Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: "Von Null auf Turbo" in Zuffenhausen

CF, my apologies for messing up your Event-topic by another OT post.

I just do not understand why you're all discussing the 997TT Ring time of 7'49", and even claiming that it's a disappointing time!!! While the Ring has been covered with snow NON STOP since january.

Just wait for the weather to turn, and THEN claim the achieved time is disappointing.

Quote:
    Porker said:

I just do not understand why you're all discussing the 997TT Ring time of 7'49", and even claiming that it's a disappointing time!!! While the Ring has been covered with snow NON STOP since january.

Just wait for the weather to turn, and THEN claim the achieved time is disappointing.

You mean the 7:49 has been achieved with snow? That would be excellent news

That or in a video game :-)

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Porker said:

You mean the 7:49 has been achieved with snow? That would be excellent news

IMHO there is NO 7'49"

Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    Quote:
    EricAlain said:

Buying and Driving a Porsche is a personal experience and I believe it is very difficult to draw a general rule.

So far my experience has been excellent ...

My first encounter with a Porsche sales person was many years ago in Paris. I was completely broke and was driving a banger ... The guy was very nice, he spent time with me explaining me many things .... I asked for a brochure and apologized that I will not a potential buyer any time soon .... He told me, no problem and added I will be driving a Porsche sooner than I think ....

Then few years later, when I was fully ready to really treat myself, I went to Braman (West Palm Beach, FL) and the sales guy was an absolute arrogant AssXXXle. I was so disappointed that I went to Champion (Pompano Beach, FL) and I met Larry a great guy, who has now become a friend of mine ... Everytime I go to Florida I make sure I swing by Champion to see Larry...

My lastest experience was at the Porsche Levallois Center in Paris and the sales guy was extremely nice ....

Bottom line much more very enjoyable experiences than bad ones .... but here again impossible to draw a general conclusion ...because after all, we are all humans.

PS : Driving my Porsche is still for me the best medecine .... when I'm down or depressed driving the car even just around the block is such a pleasurable experience that I don't see myself NOT driving a Porsche.

I agree.

I have had nothing but excellent rapport with my local Porsche dealership.

And I use my 996TTS as "tonic," especially after a hard day at work. Indeed, last night, I didn't finish my work day until 9:00pm, but I was able to jump into my car and blast around town for 20 minutes with some nice accelerations onto the highway at full throttle-sure, having 600HP to play with helped out! It relaxed me nicely after I returned home.

In a word, that is what a sport car is all about. It is an invigorating experience to release the daily tensions. But tell me, since your 996 TT has 600hp what would be the reason for downgrading to a 997TT with a "meager" 480hp?

Psychic Enrichment?

Quote:
    nberry said:
    In a word, that is what a sport car is all about. It is an invigorating experience to release the daily tensions. But tell me, since your 996 TT has 600hp what would be the reason for downgrading to a 997TT with a "meager" 480hp?

Good question, Nick, but I am not getting the 997 (base) TT, instead I am awaiting the S-and more importantly, my tuned 996TTS is a "keeper," it is simply WAY TOO MUCH FUN to let go of. While there are "grumblings" amongst us power-mongers that the 997TT, with all its electronic/computer sophistication, is too complicated for the aftermarket tuners, I believe the VTG's in the GT1-based, dry-sumped, turbocharged, 3.6L boxer six have incredible potential, and Porsche, holding to tradition, is limiting the 997TT's power and torque outputs, especially in the intro. model. I am interested to see how the S ups the ante power-wise, plus I might be interested in acquiring a PDK-tranny car, so hopefully it makes it to the 997TTS. I plan to keep my tuned 996TSCab and acquire a 997TTS, likely a TSCab, then see how the S stacks up against (admittedly more complicated and more pricey) tuning packages. I am aware of the obvious nullification of the warranty with an aftermarket job, and depending on the packages available, I might be willing to risk it. In sum, I won't be trading down since I'll be adding another car to the stable-and fortunately, our garage holds 4 vehicles.

Quote:
    Porker said:

I heard that the time has been achieved on a mostly dry, partially wet and very cold asphalt (around 5*C). Don't know if this is true and I don't want to feed further speculations. The mentioned 7:49 time was a time provided by a Porsche employee during a presentation event and it wasn't a time meant for the "public".

So why don't we just relax and wait for an "officially" confirmed time done by Sport Auto or any other reputable car magazine? It may be worse, it may be better but to know the truth, we have to wait and see. The fact that the 997 Turbo did the Weissach test track faster than the Carrera GT should tell us a lot about this car. Of course the Nordschleife is a different kind of track but anyway: the 997 Turbo isn't slow and it is definetely faster than the old one. More precise figures to follow...with the first "trustable" independent review.

I do not believe for one second that the Ring time for the TT, whatever it may be, will affect the decision of any prospective 997TT buyer. Much to do about nothing.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    I do not believe for one second that the Ring time for the TT, whatever it may be, will affect the decision of any prospective 997TT buyer. Much to do about nothing.

It will affect my decision.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Porker said:

I heard that the time has been achieved on a mostly dry, partially wet and very cold asphalt (around 5*C). Don't know if this is true and I don't want to feed further speculations. The mentioned 7:49 time was a time provided by a Porsche employee during a presentation event and it wasn't a time meant for the "public".

So why don't we just relax and wait for an "officially" confirmed time done by Sport Auto or any other reputable car magazine? It may be worse, it may be better but to know the truth, we have to wait and see. The fact that the 997 Turbo did the Weissach test track faster than the Carrera GT should tell us a lot about this car. Of course the Nordschleife is a different kind of track but anyway: the 997 Turbo isn't slow and it is definetely faster than the old one. More precise figures to follow...with the first "trustable" independent review.

That's all I wanted to know, thanks RC

I have no doubt the 997TT will be a blast to drive.

Quote:
    nberry said:

i have to agree with nick on this point. the tt has become a fat luxury car. porsche drivers interested in ring times should be looking at a gt3.

Quote:
    icon said:
    i have to agree with nick on this point. the tt has become a fat luxury car. porsche drivers interested in ring times should be looking at a gt3.

A. the 911 Turbo was never supposed to be a racing car for the track
    B. the 997 Turbo is the fastest (acceleration and handling-wise) 911 Turbo ever built by Porsche
    C. do you guys really have a clue what you're talking about?

For professional track racing, even the 997 GT3 won't do, a modified 997 GT3 RS is the better choice.
    All these Nuerburgring and track times are for COMPARISON only, to show how fast (or not) a car is.
    The fact that we mention the track time of the 997 Turbo, doesn't make the 997 Turbo the perfect track car. I really wonder how people get these ideas???

The whole discussion about the 997 Turbo performance, straight line and handling-wise, has become a ridiculous and pretty funny discussion. And what surprises me most is the fact that some of the posts are coming from actually knowledgable people who should know it better.

Now let me see, some of you are disappointed. OK, I am disappointed too, I wished Porsche would have given us a total monster, a car which destroys the competition. Porsche didn't. Now what? Do we commit suicide? Do we all buy now Ferrari instead? What happens next?

Sorry guys but I recommend a reality check: the 997 Turbo can't be a Carrera GT for a third of the money and it can't be a perfect track racer at it's weight. So if you're looking for one of the most refined sportscars in the world which doesn't have to be "ashamed" compared to the direct competition, you found yourself a winner. If you're looking for Carrera GT performance combined with the handling-performance of a Porsche Motorsport prepped GT3...let me tell you: you won't find it anywhere right now.

The 997 Turbo is one of the most impressive driving machines out there but apparently some of you haven't realized it yet. No wonder, the 997 Turbo isn't out yet on the market and even car magazines didn't have the chance to review it yet. And still...some of you keep going on bashing the car and I really wonder where all this "wisdom" comes from. Because it surely doesn't come from us.

Quote:
    RC said:
    The 997 Turbo is one of the most impressive driving machines out there

did you get a chance to drive the 997TT? if yes please give us some of your driving impression.

Quote:
    yarub1 said:
    did you get a chance to drive the 997TT? if yes please give us some of your driving impression.

If I say no, some won't believe me. If I say yes, some won't believe me. Let me put it this way: if I already would have driven the 997 Turbo, I wouldn't tell anybody since it wouldn't be very clever. I'm no Porsche employee and I'm no car journalist working for the "major players" on the market. Meaning: no way I would be allowed to officially drive the 997 Turbo and post it on this forum. Just read my posts regarding the 997 Turbo and try to have faith in me. Sometimes people can read a lot of things between the lines.
    No, I didn't drive the 997 Turbo yet. This is the only answer I can give you.

Interesting "official" Rennteam response.

Your editorial wisdom is needed a bit more often to keep
    the party faithful on track.

excellent post and reply to all those who critisize the Turbo
    I do agree with you RC, sometimes, I really believe those guys have absolutely no idea what they're writing about.
    Turbo's a road car not a track car.
    Same for the GT3 and the Carrera GT actually, they have been optimmised for amateur track use but they are certainly no track car!
    If one really wants a track car, get a Cup.

I have been amazed lately by the level of comments from users who clearly haven't even driven the Turbo!

Very sad indeed to judge a car only on numbers.

It proves they don't know much about the topic, best is to ignore their post man.

I agree with you Fanch and with RC.
    Nobody of us did not drive 997 Turbo yet! And there are some really strane comments about cars performance and so on... Let wait for first real tests(AMS or Sport Auto) and then comment the results.
    Personally, I don not care at all what people think about new Turbo. I am getting one and that is the most important thing for me!
    BTW, RC I hope that you will enjoy your TIP as much as I will enjoy my manual with LSD.
    Keep up with excellent work here on rennteam guys!

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    excellent post and reply to all those who critisize the Turbo
    I do agree with you RC, sometimes, I really believe those guys have absolutely no idea what they're writing about.
    Turbo's a road car not a track car.
    Same for the GT3 and the Carrera GT actually, they have been optimmised for amateur track use but they are certainly no track car!
    If one really wants a track car, get a Cup.

I have been amazed lately by the level of comments from users who clearly haven't even driven the Turbo!

Very sad indeed to judge a car only on numbers.

It proves they don't know much about the topic, best is to ignore their post man.

i agree. but let's face it -- this is kind of homemade since competitors, especially the F430, have been slagged off by porsche followers with "the turbo will thrash the F430 and eat the gallardo on the ring" in the past.

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    i agree. but let's face it -- this is kind of homemade since competitors, especially the F430, have been slagged off by porsche followers with "the turbo will thrash the F430 and eat the gallardo on the ring" in the past.

Very, very wise words, I totally agree.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:

Very, very wise words, I totally agree.

Agree too 100% Zz, but I do think those comments are pretty childish too by the way.

A car is so much more than numbers.

By the way, spent the weekend with plenty of F430 and one 06 Gallardo (during the Rallye de Paris) and the Ferrari is sensational! Love it!

Gallardo's good too but following it on the track, you can feel its heaviness leading to suffering brakes very quickly, shame.

But the Ferrari is sweet! Marginally slower than the Stradale though...

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    yarub1 said:

If I say no, some won't believe me. If I say yes, some won't believe me. Let me put it this way: if I already would have driven the 997 Turbo, I wouldn't tell anybody since it wouldn't be very clever. I'm no Porsche employee and I'm no car journalist working for the "major players" on the market. Meaning: no way I would be allowed to officially drive the 997 Turbo and post it on this forum. Just read my posts regarding the 997 Turbo and try to have faith in me. Sometimes people can read a lot of things between the lines.
    No, I didn't drive the 997 Turbo yet. This is the only answer I can give you.

Hmmm, that does sound interesting

I will no further comment the 997TT on this basis... Some posters might have inside knowledge

Quote:
    zzboba said:

I never said that and I have to confess that I never understood the people who posted such things. The F430 and the Gallardo are two very very fast and highly refined sportscars and even if the 997 Turbo will be a better performer (which hasn't been confirmed yet), it won't take long until Ferrari and Lamborghini close the gap or even build faster cars. This is when the Turbo S comes into the game.

We all are actually lucky bastards and we should keep our mouths shut. We have the honor to be able to drive some of the finest sportscars on this planet, so we really should cut out the crap from our discussions and have respect for the individual car choice of each of us. The F430, the Gallardo, the 997 Turbo, the Z06 and all the others out there are a gift from the car gods. We should start to appreciate it and not behave like little kids who argue about which game console is better, Playstation or XBox.

Quote:
    RC said:
    We all are actually lucky bastards and we should keep our mouths shut. We have the honor to be able to drive some of the finest sportscars on this planet, so we really should cut out the crap from our discussions and have respect for the individual car choice of each of us. The F430, the Gallardo, the 997 Turbo, the Z06 and all the others out there are a gift from the car gods. We should start to appreciate it and not behave like little kids who argue about which game console is better, Playstation or XBox.

Totaly agree the "my car is better than your car" discussions are childish and not up to the level of maturity of Rennteam.We should be thankful for the diversity of sports car currently on offer. 10 years ago there was no real competitor to the 993TT, but today there are other choices and sports car manufacturer are fighting hard by producing better products to get our money. Competition is good for us consumers.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690524 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409779 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256038 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235280 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65650 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858453 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774746 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM