Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S

OK, guys...I was in for another surprise today. After realizing that on the Turbo S, the seat backs are covered in leather as a standard option and that of course my color choice, agate grey met. would cost extra money on the Turbo., I re-calculated how much a 991 Turbo (not S) would cost me with the same options as the Turbo S I ordered (minus the extra power of course). Also keep in mind that the black/Carrera red interior is exclusive to the Turbo S and isn't even available for the Turbo.

In the end, I came up with aprox. 6k EUR difference. Not more. 6k EUR for an additional 40 horses, not bad.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:

OK, guys...I was in for another surprise today. After realizing that on the Turbo S, the seat backs are covered in leather as a standard option and that of course my color choice, agate grey met. would cost extra money on the Turbo., I re-calculated how much a 991 Turbo (not S) would cost me with the same options as the Turbo S I ordered (minus the extra power of course). Also keep in mind that the black/Carrera red interior is exclusive to the Turbo S and isn't even available for the Turbo.

In the end, I came up with aprox. 6k EUR difference. Not more. 6k EUR for an additional 40 horses, not bad.

Christian, 560 hp is very small. I need to see real-life tests results or know some info. Sorry, but you may have decided to quick to buy Turbo S,.... 

artur777:

Christian, 560 hp is very small. I need to see real-life tests results or know some info. Sorry, but you may have decided to quick to buy Turbo S,.... 

Nope, I know very well what I am getting but of course I am curious about real world test results too.

Just out of curiosity: What would have been my "alternative"? Smiley

Keep in mind...Germany...envious neighborhood...good lease offer from Porsche...AWD (winter, rain)...local dealership and repair shop...

I am really curious what you would suggest instead. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC, I really understand your situation. I'm also from Germany and you have done the right thing - there is no alternative to a 911 (especially a 4wd) as a daily driver. And if you need the back seats and want a small, agile sports car, your search is over before it has begun. 

And you have selected the right color. I drive an agathe grey Panamera GTS and it's an amazing color, sporty, but not too much. 

Btw, 1st  post here :)

Hi there, welcome. devil

I'm afraid you are right. The only (performance) alternatives would be the McLaren MP4-12C and the Ferrari F12. Both are too flashy, slightly more expensive and not really viable as daily drivers in Germany, especially not the McLaren.

I hate to say it but the only alternative to the 991 Turbo S is actually...the 991 GT3. The GT3 however lacks AWD, it is a bit too low for a daily driver (unless you have the lift, which won't be available from the start), it lacks the backseats (for the occasional family drive) and on the Autobahn, I could have trouble keeping away those next gen M5 and E63.

I still hope that Porsche tweaks a couple of performance parameters on the Turbo S but to be honest, there isn't really an alternative available...yet.

--

Random Turbo/Turbo S question... didn't the dials used to be white?  Or was that just a common practice to option those among Turbo/Turbo S owners?

keithos27:

Random Turbo/Turbo S question... didn't the dials used to be white?  Or was that just a common practice to option those among Turbo/Turbo S owners?

I don't really remember anymore but I think yes. Never liked the white dials, I prefer the black/dark grey ones.

--

RC:
    artur777:

Nope, I know very well what I am getting but of course I am curious about real world test results too.

Just out of curiosity: What would have been my "alternative"? Smiley

Keep in mind...Germany...envious neighborhood...good lease offer from Porsche...AWD (winter, rain)...local dealership and repair shop...

I am really curious what you would suggest instead. Smiley

Christian, in your situation you have done everything right. No alternatives except GTR. Even Turbo S could be too much for your neighbours? Will they sleep after they see it:))?

A Porsche isn't a problem (anymore) in my neighborhood, people got used to my cars and some think I work for Porsche (I had some Porsche with S and LB plates in front of my garage, loaners, friends...), so they couldn't care less and I won't be stupid to correct their beliefs (they never asked and I never told but rumors circle fast and in my case, this was a good thing). Also there are other Porsche cars in my neighborhood now, incl. a 997 Turbo S Cab and a 997 Carrera 4S, so things are OK for now. Only problem would probably be a 918 but I guess I won't see one in front of my garage any time soon. The Turbo S will of course draw attention, I get the first car over here in my town and I doubt that there will be many around for the first 6-12 months but like I said, I don't think this is a problem.

Nissan GT-R? Never. Not that I think this car is bad but I just don't like the look too much, I never was a fan of japanese cars, sorry. yes

Back to topic: I read the new AutoBILD sportscars with the 991 GT3 vs. 991 Turbo S "comparison" and I regret buying it. The article is rubbish, just a description of the press releases, summoned in an article. Nothing new, nothing interesting, even the photos aren't really special, so save your money, there is nothing there. Disappointing.

--

Grant:
    Guy:

So how about Brewster Green?

I think it looks great in photos!  I always like  a dark green (Irish Green is one of my favorite old 911 colors).  Probably not available for PTS - they like to keep those off the menu, once used on a special model.

I also like this color. By the way Brewster green (color code 22B) is on the approved PTS list for the 991 . I would assume it could be available for the Turbo too .  They keep the exclusivity for one model year then is available for all customers (this is also what happened with the previous US  911 Club Coupe where the color - Azurro California was available initally only for the Anniversary edition and then after went on the approved PTS lists and could be ordered on the 997 and Boxsters too). Irish green is not available on the current PTS list.

--

911 Club Coupe, 993 4S Riviera Blau, 12' Audi S4 Avant

RC:

A Porsche isn't a problem (anymore) in my neighborhood, people got used to my cars and some think I work for Porsche (I had some Porsche with S and LB plates in front of my garage, loaners, friends...), so they couldn't care less and I won't be stupid to correct their beliefs (they never asked and I never told but rumors circle fast and in my case, this was a good thing). Also there are other Porsche cars in my neighborhood now, incl. a 997 Turbo S Cab and a 997 Carrera 4S, so things are OK for now. Only problem would probably be a 918 but I guess I won't see one in front of my garage any time soon. The Turbo S will of course draw attention, I get the first car over here in my town and I doubt that there will be many around for the first 6-12 months but like I said, I don't think this is a problem.

Nissan GT-R? Never. Not that I think this car is bad but I just don't like the look too much, I never was a fan of japanese cars, sorry. yes

Back to topic: I read the new AutoBILD sportscars with the 991 GT3 vs. 991 Turbo S "comparison" and I regret buying it. The article is rubbish, just a description of the press releases, summoned in an article. Nothing new, nothing interesting, even the photos aren't really special, so save your money, there is nothing there. Disappointing.

It's a pity that nothing interesting in AUTO bild.... Hope we will see soon real-life tests and results

m4ever:

By the way Brewster green (color code 22B) is on the approved PTS list for the 991 . I would assume it could be available for the Turbo too .  They keep the exclusivity for one model year then is available for all customers (this is also what happened with the previous US  911 Club Coupe where the color - Azurro California was available initally only for the Anniversary edition and then after went on the approved PTS lists and could be ordered on the 997 and Boxsters too). Irish green is not available on the current PTS list.--

911 Club Coupe, 993 4S Riviera Blau, 12' Audi S4 Avant

Good to know - thanks!

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

TomSilver:

Congratulations on what must be a record:  9 years between registration and first post!  Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:
    TomSilver:

Congratulations on what must be a record:  9 years between registration and first post!  Smiley

Maybe he was a little bit shy... Smiley

Smiley

Btw: We have hundreds of users logged in but only a few post...

--

Perhaps it is because posts are not appreciated and mostly ridiculed or attacked.  I have found it is best to allow those who like to hear themselves post and to not ever issue any dissent.  This results in a forum mostly about exterior and interior colors.

RC:

Actually, difference is around 7.5K €. Check it again...

Turbo options that are standard on Turbo S:

CL wheels

Adaptive sport seats plus

PDCC

PCCB

Sport Chrono

LED front lights

Leather seat backs are actually different since you get seat console in leather as well on Turbo(code XWK cost is in Germany 1535,10€) and for Turbo S you need to order option XWL(cost is 493,85€) to get seat console in leather as well.

Agate Grey is non cost option on both Turbo and Turbo S.

Cost for software base power upgrade is around 7.5K €. Hmm... Is it really a nice offerSmileySmiley

Leawood911:

Perhaps it is because posts are not appreciated and mostly ridiculed or attacked.  I have found it is best to allow those who like to hear themselves post and to not ever issue any dissent.  This results in a forum mostly about exterior and interior colors.

You call it "ridiculed" or "attacked", others may view this as a discussion at a different (higher) level. Smiley

If you check other Porsche forums, more people post but also they post stuff which is either completely inaccurate and/or based on absolutely ridiculous rumors or the stuff is more of an advertisement for a certain product or company (it is no secret that many Porsche forums are full of vendors, sales persons and companies who want to promote their stuff). We always made it clear that we do not accept any commercialization of Rennteam, simply because believe in the original product with some smaller exceptions.

I am sorry if you feel that way but comparing the 991 Turbo discussions on other forums, incl. German forums with the discussion we had here so far, I can tell you that this thread offered tons of more information than any other thread. Unless of course you want to hear how bad the new Turbo is and how good older cars are (which you, as a 997 Turbo owner, could actually enjoy Smiley).

--

KresoF1:
    RC:

CL wheels

PDCC

PCCB

Sport Chrono

LED front lights

Leather seat backs are actually different since you get seat console in leather as well on Turbo(code XWK cost is in Germany 1535,10€) and for Turbo S you need to order option XWL(cost is 493,85€) to get seat console in leather as well.

Cost for software base power upgrade is around 7.5K €. Hmm... Is it really a nice offerSmileySmiley

You forgot the bi-color leather... Smiley (black/Carrera red isn't even available for the Turbo, so you would choose a different one). 595,00 EUR for the bi-color or 1190,00 for the natural leather version. You also forgot the Sport Design mirrors which are standard on the Turbo S. Price is 535,50. Also the Turbo S has the carbon package standard ("only") 1100 since the carbon PDK shifter would cost extra on the Turbo S). Park assist is also a no-cost option for the Turbo S, so is grey tinted windshield. Smiley

Actually, after I did a more precise calculation (since I have nothing more important to do, like you Smiley), I came up with a price difference of 4800k EUR only (yes, I already considered the leather console price).

You are welcomed to do the whole calculation again, maybe I overlooked something (I really don't like losing time getting into details for a couple of bucks on a 200k EUR car ) Smiley

So do I think that 5k EUR are worth additional 40 horses? Hell yeah, I do. Smiley

--

RC:
    Leawood911:

You call it "ridiculed" or "attacked", others may view this as a discussion at a different (higher) level. Smiley

If you check other Porsche forums, more people post but also they post stuff which is either completely inaccurate and/or based on absolutely ridiculous rumors or the stuff is more of an advertisement for a certain product or company (it is no secret that many Porsche forums are full of vendors, sales persons and companies who want to promote their stuff). We always made it clear that we do not accept any commercialization of Rennteam, simply because believe in the original product with some smaller exceptions.

I am sorry if you feel that way but comparing the 991 Turbo discussions on other forums, incl. German forums with the discussion we had here so far, I can tell you that this thread offered tons of more information than any other thread. Unless of course you want to hear how bad the new Turbo is and how good older cars are (which you, as a 997 Turbo owner, could actually enjoy Smiley).

Smiley

+991  or should I say +997?  Smiley

--

I'm just another female petrolhead :)

I performed a build comparison of my "loaded" Turbo S spec using the US configurator and then configured the exact same car as a regular Turbo and the difference was a miniscule $3390.  What a scam job...

Turbo S retail 200365
    Turbo retail 196975
    Difference  3390

That's why at the Moscow introduction he says..  Here is new Turbo/Turbo S...  Smiley

Tony007:

I performed a build comparison of my "loaded" Turbo S spec using the US configurator and then configured the exact same car as a regular Turbo and the difference was a miniscule $3390.  What a scam job...

Turbo S retail 200365
    Turbo retail 196975
    Difference  3390

That's why at the Moscow introduction he says..  Here is new Turbo/Turbo S...  Smiley

According to your calculations, you are paying $3390 for 40 more hp on the S. Why is that a scam job?

nberry:
    Tony007:

Turbo S retail 200365
    Turbo retail 196975
    Difference  3390

According to your calculations, you are paying $3390 for 40 more hp on the S. Why is that a scam job?

That sounds like a deal to me...

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

nberry:
    Tony007:

Turbo S retail 200365
    Turbo retail 196975
    Difference  3390

I should have clarified a little further..  It's a scam job for the individual that purchases the Turbo.  There is no point (zero) in buying a Turbo any longer for the person who did like I did back in 2007 and likes to order up a "loaded" car.  I mean really... What is the point of having a Turbo??

Someone buys a Turbo today.. Why, because he needs a lower price car. He doesn't care for this or that option(s) that comes on the Turbo S.

All Porsche has done with offering a Turbo is to impose a HP/TQ penalty for the customer that won't pony up for their exorbitant prices. 

The way I see it, either kill the Turbo or differentiate them much more, both in price and substance. 

SoCal Alan:
    nberry:
    Tony007:

Turbo S retail 200365
    Turbo retail 196975
    Difference  3390

That sounds like a deal to me...

For the way i drive in Florida, the Turbo S is truly a fantastic deal.  I don't know of any other car that has all the capabilities as a Turbo S, especially from dead stop, that can deliver real world street performance like it does.  I have no choice but to order one.  

Tony007:

I should have clarified a little further..  It's a scam job for the individual that purchases the Turbo.  There is no point (zero) in buying a Turbo any longer for the person who did like I did back in 2007 and likes to order up a "loaded" car.  I mean really... What is the point of having a Turbo??

Someone buys a Turbo today.. Why, because he needs a lower price car. He doesn't care for this or that option(s) that comes on the Turbo S.

All Porsche has done with offering a Turbo is to impose a HP/TQ penalty for the customer that won't pony up for their exorbitant prices. 

The way I see it, either kill the Turbo or differentiate them much more, both in price and substance. 

I couldn't agree more but you'd be surprised how many seem to order a Turbo instead of a Turbo S for sometimes quite weird reasons. On the other hand, I get it (with the Turbo): If people don't care about maximum performance, the lack of PCCB, PDCC and Sport Chrono won't hurt much. Do the math, add these three options together and you'll get a substantial difference (these three options alone are over 16k USD). Some may care about the body, the brand and make only and maybe even about illusion (I can imagine some people ordering the Turbo S wheels incl. CL and the mirrors, just to pretend they drive a Turbo S).

Yes, Porsche should differentiate the Turbo and Turbo S much more, they kind of killed the regular Turbo and maybe even worse, they kind of ridiculed the Turbo S buyer. In the end, many people will say: "Hey, you paid a premium for a software difference only, why have you been so stupid and didn't get a Turbo and paid 2k for chip tuning later on to get the same power as the Turbo S...?"  Not many (outside the Porsche "universe") know that the Turbo S also comes with many options standard.

Funny story you mentioned the Moscow presentation: When Bernhard Maier (Porsche) announced the 991 Turbo and Turbo S in Moscow and that white Turbo S entered the stage, my son (he was watching the YouTube video with me) asked me: "And where is the Turbo?" Smiley Really dumb (not my son...the presentation). I bet that many in the Russian audience also asked themselves: "Is that the Turbo S or Turbo and where is the other car?".

Also the presentation in Estoril was embarrassing: Especially that guy who sprayed sparks towards the car...he looked as if he was jerking off. Smiley Oh boy, whoever had the idea for such a show should have his head checked. Watching the video, I don't think that the Portuguese audience really enjoyed the show.

Speaking of "not having a choice than order one...", I again fully agree with you: I have no choice. Not because the Turbo S is the most fantastic car on the planet but because no other car offers what the Turbo S offers. This doesn't mean I am happy as a customer and Porsche knows that (I sent them a long summary of what I believe is wrong with the Turbo S and believe it or not, they care...a LOT...you cannot even imagine how much) but I don't think this is going to change anything for the car which will be manufactured soon. Which is a pity because I really think that some minor changes are still possible, especially before and for that rumored press event end of August.

--

Christian, if someone is not into Porsche's they would not know there is a Turbo and Turbo S nor would not know the difference. The extra $40,000 buyers are paying for the S is to satisfy their ego.

nberry:

Christian, if someone is not into Porsche's they would not know there is a Turbo and Turbo S nor would not know the difference. The extra $40,000 buyers are paying for the S is to satisfy their ego.

Nick, I pay the extra because I also want the options I ordered and the remaining difference is under 5k EUR, for which I get the additional 40 horses. 40 hp are 40 hp, I cannot ignore that. This doesn't sound much and the performance difference in the 0-100 and 0-200 kph range isn't phenomenal but up to 300 kph, the difference is quite substantial. Driving speeds of over 200 kph on a daily basis over here in Germany, makes the 40 additional horses a welcomed addition. Smiley

I also think that Porsche may actually understand why the lack of real differentiation between the Turbo and Turbo S could be a problem, so maybe MAYBE they are going to change a thing or two before the car is released. I don't think so but I have hope (which of course doesn't mean much but they surprised me before).

The easiest way would be: Give the Turbo S a different air filter box and a different (louder) exhaust system, maybe even some chassis adaptation (sportier). The air filter box would cost Porsche almost nothing, the (louder) exhaust system could add a couple of bucks production cost and using different springs for the Turbo S shouldn't really hurt them either. There are other differentiation possibilities of course but when a customer asks his Porsche sales person: "What's the difference between the Turbo and Turbo S, leaving aside the 40 horses and the additional standard options" and the sales person answers "absolutely nothing", then Porsche has a problem. They already have and they will have.

Don't get me wrong: I think that putting the Turbo and Turbo S on the market at the same time is a very good decision for customers. I always hated it to be the first to get a Turbo and three years later, bam, the Turbo S was there. However, I actually thought that Porsche would make the Turbo S more special, sportier, different. I didn't expect what we got now, a huge and pretty bad surprise for me to be honest.

--

i know what Nick is saying, but what the F.  LIfe is crazy, so ego be damned.  I think there is something to say for getting the top of the line.  Enjoy the ride, RC!

Wonderbar:

i know what Nick is saying, but what the F.  LIfe is crazy, so ego be damned.  I think there is something to say for getting the top of the line.  Enjoy the ride, RC!

Smiley Smiley I really would get the most powerful version for a reason and not because it would help my ego. In the end, I drive the car and not others, so I get what Nick is saying but it may not apply to every Turbo S customer.

It is sometimes interesting when I am on the Autobahn: I overtake other Porsche 911 and Panamera in my Cayenne GTS but not because they are slower but because the drivers don't drive faster. I always wonder why someone buys a 997 Turbo S Cab and then drives (with the top closed!) on the Autobahn at 160 kph but I guess this is what Nick is referring to. Smiley

--

RC:
    KresoF1:
    RC:

CL wheels

PDCC

PCCB

Sport Chrono

LED front lights

You forgot the bi-color leather... Smiley (black/Carrera red isn't even available for the Turbo, so you would choose a different one). 595,00 EUR for the bi-color or 1190,00 for the natural leather version. You also forgot the Sport Design mirrors which are standard on the Turbo S. Price is 535,50. Also the Turbo S has the carbon package standard ("only") 1100 since the carbon PDK shifter would cost extra on the Turbo S). Park assist is also a no-cost option for the Turbo S, so is grey tinted windshield. Smiley

Actually, after I did a more precise calculation (since I have nothing more important to do, like you Smiley), I came up with a price difference of 4800k EUR only (yes, I already considered the leather console price).

You are welcomed to do the whole calculation again, maybe I overlooked something (I really don't like losing time getting into details for a couple of bucks on a 200k EUR car ) Smiley

So do I think that 5k EUR are worth additional 40 horses? Hell yeah, I do. Smiley

--

Bi color leather is standard on Turbo as well. Yes, I forgot carbon interior package and if you add it difference is still over 6500€. Check it again if you have enough spare time...SmileySmiley

I am going with my family to our summer house on Adriatic coast and will be there till 12th August. Happy summer holidays to all!Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM