone.

Interior is a huge down. In front of the co-passenger seat, the dash has not any trim - just a huge piece of plastic. The old one had a tray and a second glove box - this car is just pale. Hardly any nice trim inside, lots of plastic. The Nappa-leather was exchanged with an artificial leather on the dash - very disappointing. 

Overall they striped down so many things - second glove box is gone, the rear seats are not fully flat fordable anymore, the clock on the dash is gone, the material is worse, the rear window cant be opened anymore..... clearly to see a cost-cut car for a little premium money compared the old. It feels like having a car in a lower class - maybe its appealing for former Evoque drivers but from the predecessor it doesn't make sense IMO.

Our problem now is - what to buy next, the RRS is off the list, maybe a Cayenne facelift, new BMW X5, Mercedes GL or even a Jeep Grand Cherokee - I don't know what to buy - what a luxury problem?!

Do you know when the Audi Q7 is coming out and how it will look? If the style is improved that would be an alternative.

--

"Form follows function"

Lars997:

Our problem now is - what to buy next, the RRS is off the list, maybe a Cayenne facelift, new BMW X5, Mercedes GL or even a Jeep Grand Cherokee - I don't know what to buy - what a luxury problem?!

I am in the same boat . I want a family car  .  I tried the new RRS but was disappointed, mainly form the engine . I did not like the diesel , the V6 petrol felt better , but I was actually looking for the diesel.

Next test will be the new X5 in december . Otherwise wait for the next Q7 , but I have no idea when it will be out ??

The GL is too big  ( ??? )   The Jeep looks actually very good but ... it' s a Jeep.

I also need the biggest space at the back and in the boot as I have 3 boys. ....

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Hey Gnil - 

RRS - I was driving the Diesel with 292HP - the petrol V6 we dont have in Germany :(

GL - I was driving the GL with the AMG pack - great looking car. It doesn't feel big at all. Indeed its the same size as my BMW 7 - so I didn't had any problem with handling it. Anyway - yes, it is very big. BTW - the ML looks not nice and its not an option.

X5 - we want to test drive in December, too. What keeps me away from the X5 - you see it on every corner, to common this car

Jeep - yes, the only problem, its a Jeep. But it feels fantastic - had the Diesel, the 5.7 and the 6.4ltr on a test day. The material appearance is very good and it comes with all gadgets you can think about. The outside look is nice and the car is kind of rare. Best of all - even the SRT with V8 and 470 HP costs almost half compared to the others Diesels. From what you save there you can buy all the petrol it will consume extra - so I wouldn't mind about the high running costs in that case - it's kind a bargain. BUT - it's a Jeep, that's the only down on this car for me. 

Audi - the current range is not an option and even the new Q7 I'm not sure about.... it's an Audi - for me it's the same than a Jeep - so if I could buy an Audi, I rather could buy an Jeep but that's my personal view - certainly, the cars have different images - but on both the image is the problem.

Image - In the area I live an Audi is a worker or a teacher car while the Jeep is a pimp or fitness trainer car. The RRS is an architect car and the GL the entrepreneur car while the X5 is the butcher car smiley

Lars997:

Audi - the current range is not an option and even the new Q7 I'm not sure about.... it's an Audi - for me it's the same than a Jeep - so if I could buy an Audi, I rather could buy an Jeep but that's my personal view - certainly, the cars have different images - but on both the image is the problem.

Image - In the area I live an Audi is a worker or a teacher car while the Jeep is a pimp or fitness trainer car. The RRS is an architect car and the GL the entrepreneur car while the X5 is the butcher car smiley

Smiley Who drives the Cayenne, then?

Other than image, the quality of Jeep is appalling. You cannot compare it to Audi's. 

--

"Form follows function"

Lars997:

Smiley  Smiley

Lars997:

This explains why I'm liking RR so much lately. Smiley

Lars997:

We have a RRS since 3 years which we love and we waited to upgrade to the new one. After having it as a test ride over the weekend I have to say it feels still the same to drive, maybe a bit refined (have to say we already have the Torque Vectoring/Dynamic Drive) but overall very much the same which is good - but not mind blowing. Exterior from front looks letter but already the side line has this Evoque appearance and the rear just looks cheap. The old one looked bold and majestic but that is gone.

Interior is a huge down. In front of the co-passenger seat, the dash has not any trim - just a huge piece of plastic. The old one had a tray and a second glove box - this car is just pale. Hardly any nice trim inside, lots of plastic. The Nappa-leather was exchanged with an artificial leather on the dash - very disappointing. 

Overall they striped down so many things - second glove box is gone, the rear seats are not fully flat fordable anymore, the clock on the dash is gone, the material is worse, the rear window cant be opened anymore..... clearly to see a cost-cut car for a little premium money compared the old. It feels like having a car in a lower class - maybe its appealing for former Evoque drivers but from the predecessor it doesn't make sense IMO.

Hi Lars. I'm very surprised to know you're so dessapointed with RRS? First time I hear someone complaining about quality! On RRS forums the diehards are crying for the poor design and resemblance with Evoque but  few mention the quality and interior as a down point, by contrary, even those who didn't like the exterior, found the interior to be good in all aspectsSmiley I didn't have the chance to drive and be in the new RRS, but I'm very curious to check all this points you mention on my first test drive. Do you have some pics of your RRS, would love to see it! I do find the previous RRS one the best looking SUV'S on the market, when it came out in 2005 it put the competition to shame design wise, but it started to look a bit dated nowadays.

J.Seven

J. Seven,  on your test drive...  See if you like the push it has around corners while accelerating.  You can feel the vectoring and diff come into play, but the effect I don't think has been maximized.  The car pushes or understeers with this weird feeling that the back end is coming around at the same time.    As I mentioned before, the car is overpowered as compared to it's cornering ability.   It definitely is not a porsche cayenne gts.  They will have to have additional lowering potential to get close to the way the gts feels.  And I have no doubt that they will try in the upcoming RRS-RS.

I read where a journalist experienced similar findings driving in the hills near Santa Cruz;   thought he had enough control and went into a fast turn and the abilities of the car dropped out, but was saved with the electronic stuff..

@JSeven: maybe I explained wrong. Its less the quality, its more the design and somehow material. The design is super boring and you can see they used just plastic where the old one had leather or wood. The build quality is still extremely high.

@Van: I never experienced that feeling but I have a diesel and don't drive it hard. Most of those cars in Germany are Diesel. The only petrol available is the supercharged and you see it on the street as rarely as a Porsche GT ;)

Lars997:

Stereotypes...I know but there is some truth in it. Unfortunately.

Speaking of the Cayenne: Most Cayenne drivers I know are in the IT business (surprisingly) and drive a Cayenne Diesel. Smiley Those driving Cayenne Turbos or GTS are usually owners of larger businesses or in one case, a construction mogul. I also know of some owners with ethnic (mostly turkish or arabic) background, jewelers, entrepreneurs, etc..

It is difficult to say: In some cities, you see tons of Cayenne, in others you don't.

Over here in Bavaria, the X5 is practically the Volks-SUV but I see more X3 than X5 now, so Porsche's idea of putting a smaller SUV, the Macan, on the market was definitely a very clever one.

RRs are usually owned by managers and bankers over here in my town, I know a guy who drives RR for over a decade now. He once owned a 997 Turbo Cab and now he drives a Bentley GT Cab..

--

Over here X3 & X5's are a dime a dozen and owned by anyone. Cayennes are nearly as plentiful and again owned by all manner of people, GTS & Turbos usually by men in their 40's or early 50's and in white collar business (Finance, Real Estate, etc.). RRS are either rich younger men (bad music and crooked ball caps mostly) or Yummie Mommies. You don't see a huge number of full sized RR's but they are usually older men.

GL's are family cars, ML's are a dime a dozen and driven by everyone as are Q7's (great lease rates).

X6's are purely the domain of 30-45 year old angry cocks.

--

Mithras:

Over here X3 & X5's are a dime a dozen and owned by anyone. Cayennes are nearly as plentiful and again owned by all manner of people, GTS & Turbos usually by men in their 40's or early 50's and in white collar business (Finance, Real Estate, etc.). RRS are either rich younger men (bad music and crooked ball caps mostly) or Yummie Mommies. You don't see a huge number of full sized RR's but they are usually older men.

GL's are family cars, ML's are a dime a dozen and driven by everyone as are Q7's (great lease rates).

How this transposes across counties.....

--

bridggar:
    Mithras:

It is amazing isn't it. Seems to be purely the domain of the wee willy no matter where you go. 

I've never seen a woman drive one and rarely seen a woman in the passenger seat who wasn't cringing.

--

bridggar:
    Mithras:

Add my country to that list. Sad because the X6 is nice, but it has taken on a very bad image. 

+1 here. I rather walk than drive one.

--

There is no try. Just do.

I see a few women drive them around here ............  I don't think they have a bad image here.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Goshhh angelyes.... what did I start here smiley

Gnil:

I see a few women drive them around here ............  I don't think they have a bad image here.

Here the X6 doesn´t have a bad image either.

J.Seven

It’s amazing really how BMW have gone from 3 styles (S,M,L) of 3 box cars in the 70’s/80’s (not withstanding the 6 series) to a plethora of models in 2013. (I just counted 21 in my head?) Yet just as consumers were labelled then (Junior manager – 3 series, Senior manager – 5 series & Chairman – 7 series) this greater choice of model seems to have reinforced the stereotype. Or perhaps now we simply have more labels for folks?

--

J.Seven:
    Gnil:

Here the X6 doesn´t have a bad image either.

J.Seven

Comparing Belgium with Switzerland, I think the X6 has a very bad image in Belgium, it really tends to be driven only by tasteless idiots, while in Switzerland I get the feeling regular people also tend to opt for the X6.

Strange...Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764384 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436535 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261053 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257974 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82644 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5329 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876902 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808967 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM