Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: I fell in love with a 991 Carrera S Cabriolet (short report)

RC:

I had the luck to get a brand new 991 Carrera S Cabriolet for the weekend, we had very sunny and hot weather out here in Bavaria (33-36°C) and it was just perfect for a cab.

Car was equipped with Sport Chrono and the Sport Exhaust. No PDCC though.

I hadn't driven a 991 Carrera for some while and I was surprised how refined the car feels and drives now. Compared to my "old" 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet, the new 991 Carrera S is a different world.

The good and the not so good in some short sentences.

GOOD

- very good open air feeling, with the side windows down, this car rocks in nice weather

- very direct steering (though not as "firm" as I would have expected it, probably due to the Power Steering Plus), gets better at higher speeds

- Sport Chrono is a must have option, without it, the throttle feels not very responsive, the Sport and Sport Plus modes rock and even with Sport Plus active, the car still has tons of traction, there are basically no traction issues on dry pavement

- the Sport Exhaust is soooooo loud, I couldn't believe it. Up to 3000 rpm, the sound is just loud and not very Porsche like but over 3000 rpm and especially over 5000 rpm, the engine screams so loud that it is almost unbearable for the outside world (and for the co-passengers in the rear who had to keep their ears covered). Not sure if the car was in "dealer presentation mode Smiley" (the exhaust loudness wasn't cut off at certain speeds, it was there all the time, which was kind of weird) but this is the actually the first time I was using the sport exhaust button...to mute it down. Smiley

- PDK: I just love it. It shifts fast (much faster than the PDK on my 997 Carrera GTS) and even in auto mode, it shifts just "right". Actually, I was driving in manual mode all the time because it was so much fun to use, very good setup. So if people aren't happy with PDK, switch to manual mode. You don't have a clutch but I really don't care. PDK is also a must have option in my opinion.

- Engine: A little bit on the non-impressive side under 4000 rpm but if you rev it high over 5000 rpm, you not only get the engine screaming, it really revs freely up to the rev limiter. Very nice and sporty. It doesn't feel "numb" at higher rev figures, which is quite nicely.

- Chassis setup: The PASM sport setting is actually all you need, not too stiff with even a little bit comfort left. Very nice setup. I also didn't miss PDCC much but I have to admit that I could feel the lack of it. On the Autobahn, in high speed curves, the car felt and was very stable, no typical 911 "nervousness" as on older models.

- Engine power quite sufficient: I never looked much on the speedo but I was always quite fast at speeds of over 200 kph (125 mph), so the engine is quite sufficient for a sports car. You never actually feel the need for much more power in daily driving situations, something I wish I could say too about the Boxster S I test-drove (I always wished for a l ittle bit more, especially in the upper rev range).

- Cab roof very quiet when closed, also opens/closes pretty fast. I was able to open/close it at speeds up to 65 kph on the speedo, which was quite nice.

- Looks and attraction factor: Well, if you think a 991 Carrera S Cab doesn't attract attention, think again. So many people starred at this car, kids were pointing at it and wherever we parked, people came over and admired the car. We also had some negative reaction, mainly because of the loud exhaust but otherwise, it was quite a pleasant driving experience.

NOT SO GOOD

- Under 3000 rpm, the sport exhaust doesn't really sound like a Porsche 911, it is more of a generic and loud humming noise. Over 3000 rpm and especially over 5000 rpm however...well...the exhaust rocks.

- Price tag: Quite pricey (over 140k) for a 911.

- The steering is direct, it doesn't feel artificial at all (like on early 991 models) but it feels a little bit detached from the street. You can still steer very precisely and you get a feel for the road surface but still, I had to get used to it.

- Fuel consumption: I did it. Over 21 l / 100 km in a 991 Carrera S Cab. Ouch. Smiley My average fuel consumption after some mixed Autobahn/country road/city driving (always in Sport Plus mode and always shifting in manual mode) was 18 l / 100 km. Yes, I kind of had fun with the car all the time Smiley but in more quiet moments, fuel consumptions below 15  l / 100 km were possible.

- Interior is nice but I have to admit that it isn't quite worthy a 140k EUR car. The car had black leather all around but some deviating stitching and some carbon would have done wonders. Overall, it looks nice but Porsche needs to upgrade the interior at some point.

- Back seats: While slightly better than in the 997 Cab, there isn't much comfort left. They aren't too comfortable and shouldn't be used for longer distances. My 12 years old daughter already felt very uncomfortable after 50 km and my wife couldn't feel her feet anymore after she let my son ride in the front seat for 30 km. Smiley On the other hand, without using the back seats for passengers, you actually get an additional and pretty large cargo space.

My wife fell in love with this car and so did I. Unfortunately we also realized that we do not need (or want) the back seats because they are very uncomfortable, even for kids. I just wish Porsche would offer a Boxster with the same engine because to be frank, the Boxster S I drove a while ago wasn't even half the fun of this 991 Carrera S Cab. On the other hand, the Boxster S is half the money of this car, so maybe we are going to go for a Boxster S in the end, despite our newly found love for the 991 Cab.

If you are in the market for a cab and the price tag doesn't keep you away, the 991 Carrera S Cab is an amazing offer from Porsche. Just make sure you listen to the sport exhaust before you order it. Yes, you can turn it off but to be honest, I think it is a bit too loud for crowded areas (cities, etc.). I can't even believe I said this. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Curious to see the different perception some of our members have from these cars. I have hear from others that the 991 PDK is not so different from GTS, while you say it´s much betterSmiley I´ve heard the PSE is a must on 991 while you think it´s unbearable to the crwod Smiley . Anyway I tend to believe in you, your auto CV says it all Smiley

Till now I still didn´t have the chance to test drive the 991, went to Porsche dealer and they made me an offer on my 997.2 that I didn´t agree so there was no reason for me to go for a test drive, the difference for the 991 in price was to big to justify the change. A 991 S cab with proper options here costs around 170K Smiley for this kind of money you can easily drive a mint 2008 F599 which is a world of difference (V12 Enzo engine) and still have money t buy a used Boxster S in great conditions or even a 996Cab if you do a good search.

J.Seven

J.Seven:
    RC:

I had the luck to get a brand new 991 Carrera S Cabriolet for the weekend, we had very sunny and hot weather out here in Bavaria (33-36°C) and it was just perfect for a cab.

Car was equipped with Sport Chrono and the Sport Exhaust. No PDCC though.

I hadn't driven a 991 Carrera for some while and I was surprised how refined the car feels and drives now. Compared to my "old" 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet, the new 991 Carrera S is a different world.

The good and the not so good in some short sentences.

GOOD

- very good open air feeling, with the side windows down, this car rocks in nice weather

- very direct steering (though not as "firm" as I would have expected it, probably due to the Power Steering Plus), gets better at higher speeds

- Sport Chrono is a must have option, without it, the throttle feels not very responsive, the Sport and Sport Plus modes rock and even with Sport Plus active, the car still has tons of traction, there are basically no traction issues on dry pavement

- the Sport Exhaust is soooooo loud, I couldn't believe it. Up to 3000 rpm, the sound is just loud and not very Porsche like but over 3000 rpm and especially over 5000 rpm, the engine screams so loud that it is almost unbearable for the outside world (and for the co-passengers in the rear who had to keep their ears covered). Not sure if the car was in "dealer presentation mode Smiley" (the exhaust loudness wasn't cut off at certain speeds, it was there all the time, which was kind of weird) but this is the actually the first time I was using the sport exhaust button...to mute it down. Smiley

- PDK: I just love it. It shifts fast (much faster than the PDK on my 997 Carrera GTS) and even in auto mode, it shifts just "right". Actually, I was driving in manual mode all the time because it was so much fun to use, very good setup. So if people aren't happy with PDK, switch to manual mode. You don't have a clutch but I really don't care. PDK is also a must have option in my opinion.

- Engine: A little bit on the non-impressive side under 4000 rpm but if you rev it high over 5000 rpm, you not only get the engine screaming, it really revs freely up to the rev limiter. Very nice and sporty. It doesn't feel "numb" at higher rev figures, which is quite nicely.

- Chassis setup: The PASM sport setting is actually all you need, not too stiff with even a little bit comfort left. Very nice setup. I also didn't miss PDCC much but I have to admit that I could feel the lack of it. On the Autobahn, in high speed curves, the car felt and was very stable, no typical 911 "nervousness" as on older models.

- Engine power quite sufficient: I never looked much on the speedo but I was always quite fast at speeds of over 200 kph (125 mph), so the engine is quite sufficient for a sports car. You never actually feel the need for much more power in daily driving situations, something I wish I could say too about the Boxster S I test-drove (I always wished for a l ittle bit more, especially in the upper rev range).

- Cab roof very quiet when closed, also opens/closes pretty fast. I was able to open/close it at speeds up to 65 kph on the speedo, which was quite nice.

- Looks and attraction factor: Well, if you think a 991 Carrera S Cab doesn't attract attention, think again. So many people starred at this car, kids were pointing at it and wherever we parked, people came over and admired the car. We also had some negative reaction, mainly because of the loud exhaust but otherwise, it was quite a pleasant driving experience.

NOT SO GOOD

- Under 3000 rpm, the sport exhaust doesn't really sound like a Porsche 911, it is more of a generic and loud humming noise. Over 3000 rpm and especially over 5000 rpm however...well...the exhaust rocks.

- Price tag: Quite pricey (over 140k) for a 911.

- The steering is direct, it doesn't feel artificial at all (like on early 991 models) but it feels a little bit detached from the street. You can still steer very precisely and you get a feel for the road surface but still, I had to get used to it.

- Fuel consumption: I did it. Over 21 l / 100 km in a 991 Carrera S Cab. Ouch. Smiley My average fuel consumption after some mixed Autobahn/country road/city driving (always in Sport Plus mode and always shifting in manual mode) was 18 l / 100 km. Yes, I kind of had fun with the car all the time Smiley but in more quiet moments, fuel consumptions below 15  l / 100 km were possible.

- Interior is nice but I have to admit that it isn't quite worthy a 140k EUR car. The car had black leather all around but some deviating stitching and some carbon would have done wonders. Overall, it looks nice but Porsche needs to upgrade the interior at some point.

- Back seats: While slightly better than in the 997 Cab, there isn't much comfort left. They aren't too comfortable and shouldn't be used for longer distances. My 12 years old daughter already felt very uncomfortable after 50 km and my wife couldn't feel her feet anymore after she let my son ride in the front seat for 30 km. Smiley On the other hand, without using the back seats for passengers, you actually get an additional and pretty large cargo space.

My wife fell in love with this car and so did I. Unfortunately we also realized that we do not need (or want) the back seats because they are very uncomfortable, even for kids. I just wish Porsche would offer a Boxster with the same engine because to be frank, the Boxster S I drove a while ago wasn't even half the fun of this 991 Carrera S Cab. On the other hand, the Boxster S is half the money of this car, so maybe we are going to go for a Boxster S in the end, despite our newly found love for the 991 Cab.

If you are in the market for a cab and the price tag doesn't keep you away, the 991 Carrera S Cab is an amazing offer from Porsche. Just make sure you listen to the sport exhaust before you order it. Yes, you can turn it off but to be honest, I think it is a bit too loud for crowded areas (cities, etc.). I can't even believe I said this. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Curious to see the different perception some of our members have from these cars. I have hear from others that the 991 PDK is not so different from GTS, while you say it´s much betterSmiley I´ve heard the PSE is a must on 991 while you think it´s unbearable to the crwod Smiley . Anyway I tend to believe in you, your auto CV says it all Smiley

Till now I still didn´t have the chance to test drive the 991, went to Porsche dealer and they made me an offer on my 997.2 that I didn´t agree so there was no reason for me to go for a test drive, the difference for the 991 in price was to big to justify the change. A 991 S cab with proper options here costs around 170K Smiley for this kind of money you can easily drive a mint 2008 F599 which is a world of difference (V12 Enzo engine) and still have money t buy a used Boxster S in great conditions or even a 996Cab if you do a good search.

J.Seven

J.Seven, from the sentence in RC's report that I have highlighted in bold, I believe RC means that the PDK has been improved since the 991 launch Smiley I heard from him in another post that it is the case of the electrical steering.

Ziggy:

J.Seven, from the sentence in RC's report that I have highlighted in bold, I believe RC means that the PDK has been improved since the 991 launch Smiley I heard from him in another post that it is the case of the electrical steering.

I just dropped off my 991S for service and the service advisor mentioned another software update for PDK being needed.  I asked what was being changed and it sounded like just some minor tweaks.  It seems like they are always tweaking the software to further improve the various systems (a good thing), as this isn't the first update to my 991S. 

At least in my opinion the 991S PDK has always been much better than my old 997.2's PDK.  It was not a GTS, however, so can't comment on that. 

I wonder if these improvements can be done retrospectively to earlier cars? I suppose the software only should have been altered on newer cars.

--

"Form follows function"

1. The 991 Carrera S Cabriolet is a true sports car, no doubt about it. I cannot see or feel anything "GT" about it but of course the Cabriolet will never be a GT3. Just compare this car with a Mercedes SL, Jaguar XKR Cab or BMW 6 series Cab and you'll understand. 

2. The 991 Carrera S Cab is MUCH better in any way than my previous Carrera GTS Cab. I don't know how people can claim that there isn't much difference. There is a huge difference. The 991 Carrera S Cab feels more nimble, the engine revs more freely and PDK is just a joy to shift manually, so fast...absolutely no comparison with the 997 Carrera GTS Cab, sorry. The only point I may like more on the 997 Carrera GTS Cab is the steering feel but only at lower speeds.

3. PDK has been improved but it really is faster than on the 997 Carrera GTS Cab I owned.

Speaking of PDK updates: Caution with the current software update!!! There are reports that the exhaust "spitting" (when you release the throttle, that "put put put" sound) sound gets reduced substantially with the update. Not sure if true but you should pay attention to the "before" and "after" status.

--

To be honest, when I drove the 991 3.4,  my conclusion was that it is a better car than my 997.2 S in every single department, without sacrificing sportiness.

The old adage that "the best Porsche is the most recent one" is very true.

Moreover, if someone is not using the full performance of the 991 S (due to speed limits or attitude) the 3.4 may be a better buy. When going slower like in the 130-180 km/h range the smaller engine is more eager to rev and it feels more "full", responsive and pleasing. The larger engine comes alive after those speeds and when going relatively slow it is little frustrating.

--

"Form follows function"

I agree. For speed limited countries, the Carrera (without "S") will do just fine.

Yes, I agree...the 991 is in all aspects better than the 997 but of course many people (apparently not you) who own a 997 will deny that because otherwise, they would have to switch, wouldn't they?  So it is more convenient to convince yourself that the 997 is still great and at least as good as the 991. I can rely to that but this still doesn't make it true.

I'm still wondering about the PSE loudness though: This cannot be stock, it was insanely loud and it didn't cut off the sound at any speed. I have to check with my sales person again. 

--

Can you turn off the symposer now, on newer cars? I know that this is different from PSE.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

Can you turn off the symposer now, on newer cars? I know that this is different from PSE.

I didn't pay too much attention to it but pressing the exhaust button is quite effective, especially with the roof closed.

--

Here's some short clip of my wife kicks down on 991 Carrera Cab with the Sport Exhaust on! Speakers ON! smiley

--

Thanks RC, I second everything you said. And I'm glad that finally someone has the same fuel consumption. I always read in forums about how low it is, that people manage to do 10l/100km etc pp -- and I'm nearly always around 18-19l.

zzboba:

Thanks RC, I second everything you said. And I'm glad that finally someone has the same fuel consumption. I always read in forums about how low it is, that people manage to do 10l/100km etc pp -- and I'm nearly always around 18-19l.

If you get 10l/100km in a 911, you driving the car wrong ;)

--

I'm just another female petrolhead :)

Direct fuel injection engines are economical on part throttle and at steady speeds. Once you start pressing it consumes like any other.

This is why what people manage varies a lot.

To achieve 10 lt you must do 120-130 km/h and try to stay in G7.

--

"Form follows function"

SuzyF:
    zzboba:

If you get 10l/100km in a 911, you driving the car wrong ;)

I drove mine to the south of France and back (1200 kms) and managed an 8.5l/100km (following the speed limits) smiley

Otherwise I do an average of 11.5l/100km but I drive it a lot on 110km/h limited highways...

The point is at 110 km/h or around he/she might as well buy a Golf and do 4-5 lt and be more comfortable too.

--

"Form follows function"

I drive my Cayenne GTS mostly in the city and never get below 19 l / 100 km. The reason? It is simple: I have the sport button active all the time (I enjoy the sound) and whenever I can, I fully accelerate, so I don't fall asleep.  This seems to do the trick, others get 13-14 l / 100 km with their GTS, which is insanely low for me. 

--

RC:

Speaking of PDK updates: Caution with the current software update!!! There are reports that the exhaust "spitting" (when you release the throttle, that "put put put" sound) sound gets reduced substantially with the update. Not sure if true but you should pay attention to the "before" and "after" status.

They did it on mine yesterday, and the exhaust sound is exactly the same, the "put put put" is still there and the car is still VERY LOUD ! Smiley

Just got mine back earlier in the week, was having seals replaced as part of a service 'action' in addition to the re-programming.  The Cayenne diesel loaner I had for a week didn't quite compare...

Exhaust, not sure any different, must experiment on the way home from work today!  So glad to have her back.1376680760947photo-1 - Copy.JPG

Glad to hear that nothing has changed regarding the exhaust sound. There were some very concerning reports about the latest PDK update on a German Porsche forum.

--

RC: I got confirmation yesterday at the local Dealer that the latest upated changed the valve settings in the PSE. Thats the problem in my car. Thinking about installing a fake valve to adjust them to "always open".

Regarding consumption: The new car consumes hard driven in the country / city 13-14 and driven on the Autobahn in a fast way around 11 liter (whatever the Autobahn allows to do). When driving moderate it easily goes somewhere to 9-9.5 liter and you still are quick on the way (between 150 and 180km/h).

This is very good consumption compared to the previous DFI. Mine does 9-9.5 liter @ 120-130 km/h with very short bursts to 160-170 km/h.

On a country road with curves and plenty of revs it never falls below 14.5-15.5 liter.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

This is very good consumption compared to the previous DFI. Mine does 9-9.5 liter @ 120-130 km/h with very short bursts to 160-170 km/h.

On a country road with curves and plenty of revs it never falls below 14.5-15.5 liter.

In the same conditions as described my 997 (X51) is around 10.5 - 11.5 litres , while on curvy roads with sportive driving 14.5 - 16.0 litres. No big consumption difference on my 993 vs the 997 (which is quite surprising). I always use Shell V Power 100 fuel on both.

--

911 Club Coupe, 993 4S Riviera Blau, 12' Audi S4 Avant

997 is more fuel efficient but OTOH heavier compared to the 993. Moreover, I think that average speeds are much higher in the 997 in any given route, needing more fuel.

I've never seen above 15.5 liters I am glad to say.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

997 is more fuel efficient but OTOH heavier compared to the 993. Moreover, I think that average speeds are much higher in the 997 in any given route, needing more fuel.

I've never seen above 15.5 liters I am glad to say.

Good points indeed. The DFI engines represent with regards to  fuel consumption and performance quite a discontinuity vs the past. 

--

911 Club Coupe, 993 4S Riviera Blau, 12' Audi S4 Avant

We had two Corvette Convertibles as loaners in Las Vegas and while I think they are a good value for the money and the V8 sounds great when revving high, the 991 Carrera S Cabriolet felt MUCH MUCH sportier and agile. Not even starting to talk about the cheap looking interior and the bad seating position (couldn't get it right) of the Corvette Convertible. Traction control worked however pretty nicely and with it turned off, it was fun to leave some rubber on the asphalt (mostly when I did some donuts).

Funny(?) side story: The Ferrari and all the 911 Cabriolets were gone, even the Corvette Convertibles were hard to get(we managed through the Vice President of the rental company who helped us out). Only the Boxsters were sitting there in the lot and nobody wanted to have them... Smiley When only one Corvette was available and we almost took a Boxster, my son refused to drive in the Boxster. Speaking of reputation and perception. Smiley

--

RC, the fact that your son snubbed the Boxster is your fault. It's what he hears from his father indecision

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

RC, the fact that your son snubbed the Boxster is your fault. It's what he hears from his father indecision

No, it isn't. I actually like the Boxster but since my wife had one, he kind of thinks this is a car for women. Smiley He also watches all these "stupid" YouTube videos with supercars in them and there was never a Boxster racing a 911, Ferrari or Lamborghini, etc., so he assumes... Smiley

Maybe I should have added "spoiled kids" to my post. Smiley

Smiley

--

There was film called "Legally Blonde" with pink 986 indecision Images like that linger on!

--

"Form follows function"

RC:
    reginos:

No, it isn't. I actually like the Boxster but since my wife had one, he kind of thinks this is a car for women. Smiley He also watches all these "stupid" YouTube videos with supercars in them and there was never a Boxster racing a 911, Ferrari or Lamborghini, etc., so he assumes... Smiley

Maybe I should have added "spoiled kids" to my post. Smiley

Smiley

Every car is a car for women, just not every car is a car for men ;) hahaha Smiley

The Boxster however is a Porsche and Porsches are for men and women Smiley

--

reginos:

There was film called "Legally Blonde" with pink 986 indecision Images like that linger on!

What's wrong with pink? This is my PTS GT3 I have on order... ;)

Just kidding...Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762796 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435557 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260616 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257642 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80968 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5322 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872472 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807862 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM