Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 911 GT3 (991)

Maybe Porsche will offer a "exclusiv" version - delete the front & back-spoiler (which is not in favor of a lot of women angry - incl.mine) replaces it with the ducktail look a'la 997 Sport-Classic and they would sell even more..... - I would take mine in "targa" to hear the 9000rpm a bit better indecision

reginos:  So, in terms of price to utility it is quite expensive.

It is also quite expensive to run as a track car - the 20" tires and huge brakes will not last long (with more speed comes more wear of consummables) and are very expensive to replace.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Boxster Coupe GTS:

Porsche 991 GT3 RS prototype testing at the Nurburgring...

2014-Porsche-991-GT3-RS-prototype_01.jpg

2014-Porsche-991-GT3-RS-prototype_02.jpg

2014-Porsche-991-GT3-RS-prototype_03.jpg

...looking forward to the Frankfurt motor show! Smiley

Smiley SmileySmiley

Thought the GT3 couldn't be bettered until I saw this. Amazing and thank you Boxster Coupe GT3 RS ;)

I get the feeling the RS may ship with the Turbo air intakes.... Will be very interesting!

Grant:
    reginos:  So, in terms of price to utility it is quite expensive.

It is also quite expensive to run as a track car - the 20" tires and huge brakes will not last long (with more speed comes more wear of consummables) and are very expensive to replace.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

I agree.  The 991 GT3 was definitely developed to sell in greater volumes, with the higher margins associated with the GT3's incremental price over the Carrera S.  As a result, it is less and less a car to drive to the track for a day of fun and then used to drive back home.  While the performance numbers are impressive, the costs of tracking this car will limit track use for most owners.

Porsche has made the GT3 into a marketing effort and all the talk about the advantages of the PDK-S are to drive sales volumes to higher levels than that for its manual transmission predecessors.  I've read enough about how the PDK-S has transformed the performance envelop of this new car and how integrated the systems are with the PDK-S to include the new rear differential.  Read carefully and one will realize that the manual version never was on table as as a viable option; the design of that rear differential is the clue.  

CGX car nut:
    Read carefully and one will realize that the manual version never was on table as as a viable option; the design of that rear differential is the clue.  

Although AP made it sound like a big deal that the diff needs hydraulic pressure from the PDK pump, it would be easy to add one to work with the e-diff and manual (BMW has been using electronically controlled mechanical diff for ages with manual box - at least since the E46 M3 in 2001).  Adding a small pump for the diff would be neither expensive nor very heavy.

--

Agreed with Grant. 

--

991 GT3 incoming, 964 Turbo 3.6, E36 M3 ltw S54 conversion, bunch of other stuff

CGX car nut:

As a result, it is less and less a car to drive to the track for a day of fun and then used to drive back home.  While the performance numbers are impressive, the costs of tracking this car will limit track use for most owners.

Well PAG isn't ignorant.  The company knows that all their cars are susceptible to track use, and the GT3 the most.  Cost of tires?  Eh.  No biggie for a lot of people.  Pocket change for many, and nothing compared to my offshore fishing habit. 

The car's flaws will be exploited on track to be sure. 

Personally, I think the 3 is detuned and will be robust on track.   IMHO.

--

991 GT3 incoming, 964 Turbo 3.6, E36 M3 ltw S54 conversion, bunch of other stuff

Of course Porsche knows that the GT3 will be susceptible to heavy track use but like their warranty says...no warranty for that, so they wouldn't really care. I still think that Preuninger had a challenge regarding the new GT3 and even more than the PDK, the new engine which replaces not only an old engine but some sort of legend, an institution. So I actually believe Preuninger and his team did a very good job because if they didn't, it will be obvious latest in a year or two and they cannot risk that. I also believe that the new engine is the base not only for motorsports but also future Porsche products, so they had to do a good job. Let's just see how reliable an engine is which can go up to 9000 rpm. I am a little bit worried about the drivers here, over-revving and all... (just check the ECU reading from most GT3 on the market and you'll notice that almost every driver has over-revved the engine a couple of times. Yes, it depends on what level but still...sh.t happens and I just hope that with the new PDK also comes a new safety feature which actually protects the engine more than in the past. For the good of the owners AND Porsche. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC. With PDK is is not possible to do a "money shift"?

This means that surely with PDK the engine is likely to siffer less (and teh clutch too) from poorly matched heel and toe downshifts on the track in a MT car?

Yes 9000 is high but the PDK makes it less of a liability to the engine than a mistake....

Grant:
    CGX car nut:
    Read carefully and one will realize that the manual version never was on table as as a viable option; the design of that rear differential is the clue.  

Although AP made it sound like a big deal that the diff needs hydraulic pressure from the PDK pump, it would be easy to add one to work with the e-diff and manual (BMW has been using electronically controlled mechanical diff for ages with manual box - at least since the E46 M3 in 2001).  Adding a small pump for the diff would be neither expensive nor very heavy.

I believe that we are reaching similar conclusions: the addition of a hydraulic pump for the differential is not a significant cost or engineering challenge for Porsche.  We already know that PDK, at the very least, on paper, offers a performance advantage over the manual, yet Porsche offers this option for "lesser" cars, so this leads one to conclude that Porsche has other motivations.  Porsche did realize that the GTS variant of the 997 sold at greater volumes than originally forecasted, and at higher margins.  Therefore, based on this, Porsche's management would naturally conclude that a higher margin GT3, with greater market appeal, i.e., with PDK exclusively, would lead to greater sales volumes. 

frayed:
    CGX car nut:

As a result, it is less and less a car to drive to the track for a day of fun and then used to drive back home.  While the performance numbers are impressive, the costs of tracking this car will limit track use for most owners.

Well PAG isn't ignorant.  The company knows that all their cars are susceptible to track use, and the GT3 the most.  Cost of tires?  Eh.  No biggie for a lot of people.  Pocket change for many, and nothing compared to my offshore fishing habit. 

The car's flaws will be exploited on track to be sure. 

Personally, I think the 3 is detuned and will be robust on track.   IMHO.

Never stated Porsche is ignorant; however, one did not that the higher costs/expenses associated with tracking this car, in agreement with Grant's similar statements, and coupled with higher sales volumes resulting with the greater market appeal of the PDK only concept, will lead to few cars on the track.   At a certain pricing point, a more dedicated track car  is more desirable.  

Porsche has a more dedicated track car...the 991 GT3 Cup. I assume that Porsche Motorsport will offer this car (or a similar one) at some point. Cost should be close to 250-300k EUR, not sure.

Here you go...wanna buy it? indecision

wink

1372870132962normal.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

That's the car a friend of mine that is really into tracking got. The GT3 was never a real track car. It is a road legal car than can be tracked once and a while.

RC:

Porsche has a more dedicated track car...the 991 GT3 Cup. I assume that Porsche Motorsport will offer this car (or a similar one) at some point. Cost should be close to 250-300k EUR, not sure.

wink

1372870132962normal.jpg

--

Late model 997 GT3 Cup cars are within the same price range as a new 911 GT3.  

CGX car nut:
    RC:

wink

1372870132962normal.jpg

--

Late model 997 GT3 Cup cars are within the same price range as a new 911 GT3.  

And there's the running costs of cup cars. Rebuilding the engine and gearbox etc every X miles... The costs of running a cup car makes the costs of running a GT3 on track negligible. 

Back in topic.  ;) anyone know for sure if the RS is getting the Turbo air intakes? It would make sense given the body. 

boytronic:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

2014-Porsche-991-GT3-RS-prototype_01.jpg

2014-Porsche-991-GT3-RS-prototype_02.jpg

Smiley SmileySmiley

Thought the GT3 couldn't be bettered until I saw this. Amazing and thank you Boxster Coupe GT3 RS ;)

I get the feeling the RS may ship with the Turbo air intakes.... Will be very interesting!

You all may think that I'm stupid, but isn't this a GT2 prototype instead of a GT3 RS???? :D

Those air intakes would make more sense on a GT2.... Or am I wrong?

--

I'm just another female petrolhead :)

SuzyF:

You all may think that I'm stupid, but isn't this a GT2 prototype instead of a GT3 RS???? :D

I think people have concluded that it's a GT3 based on the central exhausts and exhaust note that sounds more naturally aspirated than past GT2's.

--

Grant:
    SuzyF:

I think people have concluded that it's a GT3 based on the central exhausts and exhaust note that sounds more naturally aspirated than past GT2's.

Okay! :) that makes a lot of sense of course :) 

--

SuzyF:
    Grant:
    SuzyF:

SuzyF are you getting a GT3?

--

2011 Porsche Carrera 4S Platinum Silver (sold)
    2013 Porsche Panamera GTS Basalt Black

2013 Porsche Carrera S GT Silver

“The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively” 
    ― Bob Marley

SuzyF:
    boytronic:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

Smiley SmileySmiley

You are not wrong, since those vents are normally used for cooling air for a turbocharged engine's intercoolers, which a naturally aspirated GT3 would not have. 

--

fritz

fritz:
    SuzyF:
    boytronic:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

Smiley SmileySmiley

You are not wrong, since those vents are normally used for cooling air for a turbocharged engine's intercoolers, which a naturally aspirated GT3 would not have. 

I don't think the GTE LeMans winning 991s had turbos and they had air intakes in the same place. I recall reading that the purpose was to get a ram effect and more air to the intake manifold. 

chuckb:
    fritz:
    SuzyF:
    boytronic:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

Smiley SmileySmiley

I don't think the GTE LeMans winning 991s had turbos and they had air intakes in the same place. I recall reading that the purpose was to get a ram effect and more air to the intake manifold. 

Indeed, the naturally-aspirated Porsche 991 RSR Le Mans winning racecars have side air intakes...

Porsche-991-RSR_LeMans_05.jpg

...the 991 GT3 RS prototype also has the air-ram intake under the rear wing from the GT3...

...along with the GT3 centrally mounted exhaust...

Porsche-991-GT3-RS_Prototype-08.jpg

...listen to the engine on the 991 GT3 RS prototype, compared to a 997 GT2 RS...

2014 Porsche 991 GT3 RS and Porsche 997 GT2 RS at Nurburgring -- Video Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

mi0bEyZ.jpgvHFwdv3.jpg

--

The description is wrong...the GT3 doesn't have carbon-ceramic discs front and rear. You can order PCCB for it but sizes would be different (380 mm are the steel brakes, f/r).

Also there is a 90l fuel tank available for the GT3 (optional).

I also wonder why they claim a 7-speed dual clutch auto transmission because in fact this is a 7-speed dual clutch transmission which also offers an auto mode. This is not an automatic.

--

RC:

The description is wrong...the GT3 doesn't have carbon-ceramic discs front and rear. You can order PCCB for it but sizes would be different (380 mm are the steel brakes, f/r).

Also there is a 90l fuel tank available for the GT3 (optional).

I also wonder why they claim a 7-speed dual clutch auto transmission because in fact this is a 7-speed dual clutch transmission which also offers an auto mode. This is not an automatic.

Unfortunately the 90l fuel tank is not available for the UK, hence it wasn't mentioned in the review.

isn't the GT3 based on the 4S body shell, not the 2S as claimed??

ag23:
    SuzyF:
    Grant:
    SuzyF:

No, not a GT3 haha. Would like to have one, but not as my daily driver. It's gonna be a C4S with all the comfy options on it ;) 

maybe a GT3 as a weekend toy in the future... Who knows... ;)

first have to get some extra space to park cars if I decide to go collect them though... LOL

--

SuzyF:
    ag23:
    SuzyF:
    Grant:
    SuzyF:

No, not a GT3 haha. Would like to have one, but not as my daily driver. It's gonna be a C4S with all the comfy options on it ;) 

maybe a GT3 as a weekend toy in the future... Who knows... ;)

first have to get some extra space to park cars if I decide to go collect them though... LOL

Just curious, Suzy how many times you're changing your avatar a day? Smiley

--

Should we expect to see the new GT3 RS at Frankfurt in 8 weeks time?

boytronic:

I would be very surprised...

As far as I know, the 918 (final production version), the 991 GT3, the 991 Turbo/Turbo S and the 991 50th Anniversary Edition will be presented at the IAA in Frankfurt. There are also strong rumors that Porsche will show the Macan at the IAA and maybe a surprise car.

--

RC:
    boytronic:

I would be very surprised...

As far as I know, the 918 (final production version), the 991 GT3, the 991 Turbo/Turbo S and the 991 50th Anniversary Edition will be presented at the IAA in Frankfurt. There are also strong rumors that Porsche will show the Macan at the IAA and maybe a surprise car.

Targa?? No? Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763978 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436280 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260946 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257888 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82593 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876663 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808660 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM