Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: New Corvette 4 seconds faster than 997.2 GT3 RS 3.8 at Virginia Int'l

RC:
    Gladstone:

So that is about 17 fewer electric motors to maintain?

Never heard of any modern Porsche convertibles having trouble with the electric operated tops. They work lightning fast and you can operate them up to a speed of 65 kph (speedo reading, officially up to 50 kph). I am sorry but I am willing to accept a couple of more kilograms for the sake of an electric top which can also be opened/closed while driving.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Ever since 1998 I been having Porsche Cab´s and till today never had a single problem with the electric roof on every modell from Boxster to 996, 997 very reliable piece of engineering.

J.Seven

I was contemplating more the advantage of having so many fewer electric motors in a GM product.

Saw a nice black Corvette today, not the new one but the driver had a small web link posted on the back of his car...www.fun...something.de. I thought it is something related to cars, so I entered the link into my browser in my office and ended up on the website of a local swinger club over here in Germany. Speaking of prejudice... yes

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Reminds me of Jim Nabors playing the part of Gomer Pyle with the somewhat overused line of "Surprise, Surprise, Surprise".   frown       However, your example of expectations abruptly meeting reality was funnier than most of the TV shows plots.

Should't Leewood have a Corvette instead of a TT indecision

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

Ouch. Smiley Smiley

--

Gnil:

I don't know. Too many formative years growing up in Europe Smiley

The attachment to being born in the same year as the 911  Smiley

Oh wait, the Corvette can accomodate one passenger while the 911 can handle three   Smiley

Gladstone:
    Gnil:

I don't know. Too many formative years growing up in Europe Smiley

The attachment to being born in the same year as the 911  Smiley

Oh wait, the Corvette can accomodate one passenger while the 911 can handle three   Smiley

Every once and awhile one will read about a horrific accident involving a Corvette, only to notice that there were three or four passengers in the car!  

It is rather unfortunate that the car has such a bad reputation, especially since the new C7 Corvette, finally seems to be a decent drive.

Just following up on the same train of thought, I did try to search for my prior post, but to no avail, so forgive me for what I believe is repeating myself (I am actually not that senile quite yet). Here again is my most entertaining story of Corvette with too many passengers, but all ends well. yes

Mr. D--. O--. was from a fairly well to do family and was a military fighter pilot, but in the late 1960's he took his youngest brother and a few of his friends (including my older brother) for a ride in his convertible fuel injected corvette.

With the convertible top up, they could easily seat one kid behind each of the front seats and two in the passenger seat. (Vehcile occupancy of five total). Seat belts were an option at the time and airbags were science fiction.

All the young guys were quite entertained when the car hit 160mph and the convertible top went from compressed to absolutely pulled outward from the aerodynamics!  Imagine the thrill of seeing first hand the aero effect while rolling down the road at 160mph on some good old bias ply tires!!!

RC:

Seriously? On such a car a MANUALLY operated top? What a shame.

WOW.. this sounds like it would be an option! I never ever thought that they have manually operated tops - Smiley

Hey - how did you handle the kids in the Corvette? Did you rent two cars?

Lars997:

RC:

WOW.. this sounds like it would be an option! I never ever thought that they have manually operated tops - Smiley

Yes, two cars. I actually wanted to rent a Ferrari California but my wife wanted to drive a Corvette herself and in the end, we almost ended up with a Corvette and a Boxster (Ferrari was gone, it's availability was a glitch in their reservation system) because my wife wanted the Corvette and since the Ferrari was gone, their only car available was a Boxster.

My son refused(!) to drive in the Boxster, they offered a 991 Carrera Coupe instead, didn't want a Coupe and finally, after I showed the business card of a Hertz VP to the Hertz manager, he miraculously found a second Corvette Cab for us. Smiley

What can I say? It was hot (42°C) and sunny, we drove from Las Vegas to Lake Mead and back with open tops and enjoyed the ride. Cabs are only fun when it is really warm (and not too humid).

--

RC:
    Lars997:

RC:

Yes, two cars. I actually wanted to rent a Ferrari California but my wife wanted to drive a Corvette herself and in the end, we almost ended up with a Corvette and a Boxster (Ferrari was gone, it's availability was a glitch in their reservation system) because my wife wanted the Corvette and since the Ferrari was gone, their only car available was a Boxster.

My son refused(!) to drive in the Boxster, they offered a 991 Carrera Coupe instead, didn't want a Coupe and finally, after I showed the business card of a Hertz VP to the Hertz manager, he miraculously found a second Corvette Cab for us. Smiley

What can I say? It was hot (42°C) and sunny, we drove from Las Vegas to Lake Mead and back with open tops and enjoyed the ride. Cabs are only fun when it is really warm (and not too humid).

RC, can you scan this famous business card and send it to me so that I could use it in the future.  Thanks.  Alan

Private email is fine.  Thanks again.

Smiley

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

Very cool RC! Great idea actually getting two cool cars and driving to lake mead! kiss

Rossi:
    Gnil:

This car is tempting as the price is so good that one does not mind the depreation , nor having it as a garage queen , all that making it up for the ' bad image' it has and the lack of ' subtlety ' in it's look. The performance on a track does wonders and the perfect weight distribution makes it a lot of fun .

Maybe I should consider it, save lots of money and still have lots of fun . I'll just have to hide under a wig when driving around the neighborhood indecision

I think for a (modern) Corvette, this seventh version looks really good. I haven't seen it in flesh so far, but from the pics I really like it. Smiley

I'm on the opposite side of the fence, the reason I sold my zr1 is because I hate the camaro rear end and mostly the interior of the c7. I figured  the 911 tts is one of few cars quicker than the zr1 and quite frankly better looking too!

Gnil:

Maybe I should consider it, save lots of money and still have lots of fun . I'll just have to hide under a wig when driving around the neighborhood indecision

LOL! Smiley

Here, for Scuderia in September. No one will notice it is you.

mask.jpg

--

2010 997.2 C2S | Carrara White | Manual | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE | OZ Superforgiata
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Previous
    2008 997.1 C4S | Guards Red | Manual | PSE | Bilstein PSS10 | H&R Roll Bars | Dension 500
    2007 997.1 Turbo | Meteor Gray | Manual | Bilstein PSS10 | Cargraphic Stage 2 | Dension 500
    2005 987.1 Boxster S | Arctic Silver | Manual | OZ Ultraleggera | H&R Cup Suspension | H&R Roll Bars | Sachs Racing Clutch | Recaro Shells
    2005 997.1 C2S | Atlas Gray | Manual | PSE | Sport Suspension (-20mm)

we will see with what car I'll be showing up …..

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

indecisionGo Chris go! 

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=29320

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive MSport & 2012 x5 - TurboS Cab on Order Mar14. Range Rover V8 on order June14

Chris had a lot of fun with the new kissVette.

here is a German driving comparo view of Porsche - Corvette

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66MT95Xhyus

Will be interesting to see the comparison of the Z06 to the 911 (Over 625hp and loaded with everything including carbon brakes, still less money than a Carrera S with no options).

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

I just spec'd a decent C2S out. $130K without the powerkit, $148K with it. And that's without any fancy interior design option.

Fucking rip-off. So many better options for $130-150K.

noone1:

I just spec'd a decent C2S out. $130K without the powerkit, $148K with it. And that's without any fancy interior design option.

Fucking rip-off. So many better options for $130-150K.

Indeed, they call it the GT3 Smiley   $150K for a Carrera S is certainly hard to fathom. I am surprised the price delta between an S and a decently spec'ed GT3 is so narrow. Considering the higher residuals on the GT3 one must really hate the wing to choose the lesser sibling.

I would add one more thing-as a hardcore car GT3 is more desirable if it has less options,all it needs is CS pack where you pay for the seats only

trip:
     Considering the higher residuals on the GT3 one must really hate the wing to choose the lesser sibling.

Haha, yes. Although I suspect the GT3 will start to see depreciation like the S if you do a fair comparison.

If you were to drive a GT3 as daily driver and put high milage on it, I doubt it holds value much better. A few years old 997 GT3 with 10k km on the clock looks like a better deal for the first owner than a 997 S with 50k km on the clock, but that is comparing apples to oranges. A 997 GT3 with 50k km on the clock does not look that attractive anymore. Closer service intervals, higher service cost and a depreciation similar to the S. Not to mention that you have to convince the next buyer that you did not put those 50k km on the GT3 on a track Smiley

--

2014 981 Boxster S | Riviera Blue | PDK | Sport Suspension (-20mm) | PCCB | PTV | PSE
    2010 997.2 C2S | Carrara White | Manual | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE | OZ Superforgiata
    2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Previous
    2008 997.1 C4S | Guards Red | Manual | PSE | Bilstein PSS10 | H&R Roll Bars | Dension 500
    2007 997.1 Turbo | Meteor Gray | Manual | Bilstein PSS10 | Cargraphic Stage 2 | Dension 500
    2005 987.1 Boxster S | Arctic Silver | Manual | OZ Ultraleggera | H&R Cup Suspension | H&R Roll Bars | Sachs Racing Clutch | Recaro Shells
    2005 997.1 C2S | Atlas Gray | Manual | PSE | Sport Suspension (-20mm)

agree - but look at the current pricings of those - they seem to be very very stable against any other 911

Another interesting video with the corvette from Autocar.co.uk...

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/video-usa-1-europe-0-corvette-c7-stingray-vs-porsche-911-audi-r8-and-jaguar-f-type

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive MSport & 2012 x5 - TurboS Cab on Order Mar14. Range Rover V8 on order June14

kissThanks for posting. Watched it but my sad conclusion:

Another useless Autocar video. i have no idea what they are doing lately, but it's getting worse and worse.... And they used to have nice articles and videos.... Something's going wrong there.

In this comparison, the wrong cars were used for each part of the comparison. Why compare the 600+ Nm of torque Corvette with the 440Nm of the 911 in an acceleration test?! Why didn't he compare the acceleration to the Audi? Oh wait... Because the Vette would have lost of course! The 911's brakes were miles better. That was a huge difference.  He didn't say anything about true handling of any of the cars, he just did some useless drifting and that "it" was so nicely balanced.... The Jag sounds much, much better than the vette, but like he said, that is subjective, just like the look of the cars... 

The only thing that the Vette clearly wins is the price comparison. But didn't we all already knew that?  Where was the comparison in terms of build quality? Yes, the Vette is a lot better now, but still not a match for the Audi or the Porsche.

From the moment the video started, one knew that the Vette would "win" this useless comparison. I'm not a fan of the Vette, but that doesn't take away that it is a great car for the money. You get what you pay for and that applies to all four of these cars. Simple as that.

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

SuzyF:

kissThanks for posting. Watched it but my sad conclusion:

Another useless Autocar video. i have no idea what they are doing lately, but it's getting worse and worse.... And they used to have nice articles and videos.... Something's going wrong there.

In this comparison, the wrong cars were used for each part of the comparison. Why compare the 600+ Nm of torque Corvette with the 440Nm of the 911 in an acceleration test?! Why didn't he compare the acceleration to the Audi? Oh wait... Because the Vette would have lost of course! The 911's brakes were miles better. That was a huge difference.  He didn't say anything about true handling of any of the cars, he just did some useless drifting and that "it" was so nicely balanced.... The Jag sounds much, much better than the vette, but like he said, that is subjective, just like the look of the cars... 

Yes, Autocar videos are getting more and more worse. All this useless drifting.

For me, the Corvette sounds best, followed by the Jag. But why should the Vette lose an acceleration race against the 430hp Audi? The Vette has more power and much more torque. Both cars have nearly the same weight. And with a rolling start the 4wd of the Audi does not help.

I really like the new corvette. It's a great car. Unfortunately it has such a bad image here in Germany. You must be very brave to drive such a thing because everybody will immediately think that you are a pimp. Chevrolet should simply create a new brand like Toyota did it with Lexus and sell the Corvette under another name in all non-US countries. That would also allow to raise the price a bit and offer more expensive features like a dual clutch gearbox, which is missing.

SuzyF:
    In this comparison, the wrong cars were used for each part of the comparison. Why compare the 600+ Nm of torque Corvette with the 440Nm of the 911 in an acceleration test?! Why didn't he compare the acceleration to the Audi? Oh wait... Because the Vette would have lost of course!

Suzy - that was a 4.2L V8 Audi - Corvette still had way more torque (in fact it has more torque than the V10 version too).  The Z06 version of the Vette is coming soon that has over 625hp and over 635 ft-lbs of torque (final specs still improving) and still cost less than any of those Euro cars in the test.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

BTW, 635 ft-bs is 861 Nm (almost double 991S).

--

Just received an invitation to drive the Corvette on a racetrack in Fontana, CA later this month. It is a five hour session including expert driving instruction.

Debating whether I want to do it. It is a couple hours out of San Diego and my GT3 will be here in about 30 days. What is the point? 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 3:43 AM
    rhino
    802751 1804
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448423 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265951 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89962 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6439 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885439 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832426 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM