Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: who would !! Chris Harris bought a Ferrari

True, but the newer ones keep on gaining more weight with the help of playstation technology  indecision

Having a 900+ HP super-Ferrari (Enzo replacement) with a dry weight of just some 150 kg more than an F40 is an amazing achievement. Nearly double the power/weight ratio! 

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Whoopsy:

The knob was at 'Sport'. I do notice the other suspension button on the other side, didn't touch it though. So that's what that button is for?

The road is question is a major artery road that I travel 3 times a week, so it's a good test on a daily driving ability of a car. Think the city ran out of money maintaining it because they refuse to install fare gates on public transit, they didn't think people would NOT pay to get on the trains. Idiots. 

On the Scuderia, the suspension button allowed you to put it back to sport suspension setting when you were in race mode. 

I don't know about the 458 but I suspect it is the same. So the softest setting you will get in race mode is sport suspension.

So if the sport suspension setting was too hard for that road in question, it would be a no go. 

I am curious to drive a 12C, I heard the ride is indeed very compliant in cool driving but that it becomes a beast when you push it.

I do miss the gearbox of the Scuderia, it was a special car, that noise, than engine and light too but the feedback was a let down compared with my two RS and eventually it was sold. 

REALZEUS:

The best Ferrari is always the next one. - Enzo Ferrari

The F40 has been surpassed many years now.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

You only judge car by numbers on papers and lap times. What it important to a real petrolhead is how a car can make you FEEL! 

The Turbo S is quicker than the F40 on any given conditions and yet I'd take the latter for sheer fun. A proper violent, scary, intimidating supercar. 

Get it wrong and it will bite you, but get it right and the rewards are amazing. 

Enzo Ferrari didn't give a shit about his road cars, he made them to make money to fund his racing activities.

What a cool video, thanks for posting it again! I remember watching it when it just got done. I didn't have an F40 then and I thought, yes, what a car.

Harris is right all the way, his videos are awesome.Smiley

Whoopsy:

The knob was at 'Sport'. I do notice the other suspension button on the other side, didn't touch it though. So that's what that button is for?

The road is question is a major artery road that I travel 3 times a week, so it's a good test on a daily driving ability of a car. Think the city ran out of money maintaining it because they refuse to install fare gates on public transit, they didn't think people would NOT pay to get on the trains. Idiots. 

Whoopsy,

From  what you wrote about your Ferrari test drive, I see that you have already decided on your choice. You made the right choice on your behalf.

However, I would like to clear about suspension thing on 458. The car has magnaride suspension system with 3 settings (comfort-sport-race). You have comfort setting in "WET" mode; sport setting in "SPORT"; race setting in "RACE-TC OFF-CST OFF" setting. However, you can de-couple the suspension setting to comfort in all modes except "WET". 458 in sport feels/rides better than my ex-997.1 Carrera S w/sports chassie. You can still put the car in comfort setting, though. So I disagree with you about your Porsche suspension comparison with 458Smiley

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

pride355:
    Whoopsy:

Whoopsy,

From  what you wrote about your Ferrari test drive, I see that you have already decided on your choice. You made the right choice on your behalf.

However, I would like to clear about suspension thing on 458. The car has magnaride suspension system with 3 settings (comfort-sport-race). You have comfort setting in "WET" mode; sport setting in "SPORT"; race setting in "RACE-TC OFF-CST OFF" setting. However, you can de-couple the suspension setting to comfort in all modes except "WET". 458 in sport feels/rides better than my ex-997.1 Carrera S w/sports chassie. You can still put the car in comfort setting, though. So I disagree with you about your Porsche suspension comparison with 458Smiley

Ah so it's not like the Scuderia then. You can be in race mode and have the suspension set all the way to comfort? 

I liked the ride of the 458 in sport mode, I thought it was very compliant. Then again, despite what RC thinks, I like my cars quite firm.Smiley

Futch:

Whoopsy,

Ah so it's not like the Scuderia then. You can be in race mode and have the suspension set all the way to comfort? 

I liked the ride of the 458 in sport mode, I thought it was very compliant. Then again, despite what RC thinks, I like my cars quite firm.Smiley

Yes exactly. Futch;

I agree with you about sport mode. I find comfort mode too soft/very disconnected on the front and race mode to be too stiff especially on our poor roads. Sport has the best cruising/driving setup except traction control level, IMO.

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

Having experienced the F40 in the passenger seat, I can tell you it is one scary car. You need to be confident in what you are doing or it is bye bye. Honestly, it is the one car that I was happy to get out of.

The owner driver knew what he was doing but I have spent a lot of time in high performance cars and despite his skills I was not all that confident we would not crash. The car behaved squirrely since it did not have ANY stability/nanny aids. 

--

pride355:
    Whoopsy:

Whoopsy,

The WET setting, well, the manager didn't mention it's the 'normal' mode. He told me the 'normal' mode for Ferrari is the 'Sports'. 'Wet' is for, well, wet or winter. Smiley

I had experienced the magnaride in a 599 but seems like the 458 is tuned more firmly than the 599. Plus, I had one of the original magnaride car, a 97 Corvette and back then I like that improved ride over regular suspensions even in a first gen high-tech ride system.

Truth is, I admit I am a Porsche fan, so I am a bit bias about Porsche products :) 

Futch:

I think we're on the same frequency Smiley

nberry:

Having experienced the F40 in the passenger seat, I can tell you it is one scary car. You need to be confident in what you are doing or it is bye bye. Honestly, it is the one car that I was happy to get out of.

The owner driver knew what he was doing but I have spent a lot of time in high performance cars and despite his skills I was not all that confident we would not crash. The car behaved squirrely since it did not have ANY stability/nanny aids. 

I'm surprised you didn't blame the outdated manual transmission Smiley

F40 = V8 + IHI Turbo + dog-leg box + LSD and you're on your own Smiley

Speaking of the F40's transmission, who supplied Ferrari the 5-speed dog-leg box ? Smiley

You only judge car by numbers on papers and lap times. What it important to a real petrolhead is how a car can make you FEEL! 

So true on so many levels on the regular's table - lot's of people judge purely by 0-100 or 0-200 or HP - but what makes you grin is how you feel in it ! SmileySmiley

For those who are only interested in numbers angry

Nobody said that only numbers matter. Buth they do matter too.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

What is interesting and to show you the instability of the F40 (fun as it may beSmiley) A 997 S is faster around the Ring with substantially less hp. Of course, the 997 has about a 10 year technology advantage over it.Smiley

--

pgouveia:

hello guys

For those who didn't read Chris Harris Ferrari "Manifesto" ;)

http://jalopnik.com/5760248/how-ferrari-spins

"Ferrari will never admit that its press cars are tuned, but has the gall to turn up at any of the big European magazines' end-of-year-shindig-tests with two cars. One for straight line work, the other for handling exercises. Because that's what happens when you buy a 458: they deliver two for just those eventualities. The whole thing stinks"

This is a nice read smiley

Paulo

Thank you Paulo,

I had never seen this article, but it sure feels right...  I wondered why the 458 I rented to try before buying felt ok fast with weakish brakes....  compared to a turbo s  and maybe this explains it...Smiley  altho' at high revs, it was pretty amusing in the canyons....  but i like my scud better due to my ignoranceSmiley

Youtube is your friend, where actual owners post videos or/and race their Ferraris vs other cars. We all know the results.

I also heard that aerodynamics claims for their streetcars are often rubbish vs real measurements by non-Ferrari sources. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:

I also heard that aerodynamics claims for their streetcars are often rubbish vs real measurements by non-Ferrari sources.

That explains why their F1 team sucks Smiley

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765005 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436974 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261279 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258126 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82716 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877276 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809471 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM