Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

New Cayman Order - Need Help

My father keeps telling me to have weekend fun car for awhile and his friend advised him to buy an used 997.1 Carrera S. Because of my unpleasant relationship with my ex-997.1 Carrera S, I advised my father to buy 997.2 Carrera w/PDK.

Well, the market of 997.2 is still too high in Turkey with lately increased taxes. Therefore I looked for 987.2 Cayman which are stii expensive, too. To make the long story short, finally my father decided to get a new Cayman w/reasonable options in order not to increase the price, after seeing the photos of the car. I remind you that we have %171,4 tax on this type of cars. So we roughly pay triple the price of German netto price.

I decided on the configuration of the car and choose the fallowing:

Mahagony met. Paint 

Black alcantara/leather upholstery, heated seats (standart seats)

19" Boxster S wheels w/painted Porsche chest

Directional Bi-Xenon, rear park assist, rain sensor and auto dimming mirror

PDK, sport chrono, sport steering wheel w/paddles

Here comes the questions:

1) How is the standart suspansion of Cayman? Is it more comfortable than PASM in normal mode? The car won't be driven hard since my father doesn't speed at all. I want him to have a comfortable car and not the fastest possible Cayman. I will drive it also from time to time but I don't expect to have the best handling Cayman since I already own 458. So in terms of ride/road comfort, is stock/standart steel suspansion good on Cayman?

2) Shall I get servo steering plus? Is standart steering wheel feel heavy? Does feel of the standart steering change with sport/sport plus button? 

And one more question: how are the cayman sales in Germany? I will order the car from Germany, so how much discount shall I seek?

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

Re: New Cayman Order - Need Help

Don't know the Cayman, but I found the 981 Boxster standard suspension pretty hard. No too hard, but I assume your father is a bit older and then it might something to consider. 

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

The Boxster/Cayman suspension turrets are just behind the occupants (not the case in the 911 of course) and any suspension hardness on bad road surfaces is felt a lot, even without sports chassis. Get the PASM definitely.

Also, if your father is not into fast driving get the PS Plus. It will be a great aid for city driving. Have in mind that the Boxster/Cayman steering feels heavier than the 911 RWD.

Another point is that since the car will not be sports driving focused, why you don't consider the Boxster that will allow open top, fresh air cruising?

--

"Form follows function"

Can't recommend PASM highly enough for ride comfort. The electrically adjustable seats are also highly recommended you get a much wider range of adjustments than the standard seats and also adjustable lumbar support. Something we miss even on our 997, and the 981 seats are even better than the 987 / 997 ones. If we had had these two options on our own 987 Cayman it would not have been the disaster it turned out to be.

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

I had a 981 Boxster S without PASM on 19" wheels. Drove it for about 5 months and did around 4000 miles, including a trip to the Alps.

I live in central London where the roads are terrible.

The new 981 chassis is very stiff (more so on the Cayman), and the ride on 19" wheels without PASM is amazing .. a league ahead of the 987. It's as good as, if not better than, a standard Mercedes C class.

The only time I wished I had PASM was when I was in the Alps when I wanted to firm up the suspension on the fast, windy and sometimes bumpy roads.

Other than that, I did not miss PASM at all. You really do not need it on the 981 chassis with 19" wheels.

The one thing I would spec on a Cayman is the dual zone climate control .. otherwise you have to keep fiddling with the manual controls just ahead of the gear lever.

I wouldn't bother with Sport Chrono, as all 981s come with a "Sport" button as standard which makes the PDK plenty responsive enough. Sport Plus I found (when I had a PDK 981S Boxster for a weekend) to be completely irritating on a fast road driving as it hangs on to gears, refusing to change up.

There is in my mind, no point having the dynamic transmission mounts either (part of the Sport Chrono pack), as I doubt you would notice them, and they are nothing like as heavy as the engine (and why dynamic engine mounts make sense in a 911).

Power Steering Plus is also unnecessary in my view. It makes the steering unnaturally light, and in the transition from PSP to no PSP during sprited driving, the car feels momentarily disconnected. Horrible system. The 981S PDK I had for the weekend had PSP. Standard steering is not as light as a Mercedes but nothing strenuous at all, you won't break any sort of sweat using it.

If Bi Directional Xenons means PDLS, great. Standard Xenons on the S are a bit weedy. PDLS lights move, are brighter and has washer jets.

Consider the light design package as that adds a warm glow to the cabin at night. I loved it on the my 981S. Level of brightness is adjustable.

I would also add side door entry trims in stainless steel .. the standard items are a touch cheap and nasty.

993Targa:

Don't know the Cayman, but I found the 981 Boxster standard suspension pretty hard. No too hard, but I assume your father is a bit older and then it might something to consider. 

The Boxster I drove had 20" wheels, just to be complete.

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

I wouldn't risk a Porsche without PASM if driven on a variety of roads. In most countries roads vary a lot from almost perfect to broken and bumpy. 

I'd get PASM to be on the safe side. It's only a tiny proportion of the total outlay, anyway. Besides the variable damping, as a bonus you get the sport mode too, which might be of use sometimes.

--

"Form follows function"

Thank you all for the very informative comments.

I decided to get PASM, to be on the safe side but leave the Servo Plus steering out.

I consider to get Cayman because of the added space behind the seats as we don't usually open the top of the car Reginos.

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

sfo:

I had a 981 Boxster S without PASM on 19" wheels. Drove it for about 5 months and did around 4000 miles, including a trip to the Alps.

I live in central London where the roads are terrible.

The new 981 chassis is very stiff (more so on the Cayman), and the ride on 19" wheels without PASM is amazing .. a league ahead of the 987. It's as good as, if not better than, a standard Mercedes C class.

The only time I wished I had PASM was when I was in the Alps when I wanted to firm up the suspension on the fast, windy and sometimes bumpy roads.

Other than that, I did not miss PASM at all. You really do not need it on the 981 chassis with 19" wheels.

The one thing I would spec on a Cayman is the dual zone climate control .. otherwise you have to keep fiddling with the manual controls just ahead of the gear lever.

I wouldn't bother with Sport Chrono, as all 981s come with a "Sport" button as standard which makes the PDK plenty responsive enough. Sport Plus I found (when I had a PDK 981S Boxster for a weekend) to be completely irritating on a fast road driving as it hangs on to gears, refusing to change up.

There is in my mind, no point having the dynamic transmission mounts either (part of the Sport Chrono pack), as I doubt you would notice them, and they are nothing like as heavy as the engine (and why dynamic engine mounts make sense in a 911).

Power Steering Plus is also unnecessary in my view. It makes the steering unnaturally light, and in the transition from PSP to no PSP during sprited driving, the car feels momentarily disconnected. Horrible system. The 981S PDK I had for the weekend had PSP. Standard steering is not as light as a Mercedes but nothing strenuous at all, you won't break any sort of sweat using it.

If Bi Directional Xenons means PDLS, great. Standard Xenons on the S are a bit weedy. PDLS lights move, are brighter and has washer jets.

Consider the light design package as that adds a warm glow to the cabin at night. I loved it on the my 981S. Level of brightness is adjustable.

I would also add side door entry trims in stainless steel .. the standard items are a touch cheap and nasty.

Sfo,

Thank you for the comprehensive comments.

How is the gear changes in Sport + mode in manual? If the car already has "sport" mode, we may not need the sport chrono. This is a valid point.

Since I get the standart upholstery I can't get light design pack.

Cayman comes with halogen lights so the only option for Bi-Xenon is PDLS. I will also get the 2 Zone climate control as recommended. 

I guess it is better to get PASM since I had big trouble with my ex-997.1 sports chassie. I hate that car because of its stiffness and now I don't like my wife's Audi A1 because of its stiff ride. I would rather leave the Sport chrono and get the PASM.

Thank you for the help.

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

pride355:

Sfo,

Thank you for the comprehensive comments.

How is the gear changes in Sport + mode in manual? If the car already has "sport" mode, we may not need the sport chrono. This is a valid point.

Since I get the standart upholstery I can't get light design pack.

Cayman comes with halogen lights so the only option for Bi-Xenon is PDLS. I will also get the 2 Zone climate control as recommended. 

I guess it is better to get PASM since I had big trouble with my ex-997.1 sports chassie. I hate that car because of its stiffness and now I don't like my wife's Audi A1 because of its stiff ride. I would rather leave the Sport chrono and get the PASM.

Thank you for the help.

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

Sport Plus on a manual 981 includes rev matching .. this wasn't the case when I ordered my 981S, and I didn't spec Sport Chrono.

I did however use Sport Plus in the 981 PDK and also a 991 PDK .. I really found it irritating. For a car that will not be driven very spiritedly, there is no need for it. Sport alone will provide sufficient difference in PDK reaction speeds, IMO.

I had a 987.1 RS60 Spyder which came with PASM. My 981S on 19" wheels without PASM was miles ahead of the RS60 in PASM normal in terms of comfort and ride. There are 2 reasons for this: (a) 981 on 19" wheel tyres are a higher profile (40 instead of 35); and and (b) 981 chassis is much stiffer, and hence suspension tuning on non PASM dampers are much better calibrated.

As I said before, 981 on 19" wheels without PASM has a ride quality to rival, if not exceed, that of a C class Mercedes. It truly is exceptional. You need to try for yourself.

I would spend the PASM money towards a full leather interior which lifts the driving experience each and every time you use the car.

With all due respect, I find your renewed comparison of the stock cayman's ride and suspension comfort with the one of a sedan like the MB C class (or other cars in that category as a matter of fact), and you even going so far as to suggest that the 19" non PASM would exceed the before mentioned sedan in that regard, excuse me, ridiculous.

I have driven both 981 Cayman and 981 Cayman S, each equipped with 19" wheels, and no PASM for a great great deal and I would consider myself to be in the same user and reference group as the OP's father and by no means, nowhere and at no time ever, is the the ride comfort and suspension quality of a non PASM 981 on 19" wheels close or comparable to the one of a, you named it, C class.

I feel your two posts are, in this respect, misleading and you are giving the OP a basically wrong idea. These cars are not in the same ballpark in terms of ride comfort and suspension. It's just wrong and I don't see how one could reach that conclusion of yours at all, to be honest.

My 2cents? If the OP would like to have his father experience a somewhat familiar level of comfort, PASM it will be. No question. Still then, there will be differences and a gap to what one is used to from outside of the Porsche universe.

SCNR

FWIW - I has PASM on my 997S - do not have it on my 991. I know 911 will be different to Boxster/Cayman but I don't miss it at all. (it was a necessity on 997). Actually also agree on SportChrono. Have this also on my 991 and probably use it 5% (i.e. sport Plus) of the time. It's great when in the mood - but Sport in manual mode with PDK is probably more fun most of the time. I'm currently spec'ing a 981 Boxster and will not bother with SportChrono or PASM.

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

Little update on the matter:

On Sunday, I visited Porsche Dealer w/ my father and also tested a Cayman with "steel" suspension, Servo plus steering, Sport chrono, PDK, 19" wheels, basic alcantara/leather trim in luxor beige. I didn't drive the car and let my father did. He likes the car and said "ok, let's buy one".

My observations about the car:

1) "Steel" suspension is definately stiff. My 458 obserbs the road imperfections much better. So PASM is way to go.

2) During the drive, my father didn't even use "sport" mode and I think he will never do. So no need for Sport chrono.

3) Alcantara trim is nice, especially when it is black. I would definately prefer it over leather seats (I paid extra for alcantara in my 458). However my absolute favorite is full natur leather espresso which is not so much necessary for us when the price is considered (actually price + our %171.4 tax)

4) I play little with the servo plus steering and find it too light. It feels too artificial. I didn't drove the car but found it unnecessary.

5) Finally we decided on "white" color. My favorite is platin silver but it is no longer available. In real life, we found mahagony and achtgrau too dark and finally settled with white.

6) 2-Zone climate control and front-rear park distance control are preferred by my father, so we also choose them.

We haven't given the order yet, since we are still negotiating. The car costs 142.500 Euro with our options and still quiet expensive. We'll decide weather I buy the car from my German source or Turkish vendor. 

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

Your points above are all very logical and correct  kiss

I presume you will stay with the standard 18" wheels. Or you think of going 19"?

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

I presume you will stay with the standard 18" wheels. Or you think of going 19"?

I'm thinking of choosing Boxster S wheels since 18" have tires w/too high side walls.

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

pride355:
    reginos:

I'm thinking of choosing Boxster S wheels since 18" have tires w/too high side walls.

Very good choice. Better looking than the Cayman S 19"

--

"Form follows function"

I much prefer the Cayman S 5 spoke 19" wheels .. very easy to clean!

The spokes on the Cayman S wheels are too thick, too blocky, for my liking. Of course, it's all a matter of personal taste.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

The spokes on the Cayman S wheels are too thick, too blocky, for my liking. Of course, it's all a matter of personal taste.

Reginos,

It is all matter of taste, as you said and our taste is similar Smiley

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

Maybe you should consider the ventilated seats too. They really work!

--

There is no try. Just do.

I would try the electrically adjustable seats though - they have a much greater range of adjustments than the standard seat including (on the latest model) an extendable leading edge of the seat base and tilt adjustable seat base. Makes a huge difference to the comfort of the car and missed them hugely since we had them on our 987 Boxster - and the latest ones are even better. Can't recommend them highly enough.

--

Pentium:

If alcantara is selected the ventilation option is not available, as far as I know.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    Pentium:

If alcantara is selected the ventilation option is not available, as far as I know.

That is correct and I find them unnecessary on alcantara upholstery. The car will be driven only on weekends and will be kept in underground garage. The leather/alcantara racing seats in my 458 italia has either heating or ventilating and I have no problem with them. Alcantara is just perfect.

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

dreamcar:

I would try the electrically adjustable seats though - they have a much greater range of adjustments than the standard seat including (on the latest model) an extendable leading edge of the seat base and tilt adjustable seat base. Makes a huge difference to the comfort of the car and missed them hugely since we had them on our 987 Boxster - and the latest ones are even better. Can't recommend them highly enough.

I agree with you but fully electrical seats are another 10K euro (after the taxes) so we decided to pass it.

Our Final spec for the car is:

AD - Black Alcantara/leather upholstery

583 - Smoker pack

250 - PDK

342 - Heated Seats

400 - 19" Boxster S wheels

475 - PASM 

573 - 2-Zone A/C

603 - Bi-Xenon PDLS

636 - Front and Rear Parking sensor

840 - Sport Design steering wheel w/paddles

P13 - Auto Dimming mirror/Rain Sensor

We are prone order White car but haven't decided yet. I kind of like rhodium silver which has ice blue shade in it. The achtgrau is another possibility but I find it too dark and we already ordered a paladium grey Mercedes E class and Dakota grey Audi A3. With my titanio 458, all cars will be in grey shade which is little boring.

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

Colour is a really personal thing, but I think white Porsches always look fantastic, silver does nothing for me - and more money saved - over half the price of the electric seats!! At least it is here. Smiley

--

I like Rhodium SIlver a lot, it's the 21st century polar silver, my all time favourite Porsche colour

Finally we ordered the car with the following specs:

Cayman MY14 - jan.14 built (unfortunately due to recent stupid law, the production year of the cars become their registered model years) That's why we are waiting 5-6 months.

Anthrazit Brown metalic exterior - black alcantara/leather interior (basic upholstery) - standart seats

Front and Rear Parking sensors, PDLS Bi-Xenons, Boxster S 19" wheels,

PDK, PASM, 2-Zone Climate Control, auto dimming mirror and rainsensor, sport design steering wheel w/paddles.

That's it. We keep it simple and relatively cheap. And the wait begins. 

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

anthracite brown is a rich, deep and lustrous colour .. lovely !!

Small update on the car:

After my recent visit in LA where I saw several rhodium silver 911s, I decided to change the color and get Rhodium silver. Because:

1) It will show the side lines, especially side air intakes of the car much better

2) It will age better with the car (we plan to keep it at least 10 years, or more to make it future classic)

3) Anthracite brown is a rich color but better suited for larger/longer 911 which has flat side lines.

I made the color change last week, so we still had time for Jan. production.

Yesterday, I saw a polar silver 993 and just love the classic look/color and the compact size of the car which is actually smaller than 981 Cayman. 

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

Love Rhodium Silver, it's a modern interpretation of Polar Silver smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688542 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408695 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255520 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234777 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65393 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4635 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857577 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773365 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM