Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Bye bye Italian heritage, Hello British heritage

I actually came across Rennteam thanks to Whoopsy mentioning that he had picked up a McLaren recently. I did too. I let go of my Ferrari Scuderia recently to a friend of mine.

I picked up the Scuderia almost 3 years ago to go along with my Turbo which I still have. I still love that thing to bits and pieces even after almost 7 years and 44,000 well earned miles. I remember the day when I picked her up as if it was yesterday

I'm definitely going to keep her for a while longer. I have a few more modifications in mind for her....but that's not what I came here for.  For a very long time I've been a big fan of the McLaren F1 and it was with a special honor that I was finally able to realize a lifelong dream to see a F1 LM in person at the recent Geneve Show.

I also had a chance to check out the new P1 up close and personally. 

But again...that was only the start for me. I had considered getting the next "supercar" by McLaren which is the P1. I spoke with both Jamie Weir and Marcus Korbach from McLaren at considerable length about the P1 and the future of McLaren. I loved the direction McLaren was going in and they truly have a passion for the cars that they design, engineer and ultimately execute in production form. I've been no less impressed by every one of their creations thus so far. I was so close to placing a deposit for a P1. So close that I could almost taste it. But practicality reared it's ugly head. I could not afford to just plunk 1.3 million dollars (and change) for a car that had an uncertain future in terms of appreciating value against the dollar. It would be both an investment and something for me to enjoy. I wouldn't buy it to keep as a garage queen. I would buy it to actually drive! 

I came here to let you folks know that I have joined the McLaren family with my latest acquistion. I realized that it made much more sense for me to pick up a MP4-12C instead. The final nail in the straw was when I met up with a friend who had a MP4-12C coupe.

I followed closely in my Turbo as much as I could but there was simply no way I could keep up with him as he flew down the highway with my dad riding shotgun. When his ride was over, he was as white as a ghost. That was it for me. I knew that meant I had to get one. I tried to buy his but he would not sell me his so I made the conscious decision to go out and buy one. I had the criteria in front of me. It had to be McLaren orange and a coupe. I let my friend, Alessandro, the sales director at McLaren of San Francisco know that was what I wanted. A few days later, he showed me a few pictures of an orange MP4-12C but it was a Spyder. I had never been interested in droptops but every reviews, everywhere I read, all was said how much the coupe and spyder were alike. There was only 80 lbs separating the two and the performance differences were so close. I had driven the coupe on several occasions but never the Spyder. But it was such a wonderful spec and Alessandro had put together a deal that was just impossible to resist. In the end, I decided to let my Scuderia go and get the Spyder. My friend with the coupe had actually been wanting my Scuderia so he ended up buying it! You can see him grinning from ear to ear as I handed him the keys earlier in this thread. 

And so, it is with great pleasure that I introduce to you, boys and girls, my newest pride and joy! 

Alessandro handing off the key to me as I proudly take delivery.

She is a 2013 MP4-12C Spyder in McLaren orange (my favorite color) with just about every option available from McLaren with the exception of parking sensors and MSO (McLaren Special Operations) parts. I probably will get some upgrades from them eventually but for now she will have to do with a few "mods." 

When I flew down to California, that was my first time to see my car in the flesh and my first time to get behind the wheel of a Spyder. I had never thought of myself as a roadster type of fellow so I had approached this with a certain degree of skepticism. Needless to say, within 5 minutes of getting on the road, those concerns had magically disappeared. I drove first with the top up,...the rear splitter windows up..it was as quiet as a coupe that I had driven before but once the window went down, everything changed. She sounded like a BEAST! She had come alive like nothing else I had experienced before. She sounded like a real MACHINE with a hell of a bark! Yeah, I could live with this I thought! YOW! It wasn't long before I realized that I was going 20-30 mph faster than I thought I was. We all know about how modern cars are so good that they lull us into a false security of thinking that we are safe because of all the safety devices designed. Well, this car does a good job of "coddling" us but at the same time giving us enough feedback to help us "feel" the road ahead. I could feel the steering wheel coming alive as every crevice was felt but not to the point where it'd be considered obtrusive. It was the perfect balance. McLaren truly has outdone themselves. It truly is magical how I could actually tell the difference in how the car rode, felt, drove and sounded between all the different driving modes from N, S and T (Normal, Sport and Track) modes. This McLaren is a revelation for all. Whoopsy had pointed out quite well that Porsche was known for their cold precision efficiency whereas Ferrari is known for its soul. Well, I can safely say that to me, McLaren has managed to somehow combine the two. It may not have the same wailing sound that is so often heard/felt from engines coming out of Maranello or the "sewing-like" precision emanating from the engines from Stuttgart. Bravo, McLaren..you have done it! You have created, to me, as far as I'm concerned the perfect driving machine. I simply cannot get over how well this car soaks up the bumps yet manages to avoid sudden changes brought on imperfect road conditions. I LOVE this thing! That's for sure! :)

I flew home thinking...I have good things in store with the new McLaren. I'm the first in the Seattle area with such a beast and she is perfect!

Re: Bye bye Italian heritage, Hello British heritage

Quite an evolution. Congratulations!

You made the right decision, that’s for sure. Congrats and nice pics by the way ;)

Beautiful car, congratulations! 

Congratulations ! Their seems to be more and more people going for the McLaren , instead of a Turbo or 458 .

I am also very tempted by one  after the fantastic day I had driving one . 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Congrats, you know it !

Gnil:

Congratulations ! Their seems to be more and more people going for the McLaren , instead of a Turbo or 458 .

It's all starting to make sense,after the logical awareness adjustment post introduction of the car period has taken place and after a large enough number of relevant buyers got to drive the car,rather than just read media reports,many now recongnise its merits in comparison to what is available in the market.

Personally i felt it would be like that in 2012 when the car was seriously negged by many

btw,car has a lot of soul...of a different kind,British semi understated soul...

Congratulations, Jason. What a surprise (and a pleasant one too). The color is amazing, I saw one in the very same color in Munich a couple of weeks ago, it fits the car perfectly. Smiley Enjoy it good health and more photos please (when you find the time...after driving Smiley). Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

hugo:
    Gnil:

It's all starting to make sense,after the logical awareness adjustment post introduction of the car period has taken place and after a large enough number of relevant buyers got to drive the car,rather than just read media reports,many now recongnise its merits in comparison to what is available in the market.

Personally i felt it would be like that in 2012 when the car was seriously negged by many

btw,car has a lot of soul...of a different kind,British semi understated soul...

I actually think that the MP4-12C has some sort of mixed German-Italian soul, very technical at some point but also emotional and passionate. I cannot see much of a British soul in the MP4-12C, please don't get me wrong but maybe this is a good thing. Just think Aston Martin or Jaguar and you'll understand why the lack of a true British soul in the MP4-12C may actually be an advantage. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Congratulations, great choice and enjoy many safe miles - and thank you also for helping our country's economy - we can't have all the money for great cars going  to Germany and Italy!! Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

What a beauty! Congrats and many happy milesSmiley

Congrats! Love the pics

Thanks everyone! I'm not sure why I couldn't develop a connection with the Scuderia. I liked it but I didn't truly love it. I held on to it too long thinking and hoping that I would eventually fall in love but that never happened. Time to move on. I love my Porsche Turbo and I already love the MP4-12C. My first Spyder ownership and it was not what I was expecting! I'm a convert, that's for sure! 

Congrats for such an awesome car!!!

--

1987 911 Carrera 3.2 - 1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2012 Cayenne Diesel - 2010 Abarth 500 - 1995 BMW318ti

kiss

atomic80:

Thanks everyone! I'm not sure why I couldn't develop a connection with the Scuderia. I liked it but I didn't truly love it. I held on to it too long thinking and hoping that I would eventually fall in love but that never happened. Time to move on. I love my Porsche Turbo and I already love the MP4-12C. My first Spyder ownership and it was not what I was expecting! I'm a convert, that's for sure! 

Congrats again, Jason - that is a beaut.  Will be interesting to see how your dealer experience is - San Fran is almost 1000 miles away, not so convenient as servicing your Turbo.  Several on RT have noted that one of the negatives of McLaren ownership could be the scarcity of dealers, who depending on where you live could be a bit far away for instant and easy servicing.  

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Thanks 4trac, believe me I did think about that. I wouldn't have normally considered it if not for their willingness to make it as easy as possible for me. The other plus is that they are opening another McLaren dealership up in Vancouver BC which is 2 hours from me so I can at least go up there for servicing if needed. 

atomic80:

Thanks 4trac, believe me I did think about that. I wouldn't have normally considered it if not for their willingness to make it as easy as possible for me. The other plus is that they are opening another McLaren dealership up in Vancouver BC which is 2 hours from me so I can at least go up there for servicing if needed. 

Ah OK, I didn't realize Whoopsy had so much clout in Vancouver... Smiley   but I did see a volcano red MP4 when in Vancouver last week so I know his isn't the only one there, despite the absence of a dealer so far.   

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Smiley   congratulations. I really really like the MP4-12C a lot. I can fully share your observations in sense of it being the right soul mate between Maranello and Zuffenhausen, by keeping its own character.  Great drivers cars!

Fantastic car and great stable mate to your wonderful Turbo. wink

Many congrats! kiss

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

It's coming...

Should be here tomorrow!

Congratulations! The ONLY colour to have your first McLaren in.

Congrats Jason, you will love that car.

kiss

Amazing car Jason many many congrats !! The MP4 is one of the few cars with a filding hardtop where I think the spyder looks better than the coupe version. It just looks fantastic both wiht the roof up or down. ! thanks for the pics and for sharing your opinions. Also those pics of the P1 are way too cool !!  

If only Jason's brain went dead for 5 mins and he went all out for the P1. he would be the first one here to order one, haha. 

Congrats ! I guess I need to test-drive one too after all those great reviews !!! indecision

Congrats Jason!

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II,2011 Cayenne Turbo

crayphile:

Congratulations! The ONLY colour to have your first McLaren in.

Exactly. I see a silver one almost everyday and it's so boring...

Congratulations!

She's almost home! Arrived yesterday on the transport. Dropped off to get clear film installed. Should be done by tomorrow night! 

just fantastic ,congratulations man

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689536 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409215 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255732 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234985 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4646 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857957 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774019 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM