Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: I fell in love with a 991 Carrera S Cabriolet (short report)

What interior did you order Suzy for your Rhodium?

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

What interior did you order Suzy for your Rhodium?

I'm still on two minds to be honest. Since I have postponed my delivery to march, I still can make changes to my order. Originally I had planned to go for Agate interior with deviated stitching in silver. 

Now I'm doubting LTS in Black-Carrera red (like on the Turbo S).  In fact, I even am not completely sure about the Rhodium yet... The color I would really like to have is something in between GT-Silver and Agate grey metallic. That means I would have to go for PTS. Smiley (meteor grey metallic??)

Still being able to make changes is very nice (now I get the Sport Design mirrors), but makes it also very difficult. The longer I think, the more difficult it gets. (I know... I'm indecisive) LTS and PTS would get quite expensive. I would even go above the price of a base Turbo Smiley so I also have to consider if it is worth it. Smiley

--

I'm just another female petrolhead :)

Agate exterior is too dull on the sportscars IMO. I saw one today in the local showroom and I didn't like it at all. There was a Cayenne in the same colour next to it. On the SUV it looked very nice and appropriate.

Are there any new colours for MY 2014? Check with the dealer.

Rhodium is a nice colour but too bluish to be purely sporty. Like the old Polar Silver which wasn't silver enough.

My choice would be the GT-silver. A special colour but not as expensive as CTS, but still not ubiquitous. The grey undertones make it interesting and more dramatic than simple silver, as it changes its tone in bright sunshine or when cloudy and in the evening. Besides, it was the original colour of the iconic Carrera GT.

It combines well with black with silver stitching, espresso and two tone black-red.

Definitely, get the Sports Mirrors. They make a huge difference compared to the bulky originals.

If you consider Meteor Grey PTS, check out the Seal Grey too. It looked very nice of the 9X6 and 9X7 cars. Why not the 9X1?

This is my old 986 in Seal Grey, for reference.

137753514306303a7d40ebfc2de587dd0434e9f9a1523.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

The only new color for MY2014 was Rhodium. To be honest, I like black the mostt, but I hate washing cars and I'm experiencing it now with my Boxtser, so a color that needs a little bit less maintenance would be nice Smiley

Seal grey is indeed a very nice color. it's something like that what I'm looking for. The Meteor grey has a bit more warmth in it.  Still undecided yet... Smiley

My car will be my daily driver, all year long. It will also be used to go to my costumers so I want to keep the color a bit stealthy and "chique" at the same time. (That's why I definitely want the chrome trim around the windows and the Classic wheels)

The interior will be almost 100% sure agate with silver deviated stitching. It's warmer than black and not as brown as the Espresso. Black-red looks fabulous, but the chance that they don't get it right at Porsche is very big. (Red plastic parts on black dash are very common!).
    Also I don't like the idea for paying an awful lot more for an interior that is standard on the Turbo S, which is no different interior compared to the C4S. (They only need to pick a Turbo S interior and install in my car but charge over 5k on top of a standard two-tone interior for it.....Smiley)

PTS Meteor or Seal grey would be a good compromise I guess... Smiley

--

A few days ago I had a talk with my dealer about PTS, especially about the production delay. He was unsure and called Zuffenhausen. Fasten your seat belts, here comes the bad news: since they have a new paint shop for the 991, they must "re-sample" the color, regardless if it is a old Porsche color like Seal Grey or a Ferrari color like Grigio Titan. This process takes 6 months. Bringing this color into the production line takes another 6 months. I could not believe this, but it seems to be true. 

Yes it is true, although it's max. 6 months. Most of the time it is about 4-5 months for PTS. I have 7 months to go before delivery, so that's plenty of time ;)

I think I'm going to follow Reginos' advice and go for Seal grey with a simple black interior and platinum grey stitching. A classic combination. I just need to decide now, otherwise I keep thinking and changing. Really like the Seal grey. It's a classy and classic color. 

Thanks for the advice Reginos Smiley

--

Lock this spec and look no further. Seal Grey will be very unusual for a 991 and it will give you the warm balance betweeen Silver and Grey. Black interior is always classic and elegant and relatively maintenance free. The stitching will lighten it up sufficiently, I think.

wink

--

"Form follows function"

I haven`t seen Seal Grey on the approved PTS list . Do you have very recent information that this color is indeed available? I have been waiting for almost two months  for a precise feedback on few PTS colors I have inquired for the 991 GT3 and no reply yet from my P dealer. 

--

911 Club Coupe, 993 4S Riviera Blau, 12' Audi S4 Avant

Guys, too much fuss about colors, unless you really want to keep the car for a longer period of time.

I would take the color you like most and then do a foil job if you want something else. There are now metallic colors available with foil and the quality gets better and better, at some point high gloss metallic colors should be possible too (right now, even the best quality metallic foil colors don't have the same shiny look as real metallic colors).

For my upcoming 991 Turbo S, even the new Racing Yellow would have been nice, it goes very well with the PCCBs and attracts a lot of attention. This is however exactly the point: I do NOT want to attract attention with this car, I would to keep it as stealth as possible. The only reason I didn't take black is because black hides some design elements I like (like the side air inlets or the intercooler air outlets in the rear bumper). I am actually surprised that some people get these painted in the car color, the black contrast is actually very nice.

Agate grey wasn't my first choice but I chose a nice contrast with the interior (black/Carrera red bi-color) to make up for it.

My dealer also has an Agate grey Boxster S which looks very nice, was actually thinking of getting it (used) for my wife at some point but the summer is practically over, so it doesn't make much sense now.

It really depends on where you live: We had two met. grey Corvette Convertibles during our Las Vegas vacation (see photo). For the US and especially regions like Las Vegas, this color (grey) is way too tame, I would have preferred something more obvious, like red or yellow. Choosing a color isn't easy, I agree. Also Porsche makes it pretty hard with their PTS colors, the waiting time is insane and in my opinion completely unacceptable.

corv.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:

Guys, too much fuss about colors, unless you really want to keep the car for a longer period of time.

I would take the color you like most and then do a foil job if you want something else. There are now metallic colors available with foil and the quality gets better and better, at some point high gloss metallic colors should be possible too (right now, even the best quality metallic foil colors don't have the same shiny look as real metallic colors).

RC, I understand your consideration though  I do plan to keep the car for longer time and I do not care too much about resale value or whether the color will meet the tastes of its next owner . The 991 GT3 is the first 991 I would wish to own . The Turbo is great but I don`t live in Germany where I can drive the non restricted autobahn and truly enjoy its capabilities . Therefore  my preference goes to a slower though (in my view) more engaging 911 such as the GT3 would be  (of course haven`t driven any of the two so those are just perceptions). My wish would be to spec the car with a color that I like and possibly also with a more special interior than the one offered in the configurator. (In fact I asked the dealer about paint and leather to sample options). I know that I could wait 8-12 months for a car like that but have no problem with that (have two other 911s to drive anyway). 

With regards to the foil. They do look good but are not the real deal. I want to have the 911 factory painted . My other two 911s are both paint to sample and I guess the tradition shall continue.  Conversely If I would keep the car two - three years max than probably I would look at it in the same manner. Smiley

--

The new 991 GT3 is a wonderful car to own, no doubt about it. At some point I was thinking of buying one (and still getting the 991 Turbo S as a lease) but my wife wasn't too amused (to say at least) with that, so... enlightened Money of course is important and getting such cars requires a lot of thought and even some sacrifice at some point, so I think I am going to stick with my beloved leases because I usually get bored fast with cars and til now, I don't really remember a single car I regret not driving anymore (with one little exception but for sentimental reasons only).

Waiting 6-12 months for a specific paint would be impossible for me. I am the type of buyer who wants his car now. Instantly. The wait for the 991 Turbo S kills me, I hate waiting for a new car, I don't like it. Many people I know enjoy the wait, sometimes even more than the ownership but I am different. When I fell in love with the Cayenne GTS at my dealership, I had to had the car immediately and I got it and I am very happy with the decision. This is me, waiting is not my style. Surprisingly, I am actually a very calm and patient person but when it comes to toys, I have to have them NOW. Maybe I have some unresolved childhood issues I am not aware of. indecision

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

m4ever:

I haven`t seen Seal Grey on the approved PTS list . Do you have very recent information that this color is indeed available? I have been waiting for almost two months  for a precise feedback on few PTS colors I have inquired for the 991 GT3 and no reply yet from my P dealer. 

You're right. Seal grey isn't on the latest PTS list Smiley  (Latest list I have is from june)

Meteor grey is on the list, in feasibillity check for 991 and 981, but available for Panamera, stone grey metallic is available for 991 and 981, not on Panamera. I think I like Stone grey, it looks a bit like a mixture of seal grey and meteor grey on pictures.  Should try to see that one in person... It's a color used on 944 and 964 if I'm correct.

@RC: I know it is questionable if it is worth to go for PTS. On the other hand, the agate is too dark for my personal taste and both silver colors are very nice, but they're colors that so many people choose. I like to have a color that is a bit more exclusive. Could go for limegold of course ;) (which actually is a pretty nice color if seen in person)

Regardng the wraps... i'm not a fan of wraps. haven't seen a metallic wrap that has the same depth and shine in the color as real paint. I notice it right away when a car is wrapped. Wraps are nice for non-metallic colors though.

--

What I've heard, will PTS not be available for the GT3 untill MY2015 and I doubt if LTS will come available to be honest. Maybe if there are enough requests, they will do it.
    In the U.S., PCNA got a lot of requests for PTS on the 911-50, but Porsche refuses.

--

SuzyF:

What I've heard, will PTS not be available for the GT3 untill MY2015 and I doubt if LTS will come available to be honest. Maybe if there are enough requests, they will do it.
    In the U.S., PCNA got a lot of requests for PTS on the 911-50, but Porsche refuses.

Porsche also seems to ignore those who love matte colors. Even their newest paint shop, one of the most modern paint shops worldwide, cannot "do" matte colors. What a shame... Smiley Apparently Porsche thinks that the matte color hype is over. I wouldn't be so sure about it.

--

Yes, you're right. Matte paint isn't really a hype IMO. With modern technologies it now is feasible. you would expect that Porsche with its hyper modern paintshop would be able to do all kinds of paintjobs. Saw a very beautiful 991 in satin pearl white somewhere on another forum. Car was wrapped with 3M foil, but it lookes beautiful. (For matte and satin, wrapping is obviously perfect). Matte does the design of the 991 justice in the right color.

p

--

Yes, matte white looks very nice, so does matte LIGHT grey, which surprised me a lot (didn't think this could look good).

Matte black is kind of looking weird now since many owners of cheaper cars, especially very young people, started to use matte black paint or matte black foil for their cars, which are sometimes worth less than the paint/foil job. angry

I plan to paint my rims in matte black though, should go nicely with agate grey. The only problem is that I am worried about tire damages (they have to deflate the tires and remove them in order to do that), so maybe I am going to do this when I need new tires.

--

Hahaha agree on that matte black for a car! That's exactly how I think about it. ;)

Matte black rims  would look very nice on the agate exterior indeed. What wheels do you get? The CL wheels? 

--

SuzyF:

Hahaha agree on that matte black for a car! That's exactly how I think about it. ;)

Matte black rims  would look very nice on the agate exterior indeed. What wheels do you get? The CL wheels? 

Yes, against better judgement (cost) the CL wheels. I do not like the normal five lugs Turbo rims and even the Sport Classic rims aren't my thing. I don't like the Turbo S wheels too much, I love the GT3 rims but Porsche apparently thought that the Turbo S needs a more elegant approach. Smiley

--

RC & SUZY , here some 991 paint to sample shots I took during the 911-50 years Porsche Central -Eastern Europe event in Bratislava (Slovakia).  Sadly no real and tangible information on PTS GT3. I am afraid Suzy is right  will have to wait until model year 2015.

4.jpg

--

Not a friend of most of these colors but for a GT3, they would look quite nice.

--

I've locked my order this morning (finally!!) Smiley

Followed Reginos' advice in some way, except I went for Stone grey metallic, since that has passed the PTS feasibility check. Interior will be all black leather with silvergrey stitching. Delivery in march 2014...Smiley

Thanks for the help Smiley

Here are some pics of how the car ahould look like:

--

Very, very nice!1377861655888wow2.gif

Very nice, subtle and classy...shows lots of taste. Congratulations. Smiley

The stone grey metallic looks very nice, I wish I could get it for my Turbo S. Still not a friend of Agate...can't say why.

--

Thanks! :)

I really think this is a missing color in the line-up. There are two silver colors and there is Agate, but there's nothing in between, unless one is willing to go for PTS... Kind of a missed oppertunity for Porsche IMO.yes

--

SuzyF:

Thanks! :)

I really think this is a missing color in the line-up. There are two silver colors and there is Agate, but there's nothing in between, unless one is willing to go for PTS... Kind of a missed oppertunity for Porsche IMO.yes

Indeed. I don't want any silver tone but Agate grey is closer to brown than to silver, which is actually a problem for me. I find the meteor grey on my Cayenne GTS to be just perfect but... Smiley Sealgrey would have been nice too, saw it a couple of years ago on a GT2 and fell in love with it.

--

Meteor was my first choice, but unfortunatly that is stil in feasibility check. (In Leipzig they have no problems painting it on Cayennes) I had my order already postponed  to march, but I'm not willing to wait longer than that, so the Stone grey was a good alternative.

Agate has a brownish look indeed, depending on the light. That said, on the Turbo I kinda like it. Not sure why, but it suits the car well IMO.

Some colors have to grow on you, so I think in the end you're gonna like the color ;)

--

SuzyF:

I've locked my order this morning (finally!!) Smiley

Followed Reginos' advice in some way, except I went for Stone grey metallic, since that has passed the PTS feasibility check. Interior will be all black leather with silvergrey stitching. Delivery in march 2014...Smiley

Thanks for the help Smiley

Here are some pics of how the car ahould look like:

--

I definitely concur Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

Suzy, this is a friends 993 Turbo in Stone Grey (PTS) . It is a very special color. Your 991 will be pretty unique.

DSC04618.JPG

--

Now that is VERY nice.

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

Your car will be elegant and special . A very nice choice ! Looking forward to see some pics of the real deal 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763060 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435686 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260691 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257683 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80988 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5323 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872583 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808025 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM