Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 911 GT3 (991)

moo:
    sidicks:
    nberry:

In the US, ask a dealer for a discount on a 991GT3 and you would laughed off the premises.

In the UK you'd be thrown off the premises....!

austria: gt3 5-6%, turbo 7-10% depending on negotiation skills

NOT for their first cars, unless the dealer is an idiot. For delivery next year, this sounds just about right (10% for the Turbo S is a bit much though, up to 9% could happen). Carrera is a tiny bit more. To my knowledge, rebates in Austria and Germany are quite similar.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:
    moo:
    sidicks:
    nberry:

In the US, ask a dealer for a discount on a 991GT3 and you would laughed off the premises.

NOT for their first cars, unless the dealer is an idiot. For delivery next year, this sounds just about right (10% for the Turbo S is a bit much though, up to 9% could happen). Carrera is a tiny bit more. To my knowledge, rebates in Austria and Germany are quite similar.

I've never heard of any dealer, of any brand, willing to discount any new model.  Most will charge premium, and will usually get a $10-20,000 upcharge on highly anticipated models. 

CGX car nut:

I've never heard of any dealer, of any brand, willing to discount any new model.  Most will charge premium, and will usually get a $10-20,000 upcharge on highly anticipated models. 

I got 7% discount on a brand new 2002 996 3.6L in 2001 (newly facelifted) and given the speed at which he said yes, I think I should've tried for more.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

German Porsche dealers cannot charge a premium, this would violate their business agreement with Porsche. I think this is valid for lots of EU countries. New cars over here, even those with high demand, go to customers with a 3% rebate, which is considered to be some sort of goodwill rebate, especially for longtime customers. After a while, unless the car is still in high demand, rebates/discounts vary from 5 to 11% but I haven't seen more, unless the dealer registers the car on thei dealership and uses it as a testcar for three months. Then 20% or even slightly more are possible.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Does rebate mean that after buying the car, Porsche (not the dealer) will reimburse the amount of the rebate?

There are several dealers in the US charging a premium over MSRP for the 991GT3. My dealer is not. 

nberry:

Does rebate mean that after buying the car, Porsche (not the dealer) will reimburse the amount of the rebate?

There are several dealers in the US charging a premium over MSRP for the 991GT3. My dealer is not. 

Nope. You just pay less...at the dealer. Porsche has nothing to do with that but they do not like dealers here to give too much rebate/discount because it could hurt the brand value. Different countries, different rules. A friend wants to get the new supercharged Range Rover in the US but apparently most dealers charge a premium for a fast delivery, so he wants to wait. Never heard of someone paying a premium over here in Germany. Only company not giving rebates/discounts over here seems to be Louis Vuitton. Smiley All others...well... My jeweller gives me 20% on almost all his merchandise, incl. watches. Like I said...different markets...different folks...different rules.

Best deals on premium cars come from BMW and Mercedes over here, also Japanese and French car dealers offer good deals. Haven't checked with others but the car market in Europe isn't exactly strong, even if luxury cars seem to sell well.

--

Grant: that was definitely a great deal.

RC: Franchise law in the United States is determined on a state-by-state basis and tend to favor the dealer versus the manufacturer.  Therefore, most states have laws to benefit the dealer over the manufacturer, so additional markups are often allowable and the market demand sets the final price of oversubscribed models.  Another device dealers use to earn additional markup when a manufacturer frowns on the practice is to sell the first cars to "friends" that then immediately resell the car to another dealership, where the market adjusted price is above the manufacturer's suggest retail price. The markup is then split between the dealers and the seller.

CGX car nut:

RC: Franchise law in the United States is determined on a state-by-state basis and tend to favor the dealer versus the manufacturer.  Therefore, most states have laws to benefit the dealer over the manufacturer, so additional markups are often allowable and the market demand sets the final price of oversubscribed models.  Another device dealers use to earn additional markup when a manufacturer frowns on the practice is to sell the first cars to "friends" that then immediately resell the car to another dealership, where the market adjusted price is above the manufacturer's suggest retail price. The markup is then split between the dealers and the seller.

Very interesting, thanks. This wouldn't be possible over here, also Porsche dealerships over here have specific CI regulations and they cannot sell other brands in the same dealership and/or showroom.

--

RC:
    CGX car nut:

Very interesting, thanks. This wouldn't be possible over here, also Porsche dealerships over here have specific CI regulations and they cannot sell other brands in the same dealership and/or showroom.

Porsche, over a decade ago, tried to change its dealer network and establish Porsche customer centers but without much success because of the franchise laws.  Tesla too has found some issues in establishing a dealerless sales network, for example, in Texas.   The following was in Automotive News today:

http://www.autonews.com/article/20130909/RETAIL07/130909878/how-texas-dealers-slammed-the-door-on-tesla#

RC:
    moo:
    sidicks:
    nberry:

definitely for the first cars. this was what i had negotiated in july when i still wanted to buy the GT3 with october delivery slot confirmed. for the turbo S i was offered a late september delivery. the dealer has not sold either as of yet.

also my ferrari dealer is still sitting on the second 458 he got in july and he has not sold my ex-M5 yet.

peter

peter

I still think it's tough in UK for Porsche. There is a marked shift back towards SUV market (which 10 years ago, died due to the Guardian reading liberal jealous proles coining phrases like "Chelsea tractors" and "Gas-guzzling 4x4) however the Cayenne, despite being the most popular P-car in UK, is still not socially acceptable. I'm really interested to see how the Macan is received - Q5, X3, Evoque, Discovery even korean SUVs are acceptable however RR & Cayenne still retain a taint of old-school prejudice. Q7 & X5 are almost acceptable - quite why, I can't fathom.

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

Maybe it is a tougher market in Austria than I thought but since I know the dealer margins pretty well, a dealer giving 6% on his first GT3 must be pretty desperate. Unless of course you are a very good customer, buying at least one car per year from them. 

Speaking of the US: Back in 2000 (does somebody remember Funcarsonline?), before the 996 Turbo introduction, we had a guy on the forum who bashed the 996 Turbo all day long, refusing to order one, claiming that the old 993 Turbo was still the one and only true 911 Turbo. Since demand started to pick up strongly at that time, internet business booming, lots of new Silicon Valley companies, the very same guy ended up paying a whopping 50k USD premium to get one of the first cars because he changed his mind after the first reviews and owner reports coming in and he badly wanted to have one. 50000 USD premium, I was shocked at that time. 

Of course things look much better now but still...if someone is thinking about getting one, waiting for better deals can actually end up in not getting one anytime soon.

--

--

Porsche 911 GT3 - Guards Red 997 MKII Clubsport

comparison photo with a 997

--

from this angle the front of thre 997 RS looks way better angry The 991 blinkers/lights ruin the front !

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

That's also one of the details I dislike most about the new 991 design.

I never liked the 996 design, and when the 997 came out, it was love at first sight. I loved every little line, also the interior. Then, when the 991 came out, I found it good looking, nothing more. I didn't get the same feelingI had when I first saw the 997. The 991 GT3 and the Turbo are, to date, the two models I like the most among the 991 variants. I guess I have to give it more time and let the new design work on me.

It's not only the new 991 design, it's the new design lines you find in every new car nowadays : the mixture of modern convex and concave lines and many sharp edges. I prefered the flow of smoother lines...

--

Gauss:

What colour is this - it looks like the old 'ice blue' from the 997?

i guess it is Rhodium Silver and the camera is making it look more blue than it actually is?

discount up to 15% in Switzerland...

http://www.pff.de/porsche/board104-porsche-modelle/board2-porsche-911/porsche-991/2737309-liefertermin-gt3/index10.html

my p dealer called me as well if i am interested in gt3 or 911 turbo S and told me they have intresting discounts/rabats on those gt3/ turbo/S   he told me it isn't easy for them to sell, specialy the price gap to german cars are bigger again...  

so it looks at least in Switzerland discounts on 2 digits are likely already now

Swiss dealers get, to my knowledge, incentives, so they can give better discounts. Many Swiss started to buy their cars in Germany...

The dealer margin wouldn't permit German dealers to give 15% on a new car. Unless the dealer wants to give them away without any profit...and worse.

Also don't forget that PFF is dominated by owners of older Porsche and it wouldn't be the first time they place wrong information or rumors by purpose.

However, I can relate to the fact that Porsche is just "too late" with the GT3 and even the Turbo models. Who the heck wants to take delivery of a GT3 in october or even november in Germany. I really had to think twice before getting my Turbo S in october. The weather starts getting bad and the track season will be almost over. Not really ideal for a GT3. Too late... Also people want to read reviews and see the GT3 on the track live but nothing much going on here either.

The good old Porsche new model bashing is on...nothing new here.  Smiley

--

Christian, what's your opinion on going for the normal sports seats in the GT3, be it the 4 way or the 18 way seats, against not having the buckets. 

Anyone's else's opinion appreciated too..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

For serious track fun, the bucket seats are a must but if you are using the GT3 mainly on the street, the sport seats plus are quite OK.

--

The bucket seats are slightly cumbersome on a daily basis. You constantly hit the hard lower side wall when entering. Best thing to do is try them out and see if it bothers you or not. 

--

throt:

Christian, what's your opinion on going for the normal sports seats in the GT3, be it the 4 way or the 18 way seats, against not having the buckets. 

The sports seats do enhance the overall sporting ambiance of the interior, and (for some people) are extremely comfortable as well as (obviously) being hugely supportive....

Smiley

RC:

For serious track fun, the bucket seats are a must but if you are using the GT3 mainly on the street, the sport seats plus are quite OK.

A few have the opinion that the buckets are better for resell. Can't see myself getting to a track if I'm honest either. Sidicks was saying the buckets are 40k lighter than the normal sports seats which is a lot and that they are very comfortable. All down to personal preference as usual. Cheers..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

sidicks:
    throt:

The sports seats do enhance the overall sporting ambiance of the interior, and (for some people) are extremely comfortable as well as (obviously) being hugely supportive....

Smiley

Haha, your here. I meet up with you and check out your buckets Smiley..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

I also forgot to mention that not all people fit well into the bucket seats, so I would try them before ordering them. Especially smaller and taller people seem to have issues, same goes to "larger" people.

--

throt:

A few have the opinion that the buckets are better for resell. Can't see myself getting to a track if I'm honest either. Sidicks was saying the buckets are 40k lighter than the normal sports seats which is a lot and that they are very comfortable. All down to personal preference as usual. Cheers..

On the resale point, some will love them, some will hate them, so I wouldn't let that dictate your choice too much!

Thanks guys...I find out when Reading have there first GT3's in so I can take a look. Do like the look of them and my build would not be a problem.

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

If it is a DD I would not get the bucket seats as they can be more of a pain to get in and out.

But If you would track the car ( but you say you will not ) I would get them.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

throt:

Thanks guys...I find out when Reading have there first GT3's in so I can take a look. Do like the look of them and my build would not be a problem.

Are they really going to be that radically different from the 997.2 bucket seats that you can't make you mind up by looking at those?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753618 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430967 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258713 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255569 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79600 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868518 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802197 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM