Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S

RC,

throttle hesitation and slow response is making me nervous about driving my 997 tts.

I reloaded software and canceled adaptations, now is much better (2000 km now).

Does tuning solve this problem?

Thanks

smith68:

RC,

throttle hesitation and slow response is making me nervous about driving my 997 tts.

I reloaded software and canceled adaptations, now is much better (2000 km now).

Does tuning solve this problem?

Thanks

Due to the VTG chargers and the DI engine, the 997 Turbo S throttle with Sport Chron (Plus) is actually pretty responsive. You cannot expect the same throttle response as on a N/A engine though, there is and always will be a lag, even so on the 991 Turbo S (though there is some improvement vs. the 997 Turbo S). The worst lag happens when you FULLY apply the throttle suddenly, you should never do that if you need boost/revving in certain situations. Apply only "almost" FULL throttle, which reduces the throttle/turbo lag substantially. Also try to stay in a certain rev/boost range to keep the boost pressure up.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Never understood this obsession with 0-xx times! Who really cares for it?! Stupid and pointless...

dxpetrov:
    Never understood this obsession with 0-xx times! Who really cares for it?! Stupid and pointless...

Buyers care... Smiley It is easier to relate to a 0-100 kph performance number than to 1:xx,x minutes on the Hockenheim Ring. Smiley

I also think that the 0-100 kph acceleration is kind of a classic 911 Turbo domain, the 911 Turbo has never been your typical track car and when people refer to it as maniac or bad ass, they were actually referring to the very uncivilized behavior, simply because it was a turbo engine with a huge boost in a relatively small package.

Very low 0-100 kph or 0-60 mph times are a trademark of the 911 Turbo, Porsche would be very dumb to ignore that (and they don't).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=e8Tem7jVEqA

it seems the sound is good after all 

sulaiman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=e8Tem7jVEqA

it seems the sound is good after all 

Interesting enough, The Getawayer was (is...haven't seen him around for a long time?) a user of Rennteam.

He had some errors in his video report though:

1. The sound is excellent...from the interior (sound symposer). There was no point in opening the window, from the outside, you can actually only hear a loud whoosh, once the car revs higher. Some videos let you believe that the 991 Turbo S sounds very different from the outside but only in the lower rev range, there is some deeper tone and some exhaust "blip" but as soon as the turbo charger(s) spool up...well. Same as 997 Turbo S but a bit louder.

2. The 991 Turbo S is not the first car with LED lights from Porsche, the Panamera facelift was actually the first (my dealer already has one for some while now). However, the LED lights are a co-development result from Turbo development, something many of you may not know. Meaning: Porsche developed them for the 991 Turbo/S and decided to use them for their other models too.

3. A 991 Turbo S is not cheaper than a 991 Turbo with the same options the 991 Turbo S has standard. The price difference is around 3k EUR (in favor of the 991 Turbo). Of course the 991 Turbo doesn't have the 40 hp power bump, the Turbo S logos, the black painted exhaust pipes, the different sound symposer programming and the higher rev limiter (7000 rpm instead of 7200 rpm on the Turbo S).

Overall I agree with him, the new 991 Turbo S is the nerd of sports cars and (almost) perfect. I just wish it had two more things: 600 hp instead of 560 hp, something we are probably going to see in the facelift and the (manual) shifter setup of the 991 GT3 (pushing the lever up downshifts and pushing the lever down/towards you upshifts).

--

Yes dunno why the shifter is the other way around 

What's the point ? 

One piece that no-one seems to have picked up on from the Autocar article is the startling fact that the 991 Turbo is now so wide it's actually wider than an E-Class Mercedes! In fact it's only 10mm narrower than an S-Class.

So much for the days of a small nimble 911. Rather makes me wonder how the new 991 Turbo S drivetrain would go in a narrow-body 991 C2, built like the legendary Ruf CTR..... :)

Guy:

One piece that no-one seems to have picked up on from the Autocar article is the startling fact that the 991 Turbo is now so wide it's actually wider than an E-Class Mercedes! In fact it's only 10mm narrower than an S-Class.

So much for the days of a small nimble 911. Rather makes me wonder how the new 991 Turbo S drivetrain would go in a narrow-body 991 C2, built like the legendary Ruf CTR..... :)

Even RUF won't be able to do that miracle, unless he gets rid of AWS.Smiley

Due to AWS and the turbo chargers, the new Turbo needed to be that wide. This is why the Turbo body is actually wider than the GT3 body (which already uses the wider C4 body). Unless of course some Tuner changes the whole exhaust/intercooler/ducts setup, which could allow them to MAYBE use the GT3 body. Maybe.

Does it really matter that the rear is wider? Only if you live in a country with very narrow country roads (or small garages). The wider rear doesn't really make the car less nimble, something some people will learn the hard way when they try to follow the big butt of a 991 Turbo S. Smiley

--

sulaiman:

What's the point ? 

I guess only Porsche knows. Smiley

The current shifter setup doesn't make sense at all to me.

--

the other day i was test driving C2  that has multi function steering Smiley so i was useing the shifter  i hit the limiter from 1st to 2nd also from 2nd to 3rd "hope less case"  thanks god PDK didnt allow me to shift from 2nd to first when i was doing 6000 RPM 

i wish we will have some software option to switch the shifter direction 

sulaiman:

What's the point ? 

I think it just matches the old tiptronic set up.

Porsche should offer an option to order the GT3 shifting "setup" because it makes much more sense for ambitious drivers.

--

dxpetrov:

Totally random, but fastest LC car I have been in was my 530PS Nissan GTR which 0-100 in about 3.2s which was laugh at loud fast. I have just come back from a local theme park which has a ride "RITA queen of speed" which catapults you 0-99kph in 2.5s according to the web...... This acceleration was simply mind blowing, proper fierce........ I am contemplating just how fierce this new Turbo S will be with its sub 3s 0-100kph SmileySmileySmileySmiley

--

3.9  GT2 2011 make over

I agree that while 0-60mph for some is not relevant, for me its an excellent measure to estimate "fun" based on straight acceleration pull. C'mon, we are all kids at heart. I cant think of any other "measure" to calculate this factor. Its like a theme park right in my driveway. Anyone that bring the fastest 0-60 while keeping it civil in the city, gets my attention. I am not a track guy, so I can care less of ring times. I want straight, in your face, catapult, speed that makes me giggles every time that I stomp on the gas. And thats AWD turbo territory.

--

2014 991 Turbo (on order, Nov Prod)
    2012 991 C2S w/Fabspeed SOLD
    2011 Ferrari 458 Italia Rosso Mondiale / cuoio
    2011 Turbo S Cab SOLD
    2010 BMW AH7 
    2010 Caddy Escalade
    2006 Cayman S First P car, SOLD

Off topic question here, but I just read about the EU proposed Regulation that will require all new cars to have speed limiter installed that prevents the car from exceeding the posted speed limit!  Car uses optical recognition to read the roadside speed signs.  Could this actually happen?!!

Conrad2:

Off topic question here, but I just read about the EU proposed Regulation that will require all new cars to have speed limiter installed that prevents the car from exceeding the posted speed limit!  Car uses optical recognition to read the roadside speed signs.  Could this actually happen?!!

One can expect everything from those communists! SmileySo glad Switzerland isn't part of the EU! Smiley

--

I'm just another female petrolhead :)

SuzyF:
    Conrad2:

One can expect everything from those communists! SmileySo glad Switzerland isn't part of the EU! Smiley

Switzerland is not part of the EU - however, recent observations suggest that Switzerland is too small to withstand pressure from larger neighbors Smiley

Conrad2:

Do not fear, before this happens we all will be in the netherworld.Smiley

TB993tt:
    dxpetrov:

Totally random, but fastest LC car I have been in was my 530PS Nissan GTR which 0-100 in about 3.2s which was laugh at loud fast. I have just come back from a local theme park which has a ride "RITA queen of speed" which catapults you 0-99kph in 2.5s according to the web...... This acceleration was simply mind blowing, proper fierce........ I am contemplating just how fierce this new Turbo S will be with its sub 3s 0-100kph SmileySmileySmileySmiley

I was at Ferrari world and gave a ride on the Formula Rossa which take you from 0-100kph in 2,0sec and 0-240kph in 4,9sec on slight step hill which improve the acceleration sensation, without helmet, so you can imagine the G's Smiley,  amazing sensation, almost unbelieveble Smiley

Just for the record a Formula 1 makes round about 2,3 0-100 and 4,4sec 0-200kph.

J.Seven

Conrad2:

No. Maybe on trucks and buses though, even commercial vehicles maybe, never on private cars, at least not for the next couple of years.

We have discussed this in a different thread (look for it...).

--

SuzyF:
    Conrad2:

You are more than you think. Look what happened with the bank secrecy...it is practically gone (and funny enough, many foreigners still having "black" money there don't seem to understand the repercussions they are facing in the near future).

Speaking of Switzerland: I rather drive in Germany (or even Italy) for that matter than in Switzerland. Don't take it the wrong way but drivers are aggressive and the police...well... Smiley Also Swiss customs...oh boy: They kept me waiting almost an hour in(!) my car (I wasn't permitted to get out) because they checked my passport when entering and they told me afterwards that I once used a diplomatic passport when passing through Switzerland (which may be true...more than a decade ago Smiley) and now they have to check what is going on. I explained that I do not work for the government anymore and this is why I have a private passport but I was in my 997 Turbo and the customs officer was quite aggressive, so I didn't want to fight him. After one hour(!!!), he asked me what I am doing in Switzerland and if I have money with me. I told him I was looking to buy Nestle but I wasn't sure if a swiss bank would be the better choice. I told him that in a very serious manner with a serious face, so he was starring at me quite surprised, returned my passport without saying a word and let me go. Worst experience at a border EVER and I just wanted to visit some buddies in St. Gallen (I went to school there, could have even talked in "Schwizerdütsch" to him but he was such an ass). Another bad experience was with a unmarked BMW police car close to the St. Gotthard tunnel. They claimed I accelerated too fast when I passed a car but this was complete nonsense (we had a Cayenne Turbo with a sport exhaust but it wasn't that loud...). They didn't have any video or whatever and they asked me to sign some sort of paper and then I would go off with a warning they said. I refused, they threatened to confiscate the car (not even sure they can that) and in the end, they let me go without paying anything because one nut job passed us at an incredible speed (at least 200 kph in a 100 kph...I think...zone) and they went after him. Probably more to get from that idiot than from me. Smiley One reason I avoid Switzerland as much as possible, luckily my friends there visit me in Germany, so I don't have to drive to St. Gallen anymore.

--

Hahaha yes you're totally right about that, although many things also depend on which kanton you are in my experience. But just believe me... If you have your own business and/or are wealthy and you've lived and worked in Holland or Belgium, Switzerland is just paradise! Okay.. The driving is not as nice as in Germany, but when you are driving on beautifull passes or mountainroads, you quickly forget about it ;) 

I can't really say that the drivers are aggressive over here... My opinion was that the trafiic was pretty smooth and friendly. Not as smooth as in Germany, but go drive in Belgium and you know what I mean :) i had the feeling that I was the one driving a bit too aggressive here in Switzerland and needed to adjust a little. Now I'm mostly in relax-mode (at least I try) when driving in traffic and save the more inspired me for when I'm on empty, twisty mountainroads :)

in the end, I'm very happy to live here (I admit that it was something I always wanted)  and I will never go back to Holland or Belgium, at least not to live there, anymore. 

--

I'm just another female petrolhead :)

SuzyF:

in the end, I'm very happy to live here (I admit that it was something I always wanted)  and I will never go back to Holland or Belgium, at least not to live there, anymore. 

Glad to hear you are happy there, I am more of a Florida type of guy. We love the sun and the ocean. Smiley

--

Conrad2:

So if you go through a busy neighborhood doing the legal 50km/h or 30miles/h and run over a few people in the process, you could claim that your car only optically recognized the roadside signs. "It wasn't me police officer it was my car".

Whoever, devises these regulations must be an w*nking je*k. There is no substitute for the human brain and education.

--

"Form follows function"

They should first put the limiters on Spanish trains! 

My favorite place to drive is Andorra. 

PS - if you car has Andorran plates and a speed camera in an EU country catches you speeding - no worries.  Forget about it.  My dad has a stack of such tickets and thinks it is very amusing.

Leawood911:

PS - if you car has Andorran plates and a speed camera in an EU country catches you speeding - no worries.  Forget about it.  My dad has a stack of such tickets and thinks it is very amusing.

Unless the police stops you and checks the (Andorran) license plates. Smiley I hope he has his toothbrush with him all the time, just in case... Smiley Especially in certain countries (I heard for example that France can be fun...they keep foreign license plates on file for many years to come). Switzerland is also well known of keeping track of traffic violations of foreigners. So when he arrives at the border and the guy there checks the license plates...you get it.

So if your father travels a lot with the same car (and license plates), he better be careful. I would exchange the license plates if possible.

Speaking of other EU countries: The official traffic violation "information exchange" agreement between the various EU countries starts on November 7th 2013. Up to now, only certain EU countries had agreements with each other.

--

RC:
    Leawood911:

Unless the police stops you and checks the (Andorran) license plates. Smiley I hope he has his toothbrush with him all the time, just in case... Smiley Especially in certain countries (I heard for example that France can be fun...they keep foreign license plates on file for many years to come). Switzerland is also well known of keeping track of traffic violations of foreigners. So when he arrives at the border and the guy there checks the license plates...you get it.

So if your father travels a lot with the same car (and license plates), he better be careful. I would exchange the license plates if possible.

Speaking of other EU countries: The official traffic violation "information exchange" agreement between the various EU countries starts on November 7th 2013. Up to now, only certain EU countries had agreements with each other.

--

i do not think that the UK reacts to continental EU license plate queries.....at least i hope not....so far they did not.

peter

All EU countries will participate in the agreement as far as I heard. No exceptions.

--

RC,

Given you have driven the TTS would appreciate any comments regarding the following from Evo that just came out:

"However, any concerns about the paddle action melt away in the presence of the ‘virtual’ intermediate gears introduced for the Turbo to increase efficiency (what else?). In practice this means that the gearbox shifts up earlier than it usually could but without stalling the engine; it then slips the clutch to bring the revs up to the minimum practical engine speed. It feels like it’s on the verge of stalling and makes the car feel deeply unresponsive – and surely you buy the Turbo S to feel overwhelmed by its performance potential on every journey…"

I presume/hope this behavior goes away in Sport mode.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    782235 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442936 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263530 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261981 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    86041 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6042 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881727 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819981 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM