Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 Turbo S - Short Driving Report (owner)

RC:
    SuzyF:
    TomSilver:

After reading this great report, I think I'm a potential Turbo Cab customer. Unfortunately, my 991S is just two months old! When I ordered it, there was no sign that the Turbo Cab would come so soon. Even my dealer didn't know about it. After the Turbo Cab announcement, I called him a little bit angry and he swore that he was equally surprised as me.

The 991S is really fast on country roads, but for me personally it's no fun driving it on the Autobahn. The PDK is constantly switching between 5th/6th/7th gear, because the engine has not enough torque in the lower rev range. It's not that I need the absolute HP of the Turbo, for me, 400 is just enough. But I miss the low end torque that gives you a more relaxed driving.

Omg, I need a Turbo!

That's exactly the reason why I am considering one (a coupe) now over a C4S. It's just that I like the design of the C4S more. I love the clean lines of the design.SmileySmiley  Big dilemma!!Smiley

--

I'm just another female petrolhead :)

The 991 Turbo is kind of the macho man of the 911 line. I cannot say I like the wing but I surely love everything else about the car. A female petrolhead like you with such a car would certainly attract some attention, no doubt about it but think very well about getting one. This is a beast and you will be tempted. Most of the time. Smiley I won't start to lecture you about required driving skills, bla bla bla but you need to understand what you are getting into, if you choose a Turbo. Restraint is rule number one, especially on public streets. It isn't easy though, I have to admit. Smiley

Yep I know that. It is something to think about. I'm not worried about my driving skills though, but the fact that I'm female and because of that, attract attention in a car like that, does bother me somehow. Also, i think the car really is more of a masculine car than a C4S, so less suited for me.

One thing that is an advantage of the Turbo S, is that I "only" need CHF 27000 options on top of a CHF 270000 car to get the same as with my CHF 90000 on options on top of a CHF 150000 C4S. Most of that are interior and Exclusive options. So the eventual price difference is "only" about CHF 57000, where the base price difference is CHF 120000.

In terms of depreciation that would make a huge difference. Not that it is the most important thing to worry about, but it still counts.

--

TomSilver:

This was the reason that I got rid of all those 500+hp cars of my past. It was impossible to floor the right pedal without being a potential criminal. Maybe I have to wait for the 992. It is not that difficult to predict that it will have a smaller turbo engine. Maybe they introduce the downsized engine already with the 991 facelift, but I don't think so. It will be a hard hit for the so called Gusseisernen fraction here in Germany, but I think it's inevitable.  

I love the "note to self".  Smiley

I agree but you can be fast in every car. Yesterday, I had a (tuned?...car was loud, low, etc.) 996 Turbo encounter and this guy really provoked me (he turned around, he followed me...) but I kept it slow, not only because of the break-in. On public roads, I am very careful. This is actually why I love to drive with my son together. When he is with me, I am even less tempted to be too fast. I actually started to enjoy country roads. You don't have to be extremely fast to enjoy driving there. I have my favorite curves, my favorite places and it is a pleasure to drive there. Also, I am looking for challenges, like doing a curve at 80 instead of the previous 60. Of course everything within legal boundaries and I usually choose open country roads with almost no trees because they allow me to have a perfect overview about traffic, etc.. Autobahn? Well, I'm not so much into Autobahn driving anymore. Actually, I am sometimes really afraid to drive too fast because at over 300 kph, your chances to survive an impact are small. I usually drive only fast when there is only very little traffic but this isn't always possible. 

I enjoy driving around Lake Garda a lot and I also enjoy some mountain roads with lots of curves. They are perfect because you don't have to break the law to have fun. Usually the legal speed limit is 100 kph and it is almost impossible to be that fast on those narrow curves.

Bottom line is: You need a Turbo.  Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Suzy, I wouldn't worry too much about attracting too much attention. As a female Porsche driver, you will always attract attention. Smiley You should try to do a testdrive in a 991 Turbo and then make your decision. Just make sure the car doesn't have Powersteering Plus. I wish I had the option to delete Powersteering Plus from my Panamera Turbo S order, the steering actually made me get rid of this car. It was horrible at lower speeds, like driving a Mercedes S class.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

The Panamera and the Cayenne due to weight, might need extra steering assistance of PS+ for on the spot  maneuvres for tight parking etc. 
    However, in the next generation Porsche should make it switchable on demand. As it is it spoils the pleasure on tight  curves and roundabouts below 80-90 km/h.

--

"Form follows function"

RC:

Suzy, I wouldn't worry too much about attracting too much attention. As a female Porsche driver, you will always attract attention. Smiley You should try to do a testdrive in a 991 Turbo and then make your decision. Just make sure the car doesn't have Powersteering Plus. I wish I had the option to delete Powersteering Plus from my Panamera Turbo S order, the steering actually made me get rid of this car. It was horrible at lower speeds, like driving a Mercedes S class.

You have a point there hahaha. Although in a black Boxster, the attention it's manageable Smiley

I'm surely going to testdrive the car. Regarding the PSP, I already didn't like that on the regular C2S i drove at my first 991 testdrive almost a year ago, so I would never choose that option. Steering is not that heavy without PSP when driving slow IMO.

--

A 911 Turbo with a female driver attracting attention in Switzerland? Not unless she is naked! indecision

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

993Targa:

A 911 Turbo with a female driver attracting attention in Switzerland? Not unless she is naked! indecision

I was not planning to! Smiley Don't they put me in jail for that here in Switzerland??Smiley

--

993Targa:

I never saw a female driver in a 911 Turbo and I've seen many many 911 Turbo. 

Are Swiss women more emancipated or what? Smiley Smiley

--

Where I live close to Zürich at the sunny side of the lake, you probably have among the highest concentration of Porsches in the world. During the week a lot of woman drive their husbands 911 while he is making money. For them it's a practical car to drive into the city. So yes, a lot of woman in 911s and every now and then also a Turbo.

Of course I aggregated a bit, but most people don't see a difference between a 911 and a Turbo, so I don't think you draw too much attention. 

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

Most people can't see the difference between a 993 & 991. Blows their mind when you explain 993 evolved into 996, then 997 which became 991 and all are known as 911......

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

bridggar:

Most people can't see the difference between a 993 & 991. Blows their mind when you explain 993 evolved into 996, then 997 which became 991 and all are known as 911......

I'm afraid so. Yesterday I picked up my wife at her tennis club and one of her girl friends said: "Nice Porsche. Is that the new one?" I asked her what she means and she wanted to know if this is a new Porsche model or an older one because "they look all the same". Smiley Smiley She isn't into sports cars, her husband could easily afford a 991 Turbo S too but he drives a BMW 3 series Cab...with a Diesel engine. Fuel economy is important for him. Smiley

However, I have to say that at stop lights and when parking the car, people kind of notice the 991 Turbo S. When I got back to the car, the windows were full of fingerprints (I hate that... Smiley).

--

congrats, it is surely a good drive. and it definitely won't draw a crowd, just as you wanted it.  i just don't get the glass roof and the red interior but to each his own. drive safely, peter

RC:

When I got back to the car, the windows were full of fingerprints (I hate that... Smiley).

I admit to having done that. Smiley

Amazing looking car RC. I'd like to see more pictures of the interior. 

Rossi:
    Whoopsy:
    Germans. Form follow functions. The sunroof is only so wide so the black out would be the same width. Blending in the awkward angle is not high on the priority list.

If it were Italians doing it, the sunroof would be a a couple inches wider on either side to blend in with the cut line.

This is so true and such a shame. It would have cost them nothing extra just a few thoughts in advance. Such details can ruin the whole design, hope they'll get it right with the facelift.

Normally they do. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

unless the facelift starts with a total design reset they cannot get the turbo right. very strange that such good-looking cars as the boxster, the GT3 and - maybe to a somewhat lesser extent the C(4)S and the cayman stem from the same design team. but maybe they know the turbo customers very well, they might not even appreciate design subtleties and instead go for the function only. which is just as well...

993Targa:

Where I live close to Zürich at the sunny side of the lake, you probably have among the highest concentration of Porsches in the world. During the week a lot of woman drive their husbands 911 while he is making money. For them it's a practical car to drive into the city. So yes, a lot of woman in 911s and every now and then also a Turbo.

Of course I aggregated a bit, but most people don't see a difference between a 911 and a Turbo, so I don't think you draw too much attention. 

Same in Chicago,  I probably see more women behind the wheel of a 911 than men.  

I live in a part of Germany (the Ruhrgebiet) where you don't see so many 911s, especially 991s. When my wife drives the 911 alone, she always gets comments on every tank stop. Fortunately, only positive. Mostly middle-aged men trying to make intelligent compliments about a beautiful women in a matching car and so on. Obviously, this is a different environment as Zürich.

--

Note to self: I DO NOT need a Turbo. 

i just asked my wife what it is like when she drives the F458 on her own. she said no problems except that some VW golf and black carreras (she can't tell a 997 from a 991) overtake her and change lane back to where she is, right before a traffic light.---)))

peter

On this side of the pond, the major issues are with middle-aged guys in minivans - they think that the must race and cut-off any and every sports car.  I'll toy with them until I finally become bored, or there's a tight curve ahead with no traffic.  

In Belgium this used to be quite different.

The 996 and 997 models used to be all over the streets of Belgium when they came out. heartThen there was the economic crisis and eventually there was a new government (this took a recordbreaking 541 days)  and those communists decided to tax the luxury (company) cars!

Only registration costs for private individuals to a maximum of around a little more than €10.000. But they decided to tax more on company cars. On top of the registration costs they introduced a tax of approx. 26% on list price. Every year! This came in very heavy.

The high taxes on company cars were changing the car scene on the street. Before everything was possible. Have 4 cars on the company for example Ferrari's, Bentley's and MAINLY Porsche's were the result of that. Ofcourse every wife was driving a 997 version and the guys went even more crazy.

When you used to see a 996 when it came out it was a guy. The 997 generation all the carrera guys who used to own the 996 changed to the 997 Turbo and the women got the 997. When the Bentley GT came out a lot of the 997 Turbo's were suddenly gone and traded for the Bentley or F430.

After the new taxes everything changed. The result is quite drastic. You really don't see a lot of sportscars on the roads  nowadays. 

991's are starting to get here now. Still not much. The 991 Carrera S is even more rare then a 997 Turbo used to be. But the days 'everybody' owned a Porsche are definitely passed. Maybe when the Macan will arrive. 

991's are not ultra rare as for example a Lambo or McLaren is nowadays but for me that's just fine. Luckily they are still socially accepted in the way they were. You only have a more precious gem nowadays. 

--

- HS (Belgium)  -  '14 Porsche 991 GT3 (oct build) - '06 BMW 335I Coupe  

991 GT3:

In Belgium this used to be quite different.

The 996 and 997 models used to be all over the streets of Belgium when they came out. heartThen there was the economic crisis and eventually there was a new government (this took a recordbreaking 541 days)  and those communists decided to tax the luxury (company) cars!

Only registration costs for private individuals to a maximum of around a little more than €10.000. But they decided to tax more on company cars. On top of the registration costs they introduced a tax of approx. 26% on list price. Every year! This came in very heavy.

The high taxes on company cars were changing the car scene on the street. Before everything was possible. Have 4 cars on the company for example Ferrari's, Bentley's and MAINLY Porsche's were the result of that. Ofcourse every wife was driving a 997 version and the guys went even more crazy.

When you used to see a 996 when it came out it was a guy. The 997 generation all the carrera guys who used to own the 996 changed to the 997 Turbo and the women got the 997. When the Bentley GT came out a lot of the 997 Turbo's were suddenly gone and traded for the Bentley or F430.

After the new taxes everything changed. The result is quite drastic. You really don't see a lot of sportscars on the roads  nowadays. 

991's are starting to get here now. Still not much. The 991 Carrera S is even more rare then a 997 Turbo used to be. But the days 'everybody' owned a Porsche are definitely passed. Maybe when the Macan will arrive. 

991's are not ultra rare as for example a Lambo or McLaren is nowadays but for me that's just fine. Luckily they are still socially accepted in the way they were. You only have a more precious gem nowadays.  

One of many reasons for me to move, with my business, from Belgium to Switzerland, after having fled from Holland to Belgium for almost similar reasons ;)  i will not look back!

--

Suzy

I totally agree on that Suzy! Can imagine myself doing the same in the future if don't start going the right way(politically). Horrible that they tax people and give it away to people who do not want to work. For the record: up to €1200/month. Smiley This is a totally different discussion though. 

But to stay ON-topic: If only they invested that tax money back in the roads. I guess our roads are the worst in western-Europe. Smiley  

--

- HS (Belgium)  -  '14 Porsche 991 GT3 (oct build) - '06 BMW 335I Coupe  

Any updates on the badging in black?   Please post pics as soon as it is installed !    Did you go for matte black or gloss black for the lettering?   Looking forward to seeing the black badging on an Agate Grey

--

2014 Carrera S - on order- October allocation!

2009  997.2  Carrara White/ blk

2013 BMW 328i Sport (mineral grey/black)

06 987S Seal Grey/blk/blk  (gone but not forgotten!)

Louis:

Any updates on the badging in black?   Please post pics as soon as it is installed !    Did you go for matte black or gloss black for the lettering?   Looking forward to seeing the black badging on an Agate Grey

Badges were ordered, they arrive this week but they need to be painted in (matte) black. I decided against glossy black because the exhaust pipes are painted in matte black and the agate grey has kind of a matte look under darker light conditions...or when the car is dirty (as it is right now the case).

Regarding Agate grey and the black/Carrera red bi-color interior: It is beautiful and much better than expected. I guess it is a matter of personal taste, it would be boring if everybody would have the same taste. Smiley

--

Enmanuel:
    RC:

When I got back to the car, the windows were full of fingerprints (I hate that... Smiley).

I admit to having done that. Smiley

Amazing looking car RC. I'd like to see more pictures of the interior. 

Maybe I should put a sticker like that on my car. Smiley (sorry, Suzy Smiley)

x1380425549.jpg.pagespeed.ic.tbmp-xTSTT.jpg

--

Left-field thought: you already have red in your car, ever thought how the lettering would look in red?

Kimi:

Left-field thought: you already have red in your car, ever thought how the lettering would look in red?

I thought about getting the "S" painted in red but the whole lettering? A bit too playful I'm afraid. Smiley

--

The S in red the other letters in black would be nice (both in matte color).

Congratulations RC! Excellent car, nicely specced!

zzboba:

Congratulations RC! Excellent car, nicely specced!

Thank you. Smiley

--

RC:

Stupid question: Does anyone know what this could be? Looks like a harmless manufacturing flaw but I want to be sure? It is round, seems to have a cut halfway and when I move my finger over it, it feels very hard.

tire.jpg

OK, guys...false alarm. This is just a minor visual production (Pirelli) flaw with no impact whatsoever regarding product safety.  Good to know, I learned something new. Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM