Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 911 GT3 (991)

nberry:

Review from Road and Track. What a review!

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...ad-test-review

Very good this review. Technical but also quite graphic the opening paragraphs.

However, what tyres did the GT3 wore during the "violent rainstorm" to have the AWD Audi annihilated at 130mph ? Are the standard semi-slicks (Dunlop Sport Maxx Race) so efficient in the wet Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

RC:
    nberry:

Porsche says worldwide demand for this car is beyond production capacity already. Even though it doesn’t exist yet.

Porsche must be thinking now,  that they have priced this car too low. They could have charged at least another 5% for this car.

--

"Form follows function"

I am pretty sure that the GT3 RS price tag will take care of that and furthermore, dealers will be less and less willing to give customers any rebate on the new GT3. When I first inquired about the GT3 at my dealer, he had a car left for September delivery. A few weeks later, he had one left for November delivery but now... enlightened He doesn't get many cars but still, impressive. He is very small.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

reginos:
    nberry:

Very good this review. Technical but also quite graphic the opening paragraphs.

However, what tyres did the GT3 wore during the "violent rainstorm" to have the AWD Audi annihilated at 130mph ? Are the standard semi-slicks (Dunlop Sport Maxx Race) so efficient in the wet Smiley

130 mph + violent rainstorm on the autobahn = how a friend of mine destroyed a 599 GTO (the guy drove Le Mans so he is not  really inexperienced ) . It is too unpredictable to drive those speeds on wet open , albeit, speed unrestricted roads. You never now what standing water condition you will encounter . At 130 mph the car will be nicely aquaplaning (GT3 or not). The GT3 is a great automobile, but the highlight is probably not the 130 mph on wet on autobahn.

--

911 Club Coupe, 993 4S Riviera Blau, 12' Audi S4 Avant

The "typical" 911 Turbo/Turbo S accident happens in the wet, on the Autobahn, at speeds around 125 mph. I'm not kidding. This is a very well known "issue" with the 911 Turbo models: Due to the AWD/steering setup, they feel very safe on wet pavement and then, at a certain moment....whammmm...and it happens. I saw a couple of 911 accidents due to high speed aquaplaning, they usually touch the middle guarding rail on the Autobahn. Especially with UHP tires, people need to be very careful, there isn't much of an error margin there. I had Michelin Sport Cup on my 997 Turbo and I decided to go with the street tires again because they were very tricky on rain (aqua planing) and furthermore, they caught up dirt pretty fast, not really the best tires for regular streets. With the right (outside) temperature though (and of course the right chassis setup), these tires were amazing in the dry. If you live in a very warm (and dry) region and if your streets aren't covered much by dust and/or sand (desert regions, etc.), the UHP tires really are great.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

SportCarGroup:

Click to enlarge

P13_0181_a4_rgb.jpgall.jpg

Thanks !!!  The Saphire Blue looks georgeous Smiley

Nice couple of 911's  parked in front of the Place in St Moritz two days ago. Amazing to see how big the GT3 gas grown compared to its older siblings....kissimage.jpg

--

turbolite

Porsche 991 GT3: Launch Control 0-200 km/h video...

Porsche 991 GT3: Launch Control 0-200 km/h -- Video Link

...turn up the volume on that GT3! Smiley

Smiley SmileySmiley

Porsche 991 GT3 first drive review by Auto Express...

New 469bhp flagship sports car promises to be the most thrilling 911 ever...

Since its launch in 1999, the Porsche 911 GT3 has been the benchmark against which every other track-focused car has been rated. There are more powerful, more expensive 911s, but the GT3 represents the sports car at its purest and most intense. In fact, all four generations of GT3 arguably rank alongside 1973’s legendary 2.7 RS in the annals of greatest 911s.

So we took the wheel of the 991-generation GT3 with a heavy dose of expectation – especially as Porsche says it’s started a new chapter in the car’s evolution with this fifth and latest model.

The famous motorsport-inspired Metzger [typo] engine has made way for an all-new 3.8-litre flat-six, while electric power-steering replaces the traditional hydraulic set-up, as in all other current-generation 911s. Most controversially of all, there’s no manual box – the GT3 is offered exclusively with a seven-speed double-clutch PDK set-up. 

Yet Porsche promises that with the all-new engine, transmission and chassis, this model extends the breadth of the GT3’s abilities, allowing for more sophisticated day-to-day use, while retaining the driver engagement and track-bred handling it’s famous for. 

The shell is 13 per cent lighter than the outgoing GT3’s, yet torsional rigidity is up by 25 per cent, plus power and torque are increased by 39bhp, bringing the totals to 469bhp and 440Nm.

Turn the ignition key and the mechanical-sounding idle of the 3.8-litre Carrera S-based engine gives a clue to the raft of internal changes. Not many parts have been carried over, so lightweight forged components combine with a unique intake system, new cylinder head and dry sump lubrication to ensure the GT3 can cope with high revs and big lateral loadings. Porsche’s dynamic engine mount system is standard, too. 

On the move, the upgrades are immediately apparent. With a short throttle travel, the engine is fast and incredibly free-revving. Power builds relentlessly and rapidly, taking a noticeable step up at 7,200rpm, and racing to the 9,000rpm red line. Acceleration from 0-62mph takes a seriously impressive 3.5 seconds.

Better still, the standard sports exhaust delivers an evocative soundtrack. Pressing the exhaust button reduces back pressure – increasing torque by 35Nm between 3,000 and 4,000rpm – as well as upping the volume. 

Good traction has always been a GT3 trait, and with the help of Porsche’s clever torque vectoring electronically controlled locking rear differential, the car punches out of bends with no intervention from the stability control.

Most importantly of all, Porsche has tailored the PDK box for the GT3. Shorter ratios mean seventh is a top speed ratio, not an overdrive ratio, while in manual mode there’s no kickdown or auto-creep, and the system won’t change up automatically. Shifts are even faster than in the standard 911, and downshifts slot into place equally quickly, aided by a large blip of the throttle.

Some drivers will miss the satisfaction to be gained from using a manual box, but the PDK is lighter, faster and more efficient. Crucially, the revisions also mean it contributes to the driving experience, rather than taking away from it. 

And what an experience it is. The weight and speed of the electric steering are perfectly judged, the nose reacting with even more finesse and precision than in other 911s. There’s no perceivable roll, and the grip is hard to believe, so you can tighten your line on a balanced throttle through a long corner without fear of unsettling the car. 

Yet despite the taut chassis, Porsche’s PASM active damper system is standard. And while the ride is firm, it’s not unbearable. 

Another first is the active rear-wheel steering. Instead of standard control arms, a pair of actuators vary rear wheel angle by up to 1.5 degrees – below 50mph in the opposite direction to the front wheels and above 50mph in the same direction. And while you can’t feel the system at work, the GT3’s low-speed agility and high-speed stability are proof of the set-up’s effectiveness. Porsche estimates that 80 per cent of owners will take their GT3 on a track, and while we didn’t get the chance to do so, the freedom of a race circuit is sure to show off the final layer of the car’s magic. It’s also the only place where you’re likely to need to put the PASM and PDK into their sportiest settings.

As before, the racy styling and sporty stance mark the GT3 out as something more than just another 911. It sits 30mm lower than a standard Carrera S, and its wider track and unique 20-inch wheels hint at its motorsport-inspired set-up. Extra cooling intakes, a deeper front spoiler and unique foglights set the nose apart, while the fixed rear wing is an unmistakable addition to the engine cover.

Inside, Alcantara trim on the wheel and gear selector, plus small GT3 logos, subtly enhance the regular 911’s first-rate, driver-focused layout. The £2,258 optional sports seats really help improve the driving position, too. 

We’d love to finally get the GT3 on a track to see what it’s really capable of, but this drive already proves Porsche has created yet another legend. It’s not only faster and more capable than any past GT3, it’s also easier to live with.

Verdict: ***** (5 stars)

"The new 911 GT3 is simply one of the best sports cars money can buy. With its breadth of abilities, it’s more accessible than ever, yet it still offers the track-inspired technology and driver engagement it’s famous for. Few cars, at any price, can match its performance and handling."

Key specs

Price: £100,540
    Engine: 3.8-litre flat-six
    Power: 469bhp
    Transmission: 7spd PDK
    0-60mph: 3.8 seconds
    Top speed: 196mph
    Economy: 22.8mpg
    CO2: 289g/km
    Equipment: Xenon lights, security tracker, adaptive dampers, climate control
    On sale: Nov 2013

Porsche 991 GT3 first drive review by Auto Express -- Article Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

That video looks to be alot slower tthan 3.8 seconds to 60mph

Porsche 911 Legends at the Goodwood Festival of Speed 2013...

Porsche 911 Legends at the Goodwood Festival of Speed 2013 -- Video Link

...the 991 GT3 is in great company! Smiley

Smiley SmileySmiley

The only thing wrong with the GT3 is this central console and the shape of the gear lever mail

Does anyone think it fits in this car looking like that ? cheeky

_b9p9782.jpg

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Tony007:

I made it 4s but its hard to tell accurately from the video as it works in 1s increments. Looks like roughly 12s to 200 too. I guess you need a VBOX and someone who had done a few launches to give it a proper go...

Tony007:

First, I am a little bit surprised about the 0-60 mph in 3.8 seconds claim. The factory claim is 0-100 kph in 3.5 seconds and this would translate into 0-60 mph in 3.3 seconds or so.

I also stopped the time up to 205 kph and the time was around 14 seconds, which is way too long. The factory claim from 0-200 kph is 11.6 seconds as far as I remember and the speedo certainly isn't accurate.

That said, I think that we should wait for first reviews because these videos don't seem to say much, especially since we do not know how they have been made (the french "Motorsport" video seems to have been done on a deserted country road...). I agree however that the time achieved in this video isn't that good.

--

RC. I learn along time ago on the track that using the GoPro to record my lap times could be 1.5 seconds out vs an Aim Solo GPS logger. I make 19s-31s to 200 and 19-23 as 0-100 but as I say its simply not accurate enough to say. My guess is its maybe 3.8-4 to 100 and 12-12.5 to 200 - probably about right for a first time launch with a passenger in the car and not being stupid to the car (for the world to see on youtube).

So 5 and half stars for the Clubsport package, from Autocar..

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/porsche/911-gt3/first-drives/porsche-911-gt3-clubsport-first-drive-review

Is that the first car with more than 5 stars?

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

I doubt that will be available in the US.

Gnil:

The only thing wrong with the GT3 is this central console and the shape of the gear lever mail

Would be nice if the RS comes a bit more "naked" inside Smiley Not a fan of the interior either...

Here's some more stuff to feed the colour discussion Smiley

blue-1.jpg blue-5.jpg blue-2.jpg blue-4.jpg blue-3.jpg

--

public roads: Porsche 981S white/black/red, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

That`s a beauty.  A GT3 in Rivierablau will be very pretty.

--

911 Club Coupe, 993 4S Riviera Blau, 12' Audi S4 Avant

WOW a RS in this blue will looks great in my garage!

smiley

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo

Is that Mexico blue?

--

2011 Porsche Carrera 4S Platinum Silver (sold)
    2013 Porsche Panamera GTS Basalt Black

2013 Porsche Carrera S GT Silver

“The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively” 
    ― Bob Marley

That blue on that stand looks sooo goood! angel

--

Hi everybody,

This is my first post on rennteam. I have been enjoying this blog quite a while now and read all the posts about the 991 GT3. (BTW thank you all for your input. This made me a lot wiser  )

Nowadays I walk around as a very happy man because a little while ago I decided to go for it and ordered a 991 GT3. I am an absolute fan of the car and every day a little more! So much great reviews on the 991 GT3! I really can't wait!

For my car I have chose a white one.  There is still the possibility to change color, but I think I am still convinced to go for the white since I am going to use the car as a daily drive. This is not too flashy IMHO and  I think it suits the car very well. (For the first time I think I absolutely love the color Red Guards on a Porsche but this is for me too flashy for everyday use.)

Thanks to all of your input about the specs I decided to go with the following:

• full leather interior
    • red stitching 
    • red seat belts
    • LED PLDS
    • Sport Chrono pack
    • PCM
    • front lift (for everyday use)

Because of all your comments about the PCCB's I decided not to go for this option. I have driven a 997 Turbo with PCCB's and hopefully I am not going to regret this. But the car might see some track use and so this would be quite expensive. But that made me have some space to maybe spend in some other options.

So I am considering a more personalized interior. Maybe red (or white) tachos, a red(or white) sport chrono, a white painted dashboard panel and centre console. This is what I did with the configurator:

Schermafbeelding 2013-07-26 om 12.57.19.png

or

Schermafbeelding 2013-07-26 om 23.07.25.png

What do you think of it? It is still a computer image so it gives quite a nice indication on how it looks but for me it's not enough. Therefor I was hoping somebody could help me with some real life footage of an interior like this? Or maybe just some individual parts.

Ofcourse I am a very happy guy to drive a GT3 soon BUT there is for me only one very little disadvantage to drive a GT3 as a daily. That is the non existence of its 'Park distance control' mail. Are there some others that use this car as a dd? and do how do you solve this? Since I live in Europe(where parking is not just to drive until you can stop and shut down the engine but it involves turning and maneuvering) I hope somebody can help me with an aftermarket solution. 

Best Regards,

Hans

BTW; The airco is also painted in exterior color.  Does anybody have a picture of that too? Very curious how it looks.

Thanks!

Hans

Hi Hans.

Welcome aboard!

Just  a few comments on your order. I also have gone white by the way

Sport Chrono. This doesnt add any deatures other than lap timing, clock really. Just though you need to know as many find it ugly and for the GT3 many have dropped it. You still get launch control and electro magnetic engine mounts without this...

Secondly I also went for white dials but have now cancelled after seeing how they look (below). Very busy and not what I was expecting. I suggest the same will apply for red.

Dont forget if you are LHD you can go for the no cost option of 90L tank which I think you should consider. Gives you better range and no down side. Also the smokers pack is free and includes a lid for the small cubby hole on the console where I leave my small change. Handy so its not visible. The passenger footwell cargo net pocket is also free.

For painting interior items I think you are better off having your local paint shop attend to this. Its cheaper and you can decide exactly what you ant done.

If you are staying with the standard seats and want the backs to be white like the car then have a vinyl film applied by a professional. I priced this up and its $200 a side and will look lovely plus it can be done in 3 hrs and totally removable and the seats dont leave the car...also consider heated seats if you live in Europe - good for your back on long drives....

Those are my thought in any case. 1.JPG

Porsche-Jeck:
    Gnil:

Would be nice if the RS comes a bit more "naked" inside Smiley Not a fan of the interior either...

Here's some more stuff to feed the colour discussion Smiley

blue-1.jpg blue-5.jpg blue-2.jpg blue-4.jpg blue-3.jpg

This would actually be the perfect color for a GT3 or even GT3 RS. Very special, even if a little bit Audi-ish. 

--

991 GT3:

• full leather interior
    • red stitching 
    • red seat belts
    • LED PLDS
    • Sport Chrono pack
    • PCM

Welcome. Smiley

Do not order white or red dials, you will hate them sooner or later. White dials look hideous (had them on my 997 Turbo and for very long five years, they drove me nuts Smiley) and the red ones look nice but after a while, the show effect wears off and you will feel annoyed by the red color (seeing red all the time... Smiley). Stick with the standard dials.

The Sport Chrono package also adds an stop watch and a performance display with PCM, so this isn't about the stop watch on the dash only (someone recommended not to order it but I actually like it how Porsche integrated the watch in a more elegant way).

What about privacy glass? It looks quite nice on a white car, making the rear window and the side rear windows darker. Not expensive and worth the money.

Also, if you chose PCM, you should also choose the Sound Package Plus. It isn't as good as BOSE but it adds a nice volume to the sound. I would also order the phone (Bluetooth) preparation since using a hands-free phone system is mandatory almost in all EU countries. 

What goes pretty well with black leather and red stitching is carbon. It adds a nice touch to the whole package. I would also order the Clubsport package (you cannot use the rear anyway) but I guess this is a personal choice.

The 90l fuel tank is a MUST, if you worry about additional weight (more fuel), you can always fuel up less fuel. 

Also get the painted front lights washing system cover, the silver looks stupid on a white car. 

--

macca993:

Hi Hans.

Welcome aboard!

Just  a few comments on your order. I also have gone white by the way

Sport Chrono. This doesnt add any deatures other than lap timing, clock really. Just though you need to know as many find it ugly and for the GT3 many have dropped it. You still get launch control and electro magnetic engine mounts without this...

Secondly I also went for white dials but have now cancelled after seeing how they look (below). Very busy and not what I was expecting. I suggest the same will apply for red.

Dont forget if you are LHD you can go for the no cost option of 90L tank which I think you should consider. Gives you better range and no down side. Also the smokers pack is free and includes a lid for the small cubby hole on the console where I leave my small change. Handy so its not visible. The passenger footwell cargo net pocket is also free.

For painting interior items I think you are better off having your local paint shop attend to this. Its cheaper and you can decide exactly what you ant done.

If you are staying with the standard seats and want the backs to be white like the car then have a vinyl film applied by a professional. I priced this up and its $200 a side and will look lovely plus it can be done in 3 hrs and totally removable and the seats dont leave the car...also consider heated seats if you live in Europe - good for your back on long drives....

Those are my thought in any case. 1.JPG

Thank you very much Macca993! I definitely will consider your advice!  

RC:
    991 GT3:

• full leather interior
    • red stitching 
    • red seat belts
    • LED PLDS
    • Sport Chrono pack
    • PCM

Welcome. Smiley

Do not order white or red dials, you will hate them sooner or later. White dials look hideous (had them on my 997 Turbo and for very long five years, they drove me nuts Smiley) and the red ones look nice but after a while, the show effect wears off and you will feel annoyed by the red color (seeing red all the time... Smiley). Stick with the standard dials.

The Sport Chrono package also adds an stop watch and a performance display with PCM, so this isn't about the stop watch on the dash only (someone recommended not to order it but I actually like it how Porsche integrated the watch in a more elegant way).

What about privacy glass? It looks quite nice on a white car, making the rear window and the side rear windows darker. Not expensive and worth the money.

Also, if you chose PCM, you should also choose the Sound Package Plus. It isn't as good as BOSE but it adds a nice volume to the sound. I would also order the phone (Bluetooth) preparation since using a hands-free phone system is mandatory almost in all EU countries. 

What goes pretty well with black leather and red stitching is carbon. It adds a nice touch to the whole package. I would also order the Clubsport package (you cannot use the rear anyway) but I guess this is a personal choice.

The 90l fuel tank is a MUST, if you worry about additional weight (more fuel), you can always fuel up less fuel. 

Also get the painted front lights washing system cover, the silver looks stupid on a white car. 

--

Thank you very much RC for your advice!

I think the white ones indeed do not look very good! (when I look at the movie Macca993 included)Smiley

Though I am still in doubt about having the red ones, I agree with you they are 'quite present' and if you'll drive the car for a few years it might become annoying to see the red dials all the time. I am going to think about it.

The sports chrono I think is quite fun and it is not a hefty price tag at all ;-) So I will have this.

The privacy glass I have already chosen. (back and sides) Think this looks very cool on a white car. Especially with the grey wheels. Smiley The 90l fuel tank too and the bluetooth phone preparation also. Forgot to mention it. 

I was thinking about the sound package plus. What do you guys think? Is this worth it? Because I wasn't a fan of the BOSE in the 997 Turbo if I have to honest. For me it was the option Burmester or just standard. So I went with standard since Burmester isn't available on the GT3.

Personally I am not going for the clubsport package because it eliminates the possibility to put some small luggage in the back of the car. (which my girlfriend most definitely needs!)

The interior parts in carbon look quite nice, but I am affraid it makes the interior too dark. The standard brushed aluminum is more contrast I think. I have not seen this on other image except the configurator so if you can share some pictures that would be great.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764179 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436417 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260995 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257926 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82617 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5328 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876768 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808814 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM