Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

New Panamera Diesel with 300 hp available (Sept. 2013)

With its completely new 300-bhp engine and dynamic performance package, Porsche has made the Panamera Diesel even more attractive just in time for this year's International Motor Show (IAA). The vehicle has once again been kitted out with a six-cylinder V-engine with a displacement of three litres, and the power output has been increased by 50 bhp, equivalent to a considerable 20% increase in performance compared to the predecessor model. As a result, the acceleration time has been reduced by eight-tenths of a second, meaning that the new model goes from 0 to 100 km/h in 6.0 seconds, while the top speed has increased to 259 km/h compared to the 244 km/h achieved by the previous model. In addition to the improved power output, dynamic performance has also been optimised: For instance, the Panamera Diesel now features the controlled rear-axle differential lock with Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV+) as standard for the first time – to date, this feature has been reserved for the petrol engine Gran Turismo models. The transmission and chassis have also been retuned. Around 8,500 Panamera Diesel vehicles have been delivered so far, and the model accounts for a share of around 15% of the complete Panamera model range. 

The only aspect that still remains of the previous Panamera Diesel’s V6 engine are the basic engine dimensions. The moving parts in particular, such as the crankshaft drive and pistons, have been completely re-designed and dimensioned with the aim of increasing the power output. Porsche has combined its new engine with a water-cooled turbocharger for the first time, too. The new turbine provides a greater air flow as well as a higher boost pressure of 3 bar (formerly 2.5 bar). 

In addition to the increased power output of 300 bhp (221 kW) at 4000 rpm, the rated torque has also been increased by 100 Newton metre to 650 Nm at engine speeds of between 1750 rpm and 2500 rpm, providing even greater power at lower speeds. This power needs to be reliably converted into traction, which is where PTV+ comes in: The system comprises an electronically controlled, fully variable rear-axle differential lock and targeted, individual brake interventions at the rear wheels. At low to moderate speeds, the PTV Plus improves agility and steering precision; at high speeds and when accelerating out of bends, it delivers greater driving stability. As a result, the Panamera Diesel can now handle trailer loads of up to 2600 kg effortlessly, meaning that it is better able to tow attachments like horse boxes than its predecessor. 

The more powerful characteristics of the turbo engine also offered an opportunity to re-tune the transmission. In order to reduce fuel consumption and improve comfort at higher speeds in particular, the gear ratio is longer for the rear axle, meaning the Panamera Diesel uses a lower engine speed to achieve the required vehicle speed. The Gran Turismo with the new engine offers an NEDC fuel consumption of 6.4 litres/100 km, which is equivalent to 169 CO2/km. In addition, gears one to four of the eight-speed Tiptronic S transmission have been designed with a shorter gear ratio, giving the Gran Turismo an impressively powerful acceleration and sprint capability. This improved agility is also evident in the running-gear set-up: The anti-roll bars on the front and rear axle are slightly more rigid, giving the Panamera Diesel a sportier feel than its predecessor.

The Panamera Diesel with the new engine replaces the current 250-bhp variant and will be available on the market from January 2014 onwards. The vehicle costs EUR 85,300 including VAT in Germany.

P13_0693.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Re: New Panamera Diesel with 300 hp available (Sept. 2013)

As a result, the Panamera Diesel can now handle trailer loads of up to 2600 kg effortlessly

They did not really say that? LOL

The Panamera Diesel has been waiting too long for this engine .. great that it is here though.

I wonder whether this engine will make it into the Cayenne ....

sfo:

The Panamera Diesel has been waiting too long for this engine .. great that it is here though.

I wonder whether this engine will make it into the Cayenne ....

Maybe (it would make sense but it could hurt Cayenne S Diesel sales)...

I am still puzzled about how much money Porsche charges for the Cayenne Diesel, like Kreso said in a different post, you can easily spec a Diesel to over 120k EUR. This is just insane.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:

Maybe (it would make sense but it could hurt Cayenne S Diesel sales)...

I am still puzzled about how much money Porsche charges for the Cayenne Diesel, like Kreso said in a different post, you can easily spec a Diesel to over 120k EUR. This is just insane.

I thought the Cayenne Diesel S would have got the 313hp Audi bi turbo diesel .. which is what the new Panamera Diesel engine seems to be.

Agree that a 300hp Cayenne Diesel will hurt V8 diesel S sales with a only 82hp difference.

Cayenne diesel is comparable to the cost of the new RR Sport diesel in the UK, with roughly equivalent spec.

I specced a Cayenne diesel for $83k (not S mind you, and no PDDC and advanced 4WD as you can't on the diesel). For $15k more I can get the new RR sport supercharged all tricked out. I won't even try to compare it to a Cayenne turbo.

IMHO the lack of  all wheel drive represents still a weak point on the Panamera Diesel. I thought at some point this would be addressed. This feature is important in countries where you have snow conditions during the winter . I wonder how much  of it is the result of a technical limitation rather than a marketing choice?

--

911 Club Coupe, 993 4S Riviera Blau, 12' Audi S4 Avant

Technical limits unfortunately since awd for Panamera is possible only with petrol engines combines with PDK, 8 speed TIP and Audi diesel engine are adaptation only for Panamera.

SciFrog:

As a result, the Panamera Diesel can now handle trailer loads of up to 2600 kg effortlessly

They sure did, hehe. Saw this yesterday on Autogespot. Great news for this customer Smiley

porsche-panamera-turbo-c256301092013151630_8.jpg

is the 300hp motor going to arrive in the FL Cayenne base diesel?

300hp is not quite what I expect from a car like the Panamera. Why don't they still offer the 380hp version Smiley

If I wanted a Panamera (I don't, but IF), this would be the only one.... I love diesel engines in these kind of cars! They may not have that much horsepower, but it's the torque that does the job and you still get some good milage.

That said... An engine like BMW's 6-cilinder tri-turbo with 381hp and 740NM would be very nice in a Panamera....

--

I'm just another female petrolhead :)

SuzyF:

If I wanted a Panamera (I don't, but IF), this would be the only one.... I love diesel engines in these kind of cars! They may not have that much horsepower, but it's the torque that does the job and you still get some good milage.

That said... An engine like BMW's 6-cilinder tri-turbo with 381hp and 740NM would be very nice in a Panamera....

--

I also like Diesel engines (for their specific advantages). However, Porsche should be ambitious enough to offer the best diesel with the highest hp and the highest torque - not just a mediocre compromise Smiley

Lukas:
    SciFrog:

They sure did, hehe. Saw this yesterday on Autogespot. Great news for this customer Smiley

porsche-panamera-turbo-c256301092013151630_8.jpg

SmileySmileySmiley

J.Seven

MKSGR:
    SuzyF:

--

I also like Diesel engines (for their specific advantages). However, Porsche should be ambitious enough to offer the best diesel with the highest hp and the highest torque - not just a mediocre compromise Smiley

I agree on that one ;) although I wouldn't want it, but it would be a good thing if Porsche should devellop their own diesel. Flat 6 diesel... With two or three turbos SmileySmiley

And still I would buy a 640d xdrive gran coupe I think....Smiley

--

The thing is, Porsche don't want diesel to be the prime performance choice, they develop gas engines for that.

dxpetrov:
    The thing is, Porsche don't want diesel to be the prime performance choice, they develop gas engines for that.

I know... And it's easy for them to pick  some nice engines from their sister brands. And still I think that diesel engines have a lot more potential than is aknowledged. I would rather get used to a maybe slightly disappointing engiine-noise of a diesel engine, than that stupid buzzing or even complete silence of electric motors.

--

SuzyF:
    dxpetrov:

I know... And it's easy for them to pick  some nice engines from their sister brands. And still I think that diesel engines have a lot more potential than is aknowledged. I would rather get used to a maybe slightly disappointing engiine-noise of a diesel engine, than that stupid buzzing or even complete silence of electric motors.

The A6's Biturbo is a great great engine, i love it! and...the sound is super! Altough managed by the soundengineers, it's just like a V8 musclecar.

--

965 3.3turbo/  993 targa / 996 cab /997S cab

Audi R8  //  Audi A6 3.0 biturbo Quattro/Mini JCW

beltar:
    SuzyF:
    dxpetrov:

The A6's Biturbo is a great great engine, i love it! and...the sound is super! Altough managed by the soundengineers, it's just like a V8 musclecar.

It does sound great. Smiley I have that same engine in my SUV. Best sounding diesel I heard so far. (Just doesn't rev high, that's what I meant with "slightly disappointing engine-noise", compared to some high revving petrol engines)

Smiley

--

beltar:
    SuzyF:
    dxpetrov:

Since I have the same car as you(A6 3.0BTDI quattro 313ps) I can tell you that what impress me most is excellent engine/gearbox combination. 8 speed tip is amazing in this car.

We have the same bi-turbo engine / 8 speed gearbox combination in our Audi SQ5 and it really does impress - very pleased we waited and didn't get the standard 3.0L with the 7 speed

Jonathanbr:

We have the same bi-turbo engine / 8 speed gearbox combination in our Audi SQ5 and it really does impress - very pleased we waited and didn't get the standard 3.0L with the 7 speed

Diesels are just gaining some traction among U.S. consumer; unfortunately, Audi of America offers the SQ5 with a petrol motor and not the diesel. However, the A6, A7 and A8 are now available with diesel options, but the biggest impediment to sales here is the higher costs for diesel fuel, which is about 10% higher per gallon than highest octane rated gasoline.

One problem also is that not all gas stations have diesel...

This side of the pond they do - unfortunately Diesel is slightly more expensive here in the UK and at my local gas station it is currently $10.06 for the slightly larger UK gallon! 

Jonathanbr:

Is the engine sound the same on the engine with 8 speeed vs 7speed ? Apart from the gearbox what other mods we can find?

Few days ago I was with some friends and there was a 2013 A6 ALLROAD next to us. The owner arrived start the engine and we were all three bummed by the engine sound, simply amazing. Even so, i'veI told them there was a flair of Diesel engine sound to it, but my friends were calling me crazy and told me it was a V8 gasoline and no way a Diesel could sound like that!!! The guy then accelerated a little bit and went away, we were really, really impressed with magnificent engine sound.  I've made a search on YouTube and seems I was right, the new V8 TDI from VAG must be the best Diesel engine sound on the market, seems like a V8 gas. How on earth did they manage to do that Smiley

J.Seven

This weeks Autocar has a really interesting review of the Tesla vs Aston Rapide vs Panamera Diesel (albeit the old model). Basically the Tesla 'obliterated' the others in acceleration, matched them in handling, had more room inside and more boot/trunk space and won the overall review comfortably. It also had the same overall range during driving as the Aston!

Obviously it won't appeal to people who need to go above 130mph (the Teslas limited speed) or who wish to do more than 300 miles without a stop for a clearly longer re-charge time than filling a tank up, but the report was clear - it's a game-changer.......

The video doesn't show the Panamera, just the Aston though. I've only got the full article in the paper copy.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/video-tesla-model-s-vs-aston-martin-rapide-s

Hopefully this 300 bhp engine will feature in the forthcoming Macan Diesel S, at an even more optimistic sub £45k in the UK. Smiley

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

Especially for speed limited countries, powerful Turbodiesel engines can be a lot of fun to drive. They suck however in the speed range above 200 kph (125 mph) but considering the very low consumption (my wife cannot get her X3 35d with 313 hp over 10.3 l / 100 km, no matter how fast she or I drive), I think most owners can live with that.

Btw: From 0 to 130 kph, I stand no chance vs her car in my Cayenne GTS. Only at speeds over 180 kph I actually get faster than her and above 200, she stands no chance. So modern Diesel cars are quite impressive, incl. consumption. This may be the reason electric or hybrid cars haven't had the same impact in Europe as they had in the US.

--

no UK prices for the 300hp Panamera Diesel yet.

any one know how much more Porsche is charging for the 300hp diesel in other markets?

sfo:

no UK prices for the 300hp Panamera Diesel yet.

any one know how much more Porsche is charging for the 300hp diesel in other markets?

85,300 euros in Germany.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688691 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408755 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255552 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234810 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65401 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857627 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773465 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM