Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Carrera Language: English Region: Worldwide Sticky: yes Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA Thread Closed

Sabre starts snow slidingkiss

IMG_0590.mov

Just enough left at 10,000'.

Re: SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA Thread Closed

Triple Blue 2012 still has a nice shape.  Actually quadruple blue if you count the window tintsmiley

IMG_0655.jpeg

So, to repeat a question

Do we go with this 5k mile -- with lugswink

IMG_6711.JPG

Or a lower mile Speciale?

Manual, Lugs, my favourite seats.....  older school...

1595381677441IMG_6710.jpeg

1595381691462IMG_6713.jpeg

it's growing on Sun....smiley

IMG_6708.jpeg

Rugged, butch and manly smiley I like it kiss

--

2016 Porsche 981 GT4 | Racing Yellow
    2018 Audi S6 Avant | Ibis White

sweet spot ! kiss

watt:

it's growing on Sun....smiley

IMG_6708.jpeg

this view still look very attractive and in line with today. the rear took a bit of old fashion but still a great car. you will not be disappointed. Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

The only GT2 I would consider is the 991 GT2 RS but I guess this is a matter of personal preference. 

Not a fan of manual in a car with so much power either.

Looks good though. kiss

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Perfect. Will only get better with time 

RC:

The only GT2 I would consider is the 991 GT2 RS but I guess this is a matter of personal preference. 

Not a fan of manual in a car with so much power either.

Looks good though. kiss

Gee RC,

Sun already had a GT2RS, don't you remember?Smiley

1595515368572IMG_3236.jpeg

It's too flagrant - imagine him slashing tight traffic in the rain in Wyoming, it would generate bad feelings. The wing is ridiculous.  Sun would like a GT2RS Touring, that would be TITZ!

And all 4 of his 996 GT2s were manual unguided missiles, whilst the 2008 is a guided missile, not quite the widow maker as thenSmiley

Sun's GT2RS, snow falling in Nevada last May.  The pinnacle of Porsche speed and handling,but the max Ricer wing too embarrassing for around town.

1595516215000IMG_3221.jpeg

Did you sell the GT2 RS?

watt:

Sun's GT2RS, snow falling in Nevada last May.  The pinnacle of Porsche speed and handling,but the max Ricer wing too embarrassing for around town.

Dammit, I think I lost count with your cars. Smiley Sorry about that.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Josef:

Did you sell the GT2 RS?

Yes Josef,

A rocket but just not Sun's cup of tea.  You can see from these pix the Mags look much better than the factory Alus, but those were safer at high speed in case of pot holes.

1595687062172DSC_9256-1600x900.jpeg

RC:
    watt:

Dammit, I think I lost count with your cars. Smiley Sorry about that.

Haha, RC,

It's easy to lose count, the GT2RS was Porsche number 62, and the Touring number 63, obviously Sun is lost himself... in Porsches past, present and futureSmiley

You sold the GT2 RS? Smiley

--

Watt,

Which were your favorites among the 64+ Porsches that you've owned and why?

Nelson,

Most of the guys here are either deeply knowledgeable on Porsche technology or outstanding drivers.  I am neither - my evaluations are empirical and intuitive.  I peaked as a driver 15 years ago maybe able to get 9/10 from a 996 GT2.  Some rust fell off last 5 track years in NZ: I could hussle a 991 GT3 or GT4 around well, but never as fast as my friend Leong who appears in this thread,

Favourite 911s.  The basic characteristics of 911s required mastery, the strange weight distribution meant things were different.  The was a special, nasty Tuetonic beauty to driving them, and great satisfaction in doing it well.  The fundamental feeling was exhilaration.

1. 996 GT2.  This car appears in this thread.  In short:  Drilling this wild sled out of a corner at Willow Springs at full squat with full boost was elation. Redline runs through Death Valley and Nevada are sublime. 100% concentration required. See thread comments. MY Fav ever. 45,000 miles in 4 of them.
    2. 930.  Like driving a hunting bow:  pressing the pedal like pulling back on the bow, the boost coming on like releasing the arrow - whooooshhshshsh!!!! Like being high on MDA, just wildly exhilarating, not that anyone here has ever done MDA.....At Redline Service in Santa Monica, owned by Pete Zimmermann, a superlative mechanic and author of The Used 911 Story, it seemed every week another 930 arrived with rear end damage:  The owner had lifted in a corner on Sunset and gone off rear first. The 4 speed was bullet proof but not great, downshifts 2nd to 1st difficult to master but required, but canyon slamming with the lag boost was a special skill.  My 5 speed greatly improved A wild ride, and had an oversize intercooler and bigger turbos for extra hilarity.  Great Memories from both.Smiley
    3. 1971 S.  The basic archetype.  Pete Zimmermann punched mine out to 2.4 like a 73, and changing gear sets was cheap and easy.  I finally optimised on a gear set that redlined in 5th at 137.  Light, tossable, torqueless so hard to drive well up hill  in the canyons, just a blast.  No AC which is only bell and whistle i need.  I painted my puppy shit yellow to Arctic Silver and installed Recaro buckets.  Never should have sold this car. Absolute sweetness.
    4. 1977 Carrera 3.0. A great all around performance 911, hard to find in USA.  Many wild rides through Connecticut back roads in this babe.
    5. 997 GT3RS.  Although we are evolving toward modern 911s, this light, tossable, simple, yet radical ride with a gear shift like a smooth bolt action rifle provided many super blasts across New Zealand. Covered in depth in this thread.

Modern Mutations.  Porsche engineering took a main focus to defusing, muting, mitigating or eliminating the basic characteristics of the 911, to make the car "more accessible"  to the twits who lease them like a new watch, and the Chinese, i.e., non involved "drivers".  Still some exhilaration was left in. Lots of bells and whistles and nannies obstruct the original.

1. 991 GT3.  Covered at length in this thread.  Hill climbing Takaka Hill in the wet, slithering out of hairpins was just one highlight covered.
    2. Touring.  Covered in this thread.  A perfect gear box.  If only the weight, the nannies and the bells and whistles were gone.
    3. 2012 C2S Cab.  This is more like a modern 356 Cabriolet.  An all around fun 911.  The namesake of this thread, read for more.
    4. Turbo S.  Covered in the previous "Sun Runs to Jackson" thread.  All 4 WD turbos are very heavy in the front, but teeing up a line of traffic and pressing the pedal to the floor is a mindblowing experience.  Unbelievably fast. But generally boring.
    5. GT2RS. Covered in this thread.  The wing must have been knocked off from a Honda hot rod from East LA, or a Ricer from Torrance.  A nasty rocket and fun, but not for me.

I see what you did there... “favorite 911s” indecision Your favorite Porsche is of course the manly, rugged and butch GT4. The ultimate canyon slammer! With a mechanical and sublime manual transmission and terrible long gearing 

--

bluelines:

I see what you did there... “favorite 911s” indecision Your favorite Porsche is of course the manly, rugged and butch GT4. The ultimate canyon slammer! With a mechanical and sublime manual transmission and terrible long gearing 

Well of course... Smiley

watt:

Nelson,

Most of the guys here are either deeply knowledgeable on Porsche technology or outstanding drivers.  I am neither - my evaluations are empirical and intuitive.  I peaked as a driver 15 years ago maybe able to get 9/10 from a 996 GT2.  Some rust fell off last 5 track years in NZ: I could hussle a 991 GT3 or GT4 around well, but never as fast as my friend Leong who appears in this thread,

Favourite 911s.  The basic characteristics of 911s required mastery, the strange weight distribution meant things were different.  The was a special, nasty Tuetonic beauty to driving them, and great satisfaction in doing it well.  The fundamental feeling was exhilaration.

1. 996 GT2.  This car appears in this thread.  In short:  Drilling this wild sled out of a corner at Willow Springs at full squat with full boost was elation. Redline runs through Death Valley and Nevada are sublime. 100% concentration required. See thread comments. MY Fav ever. 45,000 miles in 4 of them.
    2. 930.  Like driving a hunting bow:  pressing the pedal like pulling back on the bow, the boost coming on like releasing the arrow - whooooshhshshsh!!!! Like being high on MDA, just wildly exhilarating, not that anyone here has ever done MDA.....At Redline Service in Santa Monica, owned by Pete Zimmermann, a superlative mechanic and author of The Used 911 Story, it seemed every week another 930 arrived with rear end damage:  The owner had lifted in a corner on Sunset and gone off rear first. The 4 speed was bullet proof but not great, downshifts 2nd to 1st difficult to master but required, but canyon slamming with the lag boost was a special skill.  My 5 speed greatly improved A wild ride, and had an oversize intercooler and bigger turbos for extra hilarity.  Great Memories from both.Smiley
    3. 1971 S.  The basic archetype.  Pete Zimmermann punched mine out to 2.4 like a 73, and changing gear sets was cheap and easy.  I finally optimised on a gear set that redlined in 5th at 137.  Light, tossable, torqueless so hard to drive well up hill  in the canyons, just a blast.  No AC which is only bell and whistle i need.  I painted my puppy shit yellow to Arctic Silver and installed Recaro buckets.  Never should have sold this car. Absolute sweetness.
    4. 1977 Carrera 3.0. A great all around performance 911, hard to find in USA.  Many wild rides through Connecticut back roads in this babe.
    5. 997 GT3RS.  Although we are evolving toward modern 911s, this light, tossable, simple, yet radical ride with a gear shift like a smooth bolt action rifle provided many super blasts across New Zealand. Covered in depth in this thread.

Modern Mutations.  Porsche engineering took a main focus to defusing, muting, mitigating or eliminating the basic characteristics of the 911, to make the car "more accessible"  to the twits who lease them like a new watch, and the Chinese, i.e., non involved "drivers".  Still some exhilaration was left in. Lots of bells and whistles and nannies obstruct the original.

1. 991 GT3.  Covered at length in this thread.  Hill climbing Takaka Hill in the wet, slithering out of hairpins was just one highlight covered.
    2. Touring.  Covered in this thread.  A perfect gear box.  If only the weight, the nannies and the bells and whistles were gone.
    3. 2012 C2S Cab.  This is more like a modern 356 Cabriolet.  An all around fun 911.  The namesake of this thread, read for more.
    4. Turbo S.  Covered in the previous "Sun Runs to Jackson" thread.  All 4 WD turbos are very heavy in the front, but teeing up a line of traffic and pressing the pedal to the floor is a mindblowing experience.  Unbelievably fast. But generally boring.
    5. GT2RS. Covered in this thread.  The wing must have been knocked off from a Honda hot rod from East LA, or a Ricer from Torrance.  A nasty rocket and fun, but not for me.

Great write up, think I would find myself along the same lines if I'd have tried them all. Would love a 996 GT2 CS in a lasting collection for sure, ages beautifully too. Likewise a 997 RS, doesn't matter too much which one. Smiley

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Watt, Thanks for taking the time to provide your sage perspective. I recall your 996 GT2 and also enjoyed the  experience  with my 03. I've owned mostly the new stuff from 996 on but mostly GT cars and turbos and value your take vs the older generations.kiss

bluelines:

Get the Wingy GT3 with the manual gearbox...no more terrible gear ration and manly fast Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    bluelines:

Get the Wingy GT3 with the manual gearbox...no more terrible gear ration and manly fast Smiley

SmileySmiley

--

My 981 Spyder was a lot fun but my wingy GT3 with manual gearbox is the one I'll be keeping for a whilekiss

bluelines:

Haha Bluelines!

Yes Sun has bitched about that gearset at length, imagine the GT4 with a set equivalent to the Touring, a masterpiece was missedSmiley

And the 996 GT3 -- the gearset was so long, I ordered, it arrived, I drove, I sold the next day, just useless in the canyons.

I would add one comment to all this:  Centre Locks are a serious stupidity, setting the cars' practicality back eons.  Sun is in search of a centre lock free future.

the-missile:
    bluelines:

Better yet, take mine! The right color, the right mileage, the right amount of 'patina', the right mods, ... Think of how it will enrich your life Bluelines! SmileySmiley

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Porker:
    the-missile:

Better yet, take mine! The right color, the right mileage, the right amount of 'patina', the right mods, ... Think of how it will enrich your life Bluelines! SmileySmiley

Yours is probably too manly for BL but are you trying to find some space for a 812?Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    Porker:
    the-missile:

Yours is probably too manly for BL but are you trying to find some space for a 812?Smiley

SmileySmiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691168 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410239 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256270 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235434 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65759 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858879 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775191 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM