Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: New 991 Turbo/Turbo S - If you could change them...what would you want?

RC:
    Mithras:

No, I still don't understand. You put an extra gear in there for fuel efficiency and CO2. I'm fine with top speed being in 6th gear (6 are more than enough) and have a long long 7th. I would just like shorter gears 1 through 6. As it is both 6th and 7th are overdrives... The gap between 2nd and 3rd is massive right now and that has nothing to do with emissions or gas mileage. 

So you basically want Porsche to make the cars slower? Smiley Does this make sense to you? Especially nowadays, when "family" cars like the new Audi RS6, the new M5 or the latest E63 have a top speed of 305 kph (over 190 mph)? The 991 Turbo S is in my opinion the perfect Autobahn car, the top speed is high enough to satisfy most customers and of course the somehow "limited" top speed (318 kph or 199 mph) has also advantages for Porsche since they do not have to spend more money for tires, aerodynamics, etc. development/production cost. Every additional kph/mph in that speed range creates issues regarding tires, aerodynamics, cooling, etc., so keeping the speed lower, actually saves development/production cost and of course leaves some "air" left for future improvements.

Also look at McLaren for example: The MP4-12C is a very fast car with a top speed which will never be "needed" in most regions. So why doesn't McLaren provide a shorter gear ratio and thus a slower top speed? I'm no engineer but I guess there is more into it than meets the eye and according to engineers (not necessarily only Porsche) I've met and spoken to over the various years, adapting fuel consumption/CO2 values to new laws is a real pain in the ass. I take their word for it.

Like I said before, I'm no engineer but things aren't that simple (anymore).

Define slower! I couldn't give two hoots if a car can go 185mph or 205mph. But shave 1.5 seconds off the 0-200kph and I think you have a faster car, even if the top speed is slower...

There are only a few countries in the world where top speed is even close to a consideration. The overwhelming vast majority of Porsches are sold in places where they will never get to their top speed. But faster acceleration can still be used. I think THAT is what makes the car faster. And that is shorter and tighter gears. You don't need to be able to go 100mph++ in 3rd when you have 4 more gears!!!

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Shorter and tighter gears are a problem, I explained why. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

No you didn’t, you just said that the engineers know what they are doing and don’t question them! Yes you have Co2 concerns and fuel efficiency concerns. A high, overdrive top gear should still take care of those issues.

How many supercars have made their fame through super high top speeds? Many. They might not be the fastest cars in real life but they have outrageous top speeds and people lust over them. That is the main reason car companies make cars that go those speeds! I would prefer a car that was wickedly fast in useable zones and to hell with the performance in places I (and most of the world) can’t go.

199mph might make the perfect Autobahn car, but as I’ve said many times, no one outside of Germany can do that! I’d much rather a car that only went 150mph but got there a few seconds faster. That at the end of the day is the FASTER car.  

There is a reason the new GT3 has lower and tighter gears and it isn’t because it makes the car slower…

--

Mithras:

No you didn’t, you just said that the engineers know what they are doing and don’t question them! Yes you have Co2 concerns and fuel efficiency concerns. A high, overdrive top gear should still take care of those issues.

How many supercars have made their fame through super high top speeds? Many. They might not be the fastest cars in real life but they have outrageous top speeds and people lust over them. That is the main reason car companies make cars that go those speeds! I would prefer a car that was wickedly fast in useable zones and to hell with the performance in places I (and most of the world) can’t go.

199mph might make the perfect Autobahn car, but as I’ve said many times, no one outside of Germany can do that! I’d much rather a car that only went 150mph but got there a few seconds faster. That at the end of the day is the FASTER car.  

There is a reason the new GT3 has lower and tighter gears and it isn’t because it makes the car slower…

Have you seen the 991 Turbo S and 991 GT3 "comparison" data (fuel consumption/CO2 output) I posted?

I do not have any CO2 or fuel efficiency concerns, I couldn't care less. However, car manufacturers like Porsche have very serious concerns about CO2/fuel efficiency, simply because they are required to by the LAW. So they try to find the right balance between what people expect and what the law requires. 

Small manufacturers (I think under 10k cars per year in the EU) have lesser restrictions but Porsche is a different story, this is why they care A LOT about fleet consumption and hybrids.

Please get your facts straight, you cannot compare small manufacturers to Porsche.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

What would I change?

I'm not in the market for a Turbo, but I've just ordered my 2nd 991S Cab and I just have to say how disappointing Porsches color options are. I mean, a car for +140k Euros should have more color options than a 3-Series BMW (911: 14 colors, 3-series: 17). And who on earth needs two brown tones and that unbelievable ugly lime gold on a 911? 

The story continues with the interior choices. Recently I saw a Ferrari with a beautiful two-tone black-cuio interior. Cuio is a mid-brown leather. I love that color combo, but of course it's not available from Porsche. Instead, I can get the complete interior in blue. Yes.

A friend directed me just for fun to Bentleys car configurator. Amazing. Bentley and Porsche are not direct competitors, but Porsche should take a look at that. 

I ended up with black and black/platinum grey leather. Hope that will look good after the amazing red one I currently drive. 

So if I were Mr. Porsche CEO, I would immediately offer more colors for my customers. That cannot cost a lot, but it will give the buyers a much better feeling.  

+100,000,000

a back catalogue  of great colours should be available without paint to sample as should some new and interesting colours for the exterior and interior.

--

TomSilver:

What would I change?

I'm not in the market for a Turbo, but I've just ordered my 2nd 991S Cab and I just have to say how disappointing Porsches color options are. I mean, a car for +140k Euros should have more color options than a 3-Series BMW (911: 14 colors, 3-series: 17). And who on earth needs two brown tones and that unbelievable ugly lime gold on a 911? 

The story continues with the interior choices. Recently I saw a Ferrari with a beautiful two-tone black-cuio interior. Cuio is a mid-brown leather. I love that color combo, but of course it's not available from Porsche. Instead, I can get the complete interior in blue. Yes.

A friend directed me just for fun to Bentleys car configurator. Amazing. Bentley and Porsche are not direct competitors, but Porsche should take a look at that. 

I ended up with black and black/platinum grey leather. Hope that will look good after the amazing red one I currently drive. 

So if I were Mr. Porsche CEO, I would immediately offer more colors for my customers. That cannot cost a lot, but it will give the buyers a much better feeling.  

Smiley  couldn´t agree more!   One thing is the range/number of  colours, the other thing is how unique they are in the Porsche range. I would prefer to have more color/wheel/interior options exclusive for the 911 (apart from Boxster/Cayman), plus more options which are only available to turbo/GTs.

Unfortunately Porsche is going the other direction...Smiley

TomSilver:

What would I change?

I heard a rumor that the interior of the 911 will look much more refined/luxurious with the next generation than now.

Speaking of color choices: I agree but you can actually order almost ANY color combo from Porsche Exklusive, the only downside is the waiting period of up to 6 months and longer. Seriously, you can get almost any color combo you want, even different materials aren't a problem but every individual choice prolongs the waiting time.

The black/Carrera red bi-color interior for example is only available for the 991 Turbo S, no other Porsche 911 and/or Boxster/Cayman model.

I understand what you are trying to say, they need to extend the standard offers and offer some sort of catalogue to choose from but I guess this is too expensive since the offer the individual stuff from Exclusive. It is also my understanding that Porsche does not plan to offer matte colors in the future, the new paint facility is not capable of providing matte colors.

--

Regarding PTS = paint to sample: had just a talk with my sales rep about this. Porsche has a new paint shop for the 991  and due to this, it takes a bit longer to have an individual color. 

If you say to them "I want my 991 in Ferraris Grigio Titan", they say ok, then they check for six (!) months how that can be done. After that, they need another six months to  bring this special color to the production line. So you have to wait one year for a non-standard color.

I had a good laugh with the sales rep about this.

I had the same experience... if it would be 6 month...okay, you could make yourself comfortable with that. In fact, the info I got from production was...6 months minimum, could be more. And the same in case of a repair.

Same thing in case you order few tequipment items (seat/exhaust etc.). The waiting time is a joke...

BUT....Porsche will have 4 cylindre Q5 derivates soon....wow great! And you get them in the same colour as 911...Wow even better! That what counts these days in Zuffenhausen... Wrong focus...!? Squeeeze the heart of the business...!?

The problem seems to be liability. They just cannot do anything they want without making sure that it works up to certain standards. I know this sounds stupid but this is the way it is. Porsche is not your little niche manufacturer anymore. 

Btw: You'd be surprised to hear that we seem to be a special breed of customers. According to some talks I had, people like me (and probably you, since you seem to think similar) are only a minority. I wish Porsche would do a serious research in that domain but I just have to trust them that they know what they are doing. Even if they never actually asked me (or you) for that matter. yes

--

My Boxster is „paint to sample“. Grauschwarz, the color used for the 997GT3RS.

All my cars are leased, so I know when I will change the car the next time. Because of that 6 month waiting time should be no problem. I ordered the car 6 or 7 month before I returned the old one. Nevertheless I had about three weeks no car because there was a problem with my car. It was built but not ready for delivery. Nobody could (wanted to) tell me what was wrong with my car. Car was several weeks in Stuttgart waiting for the “Go!” for delivery. I didn’t know if this is good (Porsche takes care, only perfect cars are delivered to the customer) or bad (major trouble with my Boxster?). I wasn’t pleased about communication, nobody told me what was going on (Dealer: “sorry, no more info …”)

Stupid me scratched the car a little bit (park distance control has less inches to go when permanent beep starts than in my old Boxster) so I know it is absolute no problem to repaint parts of the car (maybe because it is a new “old” Porsche color).

For most people a car belongs to the bigger investments. If you buy or lease a Porsche this is not only a rational decision. I would never order something like that which isn’t as close to perfect for me as possible. And because the normal Porsche colors do not deliver what I want PTS was an easy decision.

For a car I drive 2-3 years, PTS is just a too long wait. I can always use foil to change the color, now even metallic colors are available, so no need for PTS. Just my personal opinion.

--

RC, how is the look of a glossy foil nowadays? Does it look natural, like paint? Or is matte the way to go with foil?

I'm not really happy with my color selection (black), but I also don't like the other colors except agate grey and red. Unfortunately my Panamera is agate and I just cannot order the third 911 in a row in guards red, even if I like the color. 

TomSilver:

RC, how is the look of a glossy foil nowadays? Does it look natural, like paint? Or is matte the way to go with foil?

I'm not really happy with my color selection (black), but I also don't like the other colors except agate grey and red. Unfortunately my Panamera is agate and I just cannot order the third 911 in a row in guards red, even if I like the color. 

I saw a car with a metallic foil and it looked quite nice. It doesn't offer the glossy surface of a real metallic paint but it is close to it. It is not matte (of course you can choose matte colors too...I am thinking about matte grey, matte white or a lighter matte grey).

Look at this photo for example, this is foil.

1375267318410red.jpg

--

Here is one of the recent Porsche PTS lists  . I am waiting for a feedback from Porsche on a PTS GT3 (1 month has already passed with zero info..). Some of those colors are really beautiful.

PTS list 2013_Page_2.jpgPTS list 2013_Page_1.jpg

--

911 Club Coupe, 993 4S Riviera Blau, 12' Audi S4 Avant

Thank you so much for the list(s), very informative but they are, according to my information, a little bit outdated (racing yellow for example is already available for the 991).

6 months and more are just way too much waiting time in my opinion. Not sure why, especially since many colors are "available" but still seem to delay the production by a huge amount of time.

Maybe Porsche could add some sort of express option to the game, getting the color much faster for an extra of 1000 or 1500 EUR. This should cover their "expenses" and logistics issues.

--

The huge paint to sample price already covers their costs. I firmly believe they don’t offer more colours because they make so much off of any PTS car they do. And waiting 6 months for a feasibility report for any colour they have done previously is silly as well. There should be a list (probably there is and it’s the one M4Ever posted where they know what needs to be done and have done it before. Those don’t need a feasibility done and it shouldn’t take a year to get the car.

Maybe there should be two levels of PTS, a semi-bespoke “this colour has been done before and we know it” where the price is more reasonable and the wait much more in line with any other ordered car (maybe an extra month or two); and a full on bespoke “we’ve never done this colour and need to do the full on feasibility testing which may not come back as doable.” That takes as long as it takes and is more expensive.

Gone are the days of the 993 Turbo S flatnose painted in epoxy pearl white metallic for the eye watering $13,800 from the factory… Even then it was one of 4 cars that year they were allowed to paint in epoxy that year.

At this point, if I was set on keeping the car for a long time, I would probably just order it in white and have it professionally painted afterwards. A wet sanded base/clear from a very good painter is going to beat what the factory is able to do.

--

RC: I do not know the version/date of this list .  Upon what you mentioned I guess there is a more recent list but I was not able to obtain it from my P dealer to whom I inquired about the PTS GT3. Besides, I have also inquired about the possibility of different color options for the interior (i.e. Exclusive). I will share it back when I receive a structured feedback.  By the way looking forward to read about your Turbo S !

--

911 Club Coupe, 993 4S Riviera Blau, 12' Audi S4 Avant

Mithras:

The huge paint to sample price already covers their costs. I firmly believe they don’t offer more colours because they make so much off of any PTS car they do. And waiting 6 months for a feasibility report for any colour they have done previously is silly as well. There should be a list (probably there is and it’s the one M4Ever posted where they know what needs to be done and have done it before. Those don’t need a feasibility done and it shouldn’t take a year to get the car.

Maybe there should be two levels of PTS, a semi-bespoke “this colour has been done before and we know it” where the price is more reasonable and the wait much more in line with any other ordered car (maybe an extra month or two); and a full on bespoke “we’ve never done this colour and need to do the full on feasibility testing which may not come back as doable.” That takes as long as it takes and is more expensive.

Gone are the days of the 993 Turbo S flatnose painted in epoxy pearl white metallic for the eye watering $13,800 from the factory… Even then it was one of 4 cars that year they were allowed to paint in epoxy that year.

At this point, if I was set on keeping the car for a long time, I would probably just order it in white and have it professionally painted afterwards. A wet sanded base/clear from a very good painter is going to beat what the factory is able to do.

In Germany, if you apply a third party paint, the car already looses a huge amount in value, no matter how good the job. Not sure about other countries though. This is why there is for example the Classic Department at Porsche, they keep the car original whenever work needs to be done, incl. the paint.

--

TomSilver:

What would I change?

Any special reason for you to go on your second 991?

I fully agree with you, Porsche should offer more different options, if you look at Ferrari or A.M interior, one being sporty and other classy, you can´t find that kind of good taste in Porsche options. Same for colors.

J.Seven

You can get any possible color combination you want, we said that before. The problem is the waiting time. 

Speaking of classy interiors, rumors indicate that Porsche works on a more classy interior for the 911 because the criticism doesn't seem to come from customers only. Maybe with the 992? angry

--

J.Seven

Yes. The car had at 16.000km a massive engine fault (piston seizure!).  I got a completely new engine,  but I've lost any confidence in the car. I decided to trade it in and the dealer made a good price. 

TomSilver:
    J.Seven

Yes. The car had at 16.000km a massive engine fault (piston seizure!).  I got a completely new engine,  but I've lost any confidence in the car. I decided to trade it in and the dealer made a good price. 

Ouch. Sorry to hear that. Smiley

--

RC:

Speaking of classy interiors, rumors indicate that Porsche works on a more classy interior for the 911 

Does that mean more ' GT / confortable ' or  simply a prettier  inside ? 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:
    RC:

Speaking of classy interiors, rumors indicate that Porsche works on a more classy interior for the 911 

Does that mean more ' GT / confortable ' or  simply a prettier  inside ? 

"Classier", whatever this means. According to rumors, the new 991 Turbo has received a lot of praise in comparison to the R8 and Gallardo successors but also some harsh criticism regarding the interior in that comparison because it (the interior) doesn't exactly fit the technological/driving performance achievements and of course the new (higher) price tag. Just a rumor but I am pretty sure about it.

--

Just this... According to info that I got directly from my P source 991 Turbo S is in every possible regard below new Lambo Cabrera.

When you see Cabrera specs few weeks before Geneva 2014 you will see what I am talking about here...

Also, I am hugely dissapointed with the fact that 991 Turbo/Turbo S engine is only "further devepolment" of 997.2 Turbo S engine. Accodring to what I know Porsche get all efforts to design new GT3 engine. AND here we have to be totally honest-new 991 GT3 engine and 991 Turbo/Turbo S engine have very little in common. Basically, they do not share any part. Check it out if you do  not belive me.

Each department has priorities and a budget. The GT3 development and the Turbo development are not connected. Porsche needed a new GT3 engine, they didn't need a new Turbo engine, even if the improved 997 Turbo DI engine doesn't share a single part with the "old" one. So whats the point of saying that the new GT3 engine doesn't share a single part with the new Turbo engine? yes 

If you compare the chassis/PTM setup of the old 997 Turbo and the one of the new 991 Turbo, you actually see where the real improvement has been done regarding the Turbo. The chassis and PTM. Don't forget that the 991 Turbo S weights substantially more than the new 991 GT3 and it still can outrun it on the track with the same tire setup, even if both cars would be very close in track performance. The 991 Turbo PTM/chassis incl. the rear axle steering are a game changer, a completely new generation. The engine is just an improved version of the "old" 997 Turbo engine because it didn't make sense to develop a completely new engine for the Turbo since the "old" engine is still good for 600 horses. I expect a completely new engine with the 992 or whatever the next generation will be called.

The Lamborghini Cabrera is a completely different story. This is not a daily driver, this is not a car with two additional seats in the back and I also don't see the Cabrera driving in winter time too often. You compare apples with oranges. The typical 991 Turbo S buyer would never get a Cabrera, simply because he/she has different priorities. Performance-wise, the Cabrera will be pretty close to 991 Turbo S performance in real life, maybe you should ask your P source what happened at the "Bolidentreffen". angry I don't want to flatter myself but I know the 991 Turbo S inside out now...and I didn't cancel my order. So this kind of means something. indecision The Cabrera will however outshine the 991 Turbo S in other domains, like looks, sound of course and the interior.

--

Oh, he told me what happened at as you called it "Bolidentreffen". BUT, his info is little bit different then the one that you got.

Do not that me wrong here-I still think that 991 Turbo S is a great car. BTW, I also got all info about 991 Turbo/Turbo S possible and thinking very hard about getting it(991 Turbo S in Rhodium Silver).

Just... Fact is that 991 Turbo S is NOT game changer. At least not in my opinion. I told that to my P source very directly few days ago while we cruised together with our families around Kornati islands. He basically told me what you write here on rennteam and talked very enthusiastically about new Turbo S. He even suggested that 991 Turbo S is a right choice for me.

When I asked him directly will 991 Turbo S beat forthcoming 458 MC, Cabrera or R8 V10(replacement model) at least on the autobahn his very honest answer was:"...if they all were driven by drives of same skills then the answer is no." He tried to show me that daily usability of 991 Turbo S is way beyond 458 MC, Cabrera or R8 V10 replacement. But, for me that is not enough I am affraid. I want killer sportscar for €200K, not "most usable sportcar" for that money.

KresoF1:

Oh, he told me what happened at as you called it "Bolidentreffen". BUT, his info is little bit different then the one that you got.

Do not that me wrong here-I still think that 991 Turbo S is a great car. BTW, I also got all info about 991 Turbo/Turbo S possible and thinking very hard about getting it(991 Turbo S in Rhodium Silver).

Just... Fact is that 991 Turbo S is NOT game changer. At least not in my opinion. I told that to my P source very directly few days ago while we cruised together with our families around Kornati islands. He basically told me what you write here on rennteam and talked very enthusiastically about new Turbo S. He even suggested that 991 Turbo S is a right choice for me.

When I asked him directly will 991 Turbo S beat forthcoming 458 MC, Cabrera or R8 V10(replacement model) at least on the autobahn his very honest answer was:"...if they all were driven by drives of same skills then the answer is no." He tried to show me that daily usability of 991 Turbo S is way beyond 458 MC, Cabrera or R8 V10 replacement. But, for me that is not enough I am affraid. I want killer sportscar for €200K, not "most usable sportcar" for that money.

What will be real lite acceleration to 200 and 300 of turbo s?))

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688901 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408881 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255606 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234855 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65446 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857708 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773647 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM