Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 Turbo S - Short Driving Report (owner)

hunterone:

Congrats :)

Please also some Interior shots. Thanks

Sorry about that, I will post interior shots over the coming week. We have horrible weather here, mostly rain and fog and I cannot take shots outside and the flash interior shots in the garage don't really look good (the red leather looks way brighter than in reality). Give me a couple of days, the weather is supposed to improve tomorrow. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

conner:

Congrats Christian!
    Very nice car ... but the Sunroof is .

Best regards,
    Peter

1381049707634image.jpg

Hi, Peter. Nice to hear from you again. Smiley

Your car still looks beautiful, I have to give you that. Smiley

Regarding the sunroof: I actually like the (black) contrast to the agate met. exterior, this is why I ordered it. Seems not everybody likes it. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Congrats RC, what a nice car. Waiting for more interior photos...

Congrats, very nice.

I hope your son enjoyed his kart event yesterday while the real beast was waiting outside

Congrats RC! it really is a beautiful car and your review is very nice and complete.

Your pictures and review actually make me considering a Turbo. I've never been a fan of the 911 Turbo in general, but I have to admit that you are making me very curious ;) In the right color, the car looks absolutely good and the part you describe about the low end torque is what really makes me want to testdrive it. It's that what I love so much about powerful diesel cars. The smoothness of driving "relaxed" at low revs and still have the feeling of being fast. The Carrera (4)S is already a kind of jekyll and hyde if you switch from normal to sport or sport+, but it lacks a bit of low end torque.  When driving up twisty mountainroads with lots of hairpins, it's sometimes nice to be able to do that in a relaxed driving style, instead of only a sporty driving style (like i have to do with the Boxster S). I very much like driving sporty, but I also like driving relaxed sometimes. Still think the C4S is the best looking 991, but now I could see myself driving a Turbo (S) or even maybe a cab version....

Thanks ;)

--

I'm just another female petrolhead :)

RC:
    Thanks, Lars.

Yes, PDK in the 997 was never really fun to shift manually but it is now. Glad you are happy with your choice as I am glad to be happy with mine. Not sure why so many people seem to dislike the 991. Smiley

I have to say it grows every single day on me. I have now 6500km driven and the more I use it the more I love it. Anyway - still not happy with the sound, the 997 was just so beautiful. Second - the 997 you can reach easier the limits and so you have a bit more Adrenalin, especially on the country roads around my house where I know every little corner - with the 991 you hardly can reach any limit - the chassis is just to perfect. Anyway - the more I drive the 991 the more I love it and also choosing a Coupe was the right thing to do. Never thought I could enjoy it so much and before I don't move to Florida or California I will not buy a Convertible anymore!

I'm sure the Turbo S of your is also a complete different story. Not only the insane power, also the AWS, etc. will make it behaving even more perfect! keep on driving!

Itsme:

Congrats, very nice.

I hope your son enjoyed his kart event yesterday while the real beast was waiting outside

The birthday party actually never happened, the heavy rain prevented it. The kart circuit we planned to use was a little bit "flooded" with water (not much but they called us on the phone to warn us) and we decided to postpone the birthday party because of the involved risk. With a bunch of 10 year olds driving karts at speeds up to 60 kph, we just didn't want to take the risk of a serious injury. It is one thing in the dry but when the track is a little bit wet. Smiley We didn't find anything else to do on short notice, so no birthday party on Saturday. However, my son drove with me over six hours in the car yesterday, my wife was already mad at him but he didn't want to leave. Smiley So I guess it was a good "party" for him after all anyway. Smiley

--

RC, regarding the chassis height; do you think that it lowers when switched to sport or sport plus mode while driving then returns to a resting position when the car is turned off?  Somewhat like the Cayenne's do with their ride height leveling and adjustment.  

Congrats, RC. The color suit the car perfectly. I enjoyed reading your report.

RC, How would you compare the steering of your turbo s to the 997 turbo s in low speed (parking, u turns ... So on). Is the steering feel heavier, lighter or the same. I don't want to add park assist to my order, but if it's heavy then I need to think about it.

conner:
    Congrats Christian!
    Very nice car ... but the Sunroof is .

Best regards,
    Peter

1381049707634image.jpg

These are very nice rims! Smiley

Regarding the new glass sunroof, I think it looks ugly with light colours like white or (unfortunately) silver, but with Christian's grey, of course with black and also blue it looks alright. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

orsi2003:

RC, How would you compare the steering of your turbo s to the 997 turbo s in low speed (parking, u turns ... So on). Is the steering feel heavier, lighter or the same. I don't want to add park assist to my order, but if it's heavy then I need to think about it.

I meant Power steering Plus.

The steering feel is at least the same or heavier, difficult to say. It is not something you are going to be annoyed with when driving slow but it definitely is much heavier than with Powersteering Plus. I drove my last 997 Turbo S over two months ago, so it is difficult to give you a precise answer. If you have a medical condition (the guy I met at my dealership had severe joint pain (arthritis?), so he ordered Powersteering Plus) or if your wife drives the car too, maybe Powersteering Plus isn't bad at all.

Regarding chassis height: No, the 991 Turbo S does not have an air suspension (similar to Cayenne or even Panamera). Ride height is always the same.

Sport Plus is almost undriveable on public roads, tried today (it was finally dry outside!!!) and the rev figure is way too high for use on public roads. I didn't rev above 5000 rpm but I didn't have the feeling that it would upshift any time soon, so... enlightened The engine/exhaust sound is pretty loud over 4000 rpm, so you don't want to drive that way on public roads, unless you enjoy getting the middle finger or a fist shown to you.  Also, in Sport Plus mode, the front lip and the rear wing are deployed and while the car looks great that way, I just feel stupid driving around that way through the city. Smiley

I had also some weird encounter today: There was smoke coming out of the left front wheel arch (and a tiny bit from the right too). I mean visible smoke, as if someone is smoking, not scary huge fire smoke. Shortly before that, I took a 100° right curve at a pretty high speed (120 kph angry), the G-Force meter showed 0.99 g (not sure if this is good, I haven't really tried hard...photo will follow). I suppose this was some vulcanization rubber which came off the new tires and since this was the first time I was actually driving on a really dry road, I think that vulcanization layer from tire  production came off and it started to smoke and to smell like burned rubber. I checked the wheel arch and the wheel for anything else, also looked a little bit under the car, nothing wrong. Then I drove another 30 km or so and no more smoke, so I guess this was it. A bit scary though. I am going to let my dealer check on it next Wednesday, just to be safe but everything seems to be OK. Apparently the tires weren't really "broken in" after 400 km, probably because of the wet streets, so the vulcanization rubber layer didn't come off.

Also something interesting (and quite annoying): The tire pressure was set to comfort levels (speed limit 270 kph). I wasn't to drive 270 kph or faster before break-in but still, you don't give a customer a car with the wrong tire pressure, especially since my dealer knows that I'm always driving as fast as possible.

I also played around with the AWD and Performance displays in the speedo cluster but there are more of a gimmick. They should be available through the PCM too, to entertain the passengers but for the driver, they are quite useless. The G Force meter is however a nice feature, not really important but it saves the highest value and you don't have to activate it. Nice.

Regarding the glass roof: I actually like the contrast and I think that with lighter colors, the black roof is actually nice. If you get the black glass roof with a black car, you can't see it anymore. Seems to be a matter of personal taste, same goes to the black plastic of the side inlets and other inlets. I like them in black and would only get them in carbon but not painted in exterior color. This would look horrible. Everything one color, no thanks.

Also a word about the BOSE system: I'm afraid I regret a little bit not taking Burmester. Yes, the sound is OK but worse than I actually remember. It sounds worse than BOSE on my Cayenne GTS, which is a surprise. I guess Porsche did some tweaking to make a bigger difference but if you are an audiophile and you don't care about the extra cost, get Burmester instead. Especially if you are going to use your car as a daily driver.

I have now over 500 km on the car, oil consumption is still not visible, the level is still at max.

--

RC:
    Also, in Sport Plus mode, the front lip and the rear wing are deployed and while the car looks great that way, I just feel stupid driving around that way through the city. Smiley
    RC, do you mean that the front active spoiler is only deployed in Sport Plus mode? Or that it is deployed at a lower road speed than in other modes?

--

"Form follows function"

Thankx for the reply. i don't really like light (Lexus) steering. so,  i don't think i would add the Power steering Plus.

RC, thanks for the great report! Would you mind taking a picture of the glass roof from the inside when you have a chance, I am curious to see how wide the opening is when in closed position, meaning how much light it allows to penetrate in the cabin? 

Many thanks for your excellent initial driving report...kiss

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Great report RC. I just asked my dealer to remove Power Steering Plus from my order.  Hopefully it makes it in before vehicle fix date of 10/18.

great report and cool car.....

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Regarding the glass sunroof, there are two spots which look absolutely hideous when combined with a light colour:

1381095616597991_g_sunroof_m_red.JPG

It would look so much better with just a little correction:

991_g_sunroof_clean.jpg

Well, I guess the designer of the new glass sunroof must have been the same person who has designed this: smiley

991_g_sunroof_m_green.JPG

--

Germans. Form follow functions. The sunroof is only so wide so the black out would be the same width. Blending in the awkward angle is not high on the priority list.

If it were Italians doing it, the sunroof would be a a couple inches wider on either side to blend in with the cut line.

--

This is German craftsmanship. The honest construction ​​visualized. 
    You see what you get...SmileySmiley

--

Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW Grand Coupe 650i xDrive

Always enjoy your thorough and honest review of your cars. Enjoy it in good health and try to keep your driver license.indecision

Whoopsy:
    Germans. Form follow functions. The sunroof is only so wide so the black out would be the same width. Blending in the awkward angle is not high on the priority list.

If it were Italians doing it, the sunroof would be a a couple inches wider on either side to blend in with the cut line.

This is so true and such a shame. It would have cost them nothing extra just a few thoughts in advance. Such details can ruin the whole design, hope they'll get it right with the facelift.

Normally they do. Smiley

--

Very interesting and detailed review, as always. The color combination is terrific. I am looking forward to when you are able to take more interior pictures.

You mentioned that the sunroof made a rattle noise going over certain bumps - I assume (based on the weather) that it was closed at the time? Please let us know if adjustments manage to correct this.

Congratulations!

Great report as ever,Christian!

Seems a GREAT car,and i had not doubt on this.

Only thing i can tell from real live pictures,is that like all predecessor also this Turbo need to be lowerer a few...angry

space between tyres and mudguards are too much...

BTW glad they had improved the exhaust sound,can't wait to see it from  real.

Congrats again on your new car,welcome back at home.

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo

Rossi:

Regarding the glass sunroof, there are two spots which look absolutely hideous when combined with a light colour:

1381095616597991_g_sunroof_m_red.JPG

It would look so much better with just a little correction:

991_g_sunroof_clean.jpg

I actually disagree, I like the version before corrections better. I also think the sunroof looks fantastic on a white car. I'm a big fan of white and black accents. Smiley

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

Very nice car RC, enjoy it and keep safe!

reginos:
    RC:
    Also, in Sport Plus mode, the front lip and the rear wing are deployed and while the car looks great that way, I just feel stupid driving around that way through the city. Smiley
    RC, do you mean that the front active spoiler is only deployed in Sport Plus mode? Or that it is deployed at a lower road speed than in other modes?

--

"Form follows function"

In Sport Plus mode, the front lip and rear wing are fully deployed to performance mode. The lip and wing do not retract when going slower or when coming to a stop, which in my opinion is a problem. On the other hand, I highly doubt that anyone will drive in Sport Plus in the city, it just doesn't feel right (much "worse" than on other 911 models with Sport Chrono). 

You can always deploy/retract the front lip and rear wing by pressing a button. 

In Sport mode, the active aerodynamics work only at higher speeds and I'm not sure (have to read it in the manual) if the third stage (performance mode) is deployed in Sport mode.

--

993Targa:
    I actually disagree, I like the version before corrections better. I also think the sunroof looks fantastic on a white car. I'm a big fan of white and black accents. Smiley

Same here. I actually think that the glass roof doesn't many any sense on very dark colors. Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    774725 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440283 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262031 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260294 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84826 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5442 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879332 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814152 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM