Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: "Cajun" is now...MACAN Thread Closed

kudryavchik:
    Macan and targa

http://www.zr.ru/content/news/578647-pojavilis_izobrazhenija_novyh_porsche_macan_i_911_targa_ekskluziv/

A report in Jalopnik says that Macan image is a rendering from Autobild but was used in a Porsche dealer presentation in Atlanta:

http://jalopnik.com/the-porsche-macan-will-have-two-turbo-engines-cost-52-1410719001

The article further says the Macan will have two turbocharged engines: a 3.0 liter in the Macan S and a 3.6 liter in the Macan Turbo.  Price for the S is supposedly $52k and $75k for the Turbo.

Personally I think the message is a little garbled and I don't believe the Macan S will be turbocharged.  I do expect the base Macan to have a turbocharged 4 though, so I think that's where the two turbo motors come in.

^ I don't know about that. I'm expecting the base Macan to use Audi's four-cylinder 2.0L TFSI so that'll definitely be a turbocharged option but don't forget that Porsche has key markets like China in mind so keeping their engines below the 3.0L displacement cutoff will allow them to be exempt from heavy taxation and therefore appeal to a larger audience. I can see the Macan S using the Porsche 3.0L V6 TT lump but I'm confused as to why they'd create a whole other engine family with a 3.6L V6 TT. That'll be more expensive to produce, creates an entirely new engine family used by only one car and is still larger than 3.0L displacement mark.

Unless giving the Turbo a bigger engine means more profits for the company in those markets, then I see the point. Besides, Turbos are always exclusive so I can see the point in pricing it in a way to differentiate them from their lower-specced brethren. This'll allow the base Macan and Macan S to be the volume models with the Macan Turbo [and potential Turbo S] occupying the top rung.

We're getting very close now. With October around the corner and this presentation leaking, we should start seeing information/visual leaks very soon. Excited!

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S

I habe a hard time believing that tehy will launch a new 3.6 turbo for  the Macan. The trend is towards downsizing, if they put a 3.0  liter in the Panamera, why should they not put it into the Macan? 

I beleive that dealer has too much fantasy and no clue...

--

turbolite

turbolite:

I habe a hard time believing that tehy will launch a new 3.6 turbo for  the Macan. The trend is towards downsizing, if they put a 3.0  liter in the Panamera, why should they not put it into the Macan? 

I beleive that dealer has too much fantasy and no clue...

It wasn't one dealer, it was all the US dealers (allegedly), a PCNA presentation at the Atlanta PCNA office. But yes, it does sound suspicious, both for a 3.6 turbo and a turbo in an "S".  Others think the report sounds odd as well.  See this car and Driver link: http://blog.caranddriver.com/details-of-porsches-macan-crossover-upcoming-911-boxster-and-cayman-models-leak-online/  But I have been hearing there will be a wider use of turbos in all models as a way of increasing fuel efficiency.  Assuming that happens, how will Porsche keep from diluting the "Turbo" model cachet when all models have a turbo?  Maybe they could drop the "Turbo" and make it a "Plus", so there would be a top-of-the-line Macan Plus Smiley, or a 911 Plus, or the ultimate 911 Plus S!  Smiley

GM Austin:

Personally I think the message is a little garbled and I don't believe the Macan S will be turbocharged.  I do expect the base Macan to have a turbocharged 4 though, so I think that's where the two turbo motors come in.

Porsche will use as many turbo charged engines as possible since they allow them to keep CO2 values down, thus establish a "greener" image and a lower fleet consumption. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Oct. 5th 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Porsche will use as many turbo charged engines as possible since they allow them to keep CO2 values down, thus establish a "greener" image and a lower fleet consumption. 

Exactly! That means 2.0 TFSI (approx 220 hp and maybe a 300hp version a' la Golf R)), 3.0 porsche Turbo and Turbo S with 380-440 hp), maybe the non turbo 3.6 for some markets like the US, and two to three audi diesels with 2.0 to 3.0 displacement spanning from 220 to 320 hp. The only real Porsche engine on this car will be the 3.0 turbo. Further down the road there will be some hybrid iterations...  that's my 50 cents....

--

turbolite

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1087243_2014-audi-sq5-first-drive

Found this comment on the audi sq5. Does not seem to be too hard to beat for a well prepared Macan. But with  almost 360 hp in the Audi i cant believe a Macan should have only 380 hp.... Really curious a out its weight too..

--

turbolite

turbolite:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1087243_2014-audi-sq5-first-drive

Found this comment on the audi sq5. Does not seem to be too hard to beat for a well prepared Macan. But with  almost 360 hp in the Audi i cant believe a Macan should have only 380 hp.... Really curious a out its weight too..

I wouldn't expect too much difference on the weight or hp figure. The differentiation will be made mostly by looks (exterior, interior) and chassis setups. Still, I think the Macan top model will start with a 4 in the hp figure, this is the only way they can justify the high price tag for this car (over 80k EUR as far as I heard).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Oct. 5th 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

it could be an interesting alternative to the larger Cayenne. however, if 80k and above, i believe it is priced out of the market.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Can't wait to see the final product! 

But.. it will be comfortable like Cayenne? I'm talking about when cruising, not - obviously - the space.. 

--

2011 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Cabriolet PDK Basalt Black/Cocoa

2013 Aston Martin Cygnet 

intouch1:

it could be an interesting alternative to the larger Cayenne. however, if 80k and above, i believe it is priced out of the market.

The Cayenne Turbo has a base price of 123k EUR in Germany, the Cayenne Turbo S 151k EUR.

The Cayenne GTS costs 93k EUR.

80k would be a bargain. Smiley

--

RC:
    intouch1:

The Cayenne Turbo has a base price of 123k EUR in Germany, the Cayenne Turbo S 151k EUR.

The Cayenne GTS costs 93k EUR.

80k would be a bargain. Smiley

But those are top of the range models. Most customers buy Cayenenne, S, or Diesel. And compared to those a Macan priced at 80K could just make customers think "I'll just put up a few more bucks and get the bigger car"

If it's not priced with a good margin from both the competitors and it's bigger sister it could end up missing the mark,  loosing it's credibility as a premium car, and driving away it's potential buyers, 

I saw it happen they bought the 5 series here at my house. The 3 series is priced at (US) 44K and the base 5 series at 50K. As a result there's a lot more 5 than 3 in the streets. Then again this could also be a very sucesssful selling strategy it you manage production vs demand carefully. 

I think Macan prices will be like 981 Cayman's, starting from 45K euro (without VAT) for the base 2.0 diesel.

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

Enmanuel:

But those are top of the range models. Most customers buy Cayenenne, S, or Diesel. And compared to those a Macan priced at 80K could just make customers think "I'll just put up a few more bucks and get the bigger car

For me, and others I know, the appeal of a Macan Turbo is not so much that it's cheaper than a Cayenne Turbo, but that it is smaller. For many European countries the Cayenne is just a little to big (wide) for comfort. At 188cm (based on rumors) the Macan will already be much easier to place on tight roads and car parks than its big brother.

pride355:

I think Macan prices will be like 981 Cayman's, starting from 45K euro (without VAT) for the base 2.0 diesel.

This sounds reasonable, maybe even slightly cheaper for the base car.

The Macan S is rumored at ~ 60k EUR, the Turbo over 80k EUR (always incl. 19% VAT). Of course these are rumors yet, I have some more precise figures but I cannot post them for obvious reasons.

These cars won't be bargains but about 10k EUR cheaper than the "corresponding" Cayenne model.

A couple of weeks ago, I was discussing the Macan with a customer of mine (he noticed my Cayenne) and he mentioned that a Porsche dealer in Munich told him that prices will start at 35k EUR. I highly doubt it. When I told him that I actually believe that the base model will be around 45k and probably 60k or more with options, he said this would be insane. He wouldn't pay more than 40k for a base Macan. Well...good luck. Smiley

--

It's not that hard to figure out the prices IMO.

Based on the German Audi Q5 prices, the Macan will never start at €35k All Macans will have AWD and PDK/Automatic

The base Macan 2.0 turbo 225hp (standard AWD) will start around €49000 incl. 19% VAT (Audi is €44800)

Base Macan diesel (180hp) will start around  €47500 incl. 19% VAT

I guess the top of the line Macan Turbo S will start around €85000-90000. Fully loaded that will be €125000-130000. Pretty reasonable prices, compared to the Cayenne IMO. 

--

I'm just another female petrolhead :)

Macan can have a "Porsche surcharge" over the Q5 or BMW X3 but if they value the kudos of the Porsche badge too highly then the Audi / BMW will be the winner. Smiley

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

I am hearing base cost of $52K for a Macan S & $75K for the Macan Turbo in the US. My wife is ordering a Macan S so hopefully, we will be sitting with the dealer early next month to formalize configuration and order. 

--

2006 997 C2S Cab, Triple Black,  2013 Cayenne Dark Blue Metallic New York

It will be 10% more expensive than the equivalent  Q5 models.

Assuming that the starting price for the 2.0 T 225 hp will be 50.000 EUR this is the same as the new Q3 (slightly more compact) RS version with 2.5l,  5 cylinders and 310 hp.

The Porsche badge is pricey.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

Assuming that the starting price for the 2.0 T 225 hp will be 50.000 EUR this is the same as the new Q3 (slightly more compact) RS version with 2.5l,  5 cylinders and 310 hp.

Audi RS Q3 first-drive review by Autocar...

Audi RS Q3 Review by Autocar

The concept of a high-performance RS-badged SUV, like the Audi RS Q3, is not entirely new.

Halfway through the previous decade, when it became clear that the Q7 V12 TDI was going to possess genuinely startling performance, Audi’s blue-sky thinkers pitched a final covering of Quattro GmbH pixie dust to see the six-figure model into public affection. They were emphatically told no, this is not an RS model.

Fast forward to 2013, and the brand’s sales ambitions simply do not work without granting the marketing department their wish.

Given the public’s much-vaunted appetite for SUVs of all sizes, it’s a wonder that it didn’t happen a wee bit sooner. Nevertheless, as the product cycle has thrown up the Q3 before bigger, newer fare makes it to the table, Audi does at least get to claim one legitimate first.

With the 2.5-litre, five-cylinder award-winner borrowed from the outgoing RS3 Sportback – along with its underpinnings and wet-clutch-controlled four-wheel drive system – the new Q3 stands alone in the compact division. The engine’s output may have been trimmed from its RS3 and TT RS outings to 306bhp and 310lb ft of torque, but it’s good for a sub-6.0sec 0-62mph sprint in a class where well above 7.0sec is the norm.

Compared with its company elders, the car doesn’t feel quite as rapid in the metal. Plenty quick enough to get yourself in all sorts of trouble at the first sign of a hairpin, though. A Sportback in an outward-bound costume it may be, but it’s clear very early on that the car isn’t going to reproduce its donor’s poker-faced turn-in at ridiculously cavalier speeds.

Despite cleaving 25mm from the Q3's standard ride height, the RS remains a softer, loftier prospect, and there’s fledgling body roll and a suspicion of nose-heaviness to prove it. That makes it an SUV. What stops it from feeling immediately like an RS is that the taller chassis is less able to atone for the steering’s shameful lack of feel.

The conviction and unmistakable reflexes of a rigid, riveted-to-the-road front end – common to all other Quattro-built models and legible through any amount of electrical assistance – have been diminished, leaving the driver with a familiarly thick layer of Audi detachment to work through.

However, a slackening of the usual RS substrata is not without intended benefits. A different type of buyer is being targeted here, one likely to value comfort as much as dynamic rigour, and on roads where the brittle RS3 would break out the hatchet, the Q3, even on 20-inch alloy wheels, remains distinctly civilised.

Partnered as it is with the growling, endlessly giving five-pot and mostly smooth seven-speed dual-clutch automatic ’box, the car can dawdle, cruise and crawl with the manners of a natural range-topper – especially on the motorway, where a tweaked top gear makes for a more placid stride (as well as 32.1mpg combined economy).

Perhaps less calculated – although greedily acknowledged by grinning engineers – is the Q3's surprisingly game level of adjustability. Because its elevated mass transfers more vigorously than it would among its unyielding stablemates, and because the power has predominantly a front-drive bias, this is one RS that will indulge in a chirping squirt of lift-off oversteer if heartily provoked.

Because the rear axle is designed to nanny you back straight, there’s a limit to the lairiness, but this second playful dimension proves infinitely more diverting than the RS3’s unambiguous one.

In the UK, despite a continuing shortfall in any real extra practicality and huge cost, the RS Q3 is probably going to seem a more likeable car than the RS3 all over, given its superior rolling refinement and equally top-notch innards. Whether it’s a more appealing RS model is a different matter.

If the badge means all-conquering grip and benign high-speed supremacy to you, then the SUV’s idiosyncrasies aren’t going to add up. It’s certainly a more curious product than the hatch.

But then it’s also the sole inhabitant of a curious niche, and if you really can’t contemplate a compact crossover without very high performance, there really isn’t anywhere else to look.

Audi RS Q3 at the Frankfurt Motor Show...

Audi RS Q3 at the Frankfurt Motor Show -- Video Link

Audi RS Q3 First Drive...

Audi RS Q3 First Drive -- Video Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Maybe it's just me, but I do not find this car very attractive at all.yes

Nope - not just you. I also find it rather pointless. 

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

And what does it have to do with Macan?!

dxpetrov:
    And what does it have to do with Macan?!

Smiley

Possible sporty Macan alternative?  Smiley

From the article above I don't think it will be a very serious alternative. 

I think this is the most unattractive Audi released since long!

Lars997:

The fact that it's branded as an RS model and is only 4 horsepower stronger than a Mercedes-Benz GLK350 only adds insult to injury.

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S

Lars997:

You're absolutely right! The car looks odd, out of proportions. The RS model is the least ugly, but still not attractive. 

--

I'm just another female petrolhead :)

Guys, they cannot make the RS Q3 as attractive as the Q5 version.  The oddities are there for a reason.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

For me, and others I know, the appeal of a Macan Turbo is not so much that it's cheaper than a Cayenne Turbo, but that it is smaller. For many European countries the Cayenne is just a little to big (wide) for comfort. At 188cm (based on rumors) the Macan will already be much easier to place on tight roads and car parks than its big brother.

are you sure on that length?

--

2013 Lotus Evora S/ 2008 Cayenne GTS Manual

2012 991 C2S -PDK / 2010 997.2 turbo cab manual, sold //2008 RS 60 sold /04 C4S sold - 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

CPA4S:

are you sure on that length?

That'll be the width. 

--

fritz

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689655 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409301 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255784 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235009 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65535 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858066 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774106 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM