Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 Turbo S - Short Driving Report (owner)

Stupid question: Does anyone know what this could be? Looks like a harmless manufacturing flaw but I want to be sure? It is round, seems to have a cut halfway and when I move my finger over it, it feels very hard.

tire.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:
    reginos:
    RC:
    Also, in Sport Plus mode, the front lip and the rear wing are deployed and while the car looks great that way, I just feel stupid driving around that way through the city. Smiley
    RC, do you mean that the front active spoiler is only deployed in Sport Plus mode? Or that it is deployed at a lower road speed than in other modes?

--

"Form follows function"

In Sport Plus mode, the front lip and rear wing are fully deployed to performance mode. The lip and wing do not retract when going slower or when coming to a stop, which in my opinion is a problem. On the other hand, I highly doubt that anyone will drive in Sport Plus in the city, it just doesn't feel right (much "worse" than on other 911 models with Sport Chrono). 

You can always deploy/retract the front lip and rear wing by pressing a button. 

In Sport mode, the active aerodynamics work only at higher speeds and I'm not sure (have to read it in the manual) if the third stage (performance mode) is deployed in Sport mode.

Thank you! You can hardly drive in Sport Plus on the open road, never mind in the city.

--

"Form follows function"

RC:

Stupid question: Does anyone know what this could be? Looks like a harmless manufacturing flaw but I want to be sure? It is round, seems to have a cut halfway and when I move my finger over it, it feels very hard.

tire.jpg

It's harmless. It's just a replaceable insert in the mould. For instance, to allow changes to be added later, like additional lettering or numbers. It's just like the oval date stamp insert next to it, which has to be changed every time a new batch of tyres is made to correct the production week number. 

--

fritz

Great reading your impressions RC, your car looks absolutely stunning, what a mean and butch looking car the 991 Turbo is. Very jealous! Smiley

fritz:

It's harmless. It's just a replaceable insert in the mould. For instance, to allow changes to be added later, like additional lettering or numbers. It's just like the oval date stamp insert next to it, which has to be changed every time a new batch of tyres is made to correct the production week number. 

Thank you. Smiley What is weird is that the other tires don't have it. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

@RC. You haven't commented on the PCCB brakes. How do they compare to steel on your  previous 91s or other 91s you have driven? Efficiency, feel, wet road performance etc.

--

"Form follows function"

RC:
    fritz:

Then it might be be a rather poorly executed repair in the surface of just one particular mould, due to a mark or local damage to its surface.  Smiley
    It won't have any influence on the integrity of the tyre. 

--

fritz

fritz:
    RC:
    fritz:

Then it might be be a rather poorly executed repair in the surface of just one particular mould, due to a mark or local damage to its surface.  Smiley

I think the worker must have dropped a coin in the mould Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

@RC. You haven't commented on the PCCB brakes. How do they compare to steel on your  previous 91s or other 91s you have driven? Efficiency, feel, wet road performance etc.

They feel like any other PCCB brake I drove before, very firm and precise brake feel. Even the squeaking noise is still there at certain temperatures. Smiley I got the feeling that they work a little bit better in the wet than before, I suppose Porsche/SGL Carbon improved the mixture. Also the material looks as if there are hundreds of tiny cracks, so maybe something is different (or maybe I just didn't pay attention to the surface of my Panamera PCCB brake discs).

--

reginos:
    fritz:
    RC:
    fritz:

Reminds me of the story of a Ferrari F1 team worker dropping a mechanic's steel rule into a mould when a F1 carbon fibre tub was being laid up, and it got moulded into it. It was only discovered when the very expensive monocoque was finished, after having been baked in the autoclave, and it had to be scrapped due to the risk of the foreign body weakening the tub.  

Maybe he went to Pirelli after being fired by Ferrari?  Smiley

--

fritz

More photos (sorry, better and much more interior photos without flash in a few days).

Click on the photos for larger versions.

tt9.jpg

The Carrera red is not that bright, it just looks that way because of the flash.

tt8.jpg

A look under the engine.

tt7.jpg

1381141449057tt6.jpg

I hate the key. Seriously? The same key they use on the Cayenne? Way too bulky and heavy. Just imagine two of these in my pocket. Oh boy... enlightened In the modern age, one would think that a slim key, credit card sized or whatever, should be possible.

1381141574413tt5.jpg

I love the red stitching (steering wheel). 

1381141599669tt4.jpg

Fun to look at but only once. I wish this display and the following others would be available in the PCM too, for the enjoyment of the passengers. The driver won't look at this very often.

1381141667007tt3.jpg

1381141681878tt1.jpg

1.13 g lateral GF... smiley. Haven't even tried hard (break-in).

1381141878800tt2.jpg

I wish Porsche would have added something special to the Turbo/Turbo S, some sort of digital speedo cluster with different fascias/themes or whatever but it still looks good.

--

The turbo fascias are slightly different from the Carrera (S). A fine chrome trim around the guages broken heart

--

I'm just another female petrolhead :)

RC:

tt8.jpg

Hmmm - no oil leakage yet Smiley

Actually it looks quite clean after 600 km.  

--

fritz:
    reginos:
    fritz:
    RC:
    fritz:

Reminds me of the story of a Ferrari F1 team worker dropping a mechanic's steel rule into a mould when a F1 carbon fibre tub was being laid up, and it got moulded into it. It was only discovered when the very expensive monocoque was finished, after having been baked in the autoclave, and it had to be scrapped due to the risk of the foreign body weakening the tub.  

I found a screwdriver under the floor carpet of the last Alfa Romeo I owned. Honestly!

--

"Form follows function"

fritz:

My first 996 Turbo, I got the dealer's first car  Smiley, had Pirelli PZero tires and after a couple of days, the rear tires (not sure, maybe the front tires, I cannot remember anymore) had a couple of tiny (very superficial) cracks of aprox. 2-3 cm length in the sidewalls. It took a while until a Pirelli(!) engineer came over to check the tires and without any explanation to me, he ordered two new tires for that particular axle.

The new tires were OK but it kind of lowered my sympathy for Pirelli. I was also very angry that I got no explanation, neither from Pirelli or Porsche.

This is why I am a little bit worried.  Smiley

--

reginos:

I found a screwdriver under the floor carpet of the last Alfa Romeo I owned. Honestly!

That was just part of the standard equipment! Smiley

--

SuzyF:
    reginos:

That was just part of the standard equipment! Smiley

... in case you could not open the door the usual way to get to the other tools in the back of the car...

Stupid question: Do you still have your Ferrari or never again? 

--

reginos:
    fritz:
    reginos:
    fritz:
    RC:
    fritz:

Well, the Ferrari incident I mentioned was over 20 years ago, so he had plenty of time to work for Alfa in between Ferrari and Pirelli.  Smiley

--

fritz

600+ miles since Saturday? At least it's getting a workout! I've only ever been a fan of black leather interiors however I'm really warming to the idea of something else next time. This bi-colour combination looks really nice since the carpets are still sober. 

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

RC:

Stupid question: Do you still have your Ferrari or never again? 

The answers are: no and yes Smiley

bridggar:

600+ miles since Saturday? At least it's getting a workout! I've only ever been a fan of black leather interiors however I'm really warming to the idea of something else next time. This bi-colour combination looks really nice since the carpets are still sober. 

600 km, not miles but still, not bad, considering the very bad weather (lots of rain) over the weekend. Smiley

--

After reading this great report, I think I'm a potential Turbo Cab customer. Unfortunately, my 991S is just two months old! When I ordered it, there was no sign that the Turbo Cab would come so soon. Even my dealer didn't know about it. After the Turbo Cab announcement, I called him a little bit angry and he swore that he was equally surprised as me.

The 991S is really fast on country roads, but for me personally it's no fun driving it on the Autobahn. The PDK is constantly switching between 5th/6th/7th gear, because the engine has not enough torque in the lower rev range. It's not that I need the absolute HP of the Turbo, for me, 400 is just enough. But I miss the low end torque that gives you a more relaxed driving.

Omg, I need a Turbo!

TomSilver:

After reading this great report, I think I'm a potential Turbo Cab customer. Unfortunately, my 991S is just two months old! When I ordered it, there was no sign that the Turbo Cab would come so soon. Even my dealer didn't know about it. After the Turbo Cab announcement, I called him a little bit angry and he swore that he was equally surprised as me.

The 991S is really fast on country roads, but for me personally it's no fun driving it on the Autobahn. The PDK is constantly switching between 5th/6th/7th gear, because the engine has not enough torque in the lower rev range. It's not that I need the absolute HP of the Turbo, for me, 400 is just enough. But I miss the low end torque that gives you a more relaxed driving.

Omg, I need a Turbo!

I think you do. Smiley Even if the Cab adds 70 kg weight, the car is so powerful. Also, the AWS seems to do wonders regarding steering and chassis feel and there is no understeer. The car behaves neutral most of the time and in the worst case scenario, your rear comes softly. Very nice setup.

Relaxed driving? I barely drive the Turbo S above 2000 rpm and this is no joke. If you really want to keep it relaxed (and you're still not really slow doing that), the rev jumps to 2000 rpm and PDK upshifts in auto mode. Usually, I was driving between 2000 and 3000 rpm and the car was really fast. Sport mode has a perfect setup, throttle response is very good and the PDK still upshifts fast when you don't press the throttle too much.

To be frank: I can hardly find something "serious" to criticize on this car. My first 911 Turbo (996) didn't have enough power. My second 911 Turbo (997) had lots of understeer and even more oversteer, it was like driving a 911 Carrera with way too much power. Now the new 991 Turbo S feels like a more comfortable GT3 with huge power and no apparent performance flaws at all. Yes, more power is always nice of course but trust me, you won't really feel the need for more power once you drive it. Unless you plan to do drag racing runs vs. other direct competitors. Smiley

I'm curious to hear some opinions after some testdrives of other people.

--

TomSilver:

Omg, I need a Turbo!

That's exactly the reason why I am considering one (a coupe) now over a C4S. It's just that I like the design of the C4S more. I love the clean lines of the design.SmileySmiley  Big dilemma!!Smiley

--

SuzyF:
    TomSilver:

Omg, I need a Turbo!

That's exactly the reason why I am considering one (a coupe) now over a C4S. It's just that I like the design of the C4S more. I love the clean lines of the design.SmileySmiley  Big dilemma!!Smiley

--

The 991 Turbo is kind of the macho man of the 911 line. I cannot say I like the wing but I surely love everything else about the car. A female petrolhead like you with such a car would certainly attract some attention, no doubt about it but think very well about getting one. This is a beast and you will be tempted. Most of the time. Smiley I won't start to lecture you about required driving skills, bla bla bla but you need to understand what you are getting into, if you choose a Turbo. Restraint is rule number one, especially on public streets. It isn't easy though, I have to admit. Smiley

--

How are you pleased with  build quality(apart from that sunroof rattle)?

This was the reason that I got rid of all those 500+hp cars of my past. It was impossible to floor the right pedal without being a potential criminal. Maybe I have to wait for the 992. It is not that difficult to predict that it will have a smaller turbo engine. Maybe they introduce the downsized engine already with the 991 facelift, but I don't think so. It will be a hard hit for the so called Gusseisernen fraction here in Germany, but I think it's inevitable.  

--

Note to self: I DO NOT need a Turbo. 

KresoF1:

How are you pleased with  build quality(apart from that sunroof rattle)?

Surprisingly, the sunroof rattle (if it was the sunroof) disappeared. Smiley Weird.

Build quality seems to be first class, no issues so far. I haven't checked the leather with my reading glasses though, so maybe I should do that. Smiley

I am also surprised about the oil consumption: All my previous 911 Turbo (996 & 997) had a pretty high oil consumption. During break-in, I usually have to fill up oil every 500 km or so (at least two levels under the max level).

Now I have over 600 km in the 991 Turbo S and the oil level is still at max. 

I noticed the typical PCCB brake squeaking appearing from time to time (yesterday, when it was dry) but it wasn't that bad.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691006 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410144 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256201 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235408 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65744 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858796 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775107 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM