Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 911 GT3 (991)

Oh boy!

Nick's gonna use the PDK drums to put an end to the manual vs pdk debate (damn you Sutcliffe!) no indecision

That is one impressive review. To say that the 991GT3 is the best Porsche he has ever driven but to go on to say it is the best sport car he has driven is quite a compliment.

BiTurbo what can I say "I told you so"Smiley

nberry:

That is one impressive review. To say that the 991GT3 is the best Porsche he has ever driven but to go on to say it is the best sport car he has driven is quite a compliment.

I think he said best porsche ever made, and I dunno, I'm speechless. . . .  'I think' the best sports car I've ever driven.  ;)

--

991 GT3 incoming, 964 Turbo 3.6, E36 M3 ltw S54 conversion, bunch of other stuff

For me, Steve Sutcliffe review (Autocar) is the best so far!! kiss

nberry:

Nick, I ordered a 991 Turbo S and even I say that the 991 GT3 is not only the best offer from Porsche right now but probably the sportiest Porsche available and the best 911 ever (maybe excluding the 997 GT2 RS but this beast is in a different price class). I would get a GT3 too in a heartbeat if I could afford both (Turbo S and GT3).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), 991 Turbo S (Oct. 5th), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Sounds amazing!!! Great review! I am glad I have a production slot for December!!! Can't wait... 

--

2011 Porsche Carrera 4S Platinum Silver (sold)
    2013 Porsche Panamera GTS Basalt Black

2013 Porsche Carrera S GT Silver

“The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively” 
    ― Bob Marley

It was a POOR review.

Anyone can get into a sports car and have fun. Where was the actual journalism this guy is paid for? No doubt this is a great car but the CH review was much more meaningful than a journo acting like a kid in a YouTube clip.

Also, Autocar is not the UK equivalent of SportAuto. In fact I don't think we even have anything as technical as SportAuto over here. Autocar would be better compared to Car and Driver - even that is going a little to far :)

Regardless - the new GT3 rocks. Let's hope the engine is reliable and they can get the weight below 1400kg on the RS.

boytronic:

It was a POOR review.

Anyone can get into a sports car and have fun. Where was the actual journalism this guy is paid for? No doubt this is a great car but the CH review was much more meaningful than a journo acting like a kid in a YouTube clip.

Also, Autocar is not the UK equivalent of SportAuto. In fact I don't think we even have anything as technical as SportAuto over here. Autocar would be better compared to Car and Driver - even that is going a little to far :)

Regardless - the new GT3 rocks. Let's hope the engine is reliable and they can get the weight below 1400kg on the RS.

To me, that review had more specific information about the business of driving the car than any of the many " hand ringing for traditionalists" monologues.  On top of the narrative, the pictures illustrated the superior handling and shifting and driving dynamics quite well.  It was not a technical treatise - that is not Sutcliff's niche in the crowded Internet auto commentator space, so belaboring that is just strange. 

In the old days whenever a driver had the privilege to test drive a GT3, the first thing he'd do is whine and cry about noise, notchy gear shifts, stiff clutch pedal and harsh suspension, but that no longer exists in the current beefed up carrera.....errrr GT3 indecision

Here we have a driver aka "The Professor" that's been complaining for decades and I believe this new GT3 will fit him very well   he almost sounds like our version of Nick smiley

boytronic:

It was a POOR review.

(...)

Steve Sutcliffe have at least same professionalism as Chris Harris has... don`t see where and why is acting like a kid...Is just being human and journalist at the same time, wich is perfectly normal...

boytronic:

It was a POOR review.

Sutcliffe is not Chris Harris, which has a talent to express his feelings and opinions in a certain, technical but also emotional way. Still, I enjoyed the review and the video. Right now, I am happy for every bit of information and every single video regarding the 991 GT3 and the new 991 Turbo/Turbo S.

I wish German Sport Auto would actually do some real video reviews, not just some short videos, I would even pay good money for them. Let's say a 20 minute video, starting with development, maybe some history of that specific car and then a nice road and track test, depending on the car. A story, I would love to see a story from them, not just some fragments of a short test drive. I need to feel emotionally connected to a car and short reviews just don't cut it.

Take Top Gear for example: I stopped watching it. It is like watching a couple of clowns driving in cars and having fun. This is great if you want to entertain people but for me, a car enthusiast, this type of "information" is rubbish. It doesn't give me anything, maybe some entertainment, if I am interested in the car but nothing else.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), 991 Turbo S (Oct. 5th), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Porsche hasn't given the car out to journos for extended testing, hence the short 'first drive' clips.

To me these are valuable b/c they put to rest, or at least shed light, on the central issue bugging me once you get past all the drama associated with the non mezger motor, e steering, PDK!!, and RWS: is the car a great drive??

I think we all know the answer to that despite many not wanting to admit it.

--

991 GT3 incoming, 964 Turbo 3.6, E36 M3 ltw S54 conversion, bunch of other stuff

Is the 991GT3 a limited production car for Porsche? What about the 991TT and TTS are they limited production?

My reason for asking is those wanting a GT3 will have difficulty getting one unless they sign up early for one. However, the 991TT and TTS appear to be available and can be had in a very short time.

boytronic:

It was a POOR review.

Indeed this is a great review done by i guy whose reviews i value a lot. He himself being a very good driver and giving to the point comments. IMO one couldnt do a better job in a five minutes video clip. It is silly to compare this review to a Sport Auto test... 

Smiley

--

turbolite

turbolite:
    boytronic:

It was a POOR review.

Indeed this is a great review done by i guy whose reviews i value a lot. He himself being a very good driver and giving to the point comments. IMO one couldnt do a better job in a five minutes video clip. It is silly to compare this review to a Sport Auto test... 

Smiley

No one is claiming that Sutcliffe video is as comprehensive as a SpotAuto test. FWIW, SportAuto also did a video on the GT3 and basically used the same approach as Sutcliffe.

AutoCar and SportAuto are considered top car magazines.

nberry:

Is the 991GT3 a limited production car for Porsche? What about the 991TT and TTS are they limited production?

My reason for asking is those wanting a GT3 will have difficulty getting one unless they sign up early for one. However, the 991TT and TTS appear to be available and can be had in a very short time.

These cars are not limited in the sense that P promises a fixed production run, but at some point they would presumably run out of production capacity for things like the new GT3 engine... I thought earlier there was a quote from P that they hoped to increase GT3 sales with this model, but no idea as to what level of sales they are targeting.  In the past it has not been hard to pick up GT3s in the used category, as these cars seem to attract short term owners.

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

As far as I can remember GT3 in the US have had waiting lists and limited allocations. My friend even paid above list for a used 997 GT3, another way over list for a used 997 GT3RS...

throt:

I love it but does anyone think the front end is a bit too busy, aftermarket look ?.. Maybe look better in the flesh..

Uhhhh.... have you seen the backend?  Its called visual balance. Shrinking violets need not apply. Drive this boy racer winged vehicle to the office parking lot everyday vs the more buttoned down Turbo and I guarantee some colleagues who drive Priuses will think you are a tool . 

What a great review from  Autocar and what a fantastic car!! SmileySmiley I usually find their reviews too cold and clinical, but Steve Sutcliff is getting emotional in this review, which is a testament of how amazing the 991 GT3 is. Smiley

Even Andreas Preuninger wouldn't use all these superlatives to describe his baby. I think all the debate about PDK, e-steering and the Mezger engine should be buried now.

What an achievement from Stuttgart kiss

--

"Form follows function"

nberry:

None of these cars is a limited edition. If you want a car with a collector's value later one, you better wait for the GT3 RS or maybe GT2.

The 991 Turbo S could be limited...by it's price tag. Same goes to the Panamera Turbo S for example, I heard that less than 500 cars made it to customers since it has been presented, not sure if this is true however.

So a GT3 RS would surely hold it's value better since it is going to be sold in lesser numbers.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Like the Cayenne TTS I seriously doubt the 991 TTS or Panamera TTS will hold value well. Actually they will have the worst depreciation % wise of all the range.

SciFrog:

Like the Cayenne TTS I seriously doubt the 991 TTS or Panamera TTS will hold value well. Actually they will have the worst depreciation % wise of all the range.

They would hold their value much better if there were some substantial differences like different chassis, different turbo chargers, etc. but the "S"  version is basically a more expensive, more powerful version but there is nothing really different worth "collecting".

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Boxster Coupe GTS:
    pxaxh:

OMG, too much epicness in one video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei0mTXcKwQA

...991 GT3 sounds good, thanks! Smiley

...wonder when we will start to see Porsche 991 GT3 RS prototypes road testing? Smiley

Smiley SmileySmiley

Just in case anyone forgot how Awesome this Normally Aspirated engine sounds!!!!Smiley

--

“The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively” 
    ― Bob Marley

2014 Porsche 911 GT3 Coupe -- First Drive by Edmunds

"It's PDK or Nothing This Time Around"

Published: 07/01/2013  - by Simon Green, Contributor

"We are not ignorant, Porsche is not ignorant," says Andreas Preuninger, the engineer in charge of the company's GT series cars, with the air of a man who wishes to draw the current subject of conversation to a close.

We've been discussing the decision not to offer a manual transmission in the new 2014 Porsche 911 GT3. It's a topic of conversation that has consumed most of his waking hours for the past six months and, to be fair to the man, not one on which he can offer much more.

For reasons of cost, engineering and marketing, Porsche has chosen to build the newest GT3 (the car that perhaps connects the company with hard-core drivers better than any other in its model range) with only two pedals.

Accordingly, the cognoscenti have gone native on Porsche. There will be no manual GT3, and Wolfgang Hatz, Porsche's R&D chief, has stated that even the RS version of the GT3 will be PDK-only, which would put an end to speculation were it not for Preuninger's pointed assertion that Porsche is not ignorant.

If the lack of a manual hinders sales, I think we can assume that the company will reconsider the strategy. But not for now. It's an automatic or nothing.

No Complaining About the Engine

Given the extent to which the transmission has dominated discussions before anyone has actually driven the 2014 Porsche 911 GT3, it might come as a surprise to learn that the gearshift is not the first thing that grabs your attention in this car. The motor dominates the experience.

There was also much discussion among the Porsche community that the 991 GT3 would suffer for not using the classic split-case flat-6 that lifted it above the regular Carrera. However, the first time you stretch this new derivative of the 9A1, 3.8-liter direct-injection boxer beyond 7,000 rpm, you realize that the rabble-rousing was unnecessary.

This is a sensational engine, smooth and musical from 1,500 rpm to 8,500 rpm, whereupon its character shifts into something altogether racecar for a final 500-rpm push to the 9,000-rpm cutout. Its 475 horses produces one of the most unadulterated mechanical sounds you'll hear in a new car. It's so addictive you keep extending the motor to hear it.

And That's Not All

Then there's the chassis. Electric power steering is undoubtedly a negative development for sports cars in terms of driver involvement, but this has to be the best resolved system yet devised. There's more weight than a standard Carrera and a far greater sense of connection with the front axle; in fact, you'd swear it was an entirely new steering system, but the hardware is identical to the normal 911's, as all the changes are in the software and calibration.

A completely new set of lower suspension arms and different tires also contribute. It's certainly a little more muted than the last 997 GT3's steering, but it's pretty damn good.

Better still is the chassis. A longer wheelbase and wider front track already helped the 991 understeer less than 911s of old, but the GT3 is a big step forward. The suspension sits 1.2 inches lower than the standard Carrera and utilizes lightweight components that shave nearly 15 pounds of weight off the running gear. Then there's the rear steer system and an electronic locking rear differential that makes it a revelation on the road: fluid, keen to change direction and far more nimble than its claimed 3,153-pound curb weight would suggest.

Grip levels are exceptional for a street car, but if you switch the traction and stability control off you can play with the rear axle just as you could in the old car. The rear steering moves into a fixed position and you end up with a machine that will smoke its tires all day long.

A Retuned Automatic That Works

And only once you've grinned at the brilliance of the engine and admired the advances Porsche has made with the chassis and its seamless integration of four-wheel steering do you stop and think about that transmission. And you ask yourself two questions: Is it a good dual-clutch gearbox, and would the GT3 be better with a good old manual?

The PDK here is a vastly different piece of equipment to the one found in other Porsches. It has shorter gears with tighter spacing and can shift between them in under 100 milliseconds the instant you pull either paddle, both of which have half the movement of a regular PDK paddle. Even the gearlever has been changed to allow a pull backward to bring an upshift, as it should be in any racing car.

With seven gears and a motor that revs to nine grand, it's hard to argue against this gearbox for road use. As a powertrain package together they are compelling, the paddles allowing you to nip that 9,000-rpm limit and enjoy the crack of exhaust as the revs drop a little. It's a new kind of driving: one that hard-core GT3 fans might not buy into, but from behind the wheel the car feels utterly alive. You can even disengage the clutch by pulling both levers to simulate a clutch-kick.

About That Manual Gearbox

As slick as the PDK is, a car like this should surely offer both options. For those who want to work a stick and enjoy the fruits of their own skills, often learned over decades, the new 2014 Porsche 911 GT3 will be a slight disappointment. But I defy any of those people to not celebrate how impressive this car has become.

The interior is exactly what you'd expect of a GT3: a light twist on the 991 theme with a few scattered badges, that imposing 9,000-rpm red sector and, should you want them, carbon bucket seats. If there's anything to wince about, it's the hand-me-down steering wheel and shift paddles from the last-generation 997 Turbo S.

Only time will tell if Porsche made the right decision with the 991 GT3's specification. It's a stunning car to drive: faster, more agile and, well, plain better in every area. But the GT3 brand also contained an unspoken contract between driver and machine that has been slightly broken with the insertion of two metal paddles. We'll have to wait and see if the sales numbers reflect any loss of enthusiasm...

Smiley SmileySmiley

OMG!

i have never been so excited by a car before!

Can't wait to get mine!!!

--

― Bob Marley

Porsche 991 GT3 RS prototype testing at the Nurburgring...

2014-Porsche-991-GT3-RS-prototype_01.jpg

2014-Porsche-991-GT3-RS-prototype_02.jpg

2014-Porsche-991-GT3-RS-prototype_03.jpg

...looking forward to the Frankfurt motor show! Smiley

Smiley SmileySmiley

of course it will sell like hot cakes - now that more people can drive it indecision

BjoernB:

of course it will sell like hot cakes - now that more people can drive it indecision

Smiley

--

BjoernB:

More people will be able to drive it, true but also those who could drive the previous models well,  will take the joy of being even faster in the new one.

The new GT3 is a winner for everybody. It is the epitome of Porsche sportiness for the new era.

It is affordable for what it can do but OTOH of limited use given its extrovert appearance and restricted ground clearance (the lift is of use at walking pace only)  and too focused tyres. So, in terms of price to utility it is quite expensive. Unless, someone could afford a large garage.

--

"Form follows function"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM