Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 918 Spyder

It's an incredible car. and beating the LaF and P1 around the ring really is a huge deal. I love it, i just wished there would've been more surprise to it. I feel like (aside from hp and lap times) everything about the 918 is old news. 

Enmanuel:

It's an incredible car. and beating the LaF and P1 around the ring really is a huge deal. I love it, i just wished there would've been more surprise to it. I feel like (aside from hp and lap times) everything about the 918 is old news. 

At least, we were part of the whole development process, which is a good thing IMO.

All the efforts from Porsche engineers were in front of our eyes in these two years or so… 

Enmanuel:

Anyway it was very nice to see its evolution from concept to rolling chassis, then to prototype and final production version.

P.S. LaF didn't do any lap on nurburgring as far as I have read. Currently they are making tests on fiorano and rossing streets at about 40-50 kph))))

--

sportcars-history.com

He left a lot in the table, the car seems to understeer a lot or he was just not trying has hard as possible to carry speed into the turns.  A couple places he lifed in the turns when he should have maintained speed or accelerated to upset the chassis less.  Just saying, I saw room for improvement, certainly with slicks or semi slicks.  Maybe I could do better :-)

OMG, this is the surprised I was waiting for.

Over the weekend I was in Toronto for a Audi golf tournament. Had a chance to talk to the Audi Canada Marketing Director on cars. When he learnt that I had placed an order for a 918, he told me I will be in for a pleasant surprise next week.

Guess he knew the time already and wasn't at liberty to tell me yet.

First street car with street tires to go under the 7-minute mark. That is quite an achievement... And, I don't think we have seen the maximum yet.

I have a different feeling about the "Surprise" aspect: The Surprise was when the car was revealed at Geneva... It seemed a little too much to believe. Then, when Porsche said it was going to build it, I half-expected that the ultimate car would fall short of the Geneva promises, as it seemed hard to beleive.

However, we have been treated to a steady stream of information about the development of this car which has been very enjoyable. And in the end, Porsche has fulfilled the promise of the car and then some, in a remarkably short time (IMO).

It was rather daring to develop this car in public.

Leawood911:

He left a lot in the table, the car seems to understeer a lot or he was just not trying has hard as possible to carry speed into the turns.  A couple places he lifed in the turns when he should have maintained speed or accelerated to upset the chassis less.  Just saying, I saw room for improvement, certainly with slicks or semi slicks.  Maybe I could do better :-)

Leawood, Lieb is considered one of Porsche's top drivers. Not only do you criticizing his driving but you offer suggestions for his improvement. Seriously?SmileySmiley

I noticed that he didn't use all of the run off in a couple of places and he rarely banged the apexes. I don't know the track well enough to know if that mattered to the time or was actually beneficial to the time though.

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

My point is the car is even quicker than this.  Did you actually watch?  I am very detailed and have 100's of thousands of 911 miles under my belt.  I don't think I am faster than he is - if he tries harder.  IMHO this was a safe time representative of the car more than of the skill of the driver.  Let's face it he could not let it hang out for fear of crashing and because of limitations of street tires.  So yes - I feel my comments are valid.Smiley

Leawood, Porsche was out to prove the 918 is the fastest production car on the Ring. Lieb was selected to make that happen. He was not holding back or dogging it. I am sure you are an experienced 911 driver. Trust me, when it comes to driving Porsche's you and Lieb are worlds apart as he is with the rest of us.

nberry:

Leawood, Porsche was out to prove the 918 is the fastest production car on the Ring. Lieb was selected to make that happen. He was not holding back or dogging it. I am sure you are an experienced 911 driver. Trust me, when it comes to driving Porsche's you and Lieb are worlds apart as he is with the rest of us.

Also, possibly, not to show all cards to competition...

The record, which was previously held for four years, was even broken during the first attempt in the test drive on the morning of September 4. All three drivers – Former European Rally Champion Walter Röhrl, Porsche test driver Timo Kluck and Porsche factory driver Marc Lieb – were quicker than the existing record with each lap driving the two 918 Spyder models used, and posted lap times of less than seven minutes on numerous occasions. Ultimately, it was Marc Lieb who posted the absolute best time of 6.57 minutes, driving at an average speed of 179.5 km/h, as measured by Wige Solutions. Marcus Schurig, editor-in-chief of sportscar magazine “sport auto”, was on hand as an objective observer of the record-breaking runs. The two sportscars, which deliver an output of 887 bhp (652 kW), were equipped with the optional “Weissach package” to increase the driving dynamics, and lead out on the standard Michelin tyres developed specifically for the 918 Spyder.

--

sportcars-history.com

Notice the bang at 0:49, crazy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy94g-uDAhg

I am going to go out on a limb and say had the 918 came with a bigger battery the lap time will be faster.

I went back and study the in car camera video, the car ran out of juice before hitting the final stretch, Marc Lieb had to put the car back into Sport Hybrid mode from Hot Lap mode to charge the battery. The battery gauge was down to the last bar before the Audi banner. 

Come to think of it, even with a big battery and front motor brake regen, the 918 still run out of juice, and didn't run the last straight with full power potential, how can the P1 with a much smaller battery and no brake regen beat this time? There is no way the P1 can run the whole ring with full 950hp.

I think Porsche is feeling pretty smug right now about their 6:57.

"I went back and study the in car camera video, the car ran out of juice before hitting the final stretch, Marc Lieb had to put the car back into Sport Hybrid mode from Hot Lap mode to charge the battery. The battery gauge was down to the last bar before the Audi banner. "

Exactly my thoughts, the car only did 29X on the lonnng main straight because it was out of boost and in sport hybrid mode. And notice how it did more than 300 on this small stretch at the beginning 2:14 when it was in hot lap mode and had plenty of boost!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yz8cizr6sI

Looks are growing on me. Interior is drop dead gorgeous. I still think the initial concept was cooler and still not super excited about it having seen it for the last 3 years, but still a damn cool car.

Whoopsy:

I am going to go out on a limb and say had the 918 came with a bigger battery the lap time will be faster.

I went back and study the in car camera video, the car ran out of juice before hitting the final stretch, Marc Lieb had to put the car back into Sport Hybrid mode from Hot Lap mode to charge the battery. The battery gauge was down to the last bar before the Audi banner. 

Come to think of it, even with a big battery and front motor brake regen, the 918 still run out of juice, and didn't run the last straight with full power potential, how can the P1 with a much smaller battery and no brake regen beat this time? There is no way the P1 can run the whole ring with full 950hp.

I think Porsche is feeling pretty smug right now about their 6:57.

It seems that the batteries were also not fully charged before the run. If I am not wrong, the battery status bar is longer.

--

sportcars-history.com

Leawood911:

My point is the car is even quicker than this.  Did you actually watch?  I am very detailed and have 100's of thousands of 911 miles under my belt.  I don't think I am faster than he is - if he tries harder.  IMHO this was a safe time representative of the car more than of the skill of the driver.  Let's face it he could not let it hang out for fear of crashing and because of limitations of street tires.  So yes - I feel my comments are valid.Smiley

u r 100% correct I also realized that he had to work the steering wheel very hard - which means nothing else that he was at the absolute 100% mark . He's steering goes many times 90 degrees between turns which clearly means that he was pushing over the front tires - because knowing how direct the steering of the RS already is and how little input you need to turn the car - a fully 90 degree turn would make you go left or right on the street into any wall. So yr analysis is spot on and Nick just didn't got that....

What's with the tyres fitted on the 918, it seems they're Pilot Cup 2's, apparently that profile is a lot less agressive than the regular Cup Michelin's? I would think that would compromise performance a little bit as well?

On the other hand, I'd be curious to see what a Carrera GT would've done on those Cup 2's, just for the sake of comparing both.

looks sensational in the liquid metal silver in the web special

love the exhausts!

Whoopsy:

If your observations are indeed correct, I wouldn't be too happy about not having full power for even one lap of the Nordschleife. If you're attending a trackday, you would expect to have full power all day long, as you would've with any old-school car?

Doesn't the battery re-generate from braking? I'd think it wouldn't run dry on a track?

I was wondering as well why he was fumbling twice on the steering wheel - indeed whoopsy's statement makes perfect sense unless the front wheel-motors in the 918 suck much more juice than the "add-on-power-only" to the backwheels in the P1... I would assume 4 wheel drive (multiple e-engines) drains considerable more  - time will tell....

Interview with Marc Lieb. He tells he didn't go 100%

http://media.drive.com.au/cars/car-news/frankfurt-motor-show-top-10-4738517.html

--

sportcars-history.com

kudryavchik:

Interview with Marc Lieb. He tells he didn't go 100%

http://media.drive.com.au/cars/car-news/frankfurt-motor-show-top-10-4738517.html

If you knew you were going to be in a three way pissing match why would you put your ultimate best time forward to start things off? This will be hard enough to break...

And I agree with Woopsy, he lost at least a second or so on that last straight with no battery power.

--

Marc also said he had a lot of understeer  - but also said "for a road car that is normal".. Considering that this seem to have been the weissach package - which surely has to be faster - it's for sure a high-end lap with very little more to come - maybe a specific NBR set up and semi-slicks could bring it further - but for a +1600 kgs car a unbelievable time ! To achieve such a time difference to a GT2RS with 620HP and much less weight - is almost unbelievable Congrats Porsche !!!! wink

The biggest challange was street legal tyres. On semislicks car makes 6-48.

--

sportcars-history.com

BjoernB:

I was wondering as well why he was fumbling twice on the steering wheel - indeed whoopsy's statement makes perfect sense unless the front wheel-motors in the 918 suck much more juice than the "add-on-power-only" to the backwheels in the P1... I would assume 4 wheel drive (multiple e-engines) drains considerable more  - time will tell....

The ring is a 20+km monster, even the Le Mans circuit is only 13.6. On any other circuit in the world I think the 918 would not have run out of juice, even on Le Mans it will have full power for at least a lap. 

He started the lap on Hot Lap mode, that means max power from the battery and it only charges on brake regen so as not to sap power delivery. In any other mode, the engine will help to charge the battery but that takes hp. 

As for the front motor, they disengage above 235km/hr. 

Come to think of it, I think he knew what he was doing on the front straight, switching over to Sports Hybrid mode from Hot Lap mode. It might takes 100hp to help charge the battery but he gains the use of the 285hp from both electric motors. 

So instead of using only the 608hp gas engine when the battery runs dry, he runs a 500hp gas motor plus the 285 from the electric. Still down 100 from max power but better than using gas only.

Whoopsy:

Come to think of it, I think he knew what he was doing on the front straight, switching over to Sports Hybrid mode from Hot Lap mode. It might takes 100hp to help charge the battery but he gains the use of the 285hp from both electric motors. 

So instead of using only the 608hp gas engine when the battery runs dry, he runs a 500hp gas motor plus the 285 from the electric. Still down 100 from max power but better than using gas only.

Porsche probably has more experience, and thus more data collection, on the 'Ring than any other automaker, and as a consequence, excels in Nurburgring modeling and simulation work.  Porsche knows what the 918 is capable of running, under different atmospheric conditions, well before a tire turned in anger.  Much like the IAA in Frankfurt this week, the Nurburgring represents another pissing match between the automakers.  Porsche is working hard to make McLaren expose its hand on the P1.  

I remain mystified by the bang or pop that occurs at the 49 second mark in the video you posted.  Notice that after the pop, flames appear under the car, almost as if a waste gate was activated; however, the V8 is normally aspirated and the exhaust is routed to the upper section of the engine cover.  This raises the question: Has Porsche released all the details of the technologies embodied in the 918?

CGX car nut:
    Whoopsy:

Porsche probably has more experience, and thus more data collection, on the 'Ring than any other automaker, and as a consequence, excels in Nurburgring modeling and simulation work.  Porsche knows what the 918 is capable of running, under different atmospheric conditions, well before a tire turned in anger.  Much like the IAA in Frankfurt this week, the Nurburgring represents another pissing match between the automakers.  Porsche is working hard to make McLaren expose its hand on the P1.  

I remain mystified by the bang or pop that occurs at the 49 second mark in the video you posted.  Notice that after the pop, flames appear under the car, almost as if a waste gate was activated; however, the V8 is normally aspirated and the exhaust is routed to the upper section of the engine cover.  This raises the question: Has Porsche released all the details of the technologies embodied in the 918?

I think than diffuser simply touched the asphalt. Thats all...

--

sportcars-history.com

No, I don't think so. He let off the gas right afterwards then went back on it. It wasn't expected and it wasn't the undertray.

Sounded like a spark issue or something to me.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM