Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

I fell in love with a 991 Carrera S Cabriolet (short report)

I had the luck to get a brand new 991 Carrera S Cabriolet for the weekend, we had very sunny and hot weather out here in Bavaria (33-36°C) and it was just perfect for a cab.

Car was equipped with Sport Chrono and the Sport Exhaust. No PDCC though.

I hadn't driven a 991 Carrera for some while and I was surprised how refined the car feels and drives now. Compared to my "old" 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet, the new 991 Carrera S is a different world.

The good and the not so good in some short sentences.

GOOD

- very good open air feeling, with the side windows down, this car rocks in nice weather

- very direct steering (though not as "firm" as I would have expected it, probably due to the Power Steering Plus), gets better at higher speeds

- Sport Chrono is a must have option, without it, the throttle feels not very responsive, the Sport and Sport Plus modes rock and even with Sport Plus active, the car still has tons of traction, there are basically no traction issues on dry pavement

- the Sport Exhaust is soooooo loud, I couldn't believe it. Up to 3000 rpm, the sound is just loud and not very Porsche like but over 3000 rpm and especially over 5000 rpm, the engine screams so loud that it is almost unbearable for the outside world (and for the co-passengers in the rear who had to keep their ears covered). Not sure if the car was in "dealer presentation mode Smiley" (the exhaust loudness wasn't cut off at certain speeds, it was there all the time, which was kind of weird) but this is the actually the first time I was using the sport exhaust button...to mute it down. Smiley

- PDK: I just love it. It shifts fast (much faster than the PDK on my 997 Carrera GTS) and even in auto mode, it shifts just "right". Actually, I was driving in manual mode all the time because it was so much fun to use, very good setup. So if people aren't happy with PDK, switch to manual mode. You don't have a clutch but I really don't care. PDK is also a must have option in my opinion.

- Engine: A little bit on the non-impressive side under 4000 rpm but if you rev it high over 5000 rpm, you not only get the engine screaming, it really revs freely up to the rev limiter. Very nice and sporty. It doesn't feel "numb" at higher rev figures, which is quite nicely.

- Chassis setup: The PASM sport setting is actually all you need, not too stiff with even a little bit comfort left. Very nice setup. I also didn't miss PDCC much but I have to admit that I could feel the lack of it. On the Autobahn, in high speed curves, the car felt and was very stable, no typical 911 "nervousness" as on older models.

- Engine power quite sufficient: I never looked much on the speedo but I was always quite fast at speeds of over 200 kph (125 mph), so the engine is quite sufficient for a sports car. You never actually feel the need for much more power in daily driving situations, something I wish I could say too about the Boxster S I test-drove (I always wished for a l ittle bit more, especially in the upper rev range).

- Cab roof very quiet when closed, also opens/closes pretty fast. I was able to open/close it at speeds up to 65 kph on the speedo, which was quite nice.

- Looks and attraction factor: Well, if you think a 991 Carrera S Cab doesn't attract attention, think again. So many people starred at this car, kids were pointing at it and wherever we parked, people came over and admired the car. We also had some negative reaction, mainly because of the loud exhaust but otherwise, it was quite a pleasant driving experience.

NOT SO GOOD

- Under 3000 rpm, the sport exhaust doesn't really sound like a Porsche 911, it is more of a generic and loud humming noise. Over 3000 rpm and especially over 5000 rpm however...well...the exhaust rocks.

- Price tag: Quite pricey (over 140k) for a 911.

- The steering is direct, it doesn't feel artificial at all (like on early 991 models) but it feels a little bit detached from the street. You can still steer very precisely and you get a feel for the road surface but still, I had to get used to it.

- Fuel consumption: I did it. Over 21 l / 100 km in a 991 Carrera S Cab. Ouch. Smiley My average fuel consumption after some mixed Autobahn/country road/city driving (always in Sport Plus mode and always shifting in manual mode) was 18 l / 100 km. Yes, I kind of had fun with the car all the time Smiley but in more quiet moments, fuel consumptions below 15  l / 100 km were possible.

- Interior is nice but I have to admit that it isn't quite worthy a 140k EUR car. The car had black leather all around but some deviating stitching and some carbon would have done wonders. Overall, it looks nice but Porsche needs to upgrade the interior at some point.

- Back seats: While slightly better than in the 997 Cab, there isn't much comfort left. They aren't too comfortable and shouldn't be used for longer distances. My 12 years old daughter already felt very uncomfortable after 50 km and my wife couldn't feel her feet anymore after she let my son ride in the front seat for 30 km. Smiley On the other hand, without using the back seats for passengers, you actually get an additional and pretty large cargo space.

My wife fell in love with this car and so did I. Unfortunately we also realized that we do not need (or want) the back seats because they are very uncomfortable, even for kids. I just wish Porsche would offer a Boxster with the same engine because to be frank, the Boxster S I drove a while ago wasn't even half the fun of this 991 Carrera S Cab. On the other hand, the Boxster S is half the money of this car, so maybe we are going to go for a Boxster S in the end, despite our newly found love for the 991 Cab.

If you are in the market for a cab and the price tag doesn't keep you away, the 991 Carrera S Cab is an amazing offer from Porsche. Just make sure you listen to the sport exhaust before you order it. Yes, you can turn it off but to be honest, I think it is a bit too loud for crowded areas (cities, etc.). I can't even believe I said this. Smiley

1375626725921cab.jpg

cab2.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Re: I fell in love with a 991 Carrera S Cabriolet (short report)

Great review RC!  kiss Love the agate with red!

Agree with the interior. That's why I went for the agate gray interior with full deviated silvergrey stitching on my 991 order. Also ordered almost every leather option. It makes it look much more exvlusive and rich compared to the standard black interrior. The interior is where you are most of the time, so personally I want that to look and feel at least as good as the exterior. 

Postponed my delivery to march 2014 though, because I didn't want it to get it delivered in the winter, so I bought a 2013 Boxster S as an interim car for the summer right now, although it probably will stay because I really love it. I agree that it does feel a litlle underpowered sometimes compared to the 991S, but it's a car, truly built with one thing mind... Having fun!

Both are great cars to own and having a MT Boxster S and a 991 C4S with PDK makes me believe that I can have best of both worlds. Boxster is a great fun car, the 991 is a more mature car and more suitable for daily driving.

--

I'm just another female petrolhead :)

Post pictures of you Boxster Suzy!

--

2011 Porsche Carrera 4S Platinum Silver (sold)
    2013 Porsche Panamera GTS Basalt Black

2013 Porsche Carrera S GT Silver

“The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively” 
    ― Bob Marley

ag23:

Post pictures of you Boxster Suzy!

Here are two pics... Don't want to mess up RC's thread Smiley

--

SuzyF:

Great review RC!  kiss Love the agate with red!

Agree with the interior. That's why I went for the agate gray interior with full deviated silvergrey stitching on my 991 order. Also ordered almost every leather option. It makes it look much more exvlusive and rich compared to the standard black interrior. The interior is where you are most of the time, so personally I want that to look and feel at least as good as the exterior. 

Postponed my delivery to march 2014 though, because I didn't want it to get it delivered in the winter, so I bought a 2013 Boxster S as an interim car for the summer right now, although it probably will stay because I really love it. I agree that it does feel a litlle underpowered sometimes compared to the 991S, but it's a car, truly built with one thing mind... Having fun!

Both are great cars to own and having a MT Boxster S and a 991 C4S with PDK makes me believe that I can have best of both worlds. Boxster is a great fun car, the 991 is a more mature car and more suitable for daily driving.

--

Congratulations, I didn't know you got yourself a Boxster S.

If you add the Boxster S to the 991 C4S price tag, maybe you could have gone for a 991 Turbo Cab next spring? Smiley

Speaking of the Boxster S: It is a fun car. Nothing more and nothing less. We are considering buying one and keeping it for at least five or six years. Still, the 991 Carrera S Cab is a different kind of beast and even if I sound a little bit arrogant, a 911 is a 911. This doesn't really pose an issue to a woman, my wife would love the Boxster too but a 48 year old guy like me in a Boxster could actually attract a laugh or two over here in the sports car scene. Smiley So I need to think carefully about it, even if I would have another beast (991 Turbo S) in the garage anyway.

Interesting decision to get a Boxster S while you are waiting for your 991. I was thinking about the same at some point a couple of months ago but I would have lost too much money (I didn't want to keep it) in the process, so I stood away from it. Kind of regret it now because the weather was super nice over here, something we didn't expect.

Enjoy your Boxster S, very nice choice indeed. Smiley

Yes...PHOTOS please...lots of them.  Thank you. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Hey Suzy, Is that Black or Basalt black?

Great review RC, what makes it even more worthy is that you drove the 991 turbo S so this gives great perspective on how outstanding the 991S cab is. Smiley

Thank you for the review, interesting read. The 991 convertible is a great daily driver and weekend car. Imho for the first time this is a  911 that in convertible form looks good . Said that and since you await delivery of a 911 Turbo S  , the Boxster will be a very good and smart (value wise) choice.  I think the 981 has much improved the perception and image of the Boxster (which is unjustified in my opinion but that has always been intentionally driven by Porsche to separate it from the 911 lineup).

--

911 Club Coupe, 993 4S Riviera Blau, 12' Audi S4 Avant

RC:

- the Sport Exhaust is soooooo loud, I couldn't believe it. Up to 3000 rpm, the sound is just loud and not very Porsche like but over 3000 rpm and especially over 5000 rpm, the engine screams so loud that it is almost unbearable for the outside world (and for the co-passengers in the rear who had to keep their ears covered). Not sure if the car was in "dealer presentation mode Smiley" (the exhaust loudness wasn't cut off at certain speeds, it was there all the time, which was kind of weird) but this is the actually the first time I was using the sport exhaust button...to mute it down. Smiley

The exhaust is not cut off anymore on the 991 (at least on mine and on the one you've tried) like it was on the 997, and yes it is *very* loud in sport mode !

I really like the Boxster S but perception is a bitch and unfortunately we have a "tough crowd" here I have to deal with.  If I take a Boxster S for us (me and my wife), I will try to get a car which is as gender neutral as possible. Of course she would love guards red but... enlightened

I also have to consider the options very well because I want maximum sportiness, my wife wants maximum comfort and I think she isn't too fond of the bucket seats I suggested. Smiley

--

RC:

I also have to consider the options very well because I want maximum sportiness, my wife wants maximum comfort 

sounds like you "need" PDCC ...

RC:

If you add the Boxster S to the 991 C4S price tag, maybe you could have gone for a 991 Turbo Cab next spring? Smiley

Speaking of the Boxster S: It is a fun car. Nothing more and nothing less. We are considering buying one and keeping it for at least five or six years. Still, the 991 Carrera S Cab is a different kind of beast and even if I sound a little bit arrogant, a 911 is a 911. This doesn't really pose an issue to a woman, my wife would love the Boxster too but a 48 year old guy like me in a Boxster could actually attract a laugh or two over here in the sports car scene. Smiley So I need to think carefully about it, even if I would have another beast (991 Turbo S) in the garage anyway.

Interesting decision to get a Boxster S while you are waiting for your 991. I was thinking about the same at some point a couple of months ago but I would have lost too much money (I didn't want to keep it) in the process, so I stood away from it. Kind of regret it now because the weather was super nice over here, something we didn't expect.

Enjoy your Boxster S, very nice choice indeed. Smiley

Yes...PHOTOS please...lots of them.  Thank you. Smiley

it wasn't really planned. It's maybe not my most favorite color (don't like washing black cars), but I was at my dealer and saw the car. It had black Carrera  S wheels, which I didn't really like on a black car, but it had only done 2500km since februari this year and it was a manual (don't see them too often).  Drove it, got a smile on my face and my heart was sold...Smiley  Only changed the wheels.

The car is Basalt black, has all the tech-goodies (PASM, PTV, Sport Chrono, PSE) and a pretty basic leather interiior, although it has ventilated seats which are very nice when it's 36 degrees Celsius.Smiley In this car it doesn't bother me that the interior doesn't have that luxurious feel, because it's not a daily driver. I did a little roadtrip last weekend in Switzerland and Italy (Really wanted to drive the Stelvio). it was Fantastic. Like you said the weather was perfect!

i could have ordered a Turbo S for the price of the two together indeed, but the Carrera S4 is more than enough power for me and personally I like the looks of the 4S better than the Turbo. I love that rear end of the C4S. Together with the Boxster I have best of both worlds IMO. That Boxster will stay for at leat 4-5 years. 

Here's another shot with some nice sceney ;)

--

I want PTV, the 20 mm Sport Chassis incl. LSD, the Sport Chrono Package, the Sport Exhaust, the Bi-Xenon lights and the Sport Bucket Seats and of course PDK.

My wife wants Full Leather with deviating stitching or whatever, Park Assist front and rear, Heated Seats, Ventilated Seats (we learned to love this option on the 991 Carrera S Cab) and the BOSE sound package.

Now we have to combine everything but my wife kind of opposes the 20 mm chassis and the sport bucket seats. 

--

Tony007:

Hey Suzy, Is that Black or Basalt black?

Basalt black. I'm very glad, because if it had been plain black I wouldn't have bought it I guess. Black is already not my most favourite color (although I do like it) and plain black gets very easy a lot of swirls. That would make me crazy... (Even more crazy than I am now Smiley)

--

RC:

I want PTV, the 20 mm Sport Chassis incl. LSD, the Sport Chrono Package, the Sport Exhaust, the Bi-Xenon lights and the Sport Bucket Seats and of course PDK.

My wife wants Full Leather with deviating stitching or whatever, Park Assist front and rear, Heated Seats, Ventilated Seats (we learned to love this option on the 991 Carrera S Cab) and the BOSE sound package.

Now we have to combine everything but my wife kind of opposes the 20 mm chassis and the sport bucket seats. 

That's a big mission you got on your hands haha. Mine has the adaptive 18-way seats and I love 'em. My understanding is that the Sport Bucket seats aren't available with seat ventilation BTW. The Bose package is nice, got that too. Burmester in the Boxster doesn't make sense to me because of the noise inside.

Can't say anything about the 20mm chassis. Haven't driven a car with it, but I wouldn't want it to be more firm than it is in Sport-mode with the PASM.

--

This is why my wife doesn't want the sport bucket seats...no seat ventilation. I can rely to that, the seat ventilation is great on a cab, the sweaty back doesn't look nice, especially with clothes where you can see the sweat angry but I really want the sport bucket seats, so... yes

I pay, so I think I am getting a saying in this but maybe I'm a nice husband and respect my wife's wishes...this one time. 

--

RC:

This is why my wife doesn't want the sport bucket seats...no seat ventilation. I can rely to that, the seat ventilation is great on a cab, the sweaty back doesn't look nice, especially with clothes where you can see the sweat angry but I really want the sport bucket seats, so... yes

I pay, so I think I am getting a saying in this but maybe I'm a nice husband and respect my wife's wishes...this one time. 

Hahaha! I get your point! ;)  I like the Sport Bucket seats, especially the look, but I found them hard to get in and out the car. With a mini-skirt it's almost impossible for a female to gracefully get in or out the car.Smiley

Wouldn't want to give up the seat ventilation either. That's a very nice feature. And accordimg to an uncle of mine, you can even fart without anyone noticing! Smiley

--

Beautiful Boxster Suzy , congrats ! You have great mountain roads there. I drove the Stelvio few weeks ago, great place.

--

911 Club Coupe, 993 4S Riviera Blau, 12' Audi S4 Avant

SuzyF:

the aluminium look roll bars are a lovely contrast to the black paint

This is how our (me and wife)  "compromise" would look alike...91k EUR before rebate...ouch. 

box1.jpg

box2.jpg

--

RC:

This is how our (me and wife)  "compromise" would look alike...91k EUR before rebate...ouch. 

box1.jpg

box2.jpg

Wow! Love that color combination! Yes they can get pretty expensive....Smiley

only downside of the red interior is that my eyes don't like the glare in the windshield. (Don't have the best eyes) Drove a 911 with red interior. With polarized sunglasses however,  there's not much glare left. In a Roadster, that's shouldn't be a real problem. In a coupe with rainy weather it's a little bit odd to drive around with sunglasses though... ;)

Really love the contrast between the red and carbonfiber trim.

--

At least she would get "her" red. indecision

We like black a lot too instead of white but maybe this is too dark for a fun car. 

I was worried about the reflection too but the white 991 Turbo S I sat in had a black/Carrera red bi-color interior and it was just perfect. Maybe I could get something like that, I am afraid that you are right, the full red all over the leather could create a problem with reflections in the windshield.

Your black/black Boxster S would be also nice but like I said, we want something for the long haul and we are afraid that black would get boring after a couple of years. angry

--

RC:

At least she would get "her" red. indecision

We like black a lot too instead of white but maybe this is too dark for a fun car. 

I was worried about the reflection too but the white 991 Turbo S I sat in had a black/Carrera red bi-color interior and it was just perfect. Maybe I could get something like that, I am afraid that you are right, the full red all over the leather could create a problem with reflections in the windshield.

Your black/black Boxster S would be also nice but like I said, we want something for the long haul and we are afraid that black would get boring after a couple of years. angry

That's why black isn't my most favourite color, but with a second hand car you don't have that much choice. On the other hand, I started to like the black more and more now. 

That Red/black interior from the Turbo S is the most beautiful interior Porsche offers IMO. i did think about doing leather to sample on my C4S to get that interior, but it would only get more and more expensive and you have to be really carefull how it gets ordered, otherwise you end up with black dashboard with red sport chrono surrounding for example. Have seen terrible pictures on other forums of bad examples.

something like these: (look at the instrument surrounding and top of the dashboard)

--

This really looks quite nice. kiss I didn't realize that you bought your Boxster S second hand, this is actually an option we are thinking about too (91k EUR for a Boxster S is just crazy, even if we get some rebate).

I found a nice white one for 70k EUR with absolutely the right options and low mileage (8k km) but the interior is Espresso natural leather. Actually not bad at all.

box3.jpg

box4.jpg

--

RC:

This really looks quite nice. kiss I didn't realize that you bought your Boxster S second hand, this is actually an option we are thinking about too (91k EUR for a Boxster S is just crazy, even if we get some rebate).

I found a nice white one for 70k EUR with absolutely the right options and low mileage (8k km) but the interior is Espresso natural leather. Actually not bad at all.

box3.jpg

box4.jpg

That is a very nice car RC!  The Espresso interior is very nice and like the red interior it's natural leather which feels and looks better IMO. I did buy mine second hand, but actually i didn't want to buy a car at all! Just went to finalize my 991 order when I saw that car shine in the showroom. The previous owner traded the car in because he wanted a PDK and it had only 2500km on it. I liked the idea of driving a manual Boxster. 

Now I've aksed them to refuse me acces to the showroom, just to protect myself from buying cars spontaneously! Smiley

--

Oh, I know that craving to buy something on the spot pretty well. Thanks god, I god older (not necessarily wiser though ) and I am thinking much more about spending money and the future than I did before. This white car is very tempting, if my dealer had it in his showroom, well...maybe. angry My dealer has an agate grey car with black interior and the same options but it is new and it would cost me 80k EUR (after rebate), which is still a lot for a Boxster.

I am happy the summer is almost over, so I can stop worrying about a cab for a couple of months. 

--

Love the color combo Smiley

--
    Happy Driving

white and espresso really complement each other

As always, another GREAT report Smiley thanks for sharing Christian, very nice read.

J.Seven

Thank you RC for your report.

So, what is your verdict after this prolonged test drive:  Is the 991 too much of a GT or still a genuine sportscar? Bearing in mind that the loan car didn't have all the sports options and it was equiped  with the PS Plus.

--

"Form follows function"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690456 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409733 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255991 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235267 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65643 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858390 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774663 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM