Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2013 Maserati Ghibli

sfo:
    RC:

I don't get it, maybe people want to be different but then why not get a Ferrari?

Maserati is a poor man's Ferrari ...

What a blabla. Sorry. angry

Believe me. The actual model range is competitive. The new design and models brought a lot of new prospects and customers to the dealerships. Most of them drove Porsche and were bored, that everyone drives one. All the guys told me, Porsche is losing its soul. Of course technically brilliant cars, but too perfect and too expensive in their opinion. 

€ 200k for a 991 TTS? Sorry, why? For what? It is not a Ferrari or Lamborghini? 170k would be a good deal.

€ 150k for a new GT3? It's too much. My old GT3 cost in year 2000 only € 100k and the 996 RS only € 128k. These cars were worth their money. Can anyone explain me, why i should pay now for a normal GT3 so much more?

The RS is driven now by an excellent driver and takes less than 1.57 min in Hockenheim. A new GT3 isn't really faster! 

I really love the Ghibli. Designwise IMO the ONLY competitor for the new facelift BMW 5 series. The only problem is that the car lacks a decent infotainment system and some refinement, which is quite important in a car like this. Smiley

However... The biggest problem of all is Fiat/Chrysler.Smiley They are ruining all their nice historic brands. Everything you could be proud of as Italian. Lancias have become just ugly rebadged chryslers, my beloved Alfa Romeo is almost completely dead, Maserati makes nice cars, but keeps falling behind in technology and refinement. Only Ferrari seems to be doing pretty well. The Ghibli could be the car that changes a lot, not only for Maserati, but also for its sister brands Lancia and Alfa, since the platform could be used to make successors to the Alfa 166 and Lancia Thema, which now is a rebadged Chrysler 300 Smiley How low can you go.......Smiley

--

I'm just another female petrolhead :)

SuzyF:

The only problem is that the car lacks a decent infotainment system and some refinement, which is quite important in a car like this. Smiley

Please explain? The new system Maserati Touch Control is a HD HDD based panel with touch sreen, DAB, audio streaming via Bluetooth and an excellent Garmin navigation? The voice control works excellent. Smiley

Okay Maserati has no nightvision, no distronic or side lane assist, but do we really need such assistance? I miss only one thing: the electrical boot lid.

But Audio and infotainment are excellent. Try it please, before you talk about. I doubt , you've done it.Smiley

I'm not impressed by the system that is used in the Gran Cabrio. Family of mine in Italy has a 2013 Gran Cabrio Sport and I drove that car for a few days when I was there to visit them.

The system feels like it is 10 years old, it's very slow, not very user friendly, the nav is bad, it looks dated. Even my uncle who owns the car complained about it, coming from a BMW 6-series cabrio. The iDrive is way better and no comparison to the system used by Maserati. Also, the car itself doesn't feel that ridgid, the roof is very slow.

but... And this is a big BUT... When you touch that Sport-button, you forget everything I just said! That sound! It's addictive! It's a car with emotion like an Italian car should be. It's far from perfect and the build quality isn't that well but it gives you goosebumps when driving it and makes you wanna drive it all day long. That's a quality that not all german brands can offer. (Except Porsche :)).

That said, how do these qualities transfer to a Ghibli? It's not a convertible, not all engines sound as great as the V8, especially the diesel, so that part is not working for all the models. Good buildquality and refinement are now the biggest things that the car needs to have and if the infotainmentsystem is the same as in a 2013 gran Cabrio, than it is years behind the systems BMW and Audi use.  I truly hope tis car will becoma a huge succes. Maserati desrves it, but to be honest... I really have my doubts and that makes me sad.

--

The infotainment system in the new Ghibli is completely different to the one in the Gran Cabrio/Turismo.

ISUK:

The infotainment system in the new Ghibli is completely different to the one in the Gran Cabrio/Turismo.

Okay... That's very good news.  Didn't know that SmileySmileySmiley Sorry....

--

KF:

Believe me. The actual model range is competitive. The new design and models brought a lot of new prospects and customers to the dealerships. Most of them drove Porsche and were bored, that everyone drives one. All the guys told me, Porsche is losing its soul. Of course technically brilliant cars, but too perfect and too expensive in their opinion. 

€ 200k for a 991 TTS? Sorry, why? For what? It is not a Ferrari or Lamborghini? 170k would be a good deal.

€ 150k for a new GT3? It's too much. My old GT3 cost in year 2000 only € 100k and the 996 RS only € 128k. These cars were worth their money. Can anyone explain me, why i should pay now for a normal GT3 so much more?

The RS is driven now by an excellent driver and takes less than 1.57 min in Hockenheim. A new GT3 isn't really faster! 

Because I eat every other so called super sports car for breakfast most of the time? Smiley If not on the Autobahn, on the track and country roads.

Speaking of the Maserati Stradale MC: A regular 991 Carrera S, nothing really fancy, outruns the "sport model" from Maserati on the track and on straight line. Where is the value in that? Smiley Another point is that many people in Germany associate a Maserati with Ferrari and/or with money, while a 911 is still considered something more common. This is something I appreciate, not something I actually despise.

If Maserati would offer a car for the same price of Porsche and it would be faster (both straight line and track), I would re-consider. Right now, one of the brands which do not attract me at all is...Maserati. Aston Martin is a different story, the new Vantage V12 S would be interesting but for more money than the fantastic 991 Turbo S? Are you kidding me? No thanks.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Faster is not always better...

SciFrog:

Faster is not always better...

So slower is better? Smiley Smiley

Smiley

Maserati really sucks (right now), it may change in the future but so far, I don't know a single Maserati model I would like to own. That certain "itch" is missing. I would rather pay more and get a Ferrari. At least I get what I pay for.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

In Germany maybe you can drive fast at times. For the rest of the world, 0-70mph and 40-80mph is all that matters. You can get in real trouble for going over 80mph around here. In that exercise, the 991 TTS is a total overkill. Maserati are good enough, they procure other nice sensations (sound, exoticism). Even if the TTS was half the price of the California I wouldn't buy it. Same is to be said for the Panamera. It feels so sterile to drive...

For me the appeal of a Maserati is the style, individuality and to a certain extent the mystique and heritage of the name. Here in the UK with high traffic volumes, (although I'm now on holiday in Scotland where traffic volumes are much less but roads mostly much slower) 10/10ths Nurburgring handling is not so important. 

The Ghibli has much more appeal to me than a Panamera or a BMW 7 series. I'd rather have a Porsche 991 than a Gran Coupe though!

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

SuzyF:

I really love the Ghibli. Designwise IMO the ONLY competitor for the new facelift BMW 5 series. The only problem is that the car lacks a decent infotainment system and some refinement, which is quite important in a car like this. Smiley

However... The biggest problem of all is Fiat/Chrysler.Smiley They are ruining all their nice historic brands. Everything you could be proud of as Italian. Lancias have become just ugly rebadged chryslers, my beloved Alfa Romeo is almost completely dead, Maserati makes nice cars, but keeps falling behind in technology and refinement. Only Ferrari seems to be doing pretty well. The Ghibli could be the car that changes a lot, not only for Maserati, but also for its sister brands Lancia and Alfa, since the platform could be used to make successors to the Alfa 166 and Lancia Thema, which now is a rebadged Chrysler 300 Smiley How low can you go.......Smiley

Agree totally. I loved Alfas, now they are poor badge engineered Fiats. I wouldn't even swap an Alfa - any Alfa - for my Skoda daily drive. The last Alfa I had was a 1990 164 3.0 V6 Lusso that was sufficiently different and better than the Fiat Croma, Lancia Thema, and Saab 900 sister cars. One of the best cars I had, had some wonderful European tours in that car. The last Alfa worthy of the name. VW would have done a far better job preserving the heritage.

--

SciFrog:

In Germany maybe you can drive fast at times. For the rest of the world, 0-70mph and 40-80mph is all that matters. You can get in real trouble for going over 80mph around here. In that exercise, the 991 TTS is a total overkill. Maserati are good enough, they procure other nice sensations (sound, exoticism). Even if the TTS was half the price of the California I wouldn't buy it. Same is to be said for the Panamera. It feels so sterile to drive...

If I would live in speed limited US, quite frankly, I would either own a Bentley Continental GT Cab or a Corvette/Shelby Cobra GT500 Convertible, something like that. Either something luxurious or something loud and flashy. Smiley

I do not get getting a Maserati though, they just don't feel right in my opinion. I would rather prefer a Ferrari California (which is basically a re-branded Maserati development but this is a long story...) or an Aston Martin Vantage V12 Roadster.

--

The Continental GT is for the retired crowd... Maserati are for ones who don't want yet just another german sedan. It is totally unfair to bring back the California as a rebranded Maserati. As you well know Ferrari got their hands very early on the project and it is a true Ferrari. As a matter of fact it is an incredible package they managed to bring on the market (4 seats hard roof convertible).

The Maser is faster than a SL benz and that is probably as much its competition as anything else. Some people just want a very pretty car that sounds great, isn't on every corner and is fairly quick. Maseratis check those boxes. 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Taken from FChat:

FChat Team,
    I took delivery of my 2014 Cali two days ago, and have to say that I am extremely impressed with this car. I originally ordered the car solely to have the ability to get a 458 Spider at MSRP by Spring '15. I have previously owned a 2012 v10 r8 Spider and a 2013 Porsche Turbo S. I hated the transmission in the r8 which was an otherwise gorgeous car and was amazed at what an incredible piece of engineering the Turbo S is. However, I felt like the Turbo S was almost boring to drive albeit a world class machine. After driving my friends 458 Spider I was hooked but since I was not a previous Fcar owner I decided to order a Cali on my way to the spider as I am a convertible guy. After taking delivery of the Cali I have to say that I am blown away by the incredible driving experience. The car can go from a stately smooth roadster to a beautiful monster with the flick of a paddle. I have had a truly wonderful time driving the car in the past few days and after reading many posts and articles that indicted the Cali for various reasons, Im surprised at how much I love it. I am considering putting my deposit down on the next gen Cali instead of the 458 Spider. Also, i may put 458 wheels on the Cali but besides that I am in love. One last thing to add is that I live in Michigan where we have pretty terrible roads which the Cali navigates very well and the 458 less so. Not knocking the 458 in any way, its beauty and performance are enchanting. For now, I think that Im hooked on the Cali.

I am sorry but a Maserati just doesn't tick ANY box with me, nothing. The California is a nice looking, nice sounding cab but I would never get one. My wife loves it though, which should kind of point you into the direction of the California's customer group. I'm also not a great fan of the 458 but I love the F12.

Regarding the Bentley, I was referring to speed limited countries. Also, my wife likes the Bentley cab...  

I just don't see the point of getting a Maserati IF someone is truly into sports cars but  as they always say...different folks...different tastes.

--

RC:

I am sorry but a Maserati just doesn't tick ANY box with me, nothing. The California is a nice looking, nice sounding cab but I would never get one. My wife loves it though, which should kind of point you into the direction of the California's customer group. I'm also not a great fan of the 458 but I love the F12.

Regarding the Bentley, I was referring to speed limited countries. Also, my wife likes the Bentley cab...  

I just don't see the point of getting a Maserati IF someone is truly into sports cars but  as they always say...different folks...different tastes.

California is my wife's favorite car of all cars. She just loves it, even more than my 458. Smiley

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

pride355:
    RC:

California is my wife's favorite car of all cars. She just loves it, even more than my 458. Smiley

California is my favourite Ferrari after the F12. Do I have to worry Smiley  Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

I did not drve the California,but to me it seems like a pointless car - it is not much cheaper than a 458,you can have a 458 convertible now,rear seat are so small so it is not 4 seater either,it probably has no more luggage space due to roof in the trunk...so what is the point of it?(if we presume 458 is better looking,better to drive,faster and easier to sell when the time comes)

My kids (7 and 4) fit there and we often take days trips together. They love it and don't complain. This is invaluable. If I had a 458 I would hardly ever drive it (like my AM V8 Vantage Roadster).

Ok that is good enough reason-when i saw the car it really looked that rear seats can only be used in emergency

lor:

I did not drve the California,but to me it seems like a pointless car - it is not much cheaper than a 458,you can have a 458 convertible now,rear seat are so small so it is not 4 seater either,it probably has no more luggage space due to roof in the trunk...so what is the point of it?(if we presume 458 is better looking,better to drive,faster and easier to sell when the time comes)

California is a "normal" car that blends in any situation. The 458 is an exotic of limited usability almost anywhere. IMO the California classic look is more attractive and more lasting. Of course to each his own in matters of styling.

If the California was made as a fixed head coupe with more practical rear seats and trunk, I would have considered it very seriously.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

California is a "normal" car that blends in any situation. The 458 is an exotic of limited usability almost anywhere. IMO the California classic look is more attractive and more lasting. Of course to each his own in matters of styling.

If the California was made as a fixed head coupe with more practical rear seats and trunk, I would have considered it very seriously.

--

"Form follows function"

Smiley 

Except that I'd take a California as it is with the open top. More opportunity to hear that wonderful engine Smiley

--

dreamcar:
    reginos:

--

"Form follows function"

Smiley

Except that I'd take a California as it is with the open top. More opportunity to hear that wonderful engine Smiley

Take a 458 Spider. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    dreamcar:

Take a 458 Spider. Smiley

I wish......Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688200 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408564 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255483 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234699 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65333 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857457 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773151 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM