Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 911 GT3 (991)

nberry:

Christian, thanks for the tip. I haven't given up but am relaistic. My salesperson who has 17 years with the dealership is staying on top of the situation. He is aware I may bolt.

Well...there are possibilities and...possibilities. Smiley C'mon, Nick...you know what I mean.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

macca993:

Suzy is from Kanton too! Im heading to Zurich late November to pick up my 991 GT3. May see you there!

so is porker - so we will be there cueing then for a testdrive with you after collection indecision. Dunno if I will still have the plates on the car in Nov - but if yes I'll be comming by - tell us when wink  kiss

My wife reminded me this with be my 6th Porsche in the past 10 years or so.mail

nberry:

Are you not bored? :)

nberry:

My 991 Turbo S is going to be my 12th Porsche in 16 years. Smiley

I'm "better" than you... Smiley

Joking aside and referring the the "boring" comment: It would have saved me a lot of money if I wouldn't have strayed to other manufacturers during these years. Smiley Always came back to Porsche... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:
    nberry:

My 991 Turbo S is going to be my 12th Porsche in 16 years. Smiley

I'm "better" than you... Smiley

Joking aside and referring the the "boring" comment: It would have saved me a lot of money if I wouldn't have strayed to other manufacturers during these years. Smiley Always came back to Porsche... Smiley

Indeed RC it was tongue in cheek comment - there really is no substitute :)

Porsche 991 GT3 at Goodwood Festival of Speed...

Porsche-991-GT3_Goodwood-01.jpg

Porsche-991-GT3_Goodwood-02.jpg

Porsche-991-GT3_Goodwood-03.jpg

Porsche-991-GT3_Goodwood-04.jpg

Porsche-991-GT3_Goodwood-05.jpg

Porsche-991-GT3_Goodwood-06.jpg

Porsche-991-GT3_Goodwood-07.jpg

Porsche-991-GT3_Goodwood-08.jpg

Porsche-991-GT3_Goodwood-09.jpg

Porsche-991-GT3_Goodwood-10.jpg

Porsche-991-GT3_Goodwood-11.jpg

Porsche-991-GT3_Goodwood-12.jpg

Porsche-991-GT3_Goodwood-13.jpg

Porsche-991-GT3_Goodwood-14.jpg

Porsche-991-GT3_Goodwood-15.jpg

Porsche-991-GT3_Goodwood-16.jpg

Porsche-991-GT3_Goodwood-17.jpg

Porsche-991-GT3_Goodwood-18.jpg

Porsche-991-GT3_Goodwood-19.jpg

Porsche-991-GT3_Goodwood-20.jpg

1373726910309Porsche-991-GT3_Goodwood-21.jpg

Smiley SmileySmiley

I am puzzled by the wheels. On the one hand they look polished silver and on the other much darker. To my knowledge, they only have three wheel colors, platinum (standard), polished silver and glossy black.

Not sure which is which.

Standard wheels on pics Boxster GTS posted from Goodwood.

Weird. The car shown at Goodwood Festival of Speed has Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires, while the engineering samples they used for the press testdrives have Dunlops. Has the Cup 2 development been finished (earlier than expected?) or is this just another engineering sample car with a prototype Cup 2 tire? Would be interesting to know since the Cup 2 is supposed to be used for the 918 too. Btw: The record time of 7:25 min on the Nordschleife has been achieved with Dunlops, so maybe the Michelin could be even faster???

--

My gosh, the GT3 looks amazing.  It's MUCH better looking than the Turbo!

nberry:

I am puzzled by the wheels. On the one hand they look polished silver and on the other much darker. To my knowledge, they only have three wheel colors, platinum (standard), polished silver and glossy black.

Not sure which is which.

The wheels on the GT3 at Goodwood had the standard (Platinum) finish - they looked awesome!

Tony007:

My gosh, the GT3 looks amazing.  It's MUCH better looking than the Turbo!

The wheels make a big difference (I really don't like the rim design of the Turbo S rims) and of course the front, which looks kind of weird with those Panamera Turbo-styled turn signals (front bumper). I kind of get the feeling that Porsche wanted to take some sportiness out of the Turbo design, just to make a point. Smiley

--

Hmmmmmm, anyone know if the GT3 wheels will fit the Turbo S properly? Correct offset, etc

I would assume they are lighter too..  

Tony007:

Hmmmmmm, anyone know if the GT3 wheels will fit the Turbo S properly? Correct offset, etc

I would assume they are lighter too..  

Actually, I think they would look great on the Turbo S (the "turbine" design...) but I don't think the offset or the size would be correct. I think the rear wheels are 12'' for example (vs. 11.5'' on the Turbo S).

Could one of our talented users in the forum actually do a photoshop job with a GT3 with Turbo S rims and a Turbo S with GT3 rims? This would be awesome, just for a comparison.

Also could someone put the GT3 front on the Turbo S and vice versa? Could also be interesting. Thanks.

--

sidicks:
    nberry:

Not sure which is which.

The wheels on the GT3 at Goodwood had the standard (Platinum) finish - they looked awesome!

Nick, that variance you see in the pics is just the photographer's camera (or more accurately its light meter) trying to always expose to the same value.  In a close-in shot with just wheel and black tire, it tends to overexpose a bit - giving a very silver looking wheel, whereas in a wider shot, especially with a bright white car, the meter underexposes a bit to avoid overexposing the white paint, yielding much darker wheels.  All makes sense once you've struggled with camera metering a few thousand times... Smiley

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks!Smiley

Does anyone have an idea as to when "Sport Bucket Seats" will be available in North America?

--
    997 GT3 Guards Red

Riding in Porsche's new 911 GT3 at Goodwood...

The new 911 GT3 is being driven by Porsche's Andreas Preuninger at the Goodwood Festival of Speed 2013 

(14 July 2013)

"Porsche’s most iconic design is 50 this year; a significant anniversary celebrated most obviously by the soaring trident of 911s in front of Goodwood House. But forget static displays, I’m about to take a ride up the hill in the newest and most powerful of the current 991 iteration; the GT3.

This is the first time the GT3 has been seen in the UK, and a few weeks ahead of the global launch, I’m one of the few people outside of Porsche to even sit in one. So, a real privilege, yet by ditching a manual gearbox completely, it’s fair to say that the new car has courted controversy before even turning a wheel.

At the wheel of the white GT3 was Andreas Preuninger, head of GT cars at Porsche. He knows this car better than anyone else and fields my questions in the queue to the start line with detailed, convincing engineering arguments. For instance, without the seven-speed PDK paddle-shift 'box there would be no electronic, fully variable locking differential; an addition that significantly improves cornering traction.

Off the line, Andreas’s persuasive patter took on new meaning. Executing a perfect launch he was in third gear at around 100mph as we approached the first corner. My foot pressed against the bulkhead about a second before Andreas dabbed the brakes, dropped a cog and got smartly back on the power. And with that, any reservations about the suitability of the PDK 'box for such a focused driver’s car was left smoking on the start line.

The shifts are seamless and instantaneous, with none of the kick in the kidneys of some systems. Equally impressive from the passenger seat is the chassis. It might be longer and wider than the outgoing model to improve stability, but Preuninger’s team has managed to engineer additional agility into the GT3 as well. Rear wheel steering, a wider front axle and that active locking differential giving him the confidence to really commit to the high-consequence direction changes of the wall section.

Approaching the upper end of the 9,000pm range in fourth gear we cross the line, catching the Spyker that left 13 seconds before us in a time only six seconds off that of a 997 Cup race car."

-- Article by Danny Milner, Telegraph

Smiley SmileySmiley

Trundle_GT3:

Does anyone have an idea as to when "Sport Bucket Seats" will be available in North America?

Never? Smiley

--

The Chris Harris GT3 had a 918 Spyder seat. I wonder if this seat will make it into the new GT3 RS (and then other models) as a "lightweight bucket" option as the CGT seats did previously?

The current steering wheel is also carried over from 997 series. Perhaps the 918 wheel and other components will eventually filter down into the rest of the range... 

The 918 seats and steering wheel could bring the 991 series a very nice facelift :)

The car Chris Harris was driving was an engineering "sample", a mule. I wouldn't really read anything into it.

--

RC:

The car Chris Harris was driving was an engineering "sample", a mule. I wouldn't really read anything into it.

Therefore, the engineering "sample" or mule could be a "ringer" similar to what Ferrari has had the media test and what was quite vociferously opposed by Harris in the past?

A test.mule at any given time may perform below specification as systems are tested in various modes of performance including failure.  It would seem to me that a test mule is the polar opposite of a factory prepared "ringer" given to journalists.

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

CGX car nut:
    RC:

Therefore, the engineering "sample" or mule could be a "ringer" similar to what Ferrari has had the media test and what was quite vociferously opposed by Harris in the past?

The GT3 Harris drove was a test mule, i.e, a car close to the finished product, however it is still outfitted to better suit the test drivers over long testing distances, therefore a few minor mods were added, like special seats. The Ferraris Harris was testing were being passed off as the finished product to him and a number of other journalist. However, they secretly hid away the "Press-kit Performance Package" which upped the anti a bit so they'd look better on paper. Much different scenario with Porsche, not fraudulent at all.

Boxster Coupe GTS:

Riding in Porsche's new 911 GT3 at Goodwood...

The new 911 GT3 is being driven by Porsche's Andreas Preuninger at the Goodwood Festival of Speed 2013 

(14 July 2013)

"Porsche’s most iconic design is 50 this year; a significant anniversary celebrated most obviously by the soaring trident of 911s in front of Goodwood House. But forget static displays, I’m about to take a ride up the hill in the newest and most powerful of the current 991 iteration; the GT3.

This is the first time the GT3 has been seen in the UK, and a few weeks ahead of the global launch, I’m one of the few people outside of Porsche to even sit in one. So, a real privilege, yet by ditching a manual gearbox completely, it’s fair to say that the new car has courted controversy before even turning a wheel.

At the wheel of the white GT3 was Andreas Preuninger, head of GT cars at Porsche. He knows this car better than anyone else and fields my questions in the queue to the start line with detailed, convincing engineering arguments. For instance, without the seven-speed PDK paddle-shift 'box there would be no electronic, fully variable locking differential; an addition that significantly improves cornering traction.

Off the line, Andreas’s persuasive patter took on new meaning. Executing a perfect launch he was in third gear at around 100mph as we approached the first corner. My foot pressed against the bulkhead about a second before Andreas dabbed the brakes, dropped a cog and got smartly back on the power. And with that, any reservations about the suitability of the PDK 'box for such a focused driver’s car was left smoking on the start line.

The shifts are seamless and instantaneous, with none of the kick in the kidneys of some systems. Equally impressive from the passenger seat is the chassis. It might be longer and wider than the outgoing model to improve stability, but Preuninger’s team has managed to engineer additional agility into the GT3 as well. Rear wheel steering, a wider front axle and that active locking differential giving him the confidence to really commit to the high-consequence direction changes of the wall section.

Approaching the upper end of the 9,000pm range in fourth gear we cross the line, catching the Spyker that left 13 seconds before us in a time only six seconds off that of a 997 Cup race car."

-- Article by Danny Milner, Telegraph

Smiley SmileySmiley

" in a time only six seconds off that of a 997 Cup race car "

It makes me wonder how fast was 991 GT3 and 918 ...

Jenson Button said in a video that the P1 completed the course in approximately 53 seconds (with passenger?).

It will be interesting if anyone can find this out from the weekend? The 991 GT3 made up almost 13 seconds on the Spyker and was 6 seconds down on teh 997 race car. I heard the time was 59s but its un verified information. In 2010 just agter the launch of the 2010 997.2 GT3RS that car did the course in 1.04 (its on youtube) with a non professional driver...

DaveC:

A test.mule at any given time may perform below specification as systems are tested in various modes of performance including failure.  It would seem to me that a test mule is the polar opposite of a factory prepared "ringer" given to journalists.

Smiley Also the journalists were informed that these were test mules, no hiding here.

--

macca993:

It will be interesting if anyone can find this out from the weekend? The 991 GT3 made up almost 13 seconds on the Spyker and was 6 seconds down on teh 997 race car. I heard the time was 59s but its un verified information. In 2010 just agter the launch of the 2010 997.2 GT3RS that car did the course in 1.04 (its on youtube) with a non professional driver...

59 seconds is reasonable. I found a video of 997 Carrera Cup doing the hill climb (not sure it was 2011 or 2012 Goodwood event) and it did it in about 54 seconds. 

But that also kinda shows how fast P1 was... 53 seconds with passenger, faster than a 997 Cup racer... wow..

xybyx:
    macca993:

59 seconds is reasonable. I found a video of 997 Carrera Cup doing the hill climb (not sure it was 2011 or 2012 Goodwood event) and it did it in about 54 seconds. 

But that also kinda shows how fast P1 was... 53 seconds with passenger, faster than a 997 Cup racer... wow..

It does sound like 59 could be about right then give they said it was 6 seconds of  997 race car.

The P1 was a very good time but you have to remember its 7 times the price almost twice the power and was driven by one of the best F1 drivers in the world. AP is a engineer not a professional race car driver and he had a passenger on board too...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689351 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409099 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234953 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65506 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857900 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773917 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM